What Happened?!?

SingingStar12

I feel like kicking myself right now.
I bought a ceramic iron from Sally's and I've used it and it burned my ends.
The ends were the length I've gained pretty much over the summer, about 1 to 1 1/2 of an inch. After I used it my ends look fine, but once I moisturize them and it dries, they look frazzled and split and really damaged. My hair is soft and smooth right before you get to the last inch of it. It feels really hard and looks frizzy.
I wonder what went wrong though. Maybe my hair was too moisturized and sizzled on the iron. I don't know. I'm really sad because I just trimmed it in July and I really don't feel like trimming it off. I know I have to get a trim though. There is no way around it. I'm really depressed about it and I don't want to keep my hair in a bun to keep it concealed all the time. I'm sorry, I just needed to vent for a second. I feel like crying now.

SVT

Poster: SingingStar12
[ QUOTE ]
...After I used it my ends look fine, but once I moisturize them and it dries, they look frazzled and split and really damaged.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you moisturizing with?

inthepink

Oh, Singing Star, I'm really sorry. How long did you leave it on your hair? Was it the first time you used the iron? I hope it's not as bad as it seems...

chyna

What temperature setting did you use. I have the same type hair as yourself and I use mine on setting 10 and get excellent results.

anikalia

Try using a good reconstructor with heat 2-3 times over the next couple of weeks and keep it up and moisturized in a bun. If your ends don't bounce back, then you may have to trim.

Good Luck!

ChocoKitty

I personally think it's whatever moisturizer you've used. You get better results if your hair is "dry" or your hair will stick to the irons and "fry".

ChocoKitty

Oh the heat setting will definitely make a difference too! Since you are relaxed you may not need as much heat.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think it's whatever moisturizer you've used. You get better results if your hair is "dry" or your hair will stick to the irons and "fry".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. I only curl my hair when it is freshly washed and dried.

Questions: What name brand curlers did you buy and is it the flat iron or the curling iron? I really hope it's not as bad as you say it is.

Lee

In Cathy Howse book she suggest that you moisturzie your hair then wait a while before putting a curling iron in your hair. I don't know if you moisturzied your hair and immediately put the iron in your hair.

SingingStar12

Thank you for all the support guys. I really appreciate it. I haven't been able to get on because I'm back in school and I'm taking dance classes on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I figured out what my problem was; the moisturizers I use have water as their first ingredient and my flat iron may have been too hot. It has 20 settings and I was using 10, I changed the setting to five and it works pretty well.

SingingStar12

I also moisturized my hair and misted it and put it in a bun and it bounced back jsut like anikaila had said and after a few tries it dried straight with waves in it that looked like I had used a curling iron. I was able to go to the high school football game without straightening out my hair tonight. (And my high school team won!) Thanks for all the support ya'll.

Robin41

I've noticed that when my hairdresser flatirons my hair, she'll run the flatiron down the length from the roots but takes it off the hair when she gets to the ends. So the ends get a little heat from the flatiron without actually coming into contact with it.

That might help save your ends next time you flatiron.