Can You NOT Burn Hair with Ceramic FI???

Moroni

For the last 4 years, I have been getting my relaxers at this same salon, and not really having any complaints. It wasn't until I stopped going except for relaxers about every 6 to 8 weeks, though, that my growth began to accumulate. However, I've noticed that my ends are really rough, even though the salon is the ONLY place I have direct heat on my hair. I cut 4 to 5 inches off in July, and in late July, after my relaxer, I had breakage again.

When I had my next relaxer in September, I told the stylist that I noticed he spent a little bit longer time on the ends of the hair, and asked that he not curl the ends....just bump and get off, please....:ohwell: On the way home, my hair smelled burned! Now my ends seem rough and brittle again. I don't have any other problem with his services other than my ends are messed up, and now I need to cut another 3 inches to get to healthy hair (which I decided to just trim 1/2 inch every 8 weeks). I talked to him about it in preparation for the next appointment, and he said it wasn't possible to burn hair with a ceramic flat iron. Is that true???

crazydaze911

when it comes to hair in the WRONG hands, damage is always possible.

the extent of the damage depends on the person and also the iron they are using. do you know if his iron is 100% ceramic (thats a fairly NEW thing for flatirons in the US). If it is, its less damaging.

but besides that, if you are noticing an OBVIOUS pattern with this guy, it cannot all be in your mind and i would invest in your own iron or a different salon. But thats just me.

glamazon386

That's not true. You can burn hair. If you smell smoke, or the burnt hair smell your hair is most definitely being burned.

Moroni

when it comes to hair in the WRONG hands, damage is always possible.

the extent of the damage depends on the person and also the iron they are using. do you know if his iron is 100% ceramic (thats a fairly NEW thing for flatirons in the US). If it is, its less damaging.

but besides that, if you are noticing an OBVIOUS pattern with this guy, it cannot all be in your mind and i would invest in your own iron or a different salon. But thats just me.

I just know that he said that porcelain flat irons don't allow hair to burn. Porcelain is a ceramic material. I don't know the percentage. I just know I had breakage in August, and September after seeing him, and my hair smelled burned in September.

Moroni

That's not true. You can burn hair. If you smell smoke, or the burnt hair smell your hair is most definitely being burned.

Cute costume, Bmore! Yep, I agree. I just don't understand why he thought they can't burn hair, though. Could be just one of those irrational beliefs. I once heard someone say you shouldn't bathe during your monthly because you'd get water in your veins......you know.....irrational. :grin:

Sistaslick

Anything that gets hot enough can burn your hair! Ceramic, tourmaline, glass, whatever the conductor-- you can still burn.:yep: You have to be careful with ceramic irons just like any other iron. It doesn't matter what metal or surface your plates have-- if 450 degrees is being passed through your hair, then 450 degrees is being passed through your hair.

Your hair doesn't say, ohhhh... this is 450 scorching degrees, but it's a ceramic 450 degrees . . . :nono:

Ceramic irons are good because they provide an even heat surface that is typically free from hot spots or losing heat over time--- but they still heat your hair to reform bonds like any other type of iron. And sometimes they get even hotter than conventional irons.

I've read that the smell you smell when your hair is burned (or singed) is partly the smell of the sulfur being burnt in inside of your hair. I accidently burned my hair one time in summer school leaning over a soldering iron doing an electrical engineering lab. I had side swept bangs that hung down and I was leaning over the table working...all of a sudden... people were like... what is that smell?:lachen: It was my hair.:lachen:

Last edited:

glamazon386

Cute costume, Bmore! Yep, I agree. I just don't understand why he thought they can't burn hair, though. Could be just one of those irrational beliefs. I once heard someone say you shouldn't bathe during your monthly because you'd get water in your veins......you know.....irrational. :grin:

Thanks Moroni!

glamazon386

Burnt hair smells burnt, right??? Not cooked, or hot...but burnt, like something's burning?

I would say all of the above. When I get my hair flat ironed at the salon there is no smoke from the iron or blowdrier. And no burnt, smoky hair smell afterwards either. It smells fresh and clean like whatever product he uses. And it blows in the wind.

Moroni

Anything that gets hot enough can burn your hair! Ceramic, tourmaline, glass, whatever the conductor-- you can still burn.:yep: You have to be careful with ceramic irons just like any other iron. It doesn't matter what metal or surface your plates have-- if 450 degrees is being passed through your hair, then 450 degrees is being passed through your hair.

Your hair doesn't say, ohhhh... this is 450 scorching degrees, but it's a ceramic 450 degrees . . . :nono:

Ceramic irons are good because they provide an even heat surface that is typically free from hot spots or losing heat over time--- but they still heat your hair to reform bonds like any other type of iron. And sometimes they get even hotter than conventional irons.

I've read that the smell you smell when your hair is burned (or singed) is partly the smell of the sulfur being burnt in inside of your hair. I accidently burned my hair one time in summer school leaning over a soldering iron doing an electrical engineering lab. I had side swept bangs that hung down and I was leaning over the table working...all of a sudden... people were like... what is that smell?:lachen: It was my hair.:lachen:

Thanks, Sis, I thought so, but for some reason, this guy didn't. Sooo, we had a little talk today, BEFORE I go for my appointment on Friday. He said he will turn the temp down to the lowest setting that will allow my hair to straighten. Now THAT'S more like it. Maybe I'll share some of your logic with him. And to think, he's a haircare instructor, too. Yep, this is what I otta do! :buttkick:

Sistaslick

Thanks, Sis, I thought so, but for some reason, this guy didn't. Sooo, we had a little talk today, BEFORE I go for my appointment on Friday. He said he will turn the temp down to the lowest setting that will allow my hair to straighten. Now THAT'S more like it. Maybe I'll share some of your logic with him. And to think, he's a haircare instructor, too. Yep, this is what I otta do! :buttkick:

Maybe he meant compared to the marcel irons?:lachen:

It's funny because alot of people bought ceramic irons thinking they were the new "safe heat." Then the downside of that thinking is that people tend to think that with these certain types of technology, it is possible to use the tools more frequently. Then mounds of dry, crispy hair later . . . :lachen: They are superior straighteners, but they can still destroy your hair. :yep:

The companies are also partly to blame for this too. The whole . . . new "ionic" . . . "infared" micro technology thing. . . is just a few cute little buzzwords for regular old heat. They'll have you thinking that using their iron is the same thing as deep conditioning or something. :lachen:

450 is 450. :lachen:

texasqt

IF you are going back Friday, definitely ask what kind of heat protectant he uses, if any? It will help combat some of the damage whether he turns the heat down or not. You should go with your own HP available so when he says something like "You don't need a heat protectant and I don't have any," you can say 'I do and I insist." It's your hair and definitely go with you gut. Are there any other reasons for why your ends are in the state they are in.

Moroni

IF you are going back Friday, definitely ask what kind of heat protectant he uses, if any? It will help combat some of the damage whether he turns the heat down or not. You should go with your own HP available so when he says something like "You don't need a heat protectant and I don't have any," you can say 'I do and I insist." It's your hair and definitely go with you gut. Are there any other reasons for why your ends are in the state they are in.

No, there isn't. That's why it was easy to pinpoint where my problems stem from. He did say, though, that he uses a heat protectant and that was why he found my statement difficult to believe, but...pssschhhh! If the iron is too hot, how much protecting can it do? AND, he likes Paul Mitchell this that and the other. I haven't seen anyone here raving about that. He knows, also, that HE'S NOT CUTTIN' MY HAIR! I'll be sure to post pics on Friday. Thanks for your help.

texasqt

No, there isn't. That's why it was easy to pinpoint where my problems stem from. He did say, though, that he uses a heat protectant and that was why he found my statement difficult to believe, but...pssschhhh! If the iron is too hot, how much protecting can it do? AND, he likes Paul Mitchell this that and the other. I haven't seen anyone here raving about that. He knows, also, that HE'S NOT CUTTIN' MY HAIR! I'll be sure to post pics on Friday. Thanks for your help.

Please go with your gut and do what you said you should ":buttkick:" or see if he can rollerset instead. You already know what's causing the damage and you should be pretty skeptical about your stylist being that he is suppose to be the professional. Why didn't he catch the damage and try to remedy it himself instead of continuing to use the Fi or whatever. Our stylists are suppose to be the ones to say, "your ends are looking bad so let's turn down the heat some or let's do something else."

The last time I went to a stylist she told me she MUST cut my hair the next time I visited if she was to do it for my wedding. I never went back and the stylist who ended up doing my hair said she didn't understand why the initial stylist told me that!!! That was in June and I never got my hair cut until recently (trimmed). Thank God I found someone else!