What heat protectant does your stylist use?

Does your "STYLIST" use a heat protectant?

• Yes: every time heat is invloved

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • No: a heat protectant is not used

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I don't go to the salon

Votes: 44 29.9%

• Total voters

Tenacious

Well, my stylists vary. My favorite stylist used a Joico heat protectant. Another used Chi, both are really awesome. I think Joico is best because it made my hair really shiny and I when I washed my hair, my hair fully reverted yet it protected well against humidity...

One stylist, however, used this Redken "Spray Starch" and it made my hair feel like straw :perplexed. I walked into the salon with bouncy cupid curls and came out looking like 6 months post-relaxer, and that shouldn't happen if all you're getting is a flat-iron done. That was absolutely the worst. What's so bad is that I came in the night before, showed them my hair and asked if anyone could straighten my hair. Then the stylist saw my hair and was like, "Your mom must have REALLY CURLY HAIR..." I'm like "No sh** Sherlock!"

I looked better before she did my hair. Split ends and all....

SimpleKomplexity

I dunno about before my last stylist....but my the last one never used a protectant. She used heat, and I used to hear my hair crack sizzle and pop...but I thought that meant I was gonna look hella good when I stepped outta there so I didn't care lol:look:

tocktick

I personally in all of my years of goign to salons (even when I was relaxing) remember a stylist using a heat protectant.

I am curious to know what your stylist are using in the salons. I know that the lasy I currently go to for my blow dry and curl sprays some thing ON THE ROOTS (not the whole length of the hair) before blowdrying. I am no sure if it is a heat protectant though.

When I was relaxed I know for sure that the all of the dominican salons I went to did NOT use it. Except one...they sprayed something ON THE ROOts as well. I am not sure what is was though.

A lot of women (especially naturals and transitioners) are worried about heat damage yet I don't meet many women who have stylist who use heat protectants. Yet...in many threads on this board concerning heat the number one thing mentioned is the protectant.

there is probably a difference here because 1) people might be afraid to challenge their stylists or 2) aren't even taking note of the type of products being used on their hair.

it's a little worrying, imo, that the responses for the "no" options are pretty high. there is no need for anyone to walk away with damaged hair when it could have possibly been avoided by using a relatively cheap product.

Barbara

Princess
I bring my own products to the salon. Hairobics Hair Oil or Hairobics Detangling Oil, African Royale Hot 6, or Verifen Complex Hair Oil are used before pressing. I don't have a heat protectant. :nono:

Carisa

The one time i went to a stylist to get my hair straightened she didnt use any but i use tresse'me at home if i am using heat

Blessed2bless

When I was going to a stylist......She used Dudley's pressing creme. I'm not sure if it is a heat protectant. She used a very small amount before she'd blow dry and then pressed my hair.

LaFemmeNaturelle

My stylist never used a "heat protectant" but she used one of Design Essentials' leave in conditioner. And I never experienced damage. As far as I'm concerned, anything with cones is a heat protectant.