What I learned at the beauty shop today!

keeshesfromindy

I was told to put heat on my hair, also my beautician said that just washing and not drying could cause my hair to break off. She told me to try roller sets. I do not mind, just a little scared. She told me what rollers and what clips to buy. She also told me to dry and flat iron, just don't put too much heat day in and day out. She also said that my hair is too different textures when it's wet, I guess applying a little heat will make it one(not sure about that). She also said it may help my hair from being too dry.
If anyone has any comments about this please tell me what you think.
Keeshes

I have never heard that washing and not drying will cause your hair to break. I can only see that happening if you are not gentle with your wet hair. I have been airdrying for at least 5 years now and have no problems with breakage. That's my personal experience.
smile.gif

I don't agre with this part:

[ QUOTE ]
I was told to put heat on my hair, also my beautician said that just washing and not drying could cause my hair to break off.Keeshes

[/ QUOTE ]

She's right of course about not applying heat daily but I certainly don't think it's a MUST after washing.

Very interesting. I read on one of the now defunct hairboards (actually I think it's pay-per-view now) that flat ironing,applied properly, can be like a hot-oil-treatment. I press my hair about every 3 weeks and I have seen no damage. But when I bumped the ends everyday, way-back-when, all my ends broke off...

I think that the only way air drying would make your hair dry and brittle is if you didn't moisturize it and didn't use a leave in conditioner. Properly combing through with a wide tooth comb is also necessary to remove tangles.

I've never had a problem with airdrying even before I found the hair board. My ends would only look a little dry or frayed if I had splits or if I didn't properly moisturize.

I really don't know about flat ironing the hair..I'm a no-heat person..I rarely use heat appliances with the exception of a hood dryer. Other than that I'm clueless. I do know that some people use it sometimes without problems, I wouldn't tho'..

If she says to rollerset and THEN flat iron the hair, I personally believe that's too much heat. If she says to air dry and then flat iron..I don't know about that..Maybe if it's done lightly on low heat or with one of those ceramic irons, then I guess it would be okay...

I see everyone's point. When I air dry, i try to moisturize my hair, but sometimes I see too much hair in either my comb or hand. I try to be very gentle with my hair. I have to leave-in conditioners I alternate between. I use v05 detangle and shine, and also 911 for very dry hair. These work on my ends. I try to remember to section my hair before I start detangling my hair. I will try to apply some heat when I do my conditioner wash during the week. I give my hair the works on saturdays. My hair my be breaking off in kitchen on my left side because I wear it up in a claw. I will try to keep my hair a little lower if i wear the claw clip, I am not sure if I want to use "no breakage" elastics on my hair. I always see a few strands of hair in them when I use them. I do however like the rollerset solution. I will doing some heavy searching for the best setting lotions for my hair.
Thanks!
Keeshes

In regards to the airdrying.....that's along the lines of what Marvin believes.....that the way your hair airdries can casue breakage and that you should roller set.....
look.gif

I see her point. Using the heat does smooth the cuticle and even the texture of the hair and makes it more manageable.

But I'm not getting any negative results from air drying. I just put it up in a protective style anyway once it's dry. I bet for someone wearing their hair down daily, then air drying probably wouldn't be the most optimal.

Back