What I witnessed at the salon today!AWFUL WORK

I was at the salon for my mom getting her hair done and i was just sitting minding my business and out comes this gay man hairdresser in a skintight fatigue top and tatoos lol and he takes his client in the chair right by me, and the client was ready for a touch up so I immediately piped up to watch( I havent relaxed my hair in almost a year now!!) and I see him pour the activator into the cream, it was a white jar of no lye relaxer, i forget the name, anyhoo he leaves the activator in the cream without mixing it for a couple of mins, then returns and mixes and mixes and mixes lol with the comb(ive done that myself too),, then he sprays her hair with some kinf of Mizani styling spray for a moment,,,, then he starts giving her a touch up and I was CRINGING.. first of all he was definitely overlapping!, i mean i could see a TINY amount of wave right at this womans roots( maybe half an inch of new growth) and defintely not 2 inches of new growth( her gray hair was also only visible for a maybe a half inch), so hes applying and applying and hes combing to 2 inches!! I was HORRIFIED and then he was being sloppy and getting relaxer on HER ENDS!!! in a couple of places:eek::eek::eek:( i've made this boo boo myself also) and he kept combing and combing and combing and at her nape area he really went down most of the length of her hair YIKES, and then i saw him on one piece of hair comb thru to the end,, for no reason except hes careless!! then he proceeded to RUB in the relaxer!!!,, he massaged it into her hair(is that normal?:look:), i was just glad that i dont go to the salon for any treatments anymore. I'll never trust a beautician again....

Last edited:

Tee

Stories like these make it hard for some people to let just anyone in their hair. I am sure she was clueless to the damage he was doing. I just cringe.

Synthia

Wow. :eek:

:lol: I'm sorry some of that was hilarious.

Massaging in? A relaxer? :eek: And just doing whatever the hell suits his whim?

Sadly, this does not surprise me.

Did he see you scoping him in horror?

krissyprissy

If he went to beauty school then he knows he is causing damage. He just didnt care, besides its not his head right.:confused: No one will love your hair more than you.

Yes, he was RUBBING it in! LOL, now you're cracking me up, i knew that wasnt normal LOL.. LOL , no he didnt seem to notice i was there lol meanwhile i was sitting right behind him watching this train wreck...

Last edited:

asubeauty

What sort of idiot decides to do a scalp massage in the middle of a touch up? :eek:

I'm glad I found a good beautician...

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
That's not as bad as the stylist I went to when I was young and didn't know any better. When you came in for a re-touch she applied the relaxer to your whole head all the way to the ends.....everytime. She dosen't use a brush either, she uses her hands and slaps the perm in, lol. People rave about her perms where I live. No wonder there's so many tore up heads of hair walking around.

SUPER SWEET

I've seen the relaxer massage done more than once :perplexed . It is supposed to soothe the itching or uncomfortable burning :ohwell:

glamazon386

Yeah... I've seen people get their whole heads relaxed before. And once this lady was doing this little girls hair (her mom dropped her off and left) and the woman relaxed the childs hair went to rinse and then brought the child back to the chair and applied more relaxer on her WET hair. I was like :eek:. The sad part is, most people have no clue that the stylist is not doing it the right way. They just assume. That's why I started taking care of my own. If I do get it relaxed I go to my own hairdresser. I know she'll do it right.

so1913

Letitia said:
Stories like these make it hard for some people to let just anyone in their hair. I am sure she was clueless to the damage he was doing. I just cringe.

I heard that!!!

MizAvalon

bmoreflyygirl said:
Yeah... I've seen people get their whole heads relaxed before. And once this lady was doing this little girls hair (her mom dropped her off and left) and the woman relaxed the childs hair went to rinse and then brought the child back to the chair and applied more relaxer on her WET hair. I was like :eek:.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

so1913

bmoreflyygirl said:
This is OT, but I love your hair in your siggy pic so1913.

Awww, thanks bmoreflyygirl! I'm having a good puff day today after using my new shipment of Asha products :)

tenderheaded

The message is hard to spread - no one loves your hair like you do! First I had to be hacked to death, then left with "hot" spots, then chemically balded before I realized this:mad:

If only we could get more people to LHCF!!!

InJesusName

Something similar happened to me at a salon recently. Sista girl sprayed one of those mystery potions on my head, applied conditioner to my hair (nothing on my scalp) and proceeded to apply relaxer. I did two things from that point on...changed hair stylists and I always base myself prior to chemical services.

comike

It's funny that you mention this fiasco. I went to the salon last week. I haven't gone to have my hair done in a year. And, when I went then, it was only to get a trim. The reason being is that I feel I know more about caring for MY hair than most of the "professionals". My recent visit confirmed just that. First off--the shampoo girl did a great job shampooing my hair but when she proceeded to detangle my hair, rather than starting at the ends and moving upward towards the roots, she takes this big brush and starts detangling my hair from the roots. I cringed. Mistake number 1. But, I thought maybe she's new and doesn't know any better. I then sit down at the stylist's chair. The stylist noticed that the ends of my hair on one side were a bit frizzy. She proceeds to tell me that I needed a touch-up. My hair was just relaxed a few weeks earlier. She goes on to say that I need to make sure that I pull the relaxer through the entire length of my hair every now and then because...."my ends are virgin hair". EXCUSE ME....VIRGIN HAIR!! I didn't want to embarass her by correcting her but she clearly didn't know what she was talking about and sad to say she stated that she had been doing hair for over 12 years. Needless to say, I won't be seeing her again.

Last edited:

mango387

I have a question based on the responses to this post and my personal experiences. Is there anyone who gets a touchup where the relaxer is applied to the new growth first and then shortly before rinsing/neutralizing the relaxer, you or the beautician applies relaxer to the previously relaxed hair without significant damage?

glamazon386

mango387 said:
I have a question based on the responses to this post and my personal experiences. Is there anyone who gets a touchup where the relaxer is applied to the new growth first and then shortly before rinsing/neutralizing the relaxer, you or the beautician applies relaxer to the previously relaxed hair without significant damage?

Why would you need to apply relaxer to previous relaxed hair? Unless it was a corrective relaxer to fix some underprocessed areas, previously relaxed hair shouldn't be re-relaxed.

balisi

mango387 said:
Yes, if there is a corrective need, this can be done with care. I successfully did this once or twice when I used to self-relax.

mango387

Thanks, Bmoreflyygirl and Balisi. I was asking, because at the salon I went to in B'ham, the stylists used to apply relaxer on my hair to the ends for a few minutes before rinse out/neutralizing. To be quite honest, my hair still grew and looked nice according to other people's opinion (even those w/LHCF-type long,lush hair). Bmoreflyygirl, I never knew why they did it or if it was necessary. Now, since I do not think it was helping or hurting my hair and since I know better because of you ladies, stylists here only apply the creme to my new growth. I must admit that it doesn't look worse or better. Anyway, I wanted to know if others had experienced the same.

Mango's Disclaimer: Please do not apply relaxer to your previously relaxed hair. Just because I did not damage my hair does not mean that you won't.