WEARING YOUR HAIR DOWN

AKAngel904

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
For those who wear it down everyday, how do you style your hair and how do you keep it smooth/straight (if you are relaxed)

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrap it up at night after I mositurize it and then spray my hair with olive oil sheen before I comb it down in the morning. Sometimes I will roll it at night.

Karonica

I used the ORS Olive Oil Sheen this morning too! And I applied their Olive Oil Moisturizer last night before wrapping.

Karonica

Isn't the mist it creates something else? Last year when I was in my dorm, I sprayed some on my hair and it set the smoke detector off.

AKAngel904

lol....slow down homie.....
but i made the mistake of spraying it while i had my glasses on..needless to say I had to do extensive cleaning of my glasses after that

Wolftrap

You know at first I was using the olive oil sheen but then I found it makes my hair look like a oil slick if I use it too much like daily. Because I was first using this on my ends and then I stopped becaue I was looking greasy. Maybe because my hair is so thin. The littlest think weighs it down and make it look oily.

Nay

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said: Right now, my hair is close to my waist and I usually keep it this length, or just a couple of inches shorter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Renee, Girl, when are you going to post some photos to show off all that hair!! You know we love seeing folks' hair pictures

AKAngel904

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
You know at first I was using the olive oil sheen but then I found it makes my hair look like a oil slick if I use it too much like daily. Because I was first using this on my ends and then I stopped becaue I was looking greasy. Maybe because my hair is so thin. The littlest think weighs it down and make it look oily.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, i havent had that problem. But you may need super light moisturizera.

keke

thats exactly what i was going to say, Chanteuse. that when your hair is RIGHT on your shoulders or so that it then becomes a problem moreso than at any other length. IMO

Tracy

I've never been able to be a die hard protective styler. I really envy the women (like Bo, like Adrienne, Allandra) who are Kamikaze about it
because, like you, I've always felt this nagging that perhaps wearing the hair up yeilds better results.

I now wear my hair up about 75% of the time - but I grew most of my length without protective styles. I've begun to pull it up more as it got longer mostly because it's in the way, moreso than to affirmatively use protective styles. I always SAY I want to add it to my regime as a permanent part - but the truth is, I've never really consistently done so.

caress

I wear my hair down the majority of the time. Most of the time I blodry and then flatiron my hair. When I flatiron I just bump my ends. Then when I go to bed at night I put my hair in pincurls and my hair comes out curlier the next day. Then I just do that every night until I wash again the next week. I also oil my ends and moisturize them every few days or sometimes less often. My ends are finally in need of a trim after going without one since August of 2003.

Tracy

I twist my hair into a claw clip (I buy ones for fine hair so they aren't the same size as my head
) while I'm reading, cooking, talking on the phone. You get the picture...

In other words - I never "style" my hair into a bun or an updo. I just fling it up there to get it out of my way and I end up with a messy updo...

BeautyOfTruth

I have never really worn ponytails (after the age of 16, that is). I wear it down, and I moisturize and wrap it (or occasionally pin curl it)and put on a silk or satin scarf before bed. (I've been doing this for 10 years now.)When I am relaxing at home, I'll pile it up on top of my head and out of my way.
My hair has been past my shoulders (usually bra strap length, but sometimes a little shorter/longer) for as long as I can remember (Since 4 or 5 years old, maybe). Now if I can just get it to waist length like it was when I was 15!!

As you experiment, you will find out what works best for your hair.
What is so wonderful about this board is that you can try some of the suggestions that you may not have done before, and eventually you will master your personal hair care technique.

AKAngel904

Tracy, I do the same thing with my hair..just flip it up in a messy updo when its all over hte place.

For those of you who said you pin curl ur hair at night...How exactly do you do that and when you undo them in the morning, what does your hair look like?

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I twist my hair into a claw clip (I buy ones for fine hair so they aren't the same size as my head
) while I'm reading, cooking, talking on the phone. You get the picture...

In other words - I never "style" my hair into a bun or an updo. I just fling it up there to get it out of my way and I end up with a messy updo...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I do too occasionally, too! The only difference is I use barbie pins......

caress

[ QUOTE ]
AKAngel904 said:
Tracy, I do the same thing with my hair..just flip it up in a messy updo when its all over hte place.

For those of you who said you pin curl ur hair at night...How exactly do you do that and when you undo them in the morning, what does your hair look like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I roll a section of hair around my fingers and use small metal clip to pin that section to my head. I do this all over my head. If I do more sections my hair is curlier and fewer section create looser curls. Actually I think you're supposed to use bobby pins, hence the name pin curls, but I use these small metal clips.
Also I tie my hair up with a silk scarf afterward.

Here are some pages that describe the process but more importantly have pictures. I do them on dry hair even though some of the links describe them being done on wet hair.

http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/pincurls/pincurls.html Make sure to click the links at the bottom of the page too
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip971.htm
http://www.intimelyfashion.com/hair/pincurls.html

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
What are those Denali? Barbie - as in the dream house?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she meant BOBBIE pins!!

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Renee, Girl, when are you going to post some photos to show off all that hair!! You know we love seeing folks' hair pictures

[/ QUOTE ]

Nay, I am so behind the times when it comes to scanners and digital cameras! I'll take some pics and post them someday though. Your hair is gorgeous.

BeautyOfTruth

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
What are those Denali? Barbie - as in the dream house?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she meant BOBBIE pins!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy you are crazy!

BeautyOfTruth

AKAngel, when I pin curl my hair, I put a small amount of moisturizer on my hair, focusing on the ends. Then I part my hair into sections ( usually, I put a part down the middle, with about six sections if I want big, loose curls, and around fifteen for a bit smaller curls) and, taking each section, I curl the hair up with my two pointer fingers, and pin it with bobbie pins (you can also twist each section into a curl, for a different look.). I then secure it with a scarf. In the morning, I gently take each section down, and "finger-comb" it.
This is also a good method to use if you get a curly set, and want to keep your curls for a few days.
For me, the curls are perfect-not as tight as they would be with rollers (which is good for me, as I like wearing my hair straight usually-this is a nice change without being TOO curly). Also, sometimes, I might want a few curls, even though I am wearing my hair straight, so I do the pin curls on my straight hair. (Let me know if you want me to PM you with more details). Hope this helps.

BeautyOfTruth

Oh- I just saw after I posted about the pin curls that Caress has some links with the process
. Those should be helpful as well. I'm going to take a look at them now.

BeautyOfTruth

[ QUOTE ]
AKAngel904 said:
thanks beauty and caress,I think I will try it tomorrow night for church on sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

That will be so pretty for church!
After you experiment a couple of times, you will know just how you want to pin curl each section to achieve the look you want. (It doesn't take that long, either).

Nay

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said:

Nay, I am so behind the times when it comes to scanners and digital cameras! I'll take some pics and post them someday though. Your hair is gorgeous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Renee. At 27 inches, I'm a couple inches behind you. Maybe someday we'll both make it to our waist!! Wouldn't that be something!