Weird breakage all of a sudden

Cayenne0622

Now, that my shedding is reducing I'm encountering another problem. I can't figure it out. It seems like when I bun my hair I experience breakage. All different lengths...very small (shorter than an inch) all the way up to very long (3 or 4 inches). I don't get it. I moisturize my hair at least once a day (most of the time twice). I slick the sides back with a non-alcohol gel (JAM) and IC. I use a satin scrunchie to gather my hair and tuck the end of the ponytail under the scrunchie. I then cover my bun with with a ponytail creation that I twist info a bun and secure with another satin scrunchie. Its very easy and a cute bun. When I take my hair down to apply more moisture I end up with hairs on my hands...broken strands, shedded strands (but not that many shedded strands).

Anybody have any suggestions? My daily moisturizer ranges from Elasta QP Recovery, BB Moisturizing w/Castor Oil (white/pink bottle), or Qhemet.

I'm lost. I also seal with either coconut oil or jojoba oil.

:(

Jas123

The Star of a Story
When you moisturize is your hair wet or just a lite moisture...I realized this was my problem..I was seeing more hairs than I like to when I was spraying my hair with a water solution..I switched to profective health ends(thanks to MizaniMami) which is a water based cream & seal with castor oil..no more hairs

Cayenne0622

sherylin123 said:
When you moisturize is your hair wet or just a lite moisture...I realized this was my problem..I was seeing more hairs than I like to when I was spraying my hair with a water solution..I switched to profective health ends(thanks to MizaniMami) which is a water based cream & seal with castor oil..no more hairs

Its always dry when I bun it. I wait until its completely dry...I usually airdry overnight under a satin scarf. But you do make a valid point about wetness. The other day I bunned my hair and used my regular moisturizers and didn't notice any breakage but the next day I decided to spray a liquid moisturizer on my hair before I bunned it. I didn't make it soak and wet but I added enough to feel the moisture from the spray. Today I noticed the breakage. Thanks for that info. I won't be doing that again. I'll stick to the creams.

MizaniMami

Cayenne0622 said:
Its always dry when I bun it. I wait until its completely dry...I usually airdry overnight under a satin scarf. But you do make a valid point about wetness. The other day I bunned my hair and used my regular moisturizers and didn't notice any breakage but the next day I decided to spray a liquid moisturizer on my hair before I bunned it. I didn't make it soak and wet but I added enough to feel the moisture from the spray. Today I noticed the breakage. Thanks for that info. I won't be doing that again. I'll stick to the creams.

Sorry, I didn't even see your post! What kind of liquid was it you sprayed???

Sounds to me, like you used something that your hair didn't want. How is everything going as far as protein/moisture balance-is there too much or too little of one or another.

natasha

Maybe you need more protein? You seem to be moisturizing enough maybe the strands are weakened?? :scratchch

I look forward to hearing ideas from other ladies on this issue.

Lavendar

Do you co-wash by any chance? Your shedding and breakage pattern sounds a lot like I had after co-washing twice a week for a few months. I had to stop and start major protein treatments every 4 weeks and wash only once a week. That turned it around. HTH!;)

DAX

Cayenne,

I have the same exact problem. I notice it after I use Giovanni leave in spray or Infusium leave-in moisture, or any water-based moisturizers. I also notice if after I baggy. Strands of hair in my hands. If I touch my ends, I can pull 3-6 strands out each time I touch. I can't find the culprit.

Cayenne0622

MizaniMami said:
Sorry, I didn't even see your post! What kind of liquid was it you sprayed???

Sounds to me, like you used something that your hair didn't want. How is everything going as far as protein/moisture balance-is there too much or too little of one or another.

I sprayed elasta qp h2. I don't have any problems when I use this on my wet hair. My hair strands seem to be fairly strong. I think its still wanting moisture more than anything else. I may just be dealing with ends that were unhealthy pre LHCF. Funny that I don't have any breakage when my hair is flat-ironed.

Cayenne0622

Thanks for your resonses. I don't cowash. I tried it once & didn't care for it. I plan on trying henna next weekend. Maybe that will help.

Catina72

Cayenne, I would stop using the Jam gel too. The second ingredient is mineral oil and if what you crave is moisture, you definately ain't getting it from that product. I switched from Jam to the Qhemet Honeybush Hair Tea gel instead. Just my 2 cents though....HTH!:look: