What heat protectant do you take to the salon when you get a Dominican Blowout?

lilsparkle825

I'm getting my first DB in about a year this weekend, and I have become so much more paranoid about losing progress, especially since I really need a trim and am still trying to brace myself for that. Last year when I went I didn't take a heat protectant (I had no damage, but IDK who will do my hair this time), and I never used one when I went there on the regular when I was transitioning (again, no damage, but I want to be SURE).

I usually use CHI Silk Infusion or Sabino MB, but I am out of the Sabino and I think a serum might be too heavy anyway. I am thinking of running out to get CHI Iron Guard or that Silk Elements spray, but if I remember correctly, doesn't Aveda have an anti-humectant heat protectant?

In any event, what do you wonderful ladies bring along when you go to the Dominicans?

I used to go to the Dominican's for a blowout in my relaxed days and in my opinion, there isn't a heat protectant in the world that will protect your hair from that much back to back heat:nono:

First they wash your hair it feels good but its actually quite rough...in the process they tangle your hair by just carelessly rubbing your hair together in a ball....then they harshly comb it out with a large tooth comb. Then they comb it AGAIN in small sections to roller-set you, then you sit under the super hot high dryer for like an hour, then they take you out from under the dryer and blow each section of your hair with a super-powered blow dryer, hold the concentrator one inch from your hair while rotating a hard brush thru your hair to the point that smoke is commonplace in there.....all so you can have weightless flowy hair. You can get that result with the right products, airdrying or a light blowout and the right flat iron with way less trauma to the hair.

I'm sorry but in my experience, getting a dominican blowout isn't a treat, thats like a near death experience for your hair.

That extreme level of heat and manipulation just isn't for us.......I'm sorry:nono:

I used to go to the Dominican's for a blowout in my relaxed days and in my opinion, there isn't a heat protectant in the world that will protect your hair from that much back to back heat:nono:

First they wash your hair it feels good but its actually quite rough...in the process they tangle your hair by just carelessly rubbing your hair together in a ball....then they harshly comb it out with a large tooth comb. Then they comb it AGAIN in small sections to roller-set you, then you sit under the super hot high dryer for like an hour, then they take you out from under the dryer and blow each section of your hair with a super-powered blow dryer, hold the concentrator one inch from your hair while rotating a hard brush thru your hair to the point that smoke is commonplace in there.....all so you can have weightless flowy hair. You can get that result with the right products, airdrying or a light blowout and the right flat iron with way less trauma to the hair.

I'm sorry but in my experience, getting a dominican blowout isn't a treat, thats like a near death experience for your hair.

That extreme level of heat and manipulation just isn't for us.......I'm sorry:nono:
I got by for about 6-8 months out of my 12 month transition by getting DBs once every 3-4 weeks, and my natural hair wasn't damaged at all in the process. My scalp may have felt...well, scalped :lachen:but they haven't been detrimental to my hair journey *knocks on wood*.

I do know what you mean about it being a LOT of heat, which is why this time I want a heat protectant, in the off chance that I get the new girl who doesn't speak English.

mmmm okay well, hey I wish you nothing but the best *shrugs* plus if you have mostly 3c hair then you actually do have the type that seems to be able to handle that kinda thing, I think dominican styling seems to work best for women in the 3 range of hair anyway so hey. Best of luck:yep:

BlackMasterPiece has a point, they do get reckless with that blowdryer. On the other hand, 3c hair has more layers of cuticle than 4 hair does (right?), so she (lilsparkle825) may be okay if she makes sure she uses a heat protectant.

The last time I went, I posted about it (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=8748726&postcount=71), here's an excerpt:

I sat under the dryer [DC'ing] for a while, and they rinsed and rolled (after they had applied my Chi Silk Infusion, and my Nexxus Heat Protexx). I sprayed a little more Nexxus, "for the road", lol, and sat under the dryer.
As you can see, I applied the heat protectant twice, and Chi SI. If I hadn't already been carrying so much stuff, I would have also brought a second heat protectant, a serum, for after the dryer, but before the blowdryer.

ITA. I went to Queens, NYC to get a Dominican blowout at a well-known place and man oh man....I WAS IN PAIN throughout the entire process! I'm pretty sure I lost some hairs (especially at the front/edges) when they tried to detangle my baby fine hair to rollerset. They just ripped through from root to tip in a haste fashion. And when I was under the dryer only for a few seconds, my EARS WERE ALREADY BURNING! Oh my lord, I will never forget it, it was awful. I kept on telling the woman to please be gentle, I was clearly in pain and all the women around gave me attitude. I was so focused on getting my message across, I had to tell them in Spanish! Like, listen, I'm not playing around...Ugh, and the end result was frizzy fried ends, but somewhat soft roots...it was a mess. Never again! :wallbash:

I dunno, call me a wuss or whatever...

@Ivey14, I went to a place like that for a while. 'For a while' because it was close to home, and I couldn't travel too much then. Over time, I started to hate their attitudes, and they way they handled my hair. Finally, two terrible trims later, my health got a little better, so I could go back to my homegirls at Lila's. I still see that bad stylist in the street, and when I do, I flip my hair and keep walking.

However, one bad salon doesn't mean they're all bad, and even at a good salon, there's always gonna be those one or two.

eta: also, if you're relaxed and stretching, you could always just use them for their deep conditioning, let them blow out your roots, and wrap. I had the longest hair ever with that method.

Last edited:
@Ivey14, I went to a place like that for a while. 'For a while' because it was close to home, and I couldn't travel too much then. Over time, I started to hate their attitudes, and they way they handled my hair. Finally, two terrible trims later, my health got a little better, so I could go back to my homegirls at Lila's. I still see that bad stylist in the street, and when I do, I flip my hair and keep walking.

However, one bad salon doesn't mean they're all bad, and even at a good salon, there's always gonna be those one or two.

True, but even at salons that weren't as bad, they all had some kind of roughness somewhere along the process. I think it's a type of technique they use, since constant tension, pulling, and using high heat enables your hair to mold into looking longer, straighter, and "flowy".

I don't disagree with you, that's why I'm a DIY'er. What I'm saying is that, just like any other type of salon, you have to 'know' both the salon and the stylist. On those rare occasions, when I want a wash and set, I go to one place and let one of two stylists blowdry. As we all know, in Dominican salons, it's the luck of the draw who washes and sets you, but if they act wrong, I let them know. Not ignorantly, lol, but politely, and I explain why, using my pidgin, raised in East Harlem Spanish.

I also went and got a blowout on Tuesday. I am a little over 2 yrs natural. Although my hair is pretty, I wanted to cry. The last time I experienced their blowout technique was before I Bc'ed. That heat was torture. Felt like I was being burned alive. :burning:
They were really nice, but i was also shocked to see them rake a comb through my hair with the deep conditioner in it. And also use a fine tooth comb to rollerset me. I was waiting to see clumps of my hair on the floor, but I didn't. :look:

I really just wanted the DC and trim. So now I will pretty much take it from there, and Do it myself at home. :yep:

Unfortunately I totally forgot about my heat protectant, and although they did put something in before rollersetting, I'm not sure what it was. :ohwell:

I have Keracare humidity block oil sheen at home, so that is what i sprayed and wrapped my hair with when I got home. It's still straight today. :yep:

I haven't had a Dominican blow out in over a year now since becoming a DIY'er. I am tempted every so often to go back, but when I think about all that heat and the dominican's I go to have a thing for brushing dry hair which has me thinking, "Oh H#!! nawwww... where are you going with that brush?" I am not sure I am ever going to get another one...I'm not sure my hair can ake all that heat.

I take Brilliant Damage Control by Aveda. I have them spray my entire length (even though I only get the roots blown out) prior to rollersetting.

I had never heard of a Dominical Blowout until I found this forum and after reading this thread I've decided it is so NOT for me!! I didn't realize they used that much heat (honestly I didn't know what it was to begin with). When I straighten my hair I braid it in two and let it air dry then use the flat-iron. So my hair has never had that much heat. It would probably fall out! :lachen:

I'm not trying to throw a monkey wrench in your act but a lot of people I know who let dominicans do their hair their hair fell out. Dominicans also have a habit of using very cheap products.

OP make sure you are really comfortable with the salon you are visiting. It does not appear from your post that your skeptical.

My suggestion CHI iron guard or Nexxus heat protex(sp?). I've only been twice, however if I go again then I'll get the roots blown out.

Also, maybe you can take your own products and combs,etc.

I'm not trying to throw a monkey wrench in your act but a lot of people I know who let dominicans do their hair their hair fell out. Dominicans also have a habit of using very cheap products.

I agree with the bolded. That's why I always take my own products.

I had never heard of a Dominical Blowout until I found this forum and after reading this thread I've decided it is so NOT for me!! I didn't realize they used that much heat (honestly I didn't know what it was to begin with).

same here, I definately won't be getting one anytime soon

i've never been to a Dominican salon, so I can't offer up any advice on that.
i'm just bumping because i wanna make sure lilsparkle posts pics of her blowout...:grin:

Dominican Blowouts are not the devil. If you go once a year it's not a big deal. It's not like the OP said she was going once a week! Some of these posts sound discouraging.

Hmm...I find this to be slightly offensive somewhat. At least in the way you delivered it. I am half Dominican (dad's from Dominican Republic).

Although I understand that from the salons I've went to, the technique itself, can be harsh on someone's hair...I don't think it's right to generalize and say that "Dominicans" use cheap products, or that it's solely a "Dominican's" fault for somehow causing a person's hair to fall out. I'm sure there are other salons whose stylists aren't Dominican that use cheap products as well, and have also caused some hair grief...:ohwell: I don't think it's just an overall "Dominican" thing.

Every head isn't the same and its the same with Domincan salons. My sister grew her natural hair from chin length to APL and she relied ONLY on Dominicans (she refused to let anyone else touch her hair). Yes, she had her DBs every week faithfully and no, the products weren't cheap; the product line they carry is from Italy and you are looking at $50 a pop for a jar of conditioner.

From the tone of these posts, it's obvious that we all have differing opinions on the 'Dominican technique.' Not to hijack, but it would really be helpful of those posting their experiences would include which city they're in, since that may make a difference.

I would think that Dominican salons in Hispanic areas would be "better" in terms of service, products, etc, simply because their clientele are able to convey their displeasure. Much like African hair braiding salons and Korean nail places, it seems that when people providing a service don't speak the same language as their clients, there are always complaints, complaints that don't get handled in the usual way that businesses handle them, mainly because they aren't aware of the (extent of) the problem. (That made excellent sense in my head, I hope it did to y'all too)

And, no, doobies are not the devil. :lachen:
(that was mad funny)

I've been going to different Dominican salons weekly for the past 2 years...so while I obviously prefer their technique, their products leave a lot to be desired :look: IMO.

I'm not trying to throw a monkey wrench in your act but a lot of people I know who let dominicans do their hair their hair fell out.
You aint NEVA lied on that one:nono:......I'm so depressed seeing my cousin's hair disintegrate before my eyes going from a thick lush MBL to a scraggly choppy APL (she's beginning not even to qualify as that) relying soley on the Dominicans..... its just a crying shame. This used to be that Black girl in school that had hair that was the envy of every girl in school......I'm doing my best to educate her on healthy hair practices.....slowly but surely:ohwell:

Dominicans also have a habit of using very cheap products.
WOW do they ever!:blush: they use straight up detergent in ppl's hair word up, they wash it harshly and then they use a stripping shampoo in your hair and don't have type 4 hair that get's kinky when wet.......they'll talk about you right in your face in spanish telling the other ladies how you have nappy bad hair while smiling in your face. I hate the hair hierarchy that was always present there. (btw, I had been to several diff Dominican Salons)

Yall could keep them harsh drying blow-outs:nono:

when i have a fresh relaxer i use a spray. Treseme heat tamer spray.. its comprable to nexxus heat protector. when im stretching I use something thicker. fantasia IC heat protector and straightner (pink Bottle) a little goes a long way. I usually always get the roots blown out, b/c i noticed from years back how the texture of my hair changed b/c of all the heat.

I have been to Dominican shops in both Southern VA and MD/DC. Every salon had a different product list. The ones in VA had "black hair" products (i.e. Motions, Keracare, Olive Oil, Mizani). The ones in MD had "Dominican hair" products (i.e. Salerm, Lacio, etc). The ones in DC had both. Now, I haven't gone in 2 years so my list might be outdated.

Now as for heat, yes they use a lot -- this much we all agree upon. So I used to bring my own products in case I didn't like what they had. I never let heat touch my hair without the following three things (applied in order):
1. Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
2. CHI Silk Infusion
3. Paul Mitchell Seal & Shine

Prior to rollersetting I applied this and also again prior to blowdrying. I only had my roots blowdried so this was only reapplied to the roots. If I wrapped in saran wrap when I got home to sit under the dryer (a la "silk wrap") then I would mist #1 and 3 again.

My hair is something that I am working hard to protect. Once I went without my products and deep paranoia set in. Better to be overly cautious then to be "that one girl" all the LHCFers use as an example of what not to do because her hair broke off.

I dont go to Dominican salons often but when i do I use IC fantasia heat protectant (the pink bottle) or the chi silk infusion. This is mostly because when I go to the salon I really dont intend on getting a blow out I just get sucked in by my stylist. But I will also recommend Redken Heat Glide.

I have been going to dominican salons for over 10 years and I have never had any bad experiences. I switch off between 2 shops and they carry the more expensive products. Before I went natural I would carry my own products because although the products at the shop were high line products they were watered down to make them stretch.

quick update from my cell....i bought the nexxus heat protexx after reading the thread on the sabino formula change. there was a young girl with beautiful BSL hair who was able to rollerset and trim my hair. unlike last time where my DC was only left on for 8 minutes, this girl left me under for 30 minutes and *did* in fact roll my hair under. without me asking, she applied chi silk infusion before blow drying my hair on medium instead of "4 degrees from hell". the trim was absolutely perfect -- by the time I asked to see what she was cutting, she had it in her palm for me to see. I declined the oil sheen and she wrapped my hair. of course I took before and after pics; I will post them tomorrow. thanks for all your suggestions, ladies.

Back