What are some of your dumb pre-LHCF stories?

I can relate to dang near every story, but my main ones are:

-Using "Pink Stuff" when it was getting time for a relaxer (seriously though, it was the best for being able to comb my hair when it was that knappy) :wallbash:
-For me, relaxing every 6 weeks on the dot and dying if I went over, then letting the beautician give me a "trim" which was barely the 1/2" that I had grown so I kept the same length forEVER :sad: (now I go almost 12)
-Spraying Salon Selectives hair spray and curling my hair with the curling iron, yesss, Sashaa08, and listening to it sizzle like that was a good thing :nuts:
-Not speaking up when I felt my hair had been "trimmed" enough (some of 'em used to cut for what seemed like 30 minutes) :dazed:
-Used marcel wax to curl my hair - (it was good to lay down them edges, though :)
-violently wrapping my hair with a bristle brush and wondering why I had one damaged spot forEVER :nono:
-blow drying on high heat and still end up looking like :antlers:
-lying to myself after a "trim" saying, 'oh she didn't cut that much' :pinocchio:

BUMP! Good thread to reminisce and, of course, swear to never, EVER do again! :yep:

When I was 14 my sister and I would buy gel from the dollar store and use it EVERYDAY to slick our hair back in a pony tail. After a while somehow the gel dyed our hair a lighter shade. Didn't stop us from using our dollar store gel though. :ohwell:

When I first went natural I would wear my hair in a puff everyday. I knew nothing about moisturizing or proper hair care at the time and my hair would be sooo dry and hard! To give it some shine I would spay my hair heavily with oil sheen. :rolleyes:

Man ... I did a lot of the same things some of you ladies have already mentioned:
  • When I was relaxed, I used to flat iron and hot curl my hair every single day;
  • I used to blow dry my hair on the hottest setting while it was dripping wet;
  • I used brown doo-doo gel on my hair like it was my job;
  • I put my relaxer in my hair from root to tip;
  • I tried to put copper highlights in my hair one time and it came out pumpkin orange. To correct the mistake, I immediately put a harsh black dye over that and it turned a weird muddy black-brown color. Yuch!:perplexed
It's a wonder I had any hair at all.

Why did I get a flashback from the movie Malcolm X when Denzel was trying to rinse the relaxer out of his head?

You got strong hair and scalp, Tiffers!!!

How bout I was thinking the same thing but hoping she didn't stick her head in the toilet.

I would have be scared.

Oh no dont even talk about Sun-In! Please tell me that stuff has been discontinued.

Back in the 90's when that crap was so popular, I used it and it didnt change the color of my hair but I experienced breakage you would not believe.

So you've been there and done that too:grin:

Lets see I think i've done everything you guys did just about.

I've relaxed my hair to the end a couple of times.
I've relaxed and colored and colored in less than a month
I've worn a ponytail in the same spot so tight I had a broken area in the nape
I use to use the curling iron with the orange marcel curling wax and spritz sometimes and thought the sizzle meant the curl would stay.
I've washed and applied a relaxer in the same day. Didnt burn my scalp because I washed it out when it began to burn. So I was underprocessed and half nappy roots.
Oh and yeah put oil on my hair and flat ironed.

Suprised I still had thick hair.

This is a little long:

From 4th to 6th grade (1994-1996), I kept my hair in braids continuously and my hair grew out tremendously.

Boy, I was rocking those braids. I had my friends calling me 'Brandy' and err-thing :lachen:

Of course, when I started 7th grade, I though I was to grown for braids, so I took them down and my mom took me to get my hair relaxed at the beauty shop.

Well, my mom worked a whole lot (still does) so she'd literally drop my *** at the beauty parlor all Saturday long and let them do whatever they wanted.

Being in braids for so long, my hair was gorgeous and healthy so initially, I got lots of compliments from my school friends and teachers.
Of course the stylist told my mom my hair was damaged from the braids and that she should bring me in every weekend for more irons, spritz and fine-tooth combs. :rolleyes: Both me and my mom swallowed her crap. :nono:

After a while, the compliments stopped coming and my hair got more and more tow up from going to the beauty salon so often.

Eventually, I ended up trying to "damage" my hair in an attempt to make it look like it had when I first took down my braids. :lol:

I'd brush it with a plastic brush while wet and even use curling irons on it while wet, hoping to get it as "damaged" as it had been when I took my braids down.:perplexed

Needless to say, 7th grade year was tough :nono:

I promise some of you have nothing on me

-I used to use a WHOLE bottle of sun-in on my hair at a time.
-I used to color my hair (with permanent color) every month cause i didnt like my roots
-Sophomore year of college i decided that I wanted to be a redhead and tried to color it a box red on mydark hair.. when that didnt work i went the NEXT day to the hairdresser had her bleach my entire head white then use a permanent color on top of the bleached her, but i thought I was ok since i hadnt had a perm in 4 months...:nono:

before I came to LHCF in july i went from highlights to brown to red to black then perm then braids.. then color again cause the black didn't take well enough for me then perm... this was all in july... except the 2nd perm... it was aug 4th!

lol... just writing it makes me feel stupid... and I thought it was all ok cause I am mixed with Puerto Rican and Indian...lmao!

I left a weave in for 7 months. :perplexed

My APL hair got matted and loc'ed under there. I had to cut it. I looked a mess.

That was 3 years ago and I am still trying to recoup from it. :nono:

• Relaxing ALL my hair with every touch up.
  • Not washing my hair in between relaxers so my hair would stay straight and I wouldn't wash the relaxer out.
  • Pouring peroxide thru my hair to make it lighter
  • Using the curling iron every day

Back in the day I would leave my braids in FOREVER - if one fell out with my hair roots attched (no problem :spinning:), if the braider told me not not wash them (no problem :spinning:), if it started to start like a afro at the base (no problem :spinning:).......I was trying to get my money worth out of them suckers!

In 2000, I was growing out a relaxer. The "hair hag" has cut my hair on 2 back to back trips so I dropped her. I started hot combing my hair, getting that comb nice and smoking on the stove. I even pressed between the 2-3 week washings AND used my curling iron on my shiny dirty hair:blush::blush:

I should have been bald before the other "hair hag" got me a a few years later!

I would use a flat iron on my SL hair with no heat protectant everyday to maintain straightened hair. I did not wash my hair between relaxers. If I did, I would use shampoo 3-4 times during my wash session. NEVER used conditioner. I never saw the point of using it. oh yeah. I relaxed my whole head 2 days after taking my braids out and relaxed my whole head again exactly one month later. I said "so long" to my shoulder length hair and became ear length in a matter of minutes. I thank God that he lead me to this site!

mine are like most of y'alls

i kept in micro braids for 9 months needless to say my hairline suffered.

i would slap on some relaxer less than an hr after taking the braids down cause the 'dirt' ade the relaxer work better :spinning:

the one time i had a weave i would use holding spray on the hair left out every single day

Back in the day I would leave my braids in FOREVER - if one fell out with my hair roots attched (no problem :spinning:)

So you'd walk around with plugs in your head? LMAO!!!!!!

These stories have me crackin the *** up!

HoneyDew, I don't even wanna know how your head was lookin with a 7 month old weave in it :lachen:

I would do a touch up WITH braids in my hair.

I hated poofy roots and frizzy edges. So after a while when my new growth started creeping up, I'd slather the relaxer all over my scalp all up and through those individuals and rinse and neutralize as usual. When I finished it was nice and neat and laid down and looked like I had gotten my braids redone. That would buy me another month before I took them out.

I would do a touch up WITH braids in my hair.

I hated poofy roots and frizzy edges. So after a while when my new growth started creeping up, I'd slather the relaxer all over my scalp all up and through those individuals and rinse and neutralize as usual. When I finished it was nice and neat and laid down and looked like I had gotten my braids redone. That would buy me another month before I took them out.

My friend USED to do that!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

My cousin and I would apply baby oil and then flat iron.

I let one of my homegirls curl my hair while it wet AND she added that damn ampro gel to the ends.

Sometimes I didn't use a conditoner:rolleyes:

My biggest mistake was taking my braids out and getting a relaxer the same day. That led to 3 years of non stop breakage. That was more than 10 years ago and my hair has not been the same since. I wish my hairdresser would have warned me. :wallbash:

When I was 14 my sister and I would buy gel from the dollar store and use it EVERYDAY to slick our hair back in a pony tail. After a while somehow the gel dyed our hair a lighter shade. Didn't stop us from using our dollar store gel though. :ohwell:

I did the same thing for years.

I also used to:

Overlap relaxers horribly and relax beyond bone straight.
I would relax, bleach, dye etc within days of each other.
I used tons and TONS of pink lotion because my hair never flelt moisturized
When I first started wearing wigs I didn't take care of the hair underneath you can probably imagine how well that turned out.

Ugh so many other things too probably.

Oh my GOODNESS!!!!.... i jus knew I was the only one that did this~~~ :grin: Man oh man what we did to our hair!!!!:nono:

• Relaxing ALL my hair with every touch up.
  • Not washing my hair in between relaxers so my hair would stay straight and I wouldn't wash the relaxer out.
  • Pouring peroxide thru my hair to make it lighter
  • Using the curling iron every day

My biggest mistake was taking my braids out and getting a relaxer the same day. That led to 3 years of non stop breakage. That was more than 10 years ago and my hair has not been the same since. I wish my hairdresser would have warned me. :wallbash:

is it just as bad if u have a weave for like 2-3 months then getting a perm the same day u take it out? cuz if so... i think im with u on this one...

and i was planning on doing it once i take my weave out now... :)blush:)

is it just as bad if u have a weave for like 2-3 months then getting a perm the same day u take it out? cuz if so... i think im with u on this one...

and i was planning on doing it once i take my weave out now... :)blush:)

Yes girl! I would wait at least a week before relaxing.:yep:

I did the same thing for years.

I also used to:

Overlap relaxers horribly and relax beyond bone straight.
I would relax, bleach, dye etc within days of each other.
I used tons and TONS of pink lotion because my hair never flelt moisturized
When I first started wearing wigs I didn't take care of the hair underneath you can probably imagine how well that turned out.

Ugh so many other things too probably.

I use to do that too, my scalp always felt it felt itchy after that.

I did that when I was 14, I loss so much hair..and to top it off, I did not COMB my hair out...I had no idea the damage I done...My hair was did not have the medium thickness that it had before after that. Its thick now that I stop getting relaxers.

Sadly, there are many women out there still doing all of these things we have stated :ohwell:

As for me..I have done a number of stupid things

* Over did the Sun-in thing too
* Pulled relaxers all the way through my hair
* Almost never conditioned (Deep condition unheard of)
* I would Dye my hair so much (I had to finally get to the put where I had none..yes it did finally happen :wallbash:)
* Using rat combs, pulling, tight pony's... :nono:

The list goes on.

Back