Wearing your hair down

henrilou

I just got my hair done a few days ago and I have been wearing it "down". Sometimes you just want to enjoy your hair. What do you guys think? Do you really experience alot of breakage when you wear your hair down? Or is the breakage because when you wear your hair down you feel the need to "bump" the ends...

sweetcocoa

I enjoy wearing my hair down also. I think as long as you aren't doing it everyday it should be okay. I wear my down 2-3 days a week.

serena

I do believe that Wanakee had it right - exposure to the elements, not to mention friction from one's clothes, really does make the ends of the hair more prone to split ends and breakage, especially when you have a fragile hair type to begin with. On the other hand, sometimes I think that I might get away with wearing my hair open as often as I like, without suffering any adverse effects, if I faithfully moisturize/oil/seal my ends while they are exposed.

Be that as it may, at the moment I don't take too many chances. I compromise by wearing my hair down about once or twice a week, mostly on weekends, and mostly at home after I've shampooed and roller set. I reason that on weekends I have the option of wearing tops that are cut lower in the back than my work clothes, allowing my hair to rest on my skin, not on fabric. I figure that my own skin won't subject my hair to any friction; plus, I like the sensation of my hair against my bare skin. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't wear my hair open at work very often, but when I do, I wear clothes that are made of fabric that will be easy on my hair, i.e., won't occasion too much friction. Sometimes, if I really feel like it, I let my hair down after work when I'm at home, out of the wind and the weather.

And of course, I wear my hair down on those occasions when I want to look 'extra'. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif At such times I follow either my low cut back, or silky fabric rule (or both). Whenever I wear my hair down, however, I am extra careful about keeping the ends moisturized and oiled.

On the other hand, if my hair ever reaches my target length of the middle of my bra strap, I would probably wear it down as much as I want, (keeping the ends well moisturised/oiled/sealed, of course) since I would be focussing more on maintaining my length, rather than on attaining more.

Ok, I know this post was long and rambling. In a nutshell, now: I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but for now, I'm playing it safe. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

daviine

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And of course, I wear my hair down on those occasions when I want to look 'extra', . At such times I follow either my low cut back, or silky fabric rule (or both). Whenever I wear my hair down, however, I am extra careful about keeping the ends moisturized and oiled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this rule------thanks for the idea.

How sexy is that---your bare back covered only by the length of your hair? YOWZA!!!

pebbles

Hi henrilou,

I think it's o.k to wear your hair down every now and then. My advice would be that when you do wear it down, wear a silk or satin top; something that won't tug and pull at your hair. Just don't do it every day, or days and weeks in a row. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mahalialee4

I agree to all of that. And if I wear a sweater or jacket, I make sure to wear a luxurious, large silk scarf, draped and tied loosely for effect and protection of the ends. I would only do this occasionally but definitely not in cold or windy weather. Bonjour.

serena

Tank tops, tube tops, spaghetti straps, sundresses, strapless dresses, plus open hair - ultra feminine, I think! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

adrienne0914

i do experience breakage when i wear my hair down but it's mostly because i don't like putting much product on it. it just gets dry. between that and the friction against my clothes, i end up seeing hairs on my shoulders, etc.

i'm still with you though. what's the point of having long hair if you never get to enjoy it? the last time i got it done, i went buckwild and wore it down for two weeks. lol! i never bumped my ends though so i guess that's something, huh? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

babyblue

Yes, exposing your fragile ends to the elements and harsh fabrics will help to break and thin your ends. Enjoy your hair but dont wear it down daily, probably just do it the first few days after your hairdo is salon fresh and looks its best down. And if you do wear it down wear a shirt with a smooth or silky fabric. I know textured fabrics like cotton and wool cause friction with the hair. So just wear your hair down with caution.

P.S. Henrilou, are you still weaving up for the winter?

henrilou

Ya know, I didn't weave after all. I went to my stylist and she said, " why are you coming to me for this? Your hair is almost too long and there's nothing wrong..." So. I got a wash/set and deep condition. I thought that was really cool of her to not just be out for the money. The night before I was actually sad that I would not be seeing my own hair for a while, so it wasn't hard not to weave. Maybe next month.

kasey

I don't have much experience with long hair like yours Henrilou, but perhaps you can look out for some different hair sticks or pins to spice things up. Maybe you can wear parts of your hair down, like french roll the back and have spiralling curls in the front and sides. Or wear a high ponytail with the top half of your hear and set the back in loose shirley temple like curls. I don't know what your face looks like so Î can't be certain what will look the best. Now that your hair is healthy maybe your stylist can help you create glam, but safe no-heat, no-contact hair styles.

NayNay

henrilou,

I NEVER wear protective styles but as soon as I hit my crib I put a satin bonnet over my hair. I can tell the difference immediately. Due to the seasonal change, I can tell that my ends of my hair do not look that great (ie cold weather and wool coats). I really am not an advocate of the perpetual bun, but it appears that I will do that or at least invest in a hat that will cover my hair when it is exposed to the elements. It appears to make a difference now that my hair is past shoulder length.

dreemssold

I rarely wear my hair down anymore. Now, I am on the bun challenge, but even prior to that, I was almost unofficially on it, anyway. It makes me nervous when it's down, so I figure what's the point if I am not going to enjoy it. The times I do wear it down, I usually coat my ends in moisturizer and carry some good hair day pins with me just in case. Before I get home, it's usually back in a bun :ohwell: .

webby

Think Slim
henrilou said:
I just got my hair done a few days ago and I have been wearing it "down". Sometimes you just want to enjoy your hair. What do you guys think? Do you really experience alot of breakage when you wear your hair down? Or is the breakage because when you wear your hair down you feel the need to "bump" the ends...

I'm probably in the minority here, but I almost always wear my hair down. I find that I experience more breakage from up-styles, anything that requires a lot of handling. Wearing my hair down consists of shaking my hair out of a wrap each morning, possibly combing a little, but leaving it for the remainder of the day, until combing to re-wrap.

Falon

I'm 50/50....after a touch up I am more likely to wear my hair down. I can just slap my bonnet on at night and keep up the style going for a few days w/o having to mess with it too much or use addtional heat.

Once the roots start coming in I will wear it up most days cuz it get's harder to style=more manipulation=needs more heat to hold a style=more chance of breakage for me.

sylver2

I have always wore my hair down. Rarely do I ever put it in any style except out. I wear it down and straight every single day. I wrap it at night.

amy1234

I wear my hair down a lot too. The only times that I'll put my hair up is when I get tired of wearing it down and I'll usually put my hair in a bun (mostly at work :antlers: )

Chaya

I wear my hair down EVERY day, but I put my hair up when I am outside and when I am at work because it snags on my lab coat. I enjoy wearing my hair down. Whats the point of having beautiful long hair if its always in a bun/baggie? I dont bump my ends EVER. I just rollerset my hair and pin it up at night with a silk scarf, take it down in the morning and shake it and go! EASY!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
henrilou said:

i agree with wearing it down to enjoy your hair :)

i never experienced a lot of breakage from wearing it down :cool:

i think the breakage i get comes from my hair being overprocessed (my mom used to relax my entire hair shaft, not just the new growth!:eek: )

as long as you keep your hair properly moisturized and conditioned, you shall be fine ;)

BklynHeart

I agree with Chaya. During the winter I keep my hair wrapped up under a hat and a satin scarf and then comb it out when I get to work. My hair thins out more when I wear it in buns because I have to slick and tie down my edges.

angelk316

I dont like wearing my hair down because I feel self conscious. Most of the time I have braids or its up. I only wear it down on special occasions and somtimes for my boyfriend .

ms_kenesha

I, too almost always wear my hair down, now and when I was relaxed previously. For me, it was too much manipulation to wear my hair up and have it "look decent" if I had a good amount of new growth.

Also, I'm one of those oddballs like Lulu who used to use a lot of heat as well *a lot meaning blowdrying and using a ceramic iron about once a week* because once my new growth starts coming in strong, if I don't keep it straight somehow, my hair will start to break at the line of demarcation.

However, I do not wrap my hair when I wear it down, that too is too much manipulation for my hair, I just put on a satin bonnet and go to sleep. :)

Cleo

The longer my hair gets, the less I wear it down. I tie a silk scarf over it when I go out in the winter to protect it from the harsh wind. I wear it out more in the warmer months.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
I wear my hair down ALL THE TIME. I'll put it up maybe once a week??? Not even that...maybe three times a month. Why grow hair if you can't enjoy it?

AudraChanell

I am just one person ... I wear my hair down almost everyday with very little breakage. I am not recommending, just sharing :)

MJ

I can't really wear my hair down, even though it's relaxed straight. The only time I can is right after a touch up and blow out, the first week (before washing), and even then it acts crazy. My hair like to be up (i.e. sticking straight up and out :antlers: ) or curly, so it poofs easily. I can't style my hair either so I prefer buns or extensions or cornrows, which doesn't allow me to deal :whip: with it's madness too much. My hair is short "7-9," but I've seen people with much shorter hair than mine wearing their hair down with noticeable growth. Me? Ha. I'm hoping that when it grows longer it'll stop acting schizo :wallbash:

Queenie

I wear my hair out regularly. When I use ponytail holders, barrettes, haircombs, clips, etc., they cause my hair to break. That is if my hair does not break them first. My hair likes being out.