What are some of your dumb pre-LHCF stories?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I was just thinking about how stupid I was about hair before LHCF. I used to try and put my hair in afro puffs, but it would never puff up, so I thought my hair was ''too good'' to make into an afro. It never occured to my dumb self that it wouldn't puff up because my hair was RELAXED! :duh: :hammer: I'm so embarrassed, cause I used to go around telling people ''I wish I could put my hair in an afro, but my hair's too good''

So stupid! :lol:

• I actually had overprocessed, bone straight relaxed hair, and I put CARE FREE CURL in it... to make it curly. I had to get an emergency BC in it three days later and went from below shoulder length to neck length. Oh yea, and I died it blue and it came out green that same month. :nono:
  • I used One 'N Only Curl remover and was surprised when I had breakage using Vitale months later.

Well, my hair is uber thick and at one point it got so thin that a pony tail holder wouldn't even stay on.:perplexed So, I kept saying, "Oh, it is because I am post relaxer and the relaxed hair is thinner than the new growth." How wrong I was? My hair was coming out and I was in denial. Even if the relaxed hair is thinner, my hair still should have had some thickness.

Update: I am almost six months post relaxer with over 4.5 inches of new growth and my hair is not thin so my last theory is comepletely thrown out the window.:yep:

Back in the day, I was relaxed and had color. I would experience a lot of breakage and believed it was because my hair needed the color to make it stronger. Cause I read it in a black hair care magazine :lachen::lachen::lachen:And the color of choice was Dark and Lovely :nono: and it never occured to me my hair needed moisture and DC every week.

oh goodness
when i was relaxed

...double processing, using curling irons everyday, using grease or oil when using those curling irons... (and thinking that just because my hair looked smooth and super shiny from the oil/grease that it was healthy and a-ok lol)

One time, when I lived in an apt, they were doing renovations so all the water was cut off. Well, I forgot and put a damn relaxer on my head! When I went to wash it off, I remembered there was no water and started to panick. We didn't have water in the fridge, nowhere. So instead of thinking of going to a neighbors house to see if they had any jugs of water, my dumb self decides the best thing to do would be to go to the gas station a mile up the street to get some. Only problem was I didn't have a car. So I walked a mile, in the dead of summer in ARIZONA, with a relaxer on from root to tip :perplexed:

I just knew all of my hair was gone. My scalp was...... I can't even describle the pain and burning. It was unreal. Surprisingly, I didn't lose any more hair than I usually did :eek2: I'm sure it was an overprocessed mess, but I didn't care cause I didn't take care of it anyway :lol:

One time, when I lived in an apt, they were doing renovations so all the water was cut off. Well, I forgot and put a damn relaxer on my head! When I went to wash it off, I remembered there was no water and started to panick. We didn't have water in the fridge, nowhere. So instead of thinking of going to a neighbors house to see if they had any jugs of water, my dumb self decides the best thing to do would be to go to the gas station a mile up the street to get some. Only problem was I didn't have a car. So I walked a mile, in the dead of summer in ARIZONA, with a relaxer on from root to tip :perplexed:

I just knew all of my hair was gone. My scalp was...... I can't even describle the pain and burning. It was unreal. Surprisingly, I didn't lose any more hair than I usually did :eek2: I'm sure it was an overprocessed mess, but I didn't care cause I didn't take care of it anyway :lol:

Wow ......ur very lucky.....they turn the water off in my condo all the time with no notice, I sometimes get so scared that this will happen to me while the relaxer is still on my hair.....Gotta remember to fill some jugs with water........:drunk:

I used to spritz my hair with hair spray and then put a steaming hot curling iron on top of it and listen to the crackle and sizzle. My curls would definitely stay put but it obviously wasn't the healthiest.

Why did I get a flashback from the movie Malcolm X when Denzel was trying to rinse the relaxer out of his head?

You got strong hair and scalp, Tiffers!!!

Why did I get a flashback from the movie Malcolm X when Denzel was trying to rinse the relaxer out of his head?

You got strong hair and scalp, Tiffers!!!

LOL! That's exactly what it was like, too! I was running around, turning all the sinks on, in a straight panic. That movie popped into my brain while it was happening and I thought to put my head in the toilet like Denzel did. But I thought about it for a second and was like ''hell naw, *** that!'' :lachen:

A long time ago when I had a super short cut, I let it grow out so I had about 1 inch of ng. I went to get it done and I was toiling between transitioning and relaxing. I told the stylist to just wash me and curl me because I hadn't decided yet. When I got home my hair looked HORRIBLE. It looked like exactly half fro half straight and my hair was maybe two inches long tops. I got up the next morning and called her and told her I wanted the relaxer after all and when could I come back. She told me she could do it that day. Little did I know that you are not supposed to relax a freshly washed head and the dummy did not tell me that either. I went in for the relaxer and before she could even move on to the next section, she had to rinse the section out before that-that's how bad it burned. Anyway, my head was so sore and raw that it bled for two days after that. Blood coming from the scalp is NO JOKE it just bleeds and bleeds and bleeds. Amazingly my hair didn't fall out.

I called myself wanting that light brown hair like Beyonce:rolleyes: so... I went to WalMart and picked out a Permanent color called "Sandy Brown":nono: :nono: Bad idea it came out ORANGE :burning:!! Looked a mess.

So what did I do 1 day later. I went back to WalMart and got another Permanent color that was darker and put it right on top of the orange. I'm surprised all of my hair didn't fall right out. Oh yeah and I was relaxed at the time.

A long time ago when I had a super short cut, I let it grow out so I had about 1 inch of ng. I went to get it done and I was toiling between transitioning and relaxing. I told the stylist to just wash me and curl me because I hadn't decided yet. When I got home my hair looked HORRIBLE. It looked like exactly half fro half straight and my hair was maybe two inches long tops. I got up the next morning and called her and told her I wanted the relaxer after all and when could I come back. She told me she could do it that day. Little did I know that you are not supposed to relax a freshly washed head and the dummy did not tell me that either. I went in for the relaxer and before she could even move on to the next section, she had to rinse the section out before that-that's how bad it burned. Anyway, my head was so sore and raw that it bled for two days after that. Blood coming from the scalp is NO JOKE it just bleeds and bleeds and bleeds. Amazingly my hair didn't fall out.

wow, your lucky your hair didnt fall out...that stylist should have known better, i've known that since i was little...

oh goodness
when i was relaxed

...double processing, using curling irons everyday, using grease or oil when using those curling irons... (and thinking that just because my hair looked smooth and super shiny from the oil/grease that it was healthy and a-ok lol)

this was me too. and sometimes i actually used the curling iron twice a day, once in the morning and then again if i was going out...

Back in the day, I was relaxed and had color. I would experience a lot of breakage and believed it was because my hair needed the color to make it stronger. Cause I read it in a black hair care magazine :lachen::lachen::lachen:And the color of choice was Dark and Lovely :nono: and it never occured to me my hair needed moisture and DC every week.

yeah - i believed the feria box when it said "your hair will be stronger/in better condition then before you colored". most hair colors STILL say that on their commercials - WHAT A JOKE!

in 10th grade i went to the bss and picked up some mystery powder thinking it would lighten my jet black hair a lil. so while i'm rinsin in the shower somethin told me to take a peek in the mirror....MY HAIR WAS WHITE AND BLACK:wallbash:. I jumped out the shower nekid n soakin wet, screamin to my mom that i would never leave the house again,that i wouldnt go to school.....but we just went to the pharmacy n picked up a dark n lovely brown sugar.....ppl kept on tellin me how cute it looked....to this day my mom still believes it happened cuz i used neutralizin shampoo to wash my hair:lachen:

my biggest issue was listening to stylists dumb comments ( "your hair is so thick , it can take all of this without any damage" " your hair won't get curly without the curling iron" " your hair needs thicker hair grease" " your hair is thick so it needs to be shampooed twice" " you can't use those products, they are for white people")

my own issues were

using spritz and curl wax to hold my curls
using a ton of gel to do a bun
detangling my hair from the root to tip
pulling my relaxer through to the ends
relaxing my hair too often
thinking I had to use a whole product line of products

Way back, there was this product called Sun-In, where you spray it on your hair and either blow dry to activate or hang out in the sun for some time and it will lighten your hair. My friend had used this product and her hair came out a nice color. I decided to try it on my bangs first. Well I sprayed and sprayed and then blew dry on hot to activate. The color came out well and so did my hair.:blush::wallbash: Every touch of my hair produced hair in my hands. I called my stylist to ask what to do and she said to put moisturizer on it. I ran and grabbed some Pink's hair lotion (I know, I know) put it on my hair and did not comb or brush my hair for two weeks.:perplexed

To this day my hair has always been black, it's natural color:rolleyes:

Way back, there was this product called Sun-In, where you spray it on your hair and either blow dry to activate or hang out in the sun for some time and it will lighten your hair. My friend had used this product and her hair came out a nice color. I decided to try it on my bangs first. Well I sprayed and sprayed and then blew dry on hot to activate. The color came out well and so did my hair.:blush::wallbash: Every touch of my hair produced hair in my hands. I called my stylist to ask what to do and she said to put moisturizer on it. I ran and grabbed some Pink's hair lotion (I know, I know) put it on my hair and did not comb or brush my hair for two weeks.:perplexed

To this day my hair has always been black, it's natural color:rolleyes:

Oh no dont even talk about Sun-In! Please tell me that stuff has been discontinued.

Back in the 90's when that crap was so popular, I used it and it didnt change the color of my hair but I experienced breakage you would not believe.

When I believed that Brown Gel grew hair! I would slather on pounds of the glob until my hair was was sculpted and helmet-like into a ponytail, than do it all over again the next day NEVER washing OR rinsing my hair! :perplexed

And when I also did not know that conditioner was supp. to CONDITION my hair!!! :nono: Because of a HORRIBLE stylist that I had for years from 12-16, I believed conditioner was a detangler, as she would only have it on my hair for 10mins with no heat or baggie...just to comb it out and rinse! :wallbash:

And because of that same stylist, believing in order to get my hair straight, I had to WASH, NO CONDITIONER, BLOWDRY FOR AN HOUR, PRESS, FLATIRON, CURL!!!!!! :wallbash:

When I think of some of the things I did wrong it's a wonder I even have hair at all. :eek:

Relaxed root to tip every 5 weeks....faithfully
Combed my dry hair with a fine tooth comb
Never deep conditioned, never regular conditioned either
When I washed my hair I lathered 3 sometimes 4 times.
Used the pink sponge rollers
Used Lustrasilks Pink Oil Moisturizer
Used rubberbands on my ponytails
Wore my hair in braids from months at a time without washing my hair. Only washed my hair between braid sessions (every 3 months)

After all of that had the nerve to wonder why my hair NEVER grew past SL. :wallbash:

here's my own story, it's very similer to Tiffers.:grin:

I was 4 months post relaxer and after removing the weave, I decided I couldn't take it anymore to I decided to relax my hair hours after removal. That's not the worse part...

After applying the relaxer, I went to jump in the shower. I went to look for my neutralizing poo...that's when I noticed I was completely out. Ladies, I had to run and jump in my car, drive to Wal-mart and buy some more. No cap, no nothing to cover my head. I was so scared that as soon as I got into the car I opened the bottle and started to apply the poo to my head. Such a dumb moment!:lachen::lachen:

From that point on, I remembered to have at least 2 bottles of the stuff around!:grin:

Last edited:
Before LHCF I used to wear braids, take them out three or four months later then perm and color the same day. To this day I wondered how my scalp survived that. :ohwell:

I used to spritz my hair with hair spray and then put a steaming hot curling iron on top of it and listen to the crackle and sizzle. My curls would definitely stay put but it obviously wasn't the healthiest.

Girl, I used to think that was the way to do it!:lachen: I remember also over spritzing my hair after getting it done to that it would last AND I used to bend the stiff hair in half thinking it was strong.

A dumb thing I used to do was shampoo my hair, like, 2 and three times and never deep condition my hair and only leave conditioner in for 1 minute. I also used to brush my hair a lot (sometimes while wet :blush:). And I thought that grease/oil was moisturizing, so I saturated my hair with pink oil moisturizer. Also, I combed my hair with a fine-toothed comb after taking cornrows out, thinking that's how I could get rid of the curls they created! Oh yeah, and the absolute dumbest thing I used to do was apply relaxer on my whole head instead of just the new growth. All in all, I'm surprised that I kept hair that was past shoulder length back then (even though it was dry and puffy).

Last edited:
here's my own story, it's very similer to Tiffers.:grin:

I was 4 months post relaxer and after removing the weave, I decided I couldn't take it anymore to I decided to relax my hair hours after removal. That's not the worse part...

After applying the relaxer, I went to jump in the shower. I went to look for my neutralizing poo...that's when I noticed I was completely out. Ladies, I had to run and jump in my car, drive to Wal-mart and buy some more. No cap, no nothing to cover my head. I was so scared that as soon as I got into the car I opened the bottle and started to apply the poo to my head. Such a dumb moment!:lachen::lachen:

From that point on, I remembered to have at least 2 bottles of the stuff around!:grin:

OMG, you're better than me! I probably would have been too shamed walk into Wal-mart with my hair in that condition. I remember one time when didn't have any neutralizing shampoo and I just used regular shampoo. I'm sure my hair was dry and over-processed from that.

Back