Wearing a Half Wig as a Protective Style?

Lady Esquire

Ladies, who wear half-wigs, spill the beans!!! What's the real deal w/these?

I wore a full wig for about 8 months back in '05.
PRO: It helped me transition. I cut off all of my damaged, relaxed ends... and started over with a teeny weeny afro.
CON: It stressed the hell outta my hairline, and I am still recovering.

I have since gone relaxed, and currently approaching BSL. Once I get there, I want to give my hair a break, while cutting off some of the layers. I'm guesstimating that it will take a year or so to grow out to a fuller, blunt look. I'm thinking that a half-wig will help me acheive my goal (but I'll still be able to nurse my hairline).

What are the pros and cons to wearing a half wig? Was it an effective protective style?

fluffylocks

Pro:
*Looks like a sew-in weave, but you can take it on & off nightly to moisturize (same as a wig though i suppose), may look more realistic than a full weave because some of your hair is out.

Cons:
*Some people say that the comb gives them breakage/stress
* The first inch or so of your hairline you may have to manipulate to blend in with the fall.

I've only heard of a couple of people saying that the comb gives them breakage, and i dont know if its common or not for the front of your hair to get stressed from a full wig, ---so that may or may not give you problems, but i've heard of people taking the comb out and using other things to keep it secure--pins and stuff.

Very effective protective style from my experience.

Hey LadyEsq-

Pros: Fast, easy, low-maintenance protective style (not a bun!) that requires little manipulation and allows the majority of your hair to grow without incident.

Cons: I honestly can't think of any as long as you find one that doesn't require you to do too much to your own hair to make it match. You should also put a bit of oil/butter on the combs to avoid dryness and breakage in those areas.

I've been wearing them consistently for close to a year while transitioning and I think they have helped quite a bit- I hope to have comparison pics that confirm this in the next few months.

Lady Esquire

Pro:
*Looks like a sew-in weave, but you can take it on & off nightly to moisturize (same as a wig though i suppose), may look more realistic than a full weave because some of your hair is out.

Cons:
*Some people say that the comb gives them breakage/stress
* The first inch or so of your hairline you may have to manipulate to blend in with the fall.

I've only heard of a couple of people saying that the comb gives them breakage, and i dont know if its common or not for the front of your hair to get stressed from a full wig, ---so that may or may not give you problems, but i've heard of people taking the comb out and using other things to keep it secure--pins and stuff.

Very effective protective style from my experience.

If the comb causes me problems, the pins are a good idea. Thanks.

Lady Esquire

Hey LadyEsq-

Pros: Fast, easy, low-maintenance protective style (not a bun!) that requires little manipulation and allows the majority of your hair to grow without incident.

Cons: I honestly can't think of any as long as you find one that doesn't require you to do too much to your own hair to make it match. You should also put a bit of oil/butter on the combs to avoid dryness and breakage in those areas.

I've been wearing them consistently for close to a year while transitioning and I think they have helped quite a bit- I hope to have comparison pics that confirm this in the next few months.

Adding oil to the combs is a good idea...suppose its good for slippage.

I look forward to seeing your progress pics.

Thanks.

I :love: my half wigs! Please don't ask how many I have :grin:. I just nurse the front hair that is out. I try to minimize the heat I use on the part that is out no matter how much I want it to blend. I make sure to apply castor oil, Profectiv's Anti-Thinning balm or MN to my hairline.

Pros:
  • keeps hair protected
  • your hair can stay moisturized under it since it and your head is generating heat under it
  • no manipulation underneath
  • you can baggy under there
Cons:
  • trying to find what works best to style the left out hair
  • finding the perfect fit
  • placing the combs in the same place (just like a bun or ponytail you have to reposition it once and a while)
Tip:
  • do a rollerset to smooth your hair without heat to get a blendable silky and flat look to your hair to blend
  • try a natural looking halfsies so that you can do a braid or twist out with your hair and blend it in with the wig
  • just put all your hair under it and wear a head band over it. (I do this when I'm lazy but come to find out it helps putting less stress on the left out hair
  • I get those cheap spray on colors that wash out and spray it in a brush and while the wig is on, kind of brush the color from the left out hair into the wig. Tossle it and you can't tell where my hair color is compared to the wig. Works like a charm! Looks like strikes almost.
HTH

sweetpeadst

I :love: my half wigs! Please don't ask how many I have :grin:. I just nurse the front hair that is out. I try to minimize the heat I use on the part that is out no matter how much I want it to blend. I make sure to apply castor oil, Profectiv's Anti-Thinning balm or MN to my hairline.

Pros:
  • keeps hair protected
  • your hair can stay moisturized under it since it and your head is generating heat under it
Cons:
  • placing the combs in the same place (just like a bun or ponytail you have to reposition it once and a while)
Tip:
  • do a rollerset to smooth your hair without heat to get a blendable silky and flat look to your hair to blend
  • try a natural looking halfsies so that you can do a braid or twist out with your hair and blend it in with the wig
  • just put all your hair under it and wear a head band over it. (I do this when I'm lazy but come to find out it helps putting less stress on the left out hair
  • I get those cheap spray on colors that wash out and spray it in a brush and while the wig is on, kind of brush the color from the left out hair into the wig. Tossle it and you can't tell where my hair color is compared to the wig. Works like a charm! Looks like strikes almost.
HTH
good tips just bought three this morning!

Caramela

I've just recently started using 1/2 wigs and I wish I'd found them earlier.

pros: presentable hair (no buns or looking raggety for the sake of growing out my hair, can quickly change styles: curly, straight, wavy - without much effort, hair underneath can be moisturized daily

cons: not aware of any as of yet although I've heard about the combs leading to breakage. I haven't had any issues as in, I haven't seen one broken hair due to the combs. You have to very carefully and gently insert and remove them. Also the hair that you blend is being manipulated but it's only a little of it. I put out anywhere from 1-3 inches depending on the style and/or texture of the fall.

The key is finding an exact match on the color and/or texture so it looks believable.

Lady Esquire

Pros:
  • keeps hair protected
Cons:
Tip:
HTH
Great tips. Thank you so much!

I used to baggy under my full-wig and that was a major PRO. :yep:

SweetlyBlessed, I have not seen those spray-on colors in years. Where do you buy yours?

Lady Esquire

pros: presentable hair (no buns or looking raggety for the sake of growing out my hair, can quickly change styles: curly, straight, wavy - without much effort, hair underneath can be moisturized daily

I heard that! Walking around jacked-up is not a good look. :nono::lachen:

Great tips. Thank you so much!

I used to baggy under my full-wig and that was a major PRO. :yep:

SweetlyBlessed, I have not seen those spray-on colors in years. Where do you buy yours?

I found it in a local BSS. They were on sale...2 for $3. I was like, ain't nobody buying this but me! :grin: unless it's Halloween.

yodie

I took the combs out of my half wig and I LOVE it. I also sprtiz my hair everyday with Scurl/water.

Has anyone gotten hairline breakage with their half wig?

WhipEffectz1

I've worn a half wig for a while but it started to give me breakage on the temples and kitchen area so I'm all but throwing them out. I will probably wear them for special events where I'm in a hurry but no more for daily wear because I was very careful and still suffered breakage.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I've worn wig for a while but it started to give me breakage on the temples and kitchen area so I'm all but throwing them out. I will probably wear them for special events where I'm in a hurry but no more for daily wear because I was very careful and still suffered breakage.

Whips, you had breakage with a half wig?

WhipEffectz1

Whips, you had breakage with a half wig?

Yeah girl!!! Don't wear it daily but just alternate and your hair should be fine. I was wearing it daily with washing/taking care in between. I've worn them for a while as a cheap alternative to sewn weaves and the breakage is just now kicking in. My boyfriend was like, "I told you to throw dem wigs away or sit them on fire!!!" :lol:

Lady Esquire

Yeah girl!!! Don't wear it daily but just alternate and your hair should be fine. I was wearing it daily with washing/taking care in between. I've worn them for a while as a cheap alternative to sewn weaves and the breakage is just now kicking in. My boyfriend was like, "I told you to throw dem wigs away or sit them on fire!!!" :lol:

See, this is what I was afraid of. I wore full wigs back in '05. They helped me grow and retain. But my hairline is just making a comeback. I swore I would never return to them, but I would like a break...

Something to think about. Maybe I will alternate like you said. Thanks Whipz.

WhipEffectz1

See, this is what I was afraid of. I wore full wigs back in '05. They helped me grow and retain. But my hairline is just making a comeback. I swore I would never return to them, but I would like a break...

Something to think about. Maybe I will alternate like you said. Thanks Whipz.

You're welcome dear. Just alternate and you should be fine!!!! Its the constant rubbing of the wig on the hairline which you already know. Happy hair growing!!!

happylocks

Can anyone tell me what a half wig is ? I am trying to find something for my sister, I think she should go with a wig, no longer wearing a sew in or a glue in weave. She wants a healthy shoulder length bob in her real hair, but right now she has a perm twa or partly permed. any help thanks

Cocoa21

I'm currently wearing a half wig and its so convenient. All of my real hair is braided underneath so I'm not blending any of my hair to match the wig. Instead, I rotate either a black or cream scarf covering my edges. This is my everday look: wigs and scarfs. :yep: The pros speak for themselves. My hair is resting in braids under the wig, and I still get styling options. When I get home, the wig comes off and I either moisturize my scalp or spray my braids with leave-in. My only con is the comb. The comb snagged my hair so I cut it out.

motherx2esq

I took my combs out, corn rowed my hair underneath, sewed the front of the fall on and went about my business. I hate the combs they are the worst. I did this Sunday night. Today I took it off to cowash but will put a few stitches in after I'm done. I love my falls! No cons here!

cinnarose

I've had some, and I've about taking the combs out, however, I can't seem to get the hairpins to go through the top part of the fall. How, exactly, is everyone securing your falls????

I took the combs out of my half wig and I LOVE it. I also sprtiz my hair everyday with Scurl/water.

Has anyone gotten hairline breakage with their half wig?

Ms Lala

Pros:
  • keeps hair protected
Cons:
Tip:
HTH

These are great tips. I like wearing half wigs. I actually like the combs, they make me feel secure! I haven't worn my hair out in about a month now. I've been wigging it constantly. I plan to keep this up until I reach MBL

bee

I still have the second half-wig I purchased. It's about 8 months old! It's a synthetic ModelModel wig (can't remember the style though). I wear this so often. I only wear my hair out when I have a date. I suggest using vaseline for the combs (I only use the front comb, theback comb gets tucked into the wig). When I frst started wearing half-wigs, I used a stocking cap underneath. Now, I use a satin-like skull cap that men use for waves. So far, so good. I don't have the breakage I experienced using the stocking cap. My hair has grown a little beyond my shoulders. I'm trying to get over that hard place between SL and APL.

Now that I think of it, I may purchase a half wig for the bob look I want for the fall and winter months.

Ms Lala

Can anyone tell me what a half wig is ? I am trying to find something for my sister, I think she should go with a wig, no longer wearing a sew in or a glue in weave. She wants a healthy shoulder length bob in her real hair, but right now she has a perm twa or partly permed. any help thanks

A half wig doesn't cover your full head. YOu leave some of the front of your hair out to blend it in. 3/4 wigs and quickweaves and half wigs all have the same concept. They have a bunch of them on hairsister.com if you want to see an example of one.

Ms Lala

I still have the second half-wig I purchased. It's about 8 months old! It's a synthetic ModelModel wig (can't remember the style though). I wear this so often. I only wear my hair out when I have a date. I suggest using vaseline for the combs (I only use the front comb, theback comb gets tucked into the wig). When I frst started wearing half-wigs, I used a stocking cap underneath. Now, I use a satin-like skull cap that men use for waves. So far, so good. I don't have the breakage I experienced using the stocking cap. My hair has grown a little beyond my shoulders. I'm trying to get over that hard place between SL and APL.

Now that I think of it, I may purchase a half wig for the bob look I want for the fall and winter months.

Do you have trouble w/these slipping off. How do you secure it since it's satin?