Wendy Williams is doing a better job that Tyra and Oprah.

robot.

IMO.

She explained about her own hair first. Wendy started with showing pictures of her hair as a child. It was thick and looked to be maybe BSL. She cut it in high school and throughout college and began to wear wigs. She said that she had what would be considered "good hair," which was never used in her household, and later went onto say that "good hair" is whatever looks good on YOU! :yep:

She explained she wore wigs because her natural hair (she claims she never relaxed) was too fine and she knew that sewn or glue-in weaves would cause breakage, so she just put her hair in a ponytail and wigged it. :up:

She finishes by saying your hair should make YOU happy, you should do what you want with it. She wears big, flamboyant wigs because they make her happy and suit her personality. Pretty much, live and let live.

But wait. IT GETS BETTER. No ignorant, stereotypically angry black woman Shirley letters! :yep:

A brother came up to the mic to say that he noticed a lot of girls on his campus did have weaves, but many also wore their "natural" hair. He said instead of going up and asking a woman "is that your hair," people just automatically default to "is that a weave," as if they can't grow it themselves (he actually said that!). He said he thought that it was wrong and he's seen BW with nice hair.

Another woman with a cute short cut came up next and said white women and other races wear weaves and clip ins too (yes, girl!) and whether you're short, long, natural, or relaxed, you do you! Your hair does not define you, so be what you want to be!

It was all very true dialogue, without being extra, or snotty, or righteous or anything. Just calmly stated facts that everyone should be aware of.

Chris Rock just came on... let's hope he doesn't mess it up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bettina

Finally! This is refreshing...I was beginning to loose it with these shows focusing on the negative.

Keen

Except for the fact that those stereotypes do exist and are common. Ignoring them will not make them go away. I'm not watching Wendy. I'm just saying.

robot.

Except for the fact that those stereotypes do exist and are common. Ignoring them will not make them go away. I'm not watching Wendy. I'm just saying.

For once there are people saying and proving the contrary though. They're not ignoring them to me.

Actually, are we talking about the same thing? I answered without fully understanding. :lol:

Keen

Well Wendy is a drama queen within herself. She's not pretending otherwise so she doesn't have to create fake drama.

TeeWhyAre

What does Wendy being dramariffic has to do w/ how she covered the "Good Hair" topic better (more responsible?) than both Tyra or Oprah in RobotxCore's POV? I don't watch talk shows so I didn't see it. idk. I'm so confused. Maybe I'm just tired.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Smh...when Wendy Williams is making more sense than Oprah, that's when you know the whole world done gone crazy. :nono:

And I don't think that they are ignoring stereotypes. From the sounds of it, they are just letting people know that black women are able to grow hair, that your hair is not an indicator of the kind of person that you are, and most importantly, that black women who wear wigs and weave do so for other reasons than just wanting to appear more white. I think they are trying to dispel stereotypes, not ignore them.

Sounds good to meeee....:spinning:

Dommo

I'm just loving Wendy Williams. I have a new found respect for her because of her show. She has a great personality and i love how honest and nosey she is.

jamaraa

Come on...who's ignoring these stereotypes? People talk about them all the time. Talk won't make them go away (obviously) so what will?

Frankly we'd probably do better to ignore them and get on w/ our lives. People are far too concerned about what others think anyway.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I'm sorry I missed this show. I should start DVR'ing her show, because the episodes I've seen were good. I like her.

AllieCat0817

I can't STAND Wendy Williams. I can't get past that ignint 'how you doin' thing. So I tune her out. A friend of mine on FB said she looks like the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz. Yeah that's it. And 'how you doin' burns me up!!

Truth

It's about time someone focuses on the fact that your hair does not define who u are and kinda bring to light that it's not a "negative" thing that woman where weaves.. If anything they aren't ignoring the sterotypes , they were trying to combat them...Everyone knows the sterotype..why not bring to light that AA woman actually do have long healthy nice hair or where Wigs and weaves for the purpose of protective styling and so forth... I give Wendy a thumbs up for that!!! ...Also, which one of yall has properly trained ur man and let him stand up on the Wendy Williams show !!! :lachen:

shenitab

I watch all the ladies depending on the topic of the show. I think they have all done some good shows. (shrug)

antisocial

I agree, OP. I was thinking the same thing when I watched the show. I didn't really like Wendy Williams before now.

Mizz Diamonds

Wowo I need to see this, I've heard of Wnedy Williams through watching The Soup and thought her show was funny and wanted to watch but couldn't find a link so if someone has a link please post it.

Loveygram

Quick question - is this the same Wendy Williams that had the radio show? The voice sounds the same but I'd never seen her. I loved the show but only heard it when traveling through Conn.
Thanks

Truth

Quick question - is this the same Wendy Williams that had the radio show? The voice sounds the same but I'd never seen her. I loved the show but only heard it when traveling through Conn.
Thanks

yes that's the same Wendy Williams.

robot.

I never really listened to her radio show. I'll be honest, I didn't like her but after seeing a few episodes of her talk show, which even then I had to warm up to, I liked it. She's silly, fun and honest.

Even though the hair thing was maybe only half of the show, it did a good job I think of allowing sensible dialogue and comments. It wasn't aimed to go into the history of black hair and it's connotations. It was more like a comment on all the talk going on about it and what people actually thought about it.

I can't even remember Chris Rock's part, though. I was too busy on here. :lol:

it_comes_naturally

Wow! Chris is really full of it. When Wendy shows a pic of his wife and asks what she's work with. He says he doesn't know, b/c he doesn't ask questions and he doesn't touch it.

Hmmmm...so you make a movie about black women and their hair, but you don't even ask the black woman you are with about her hair? :rolleyes:

If I was his wife, I would have told him to sat down with this mess and find something to do!

robot.

What I like about this board is that at least you know the women having babies will pass on some great hair knowledge. :yep:

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Wow! Chris is really full of it. When Wendy shows a pic of his wife and asks what she's work with. He says he doesn't know, b/c he doesn't ask questions and he doesn't touch it.

Hmmmm...so you make a movie about black women and their hair, but you don't even ask the black woman you are with about her hair? :rolleyes:

If I was his wife, I would have told him to sat down with this mess and find something to do!

What!

That's it. Chris Rock is on my list of idiots. How the hell do you have this big ol' hair documentary and you don't even ask your own wife?

Again, he has zero legitimacy to me.

lilsparkle825

Nice...gotta set aside time to watch this. Who would have thought Wendy could provide more perspective than Oprah?

Wonder if she's close with Niko.