WELL MY SELF TOUCH UP DID NOT GO AS PLANNED BUT...

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Pandora,
How did you sneak on to the board /images/graemlins/wink.gif
You're not listed as being online.... Are you a V.I.P on LHCF /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Integrity

myhairsos, some people like me have chosen not to be visible when we are online. you can change over to invisible if you want to, just go to your 'home' and preferences! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
how delightfully informative. Thanks and bye for now, gotta prepare for my business law class... why do they make people study unrelated courses in school?.... information tech and business law, like anyone will pick me as a legal counsel for their business.
Outta here,
Peace

lshevonne

LD I made the switch more because of all the bad stuff I kept reading. I thought the Motions Oil Mild was ok on my hair but after using the Revlon Realistic No Base Regular I like this much better so far. I only just did my hair this past Sat. morning.

localhost

Hey Pandora,

Congrats on your first relaxer. Don't get discouraged /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif, this kind of thing takes practice and much patience. At least you didn't overprocess /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Longterm, you'll be wayyy better off, saving tons of money and not having to rely on anyone else.

I've recently decided to do my own relaxers simply because I cannot trust anyone. I'd rather pay myself $60 to jack up my own hair! Of course I don't have any intentions of screwing up my hair - after the first few runs, I may become just as good as any other "professional" stylist.

I plan to do extensive research before I attempt to do my hair - doing practice runs with hair dressing, viewing online tutorials, even watching how-to videos.

If you're interested in biting the bullet and doin' the damn thang /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif, let me know, and I'll post what I find /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Congrats Pandora! With practice, you'll be glad that you can do your own. I started doing mine when I was 18 and I didn't always get it perfect at first. Now I'm 41 and I'm pleased that I can do my own relaxers.

Integrity

thanks guys!

hey sweetpea, where can i view online tutorials on relaxer applications? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
CurlyCrly said: I started doing mine when I was 18 and I didn't always get it perfect at first. Now I'm 41 and I'm pleased that I can do my own relaxers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope i get the true hang of it soon, i keep getting better and better but, sometimes i dont catch all the sections in the back and i get soo /images/graemlins/mad.gif. plus my mom always tells me i dont uswe enugh creme, I fear using globs b/c i thik it'll fall on my scalp /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
bean3,

When you apply your relaxer, after parting your hair, do you apply to the section ABOVE the parts too? I mean, when you part your hair horizontally, you probably apply it in a downward motion to the hair that is parted, but do you apply to the hair above that...which would be the underneath hair of the section above the part. I find that this helps speed the application process along and improves the coverage.

Armyqt

lshevonne said:
That's how I do my touch ups CurlyCrly and it works great for me as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

localhost

Pandora said:
thanks guys!

hey sweetpea, where can i view online tutorials on relaxer applications? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best site I found so far for relaxing. It includes step-by-step pictures and everything! The stylist in this example is doing a full-head relaxer, though. Same concept applies to retouches.

http://www.manican.com/stages/stage_referrer.asp?URL=http://www.behindthechair.com/content/26/milady/milady5/Retouch/retouch.asp

HTH

lala

SweetPea said:
Pandora said:
thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best site I found so far for relaxing. It includes step-by-step pictures and everything! The stylist in this example is doing a full-head relaxer, though. Same concept applies to retouches.

http://www.manican.com/stages/stage_referrer.asp?URL=http://www.behindthechair.com/content/26/milady/milady5/Retouch/retouch.asp

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is the best information for relaxing hair that I've seen. I didn't realize that you could 1) smooth the relaxer to your ends during the last few minutes. I thought that would damage your hair 2) color hair immediately after. Have I been missing out or what?

LondonDiva

Don't believe everything you read /images/graemlins/nono.gif I would only recommend smothing the ends with a relaxer if it's under processed. NOT with every relaxer applications. The ends of the hair get thinner on their own anyway due to being older than the rest of the hair, you don't want that to happen prematurely from applying relaxer to the ends.

As for the colouring. Not with permanent colour. I've done it with a semi perm colour before (Adore) which contains no peroxide, ammonia or alcohol which basically just coated my hair and never caused any damage. I haven't yet read the article, but I'm hoping they stated which type of colour was safe to relax and colour same day.

If they state it's OK to use a safe colour and do a pull through when it's underprocessed then more power to them for stating that. I'll just keep what i said incase someone is confused about when this is allowed to be done on the hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lala

Thanks LD for clarifying that. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I asked my cousin who's ends always look split if she applies the relaxer to her ends and she said yes. I told her that she probably shouldn't do that since she seems to have a lot of breakage. I think my ends are the straighest part of my hair, so I never smooth the relaxer out to the ends. I just try to stay as close to the roots as possible. I did buy the Adore color, so I'm glad to know that I can use that safely after the relaxing process.

*** I'll have to make note of this in my new hair journal /images/graemlins/wink.gif

localhost

LondonDiva said:
Don't believe everything you read /images/graemlins/nono.gif I would only recommend smothing the ends with a relaxer if it's under processed. NOT with every relaxer applications. The ends of the hair get thinner on their own anyway due to being older than the rest of the hair, you don't want that to happen prematurely from applying relaxer to the ends.

As for the colouring. Not with permanent colour. I've done it with a semi perm colour before (Adore) which contains no peroxide, ammonia or alcohol which basically just coated my hair and never caused any damage. I haven't yet read the article, but I'm hoping they stated which type of colour was safe to relax and colour same day.

If they state it's OK to use a safe colour and do a pull through when it's underprocessed then more power to them for stating that. I'll just keep what i said incase someone is confused about when this is allowed to be done on the hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this info only to demonstrate the parting and application process, so that whoever cares could have some idea of what the parts look like, etc. I should've been more thorough in explanation; my bad. Thanks LD for clearing that up /images/graemlins/wink.gif

azul11

you are so lucky you live at least near someone from this board who can do a touch up for you. and londondiva no less. she is so knowledgable that you know you are in good hands. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

beana3

CurlyCrly said:
bean3,

When you apply your relaxer, after parting your hair, do you apply to the section ABOVE the parts too? I mean, when you part your hair horizontally, you probably apply it in a downward motion to the hair that is parted, but do you apply to the hair above that...which would be the underneath hair of the section above the part. I find that this helps speed the application process along and improves the coverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually do curlycrly...I just have this phobia of having too much near my scalp.. like i said, my mom calls it "stingy" I only missed a few spots, nothing that cant be held off for another 8 weeks...thanks 4 the tip anyway, i hope i become a pro like u /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SweetNic_JA

Re: WELL MY SELF TOUCH UP DID NOT GO AS PLANNED BU

I got this link from another board and I really liked how they do touchups /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm just puzzled as to why they use different application methods for each section
/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Does anyone know?