What heat protectant do you take to the salon when you get a Dominican Blowout?

alright, so i took pictures on friday, but was too busy to put them in fotki until today.

here is a photo to give you an idea of what my hair looked like before (twistout):
102_0394-vi.jpg

and here's what it looks like now (sorry about the flash):
102_0402-vi.jpg

102_0405-vi.jpg

sorry about the mirror...had to sneak into my brother's bathroom :barf:
102_0409-vi.jpg

i'm extremely happy with the way it turned out...now all i have to do is avoid water for 2 or 3 weeks :lachen:

Lovely!

I just thought about this: I would suggest a dc and/or reconstructor next time you wash, if you weren't already planning to, not that you need it, but to stave off any potential damage.

I take Brilliant Damage Control by Aveda. I have them spray my entire length (even though I only get the roots blown out) prior to rollersetting.
i want this so bad! i found an aveda salon down the street, so maybe next paycheck i will saunter in there and buy it.
Lovely!

I just thought about this: I would suggest a dc and/or reconstructor next time you wash, if you weren't already planning to, not that you need it, but to stave off any potential damage.
definitely! my hair craves protein after it's been heat styled. most of my hair products, including my aphogee 2 min and emergencee, are in storage after a house fire we had, but i definitely have eggs and mayo in the fridge :ninja:

most of my hair products, including my aphogee 2 min and emergencee
Oh no! That is a tragedy (like the house fire wasn't bad enough). :nono:

:bighug:

re protein: I know that's right, I have to use keraphix and aphogee 2 min every week, or I start to have problems (yet another reason why I'm transitioning to texlaxed). I also use the 2-step or emergencee when I feel I need it.

Last edited:
You aint NEVA lied on that one:nono:......I'm so depressed seeing my cousin's hair disintegrate before my eyes going from a thick lush MBL to a scraggly choppy APL (she's beginning not even to qualify as that) relying soley on the Dominicans..... its just a crying shame. This used to be that Black girl in school that had hair that was the envy of every girl in school......I'm doing my best to educate her on healthy hair practices.....slowly but surely:ohwell:

WOW do they ever!:blush: they use straight up detergent in ppl's hair word up, they wash it harshly and then they use a stripping shampoo in your hair and don't have type 4 hair that get's kinky when wet.......they'll talk about you right in your face in spanish telling the other ladies how you have nappy bad hair while smiling in your face. I hate the hair hierarchy that was always present there. (btw, I had been to several diff Dominican Salons)

Yall could keep them harsh drying blow-outs:nono:

I think different salons has different techniques and we shouldn't lump all Dominican salons in the same category. Every person's experience is different and while some may have adverse effects from blow outs other's may not. I have a friend who goes to the salon wkly for blow outs and her is thriving, she is approaching bsl w/ no type of heat damage. Her salon is based in Brooklyn, NY and they do not use cheap shampoos and conditioners. I have an aquaintence who gets blow outs every two weeks and her hair is extremely damaged, her salon also does not use cheap products and sometimes she'll even bring in her own products but the difference is when my close friend goes she ONLY gets her roots blown out while the associate gets her hair blown out from root to tip.

It really depends on the technique and how you treat your hair afterwards. If you rely soley on the salon and don't upkeep your hair through the week then yes, you experience breakage. I went to the Domincan salons off and on for years and never exerienced any damage from them. The damage I had was from my lack of knowledge of proper hair care. I don't go to salons like that anymore b/c I prefer to save my money and am an advid DIY'er but I do give myself blow outs at home and my hair has thrived :yep:

So I said all that to say it really does depend on the salon and technique used, all Dominican salons aren't the devil :lachen:

alright, so i took pictures on friday, but was too busy to put them in fotki until today.

here is a photo to give you an idea of what my hair looked like before (twistout):
102_0394-vi.jpg

102_0402-vi.jpg

102_0405-vi.jpg

102_0409-vi.jpg

i'm extremely happy with the way it turned out...now all i have to do is avoid water for 2 or 3 weeks :lachen:

It came out lovely :yep:

I think different salons has different techniques and we shouldn't lump all Dominican salons in the same category. Every person's experience is different and while some may have adverse effects from blow outs other's may not. I have a friend who goes to the salon wkly for blow outs and her is thriving, she is approaching bsl w/ no type of heat damage. Her salon is based in Brooklyn, NY and they do not use cheap shampoos and conditioners. I have an aquaintence who gets blow outs every two weeks and her hair is extremely damaged, her salon also does not use cheap products and sometimes she'll even bring in her own products but the difference is when my close friend goes she ONLY gets her roots blown out while the associate gets her hair blown out from root to tip.
I think thats fair my cousin also only gets her roots blown out too but she's realxed AND color treated so that's a double whammy:nono:

It really depends on the technique and how you treat your hair afterwards. If you rely soley on the salon and don't upkeep your hair through the week then yes, you experience breakage.
Thats the perfect description of her reggie:ohwell:

I went to the Domincan salons off and on for years and never exerienced any damage from them. The damage I had was from my lack of knowledge of proper hair care.
That's the truth, I feel you on that one.

I don't go to salons like that anymore b/c I prefer to save my money and am an advid DIY'er but I do give myself blow outs at home and my hair has thrived :yep:

So I said all that to say it really does depend on the salon and technique used, all Dominican salons aren't the devil :lachen:
That's true there are some that are better then others, I think the issue is when people rely on them and them alone and do it every single week like she does:nono:

Can you tell I'm frustrated with the state of her hair?:giggle:

On another note Go BROOKLYN Go BROOKLYN!! I was born n raised in BK so I'm glad to see another brooklynite reppin:cool2:

Also, congratulations on the weightloss!! I'm gonna recommend your youtube channel to my cousin, I really hope she listens:ohwell:

Last edited:
I think thats fair my cousin also only gets her roots blown out too but she's realxed AND color treated so that's a double whammy:nono:

Thats the perfect description of her reggie:ohwell:

That's the truth, I feel you on that one.

That's true there are some that are better then others, I think the issue is when people rely on them and them alone and do it every single week like she does:nono:

Can you tell I'm frustrated with the state of her hair?:giggle:

On another note Go BROOKLYN Go BROOKLYN!! I was born n raised in BK so I'm glad to see another brooklynite reppin:cool2:

Also, congratulations on the weightloss!! I'm gonna recommend your youtube channel to my cousin, I really hope she listens:ohwell:

I think it's great that you're helping her get on track with proper hair care! is she a member here? I'm sure w/ your persistance her hair will make a complete turn-around :yep:

Nope she's not a member she's doesn't like being on the internet much....but yea thanks alot I'm doing my best with her:yep:

I really hope she watches ur vids and gets some insight.

I was gonna recommend taking a Bible, but I see you've gone and come back looking lovely. Please keep us updated to how your hair feels in a couple of days.

I usually take the CHI Iron guard or the Silk Element's one. The stylist I go to now used the Silk Element's one on every client's hair. I beat it into her head how important heat protection is.. LOL

Okay ladies, I have so many serums I can use including:

Chi Silk Infusion,
Biosilk Silk Therapy serum,
Fantasia IC hair Polisher,
Mizani ThermaStrength Strengthening Style Serum,
Eqyss Survivor Super Shine Detangler Serum,
Design Essentials Silk Essentials Serum,
Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Flat Iron Protection Spray,
Proclaim Glossing Polish Color & Heat Protection Serum, and
Joico K-Pak protect and Shine Serum.

But the one I would take to the salon with me is the Joico K-Pak Serum just because.....

Last edited:
I was gonna recommend taking a Bible, but I see you've gone and come back looking lovely. Please keep us updated to how your hair feels in a couple of days.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I will definitely do that.

Re: some of the other posts...I did notice a bottle of Silk Elements spray sitting on one of the tables (as well as that CHI Silk Infusion I mentioned earlier), so they must have at least a few clients who mention the need for a heat protectant. I must admit I was very ignorant about the upkeep of my hair when I frequented that salon as a transitioner (largely pre-LHCF), so I didn't always do the things that now seem common sense, such as DCing with both protein and moisture before and after using all that heat.

Another thing that wasn't so commonplace before? ASKING QUESTIONS. In the past I would go with the flow and just let them do whatever, but the first thing out of my mouth on Friday was "do you have someone here who specializes in natural hair, because the last thing I need is someone who doesn't know what they're doing!" :lachen:I also asked for *only* my roots to be blown out and what kind of DC they used. Shoot, I figured since they were charging extra for my natural-ness and the length of my hair (can't figure that one out to save my life), they had to suffer through the interrogation!

^^ this.

You have to make your voice heard. Going to 'the Dominicans' is not like going to a black stylist. A black stylist will look at you crazy if you decline something, like, don't you know, I'm a professional!?!? Meanwhile, the dominicanas are like, oh, ok. It's the difference between having your friend do your hair vs your grandmother. I get the impression that they actually respect your involvement in the process (as long as you ain't too extra).

^^^I go to black stylists once or twice a year for trims been going to the same people since High School and I tell them exactly what they're gonna do to my hair from start to finish and they usually agree to everything I tell them. They're classy professional gentle, and use only aveda or mizani products.

I think Kami made a great point when she said it depends on where you go, my salon is more high end, they greet you warmly when you come in, serve you tea order lunch for you, not only is it black staffed but its black owned.

Totally depends on where you go.

I think Kami made a great point when she said it depends on where you go, my salon is more high end, they greet you warmly when you come in, serve you tea order lunch for you, not only is it black staffed but its black owned.

yo...

where do YOU go?! lol

Of course, but I'm talking on average. I, too, have a black stylist I go to for weaves and serious cuts/styles. She's the heir to a chain of Harlem salons that were pretty well-known back in the day, she styles famous people, and her family has known mine since they all were still down south, therefore I, too, am greeted warmly and provided amenities. However, that is not the average experience with black salons, which is why we have so many threads here about stylists and their terrible 'chair-side' manner.

Upon re-reading your post, I realize you're probably talking about a natural hair salon, like Turning Heads, no? That's a whole different kettle of fish, imo.

Last edited:
lol lilsparkle:lachen:!! Yea I'm spoiled:love2: It's a lovely place, I'm actually gonna be featuring them very soon on my blog I do all my styling and haircare myself so I almost never go to the salon but when I do, their the only one's I trust, they'll be featured on my blog pretty soon:yep:

Hey HoneyBee, they actually do both relaxed and natural hair and I go to them for the yearly trim. They use high end organic(like Aveda) or high end products like Mizani exclusively from the shampoo down to the shine serum everything is top notch. I love the service, love the way I end up looking and I love to support a professional well run black owned business:yep: its a win-win. Anywhoo like I said I shall be featuring them on my blog shortly:grin:

Last edited:
I myself have been going to the Dominicans for years. I only let them do my wash and sets. The thing is after I dry I only get my roots blown. Just enough to get the dent from the roller out. I personally never used any heat protectants thus far. I did think of trying one recently and I was recommended Nexxus Heat Protexx sp? The key to these salons is allowing the beautician to get comfortable and knowledgable of YOUR hair. The type, the needs, the do's and the don'ts. I only let one specific lady do the blowing portion of the routine. And so far my hair totally agrees with it. I think my hair may even be trained to it. When I have gone times without getting the roots blown, my hair just doesnt flow the same. Even though I have'nt tried the Nexxus protectant yet, I can recommend it based on reviews from friends of mine that love it.

I myself have been going to the Dominicans for years. I only let them do my wash and sets. The thing is after I dry I only get my roots blown. Just enough to get the dent from the roller out. I personally never used any heat protectants thus far. I did think of trying one recently and I was recommended Nexxus Heat Protexx sp? The key to these salons is allowing the beautician to get comfortable and knowledgable of YOUR hair. The type, the needs, the do's and the don'ts. I only let one specific lady do the blowing portion of the routine. And so far my hair totally agrees with it. I think my hair may even be trained to it. When I have gone times without getting the roots blown, my hair just doesnt flow the same. Even though I have'nt tried the Nexxus protectant yet, I can recommend it based on reviews from friends of mine that love it.

I just want to say that I love your siggy pic. You look beautiful.

102_0394-vi.jpg

102_0402-vi.jpg

102_0405-vi.jpg

102_0409-vi.jpg

Ooooh me likey lilsparkle. Your hair is looking really great and nice and thick too:yep:.

I take whatever i have available Paul Mitchel seal and shine is good

...Women need to realize that the blowout is not very good on natural hair...it takes too much heat to straighten type 4 hair so yea common sense tells you is a lot of heat...I have gone to a lady in new york for years and she has so much experience with that blower i dont get my scalp burned!!!! I only get my roots blown out because heat is not good for any type of hair....

You need to find the right stylist, dominican or not! not all stylist are created equal!

Last edited:
I take whatever i have available Paul Mitchel seal and shine is good

...Women need to realize that the blowout is not very good on natural hair...it takes too much heat to straighten type 4 hair so yea common sense tells you is a lot of heat...I have gone to a lady in new york for years and she has so much experience with that blower i dont get my scalp burned!!!! I only get my roots blown out because heat is not good for any type of hair....

You need to find the right stylist, dominican or not! not all stylist are created equal!

I agree! I've been going to Dominican salons for about 10 years now - some have used cheap products but many have used great products like Alter Ego, Nexxus, etc. It all depends. I always figured, if I'm only paying $23 for a wash and set (in NYC) then I don't mind bringing my own more "expensive" products. Here in Maryland I am lucky if I pay $40 for a wash and set and I've noticed that MOST of these salons already use the "expensive" products. I guess you get what you pay for (but I sure do miss those $23 wash and sets!)
Another thing - regarding the damage to your hair - I find that if you deep condition every week and take breaks every now and then you can prevent a lot of the damaging effects. My hair is extremely dry and the blow outs really make it that much worse. I MUST DC every wash and I limit blowouts in the summer. You have to find what works for your hair!

Back