Swimming after a relaxer???

Alisha08

Hi ladies, tomorrow i will be going to the beach and plan on swimming in the indoor pool at our hotel. I just got a relaxer exactly one week ago and need to know if it is it safe for the chlorine to get in my hair? any other suggestions?

Inches411

im reallly not sure but i would coat my hair with a very moisturizing conditioner and put it in a bun before i go into the pool. once u leave the pool make sure to shampoo your hair with a chelating shampoo and another deep conditioner of course

Alisha08

okay thanks! am i supposed to rinse the conditioner out or leave it in while going into the pool? bumping for more responses.

frizzy

Wet your hair before getting in the pool or ocean. It is better for your hair to absorb fresh water than salt or chlorinated water. Have fun!

ETA--I would wet it, then grease and cover with a swimcap to prevent the Coast Guard from coming out to clean up the oil slick in the water. :lachen: I know that was dumb :look:

Last edited:

Alisha08

Wet your hair before getting in the pool or ocean. It is better for your hair to absorb fresh water than salt or chlorinated water. Have fun!

ETA--I would wet it, then grease and cover with a swimcap to prevent the Coast Guard from coming out to clean up the oil slick in the water. :lachen: I know that was dumb :look:

OMGoodness, you really made me burst out laughing!! LMAO :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: But okay thanks, Inches411 mentioned the conditioner as well and i wasn't sure if i was to wash it out or keep it in because of that very reason. Thanks ladies. More responses anyone?

Ms.Joi

I guess I am behind on the hair care rules, but I have been in a pool a week after a relaxer without the conditioners, caps, and oils.

I just shampooed and dc'd. My hair was fine. :blush:
The prepoo and cap does sound like a great idea though.

Not sure on this one; I hope more chime in before you go swimming. Let us know what you decided and your results.

PassionFruit

I took a swimming class last semester... leaving conditioner in BEFORE was a mess...

I wouldnt use shampoo but Id do maybe an ACV rinse then co-wash with a moisturizing product after

vaqtea

I guess I am behind on the hair care rules, but I have been in a pool a week after a relaxer without the conditioners, caps, and oils.

I just shampooed and dc'd. My hair was fine. :blush:
The prepoo and cap does sound like a great idea though.

Not sure on this one; I hope more chime in before you go swimming. Let us know what you decided and your results.

Yep, I agree on this.

I swim all summer long! I have even been swimming 2 days after a relaxer :ohwell:
Just make sure you shampoo and dc afterwards, it worked great for me!

Traycee

im reallly not sure but i would coat my hair with a very moisturizing conditioner and put it in a bun before i go into the pool. once u leave the pool make sure to shampoo your hair with a chelating shampoo and another deep conditioner of course

agreed.......but if you don't have chelating shampoo rinse with apple cider vinegar...

oh ....your hair is like a sponge so wet it completely first that way it does not absorb so much chlorine....After you wet your hair then coat with conditioner

ladylibra

get your hair good and wet, then saturate with conditioner or a leave-in. i've found that the more they coat your hair, the better... that way, you don't have that chlorine soaking into your strands.

when you shower again after swimming, be sure to chelate. i had to take a swimming class in high school... 6 weeks of being in a pool every other day. a friend of mine on the swim team had thick APL hair and she gave me this advice (yes, she was black... we also ran track together). i can't remember what shampoo i used back then (that was a decade ago! :blush: ) but it was specifically made for swimmers. it was awesome. my hair didn't suffer a bit and i never forgot her words. :yep:

lovelychar

Yes soak it then coat it.:grin: I had a bad experience while in college from relaxing and then going swimming 2 weeks after I relaxer and didn't wash or condition it before hand. My hair was coming out in clumps when I was trying to wash it after swimming. Ahd I known then that that was all I had to do. I would have saved a lot of hair lost. Of course now you see I recovered. At that time I grabed every conditioner, deep conditioner, treatment, cholesterol, etc. I could find in my apt. slabbed it on and left it in for 3 days. I saved what hair I had left.

Alisha08

First thanks to all the ladies that responded, it was greatly appreciated and helped a lot!!

Ok, so i rinsed, then coated my hair in some old conditioner i had and put on my white swim cap and went swimming---and i mean swimming, my friend and i were doing summersaults, and back flips and everything in the pool, but thats another story. lol

So i get back and have to do quickie wash so we can get something to eat but i noticed my hair felt SO GOOD, and moisturized. Then we get back and my hair is partially dry and i decided to clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying, poo with Creme of Nature, and condition again with Kenra MC. Then I applied Giovanni Direct, Chi Silk Infusion, blew it dry and flat-ironed it (with a Chi iron and more Chi Silk Infusion), and let me say my hair has NEVER LOOKED BETTER, and i'm being so sincere, it looks better now than it did when i went to the beach. :grin: Its so swangy, soft, strong and moisturized!! I got so many compliments!!! I may have to go swimming after every relaxer. :lol:

Last edited:

PassionFruit

wanted to update this thread with somethign I ran across

http://www.matrixbeautiful.com/products/biolage/hydratherapie.aspx

Biolage™ Conditioning Balm

• Replenish dry, stressed hair with a dose of intense moisture.
• Infused with a complex of algae and aloe vera to help restore hair's moisture balance.
• Hydrating Shampoo, Conditioning Balm and Cera-Repair® treatment nourish hair for superior softness, shine and manageability.

Professional Stylist Tip
Before you go into the pool or sun, wet your hair and work in some Biolage Conditioning Balm. Then slick hair back into a tight braid if it's long enough. The conditioner will help to keep the chemicals from absorbing into your hair.
If you can, rinse your hair in plain water after getting out of the pool, so the pool water doesn't dry into your hair.