witness at the beauty shop...

@HE_Blesses_MY_Tresses, are you located anywhere near the CSRA in Georgia?

Oh Well my search continues

Unfortunately I am not, I live in NY at this time. I cant say what the future holds but I will say that I requested an application to the Paul Mitchell Cosmetology school there in ATL just in case, this was before my sons father and I even considered getting back together but we both want to go someplace warmer and his mom is in ATL so who knows.... if I do decide to move to GA I need 700 more hours per Georgia state licensing to be licensed in GA....

JOI

This is something I think many ladies here should consider :yep: I am always surprised at how little stylist know 2 (although I know some of these type of stylist aren't legit and don't have licenses) And I have also heard the rumor that not relaxing on time (8 weeks) causes shedding- is this something taught in beauty school (If not then why is this rumor so common amongst stylist)

Yep, This is what our Instructor told us, We should relax every 6-8 weeks LOL, So that's why it's very common for a stylist to tell you that. Of course it is Not true smh.

JOI

Yeah I've seen the results of that...a "chemical haircut" smh. The instructor paraded her around school as an example of what NOT to do... He wasntvthe instructor who told her it was okay to do it so he was like errrbody is getting a lesson today! Lol

I think another problem is that there is a surplus of Caucasion and other ethnicities who are teachers of the trade and have not necessarily had experience with our hair outside of the Cosmetology school textbook so they don't know how to shift fire or adjust to each individuals hair type.... I had an instructor debate with me on the fact that I can comb my curly hair wet just because it said not to in our books... I told him as a matter of fact, if you come by my dry hair with a comb or brush then we will be fighting... It's MY hair and I know what works... there was a woman eulogy straight hair to her tailbone cho came in and wanted a wash and flat iron and when I did the consultation, she told me she had extremely curly hair so I knew I was going to wash it in sections and detangle in the sing with the conditioner on her hair and everyone was looking at me like I lost my mind, my instructor thought I was going to run out if time but I got it done PERFECTLY and he was so impressed and my client was as well, at the speed, the finished product and most of all the TECHNIQUE, needless to say that I got all the "ethnic walk-ins" after that but they knew to leave me alone about my techniques.... Lol

Yeah My Instructors left me alone also when They saw the speed and results of my work also lol, I miss doing hair. But my health comes first :) I'm just doing mines and my daughter that's it lol, Sometimes my mom when I feel up to it. Maybe in the future I don't know, we'll see.

Yep, This is what our Instructor told us, We should relax every 6-8 weeks LOL, So that's why it's very common for a stylist to tell you that. Of course it is Not true smh.

Yes, they tell you that to build your clientele base, "repeat services". But part of our profession is educating our clients on healthy hair care, not just fill the seats every 6-8 weeks. Common sense would tell you that once you have that steady clientele and they are rotating in and around each other the time will fly and you get them in for other services as well because of the lengthy stretch... The only think I can say needs to be diligently followed is color touch ups, and that depends on the individuals lifestyle, budget and whatnot... Quality quality quality, not quantity. A lot of salons are worried about how many heads were done for the day, well it doesn't matter if 9 out of 10 were counterproductive to the health of the clients hair. I just feel that as a Cosmetologist, it's a great compliment when someone trusts you enough to perform a service, especially a chemical or cut and I would hate to destroy that trust just because I didn't take the time to listen or seek out other methods...

MsSanz92

You really should have done her hair for her being that she's your friend and everything. I would not let my friend stay in that woman's chair so she could butcher her hair.

THicknLong

Yeah this is the reason why I do my own hair.

OP, did your friend allow the stylist to cut her hair? Did she even notice that her hair was shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

So I visited her today..LADIES SHE CUT OFF 4 INCHES!!! to be exact. The back of her hair is APL'ish and the front is SL.. She said the lady told her she had lots of split ends and she needed that cut... smh.. I informed her today that everything her stylist charged her $75 to do she could have let me done for half the price. ..lol yes she noticed her hair is no longer there, she said it would grow back.. I told her she's better than me cause she would have got snatched if she cut 4' of my hair!!!..I guess she did allow her to cut it because she didnt make a big deal about it.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Wow...this is why I do my hair on my own. I was with my sister when she went through cosmetology school and the crap they told her was ridiculous, I had just began lurking on here and whenever she would bring me in to be her model or whatever and she would do MY hair the way I asked her to, her instructors would give her a hard time. But as the client I knew what I want and the time she relaxed my hair after a 2 month stretch, one of her instructors (an African American one, proving that it's not just the Caucasian ones spouting this ignorance) told her to "smooth" (i.e. comb with a fine-toothed comb) the relaxer down the length of my hair (which was APL at the time) and I jumped up and was said, "H*LL NO Deb, do my hair the way I asked you to!" and the instructor tried to get funky so I had to go up in her *** and then she tried to get my sister in trouble over it...needless to say, me and my momma had to go bank in there and get the instructor fired (she started trying to make my sister's life a living hell, she would call me crying and said that the instructor called her stupid and told her to just drop out) to this day it makes me so mad I want to punch her in the face!!!

Woooh...I had to bring it back down...I was getting mad, and that was two years ago. Anyways, yea it's not the stylists fault they are taught incorrectly and ethnic hair care in cosmetology school is not taken seriously. It's just sad.

THicknLong

Wow...this is why I do my hair on my own. I was with my sister when she went through cosmetology school and the crap they told her was ridiculous, I had just began lurking on here and whenever she would bring me in to be her model or whatever and she would do MY hair the way I asked her to, her instructors would give her a hard time. But as the client I knew what I want and the time she relaxed my hair after a 2 month stretch, one of her instructors (an African American one, proving that it's not just the Caucasian ones spouting this ignorance) told her to "smooth" (i.e. comb with a fine-toothed comb) the relaxer down the length of my hair (which was APL at the time) and I jumped up and was said, "H*LL NO Deb, do my hair the way I asked you to!" and the instructor tried to get funky so I had to go up in her *** and then she tried to get my sister in trouble over it...needless to say, me and my momma had to go bank in there and get the instructor fired (she started trying to make my sister's life a living hell, she would call me crying and said that the instructor called her stupid and told her to just drop out) to this day it makes me so mad I want to punch her in the face!!!

Woooh...I had to bring it back down...I was getting mad, and that was two years ago. Anyways, yea it's not the stylists fault they are taught incorrectly and ethnic hair care in cosmetology school is not taken seriously. It's just sad.

:lachen: lol #DEAD!!! you sound just like me.. I guess some people are just made to allow these dumb people to do anything to their hair!! Im glad you spoke up because if it wasn't your sister doing it, that person may have caused you to catch a case..lol

anon123

That is so messed up. And the sad thing is this story is not all that uncommon. I mean, dang. That's why I was so nervous to go to Reniece. Fortunately, she turned out to be very knowledgeable, gentle, and great overall. But this story is precisely why people are so afraid of stylists. Sheesh, I would never go back to her again and your friend should tell her exactly why she'll never be returning.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
:lachen: lol #DEAD!!! you sound just like me.. I guess some people are just made to allow these dumb people to do anything to their hair!! Im glad you spoke up because if it wasn't your sister doing it, that person may have caused you to catch a case..lol

Girl...let me tell you, I am usually a nice and sweet and genuine person (with a good amount on class) but when people do me wrong I just go Hulk (lol) I cant help it; it's not just my hair, you know it's like I am paying for this service and you're going to screw me over?! No ma'am.

sunnieb

Ugh! I hate hearing these stories! That's why I bit the bullet and became a self-relaxer.

Hope your friends hair recovers.

GraceV

I have come to the conclusion that stylists are just that STYLISTS. Most of them know nothing about healthy hair practices and many refuse to learn. Folks can't even get a roller set right much less a relaxer. smh.

THicknLong

This is so true, and the older one's don't want to learn about them either. The only thing I will ever go to a salon to get done is a rollerset..=

I have come to the conclusion that stylists are just that STYLISTS. Most of them know nothing about healthy hair practices and many refuse to learn. Folks can't even get a roller set right much less a relaxer. smh.