WELL MY SELF TOUCH UP DID NOT GO AS PLANNED BUT...

Integrity

So i was 10.5 weeks into my relaxer. Being out here I have no one to do my hair I can trust. my 4b hair wasnt breaking too much but i couldnt comb it! I was dying for a relaxer. Anyways, on saturday i went for it. i used motions lye regular mixed with a lil vegetable oil and used myhairsos method of sectioning my hair into 10 and applying to new growth. before i knew it i was seriously overlapping!!!! but i did coat the old growth so no big worries. also, i think because this relaxer is SUPER mild on my scalp i was a bit more careless with application (i had No burns at all, i love this relxer!!!). needless to say i ended up with a texturiser instead but thats ok cos that will keep me going till i can get to my usual stylist in london to touch up my hair properly in 6-8 weeks time. better under than overprocessed right?

after i washed out the relaxer i deep cond with UBH conditioner, then shampooed twice and set for 5 mins each time with motions oil neutraliser follwed by motions lavish sahmpoo and then ORS mayo deep conditioner.

this is my first lye. i ended up with highly shiny hair and no breakage at all over the next few days. my hair seems less dry.

another thing my hair has grown so much i cant believe it!!!! and this is after a texturiser. i have said a lil prayer about hair growth so maybe its working!/images/graemlins/clap.gif man, i still cant believe my eyes when i look in the mirror!!

thank you ladies over here for all the tips and support/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

LondonDiva

Your first time using Lye, I thought you were using it all along. I'm not keen on the Motions myself but glad it kinda worked out for you.
How long did you keep the relaxer on for? I'm still trying to decide which Lye brand I'm going to use next, it's either the Arosci (made by Revlon), Revlon, or Deigner Touch

Titansgirl

You Go Girl!!!!! /images/graemlins/weird.gif Congratulations on your first lye relaxer and on your hair growth. I am so happy that we have this board to share our success stories w/ others /images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank you for sharing w/ us... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

nah, i have used affrim no lye (at hairdressers) and dark and lovely no lye since i relaxed my afro.

LD, from what i have heard of affirm lye you are using the best why try the rest? it works great right? why not stick to it.

i think once i run out of my 4lbs tub i will go for affirm!

thank ya all for your responses. i cant wait to see my full length when i have a proper touch up /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LondonDiva

The reason why, is because i can't get hold of it anymore and need to switch to a brand which is easily accessible. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif what! you mean PAK will not sell affirm lye anymore. /images/graemlins/mad.gif
i was gonna get it on my next trip to london. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

G

10.5 wks /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

Say you tuffed it out and you and got brave enough to go for it. Now you know what to do should you do it again, sounds like all and all it worked out ok.

Your right better a little under than OVER....

I bet it looks cute - congrats on the growth!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

LondonDiva

/images/graemlins/nono.gif sorry sweets but they ain't selling it no more. I was mad as hell. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Jenai

Congrats on your touch up - first time with a Lye Relaxer too! /images/graemlins/dance7.gif

lshevonne

Congrats on your first Lye Touch up. I made the switch back in Nov with Motions Oil Mild but this month I decided to try Revlon Realistic and I think I like this one even better. Most 4B's not care for the Motions. Your touch ups will get better with practice. I know mine have. LOL

Integrity

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif y'all thanks for the encouragement but i am not sure if i will ever do my own touch up again. it was more difficult than i thought! plus my hair is progressing too nicely to spoil it in one go like that! we'll see.

LondonDiva

Pandora Pandora do not give up hope just yet, Ish is right they will get better with practise believe you me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ishevonne so you tried the Motions and hated it too huh /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif I too have 4b and motions didn't do jack for me. This maybe a good indicator of which relaxer to use next time round. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Which strength do you use? I have very resistant coarse 4b hair and the Affirm regular was real good for me, a lil harsh on the scalp but it did a great job on the hair. The Motions on the scalp was fine though but on the hair did a horrible job.

Thanks in advance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

thanks LD. i was thinking if i do try it myself again, i will do it your way with the instructons you gave. its just that i get so scared of over processing that i underprocess! my heart was actually pumping as i did it. since i put in the oil i should have extended it a bit. the thing was in my hair for 15 minutes i say.

i am just so relieved my roots are softer now plus i can see my growth /images/graemlins/grin.gif

azul11

wow this must be like a recurring problem for the 4s. i tried motions and afterwards my hair was shining and bouncy and i got compliments but by the third week the hair was rough. i was like /images/graemlins/huh.gif so that is why i wanted to switch to affirm since people have been having much success with it. does affirm make a sensitive scalp treament that is no lye? the place i got my motions done had a sign that says they have relaxers for sensitive scalps and mentioned dudleys, affirm and mizani. i didnt bother to go in and see if they used lye. i think i might have to and make sure it is crystal clear i want the lye version and not the no lye. God bless you all.

LondonDiva

No believe me, if on your first ever go you did it in 15 minutes, by yourself, then you're good to go on your next attempt. You'll be a pro in no time at all. Me and Almond_Delight can do your next touch up if you like /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure she wouldn't mind **ducks for cover** we did her mothers 2 weeks ago and with the both of us working on her head we applied it all in 10 mins and did another 8-10 for smoothing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
Me and Almond_Delight can do your next touch up if you like /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure she wouldn't mind **ducks for cover**

[/ QUOTE ]

aww, really? thank you! i really appreciate the offer. i am sure i still have the mobile. i will give you guys loads of notice before i travel over. but you wont be on your feet till May right(op)?

LondonDiva

Dang girl you have a good memory. I'm sure I can stand for 10 minutes. Didn't I tell you /images/graemlins/look.gif I'm superwoman, plus I've got another leg so I can balance and keep the right one in the air /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When are you thinking of coming over???

Integrity

between last week of May to first week of June. dang, i hope the new growth will bear with me till then! i will probably braid it up. man, it would be a whole 3 months without a proper touch up /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Integrity

LondonDiva said:
Didn't I tell you /images/graemlins/look.gif I'm superwoman, plus I've got another leg so I can balance and keep the right one in the air /images/graemlins/grin.gif
When are you thinking of coming over???

[/ QUOTE ]

you are tall so that would be really really funny!

LondonDiva

Where??? To Germany. Sorry girl never. I got too much of an attitude to go over there with all of them staring at my brown skin. I'll end up spending the holiday in Jail. It's not a good idea to go until I've taken some anger managment classes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll hook up with you in thornton heath though. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif rofl:

Integrity

LondonDiva said:
Where??? To Germany. Sorry girl never. I got too much of an attitude to go over there with all of them staring at my brown skin. I'll end up spending the holiday in Jail. It's not a good idea to go until I've taken some anger managment classes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll hook up with you in thornton heath though. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif rofl:

[/ QUOTE ]

that was funny LD. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Congratulations Pandora. Don't give up yet. You'll see it'll get better. I did my touchup on thursday and I was done coating in 8mins (I had about 16 sections and I used soft and beautiful botanical.... yes, it's no-lye)and I've gotten nothing but compliments.
B/4 I forget when next you wash, you could use the neutralizing shampoo for your first wash and then your regular shampoo for the second wash. I do this to void any chemical activity that might be going on in my hair say 3 days after my touchup.
Peace

Integrity

Thanks myhairsos /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i dunno i felt my hair sections were too thick, my hair has gotten so so thick with the vitamins it aint even funny so the ponytails were getting in my way! /images/graemlins/mad.gif i am happy for the thickness bbut it made touch up difficult for me. better next time, eh. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
If you don't want the pony tail, you could do this style that I made quite mistakingly. I had roller set the part of my hair (just the back) that would form a low pony tail, then airdried hoping to take down the curls and wrap my hair but the curls looked so professionally done that I decided against wrapping. I simply picked the curls with my fingers. The front is combed back (actually with a little slanting line and the back is full of curls). I'll keep this until the curls start to look rough. The best part is, I don't have to comb /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Integrity

/images/graemlins/grin.gif NO MYHAIRSOS; I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE LIL PONYTAILS OR SECTIONS I MADE PRIOR TO RELAXING MY HAIR YOUR WAY. sounds like a nice style though, thanks!

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
my bad /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif
You could hold them with the long hair pins in Allandra's how-2-wrap visual instruction (you know, the one used by the model in restraining her hair). It might work!
Peace