Weight Loss & Hair Growth, Whose on this Journey?

mswoman

Congratulations Cheri!!! I agree, join and you'll be able to do a lot more than just lurk. I appreciate being able to get feedback for my specific situation rather than try to read lots of postings.

Hi Ladies,
This is my first post but have been on this board daily for almost a year, I check it at work on my bb and have all my girlfriends hooked:) My hair is longer and in the best shape it has ever been in my life, almost apl and I have lost 15 pounds since March. With the tips I am learning here I am working on being the best me I can be!!!

BTW- To all the lurkers out there, you don’t know what your missing till you join.
Its like a whole other website lol.....

sheba1

I guess I am, also! I've lost 18 pounds since around the time of my first BKT. It's so easy to cowash and wash-n-go or wet bun after the gym in the mornings. Especially since using the methods at www.tightlycurly.com.

I've been doing the Anabolic Diet and working out 4 days a week. Loving every minute!

Update!! I'm down 25 pounds now! :drunk:

ToyToy

I'm trying to lose two dress sizes (the two I gained since I lost my job and became depressed :(). I'm definitely in. I need my confidence back. Plus, I want to be APL by the end of the year (or at least by Feb '10).

Last edited:

ONAMSHN

Subscribing....I will be joining this challenge in the morning!!! I have an event October 31st & I wanna look like I am the total package :)!

skegeesmb

I will be joining this challenge as well. I probably won't start the weight portion until next month though. I had gained so much weight! From November 2007-July 2008 I went from 147 to 176. I then lost some weight and went from 176-153 but then my husband went into the Army and I am at 168 now. I know its because I'm a bit depressed that he's gone (been gone for 6 months). \

I am taking care of two furbabies (literally they are still kittens), so I can't leave them alone because they are destructive. With the extra help I'll be able to focus on getting in better shape. As for the hair, I've started to bun again as soon as I was able to gather enough hair to do a bun. I hope to be Armpit length by December as well!

sugarose

I would like to join this challenge. I am currently at BSL, with a short term goal of Midback and I am 164lbs with a goal of 127lbs-130lbs.

I lost a total of 17lbs then re-gained 4lbs, so I'm now a total of 13lbs down. I want to reach my hair/weight goals by the end of this year!!

chosen07

I'm in. I've been doing the counting calories thing and increased exercise since the beginning of June and I am down 10lbs. I weigh in on monday and really hoping I lost another pound. I have another 5 pounds for my short term goal but long term, i.e. by Nov. 2009, I hope to lose another 10 pounds. this weight loss goal was sparked by a scare of high cholesterol at my last physical. My hair is another story. its healthy and I'm finally all natural...all 6 inches! I'm just trying to keep up a good regiment for a head full of healthy hair and I'll accept the growth as it comes... :D hopefully my increased cardio + hair growth can help stimulate hair growth

Aggie

Portion size is my biggest problem but second to that would be eating wayyy too late at night. I am trying to make my last meal lighter and earlier than 7pm.

mswoman

Welcome Onamshn, Skeegeemb, Beautiful disaster, and chosen 07

What weighloss plan are you going to use during this weighloss challenge?

I am planning on exercising daily and using sparkpeople.com to track my eating and exercise since it's free

Update!! I'm down 25 pounds now!
Way to go Sheba! What is BKT I couldn’t get the website up.

MochaEyeCandy

I will be joining this challenge as well. I probably won't start the weight portion until next month though. I had gained so much weight! From November 2007-July 2008 I went from 147 to 176. I then lost some weight and went from 176-153 but then my husband went into the Army and I am at 168 now. I know its because I'm a bit depressed that he's gone (been gone for 6 months). \

I am taking care of two furbabies (literally they are still kittens), so I can't leave them alone because they are destructive. With the extra help I'll be able to focus on getting in better shape. As for the hair, I've started to bun again as soon as I was able to gather enough hair to do a bun. I hope to be Armpit length by December as well!
:bighug: I have nothing to add...other than I am on and off this path regularly. Should be back on it again next week. :lachen:

sheba1

Way to go Sheba! What is BKT I couldn’t get the website up.

Thanks, Mswoman! BKT is a Brazilian Keratin Treatment. There's all kinds of threads about it, of late. The treatment coats the hair, temporarily loosens the curl pattern and makes the hair easier to detangle and manage. This has allowed me to cowash daily and not worry about tangles or knots (even single strand ones). I can rinse my hair any time I choose and literally walk out the hair while it's still wet. I credit this ease in hair care with being able to wash more frequently and work out more often.

I am definitely trying to achieve weight loss and hair growth right now.
For weight loss- Right now I am starting off waling 2-3 miles daily and eating meals that are low in fat and sugar and high in fiber.
Hair growth- co-washing regularly and DC once a week to maintain moisture, babying my ends, and low manipulation.

mswoman

Way to go at walking and fiber! This week we've been eating a lot of beans trying to clean out the cabinets. Lots of fiber and protein but... you may need some beano if you work around other people :lachen::lachen:

I am definitely trying to achieve weight loss and hair growth right now.
For weight loss- Right now I am starting off waling 2-3 miles daily and eating meals that are low in fat and sugar and high in fiber.
Hair growth- co-washing regularly and DC once a week to maintain moisture, babying my ends, and low manipulation.

aa9746

Well ladies I had my first official weigh in since my initial visit to First Impression Weight Loss a week ago and...are you ready for this..... I lost a whopping 9.2 pounds in one week!! :grin:

I'm so happy and even more motivated! I also relaxed my hair Saturday and discovered I'm now full BSL.....Yay! Go me! Go me!:yay:...

:look: Oh, forgot where I was for a second. Until next time girls!

Congrats on the 9.2 lbs

My-Foolish-Heart

I've been on a weight loss journey since about October 2008 and it's been an uphill battle. Like, I'll go through periods of being really hardcore to completely losing it. I lost 10 pounds in about a 6 month period and then about a month ago I realized I could and should be much further along in my journey and felt that it was time to really make some drastic changes. So I ended up doing the MC for about 6 days and in that time, I lost 13 pounds, but then gained back 4. Since I came off the cleanse, I've been a pescatarian and have lost an additional 8 pounds or so, which has bought my weight loss to about 25 pounds total.

In terms of my hair journey, I started that back in February 2009. I stumbled across a youtube video of Ateyaaa and things kind of went from there. I ended up on various hair boards and really learned the ropes of how to take care of my hair. I made a new years resolution that I would stop using glue in my hair because of all the damage it caused and my hair is 10x more healthy and has gained thickness and length. I've been pretty religious about my hair care regimen versus my weight loss one, but I think I've finally found something that works to get the pounds off once and for all and to keep me fully focused and motivated to do so!

Basically, in a nut shell, I started both of these journeys because I just want to be healthy. I'm currently working on my Masters in Public Health and I just feel some kind of way trying to tell people about healthcare issues when I'm not where I need to be. I have set a final deadline of my graduation in August 2011 to reach both my weight loss and hair goals so I can walk across the stage with my BSL hair and beautiful new body completely confident that I can go into my career without feeling uncomfortable about my body and how others in the workplace perceive me.

But yes, wish me luck and I'll be rooting for all of you! :)

Last edited:

Mrs.Green

This is a great thread :yep:

I will be my goal weight and Mid Back by Christmas I will be my goal weight by my 35th birthday in October. *Gotta speak it into exisitance :look:*

ajenee

Hi ladies, I would like to join this challenge too. I have been unfocused on my hair and weight but would like to begin working on them again. I am currently stretching (11 wks) trying to make it to 16 wks and would like to lose 15 pds by the end of summer and hopefully another 15 by the end of Nov.

mswoman

Hi Everyone! Weighed in today and I'm 2 pounds lighter! Woo Hoo!!! My goal is to exercise at least 2000 calories per week, drink lots of water, and take great care of my hair.

Welcome Ajenee, Jasmineleann! What plan are you going to use?

Jasimine – I like those curls! How did you get them like that?

Great progress ladies, my next weigh in is Friday. Wish me luck!!

Hey silkii – How did it go on Friday?

Portion size is my biggest problem but second to that would be eating wayyy too late at night. I am trying to make my last meal lighter and earlier than 7pm.

I think I should join you in setting a food intake schedule. I’ll set mines for 8:00 since I usually go to bed about midnight or later.

Myfoolishheart – Best wishes to you, how is the Jillian challenge going?

Mrs. Green – You are right! You have to speak words into exisitance!

remilaku

I am all up in this! I want to be 140 and I am 205, Also I want knee lenth hair. I know I am asking for miricals but GOD can do it so this is what I want.

HarlemHottie

Ok here goes... Since last year I have been putting on weight and now I have put on 37 pounds and I'm not happy... Now when it comes my hair I thought it would be a hard road, but it really hasn't been. I try and keep things pretty simple and it seem to be working for me. My goal is to be APL by the end of the year and at least 171 lbs by the end of the summer... I will be starting my Master Cleanse on Monday, yes MONDAY... I have a cook out to attend on Sunday :lick: :lachen: (hey I'm a work in progress lol)... Below is a photo I took tonight and the Master Cleanse that I will be using and a photo of me last week on a boat ride...

Wish me the best ladies...

p.s. Once I'm off the Master Cleanse I will be joining Weight Watchers again... I do so well on that program, oh and working out more as well...

joyous

I'm on this journey also, though I'm more focused on weightloss. I'm down 24 pounds since the end of April, with a goal of 20 more. An unexpected benefit of consuming plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, eliminating most meats while eating alternative sources of protein, increasing water intake, wallking and exercising has been the significant increase in the thickness of my hair. I realize now that even though I've always been able to retain length my hair was really thin due to my poor diet.

*Muffin*

I am. I started my weight loss journey at around the same time I started my hair-care journey, around 2 1/2 years ago. Back then I weighted about 265 and my hair was shoulder length. I've fluctuated with my weight all my life, my heaviest weight being 300lbs at 14 years old (no, I'm not kidding), and I'd pretty much stayed between the 240-270 range. But by calorie counting (I gradually reduced how much I ate and currently I eat around 1,800 calories per day), drinking lots of water, and exercising for 30 minutes 5 days per week, I now weigh around 172. So, from my heaviest, I lost almost 130lbs. And since I eat healthier, take my supplements like I should, my hair is a lot healthier and is growing nicely :).