What a difference a comb makes...

testimony777

****This is kind of long; I am really excited about my new bone comb:lachen:. You can skip to the part in bold to see the main point :grin:.****

Oh my gosh!!!! I am typing this post in total disbelief. I just had a major hair break through and I had to share.

A few weeks ago I asked the ladies in the WL and beyond thread that FlowerHair started whether or not they used seamless combs and if so if they had noticed any difference. A few ladies responded and said that they would recommend using one. So I ordered a bone comb.

Well it just arrived. When I opened my package I was initially disappointed. The comb is hand made and it looks hand made (not in a good way); it was not at all what I am used to seeing. Anyway, I decided to try it out really quick to see if I could tell any difference. I was not expecting anything since I had already decided that whatever benefits there were, were likely the kind that you see over time. So I start combing my hair. Because my hair was not wet or full of conditioner I only planned to comb a small section of my length. Well the comb glided through my hair. I ended up completely detangling my dry hair (and it took me less than a minute) :shocked:. And to top it off there was not a single broken hair.

This comb is incredible for two reasons. First, I have never been able to detangle my hair dry. I have always had to do it in the shower to avoid having a ton of breakage. Second, I always have some breakage no matter how I detangle. I thought that five broken hairs in the comb was inevitable, but there was literally not a single broken strand after combing my DRY hair.

If you have done everything you can to eliminate breakage and are finding that no matter how gentle you are, or how well you maintain the proper protein/moisture balance you are still seeing a few broken hairs in the comb I highly recommend trying this comb. I purchased it from hairsense.com; it is #222 the super rake detangler. It retails for $18.50. I placed my order online late in the evening on Feb 15 and it arrived today (just 4 days latter) so pretty fast shipping. It is a bit pricey for a comb but after just one use I already feel great about my purchase.

testimony777

Ok I just checked the vendor out on ebay and if you order there it is actually about $3.00 cheaper and s&h is a few dollars less as well!

manegoal

I have the hairsense five-toothed detangler #255, I use it in the shower with conditioner. I also have a seamless comb by creativetool.com, #C663, this was my fist seamless comb. I was obsessed to find it after seeing it in pottersville's fotki (she no longer has a fotki) years ago. I will never be without a seamless comb. It does make a world of difference.:yep:

Rikku

Is there a thread talking about the difference in combs?? I had no idea combs could be 'different' o.0 can someone make a thread describing the different types of combs? ^^

testimony777

hair4romheaven said:
I got this comb a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know; isn't it amazing!?!

I have the hairsense five-toothed detangler #255, I use it in the shower with conditioner. I also have a seamless comb by creativetool.com, #C663, this was my fist seamless comb. I was obsessed to find it after seeing it in pottersville's fotki (she no longer has a fotki) years ago. I will never be without a seamless comb. It does make a world of difference.:yep:

Who knew. I have been hearing people talk about seamless combs for years. I looked for one a couple of times but they are hard to find and they are expensive. Because I figured they wouldn't make that much difference I never bothered investing in one. Now I am kicking myself for not trying it sooner :wallbash:.

This is the second time this year I have had a hair breakthrough because I tried something I had been sleeping on (the first breakthrough was the benefits of bunning).

indarican

Is there a thread talking about the difference in combs?? I had no idea combs could be 'different' o.0 can someone make a thread describing the different types of combs? ^^
I agree completely, how do you tell what a seemless comb is....so confused

MsSonya

I just ordered a seamless comb, I can't wait to get it. :yep: I hope my ends benefit from this. Oh well,it can't be worse than the 'cheap" 10pk for $1.00 that I have :wallbash:. I should have known that was suspicious. :rolleyes: I haven't been retaining length, and I believe this to be the culprit.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I just purchased the # 206 and I think the #207 off of her ebay site. 2 for 19.50 free shipping.

I have been needing a good bone comb

Thanks for sharing

indarican

oh my goodness, combs break off hair???????????????????????? i thought hair only broke because of being dry or something like that, not because of the type of comb you have...

Nonie

I agree completely, how do you tell what a seemless comb is....so confused

Seamless combs don't have a join where the plastic is glued together. Most combs are made of two halves glued together and it is that "seam" that can be rough and can tear your hair up. Some people get a file and smooth the seam so that it isn't getting caught in hair but it's not so easy to do in between teeth. It is because I was afraid of these seams (Thanks to Brenda www.blackwomenrejoice.com) that I always used the pick with a fist coz the metal teeth had no seems. The handle had a seam but I made sure not to rake it through my hair in a way that the base brushed against it.

Seamlesss combs are smooth all over with no joins anywhere. They look as if curved out of a bone. They used to be made out of real horns, hence the name "bone comb" but now are usually made out of resin (like those from www.hairsense.com) or you can still get bone combs (like those from www.horncombs.com).

testimony777

Ok so I just did a search on seamless combs, there are a lot of threads; to many for me to list. I did not find a thread that talked about the pros and cons of various types of combs but I know that there is such a thread on the longhaircommunity.com hair board.

There was one thread that I thought would be good to link for those of us who have (and/or will soon have) a resin bone comb.

www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228253

If this link doesn't work search for the thread "...be careful when you use your seamless combs." The lady who started this thread had a bone comb that split and pulled out her hair. She wrote the company (who agreed to replace the comb) to find out proper care instructions and they mention that it is not good to leave the combs in water or in damp places (my summary). They can get wet but they should be able to fully dry between uses so it is probably not a good idea to leave them in the shower.

Also from other searches I have done online it appears that all bone combs are not created equal. The company I purchased mine from comes up a lot as having really good quality combs, but I guess some are not as strong as others.

Happy Hair Growing Ladies :grin:

manegoal

wow, I did not know about the being wet thing, but I never left mine in the bathroom because kids would bother it, I know them.

I looked into buying a horn comb once but was afraid my hair would break the teeth and even the ones that were considered wide-tooth seemed small to me. :ohwell: IDK

almond eyes

I have been using these combs for the past two years and I am convinced. And I used to think that it was normal that hair came out in the comb a lot.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Solitude

Oh wow, they are about to see a surge in traffic from LHCF because I really need a new comb. For the first time since starting my HHJ, I've been experiencing hair loss when detangling. I re-purchased some of my old Dominican products to see if that helps, but a new comb would probably help, too.

$18.50 seems like a lot, though, considering that I tend to lose combs...

Solitude

Alrighty. I purchased a detangling comb, a fine tooth comb (for rollersetting) and a little brush for my roots for rollersetting (blowing my roots out).

The fine tooth comb for rollersetting will be a true test to see if the seamless comb makes a difference for me. My total was like $33 and some change. Yeah, the most I ever paid for combs, but I remember when I switched to boar bristle brushes. They were also pricey, but they did make a difference.

Last edited:

Rikku

nooooo stop ordering ;___; lol they are going to run out before I can ask for permission from my mom to order one :( :( :( lol

Stella B.

I think I'll be giving this a try soon! Going now to check out the site. Thanks, OP! (Gonna put my $1.00 bone comb from Walmart to shame!!!):look:

Solitude

I think I'll be giving this a try soon! Going now to check out the site. Thanks, OP! (Gonna put my $1.00 bone comb from Walmart to shame!!!):look:

lol, you sound like me. I've been using "bone" combs from Wal-Mart for years. I always buy those multi-packs. Now I realize they aren't even true bone/seamless combs after reading through some of the links posted here.

They worked well over the years, but I'm excited to see how these true seamless combs work!

simplyhair

The combs offered at hairsense.com are not true or authentic bone combs. A true bone comb's color will turn to a rich, deep mahogony color when it ages due to the material used.

Colordesignsystems.com used to sell the original bone combs (members here used to buy from them back in the day) until they sold the business to spilo.com.

I bought the 222 back in 2006 from hairsense and was very disappointed when it arrived. Since I already had two bones combs from colordesignsystems, I knew upfront what to expect when the 222 arrived from hairsense. The combs from hairsense are not organic resin as she claims. Her combs are made from a plastic material.

Look closely at your comb. Does it look like the comb pictured on her site? The comb pictured on her site is an authentic bone comb...which she does not sell. I've seen that comb (pictured on her site) in person a few years back at a salon.

Check out the hard rubber, seamless combs at http://www.hotcombs.net

Last edited:

sharifeh

hmm I need a seamless comb.
Do you guys know of any beauty supplies that sell combs like this?
Gosh, I gotta stop buying stuff. :rolleyes: