What happens when you stop protective styling?

CarmelCupcake

Hey guys, I started bunning my hair about 5 years ago. My original plan was to protective style until my hair reached a certain length. Yea, that didn't happen. My hair reached its goal length, but now Im too scared to wear it out more because, im scared that the length that I achieved will break off. If some ladies could chime in on life after protective styling(lol), id really appreciate it. Thanks

virtuenow

You can transition to low manipulation styles. Your hair can be down, that doesn't mean it will break off. I have low manip styled for the past year and a half and it hasn't stunted my growth or retention.

Evolving78

Hey guys, I started bunning my hair about 5 years ago. My original plan was to protective style until my hair reached a certain length. Yea, that didn't happen. My hair reached its goal length, but now Im too scared to wear it out more because, im scared that the length that I achieved will break off. If some ladies could chime in on life after protective styling(lol), id really appreciate it. Thanks
I would wear my hair down one or two days out of the week and put it right back up in a bun or updo. It's ok to show your length. You don't have to do it daily. I wanted the length, since I wanted to wear big, full pretty buns. I'm going back to low manipulation so I can wash my hair more often.

BeautyBlvd

Beauty Blvd.
Yeah, I think as long as you continue to take care of your hair nothing too tragic is going to happen. I think if you vary styles it'll be A-OK, you should not experience breakage just because you show your length a few times a week. But if you start flat ironing and curling, etc. daily then you may suffer from heat damage.