witness at the beauty shop...

THicknLong

So yesterday I went to visit my friend at a beauty salon, she was getting her hair done. She hadn't had a relaxer since May 2010 since she was pregnant she decided she would wait til, she was done breast feeding. Well She had about atleast 4 inches of new growth.. So she sits in the ladies chair (beautician claims she's been doing hair for 24 years). Cant be because She did something to my friends hair that if she did to mine I would have to :kick2:A#$.. Anywho she her first mistake was taking a small tiny comb through my friend 4B hair stated that she needed to clear it out at the ends. So of course me being the LHCF memeber that I am.. I asked her why didn't she use a big comb " her statement was that the big comb wouldn't take out all the tangles..lol. So I shake my head and continue to watch her comb through my friends hair. She wanted to school me about why our hair sheds because our hair is use to having a relaxer every 8 weeks. Of course I responded to her about moisture and also using protein so that my hair is also as strong as the new growth. Guess she didn't think I knew anything about hair.
So what happens next would make any memember here want to :eek:ffrant: so she starts putting the relaxer to her new growth. So I am thinking " shes doing something right". Finally the relaxer has been applied.. this crazy ***.. sorry for the bad words cause this is when I got :heated:she took the rest of the relaxer and combed it down to her whole head.. Then she starts to comb her hair all the way down. I was so upset I just left my friend and told her to call me when she was done. My friend sent me a pic of her hair.. her hair was about two inches to bra strap length before she went in.. Her hair is now a little past shoulder length.
Seeing what this beautician did made me realize why i do not miss going to any beautician!!!

Last edited:

Fine 4s

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......how do you go from almost BSL to SL skipping ALLLLLLLLLL of APL?! SMH

THicknLong

My friends knows about the website..I thought she knew better not to let that woman do her hair like that. she skipped apl all the way, when she sent me the picture my jaw dropped the only thing I could come up with was "wow, your hair is so straight".

This is why I stay at home with my rinky dink hair dryer and my tangle teezer. Stories like this.:nono: I don't think I'd enjoy the "pampering" of having someone else tackle this diva on my head because I'd be all up in the beauticians kool-aid the second she puts comb to head. Maybe one day I'll go back....:perplexed

Nasdaq_Diva

Its really not the beauticians fault. There are consultations given for a reason. You're never supposed to just hop in anyone's chair just because there is an opening smh.

I hope your friend gets a clue and doesn't do business with that woman again.

mischka

shrinkage.
She wanted to school me about why our hair sheds because our hair is use to having a relaxer every 8 weeks.

its so weird to me how hair stylists consistently know, like, nothing about hair

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
This is why i don't go to the beauty parlor anymore. Cause if i have to fight with you over what i want done to my hair and the end product ends up me going from bsl to sl.......you no will have a problem.....smh. Not all hair dressers are bad I just have to find the right one who cares about my hair before they put their hands on it.

OrangeMoon

:-( And I was thinking about going to get my hair did this weekend. Nope Nope nevermind I'll just kitchen it up and call it a day.

THicknLong

I wish I could post the picture, because it even looks like her hair looks thin. The last time she had a relaxer, her hair was so lush and bouncy.

THicknLong

That makes two of us.. I have an inch of new growth, Im going to tackle that on my own this weekend and just rollerset. After I witnessed this mess :nono:.. I chose not too anymore.

:-( And I was thinking about going to get my hair did this weekend. Nope Nope nevermind I'll just kitchen it up and call it a day.

maxineshaw

Its really not the beauticians fault. There are consultations given for a reason. You're never supposed to just hop in anyone's chair just because there is an opening smh.

I hope your friend gets a clue and doesn't do business with that woman again.

Exactly. Personal responsibility must come into play.

NicWhite

So sorry about your friend. BSL to SL in a matter of minutes is hard to take. Like others have said, I hope she does not go back to that lady.

Side note: The thinness may have to do with some post-partum shedding.

AlliCat

DIY > stylists.

I don't hate hairdressers. I would go to one but not for a relaxer. No one can/will put as much effort and time into my hair as me. I would go to a salon for a wash and set or something. If they wanna trim i have my excuse ready: "I only trim my hair right after a relaxer". And since I never get relaxers there they'll never be trimming my hair lol :)

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I wish I could post the picture, because it even looks like her hair looks thin. The last time she had a relaxer, her hair was so lush and bouncy.

For some people it happens like that. For me, relaxers gradually thinned my hair (over time). So the first few weeks were spent trying to 'pump the volume'. SMH

I don't miss those days at all. I also agree with the person who posted about personal responsibility. If we see something going on with a stylist, speak up (politely). I recently found one (who is really good) that knows to use wide-tooth combs, etc mainly because we spoke about it during my initial consultation.

I agree with you ladies... As a licensed Cosmetologist and Esthetician, I was torn while in school by what we were told to tell the client to ensure repeat clientele and what I knew what was best for the clients hair. In the end, I chose what was best for the clients hair, this included suggesting clients who relax to stretch, refrain from glue-in weaves, protective treatments, trims only when needed, NOT every 6 weeks weeks like suggested, protien treatments, flat ironing techniques and other things of course... My clientele was happier with the integrity and condition that their hair was left in after I was finished but of course this upset some of my teachers. I referred a few "troubled heads" to this forum and by the time I graduated my teachers were singing praises... Of course I was able to do this because I was INFORMED, this stylist obviously was clueless.... This was my 2nd time through Cos school because I didn't go for my license right after the first time 8 years ago before I enlisted and that was before I found this forum so I may have made the same mistakes this stylist did had I continued on instead of enlisting on the Air Force... I'm sook happy I found this forum because when I finally decide to open my own shop, I have many techniques to take with me along with the "industry norm-type products and services". So for that, I'll have to say, "THANK YOU LADIES!!!!"

Carisa

I know! Can you imagine how wealthy we (LHCF members) would be if we opened salons.

This is something I think many ladies here should consider :yep: I am always surprised at how little stylist know 2 (although I know some of these type of stylist aren't legit and don't have licenses) And I have also heard the rumor that not relaxing on time (8 weeks) causes shedding- is this something taught in beauty school (If not then why is this rumor so common amongst stylist)

Almaz

Well WHERE are YOU so we can go. My stylist is in Ethiopia for like 3 months :lachen:

I agree with you ladies... As a licensed Cosmetologist and Esthetician, I was torn while in school by what we were told to tell the client to ensure repeat clientele and what I knew what was best for the clients hair. In the end, I chose what was best for the clients hair, this included suggesting clients who relax to stretch, refrain from glue-in weaves, protective treatments, trims only when needed, NOT every 6 weeks weeks like suggested, protien treatments, flat ironing techniques and other things of course... My clientele was happier with the integrity and condition that their hair was left in after I was finished but of course this upset some of my teachers. I referred a few "troubled heads" to this forum and by the time I graduated my teachers were singing praises... Of course I was able to do this because I was INFORMED, this stylist obviously was clueless.... This was my 2nd time through Cos school because I didn't go for my license right after the first time 8 years ago before I enlisted and that was before I found this forum so I may have made the same mistakes this stylist did had I continued on instead of enlisting on the Air Force... I'm sook happy I found this forum because when I finally decide to open my own shop, I have many techniques to take with me along with the "industry norm-type products and services". So for that, I'll have to say, "THANK YOU LADIES!!!!"

THicknLong

Im so with you on this... Because I am to crazy to sit in anyones chair. I have embarrased a few stylist few years back, for trying to do foolery to my hair.. Thats why I had to walk out on my friend. I have the tendency to speak up for other people and it doesn't come out nice.

Well WHERE are YOU so we can go. My stylist is in Ethiopia for like 3 months :lachen:

JOI

Girl I hear you, I am a cosmetologist also and our instructor told us it was ok it dye the hair and relax in the same week WTF!!! But we knew better lol.

Unfortunately, I live in Perry, NY but I commute to Rochester, NY. I don't know who calls this place home so I won't say I hate it here but I will say, it NOT for me.... I need a more progressive place, possibly NYC but my sons father is in Chicago and I dont want to be away from for years on end so idk. I LISTEN to my client and when they come in for a trim I ask them what their definition of a trim is and what I see the pressing need for their hair is at that time, I also utilize the word " dusting" , which for some reason a lot of stylist don't use, they go straight to trim which ends up being a cut. So when I say I'm going to dust, trim or cut someones hair, there is no surprise in why you will get when you get out of my chair... When I own my own salon I will make sure that the stylists I employ share my principles or are at least able to adhere to mine...

BostonMaria

Yeah this is the reason why I do my own hair.

OP, did your friend allow the stylist to cut her hair? Did she even notice that her hair was shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Sanity

Cosmetologist
I remember something similar happening to me. I went in to the shop to get a color and came out with my hair 2" shorter and dry. I quickly washed & Deep Conditioned my hair when I got back to my dorm.. Vowed to never go back.. that was 5 years ago!!

Girl I hear you, I am a cosmetologist also and our instructor told us it was ok it dye the hair and relax in the same week WTF!!! But we knew better lol.

Yeah I've seen the results of that...a "chemical haircut" smh. The instructor paraded her around school as an example of what NOT to do... He wasnt the instructor who told her it was okay to do it so he was like errrbody is getting a lesson today! Lol

I think another problem is that there is a surplus of Caucasion and other ethnicities who are teachers of the trade and have not necessarily had experience with our hair outside of the Cosmetology school textbook so they don't know how to shift fire or adjust to each individuals hair type.... I had an instructor debate with me on the fact that I can comb or brush ( detangle) my curly hair wet just because it said not to in our books... I told him as a matter of fact, if you come by my dry hair with a comb or brush then we will be fighting... It's MY hair and I know what works... there was a woman eulogy straight hair to her tailbone cho came in and wanted a wash and flat iron and when I did the consultation, she told me she had extremely curly hair so I knew I was going to wash it in sections and detangle in the sing with the conditioner on her hair and everyone was looking at me like I lost my mind, my instructor thought I was going to run out if time but I got it done PERFECTLY and he was so impressed and my client was as well, at the speed, the finished product and most of all the TECHNIQUE, needless to say that I got all the "ethnic walk-ins" after that but they knew to leave me alone about my techniques.... Lol

Last edited: