What is the MOST OFTEN you can pressed YOUR hair w/o seeing damage?

zzirvingj

What is the MOST OFTEN you can press YOUR hair w/o seeing damage?

Once I get to midback I would like to start wearing my hair pressed more often. Right now I only get it pressed twice a year. Just to be able to switch up my style more often. I am sooo tired of my "fuzzy wuzzy" bun!!! :p :mad: :ohwell:

I'd like to know, how often have you have figured out you can press your hair without seeing damage?

Last edited:
I'm relaxed at the moment and I'm seriously considering growing out my relaxer - for the third time. I used to get my natural hair pressed every two weeks at the salon and it was long, thick and healthy. My hair never gets as long relaxed as it does when I press it. I think I keep going back to relaxers because I don't have to worry about my hair reverting when I'm out trying to be cute, but I think I've had my last relaxer.

I do remember growing out my relaxer the first time and pressing once a week, but my ends looked thin when I tried that.

Pocahontas(sp) does it twice a month and she has BEAUTIFUL hair. Now that the weather is getting less humid I will flat iron probaly once a month.

I've been transitioning since July and I have had my hair pressed twice since then. I think I will have it done every 6-8 weeks just to check on my progress.

There are so many variables, some people can press as often as they like and another person can press once and end up with damage. I used to press or apply heat to my hair 2-3 times a week and the only problem I had was my hair did not seem to be as thick, and I could not retain as much length as I could when I stopped heat. Rollersets are a great alternative to pressing.

Never....I think that every time you press your hair you are damaging some of the strands....

Its just a matter of how much damage you are willing to sustain... if you have been doing 2x a year without visibly adverse affects, I say double that and see if you notice thinning, raggedy ends, etc. Take it slow though...because heat damage can be irreversible

cincybrownsugar said:
There are so many variables, some people can press as often as they like and another person can press once and end up with damage. I used to press or apply heat to my hair 2-3 times a week and the only problem I had was my hair did not seem to be as thick, and I could not retain as much length as I could when I stopped heat. Rollersets are a great alternative to pressing.

I agree with this. I think less is best though......no more than 1-2 times per month.

cincybrownsugar said:

i agree, it also depends on how hot the comb is. now my hair got really straight people thought i had a perm. now my left side is really broken off and thin and my other hairdresser said that the comb was too hot and possibly burnt my hair. it's hard to say how much time passed between the time i pressed without damage and when i saw the damage. also i was getting my hair pressed regularly every two weeks before i decided to relax again. everytime i pressed i noticed split ends. maybe if you use a flat iron it won't be as bad. HTH

I get my hair pressed (with a hot comb) every three weeks. I haven't noticed any heat damage really. Any problems that I have with my hair is internal...lol...I'm probably not taking enough vitamins or drinking enough water..

now that I know what I know I will never press my hair again. Ive seen naturals do the roller set and flat iron gig and their hair was just as straght and most importantly not greasy with that "burn" smell...yuck. It seems like that route would be less damaging than the comb.

I straighten weekly - alternating between rollersets (flatironing roots only) or maxigliding. No blowdrying and I think that keeps away the dryness. I use Maxius products and it keeps my hair moisturized all week. I also use Constant Care for Ends at night and some HHB in the morning to smooth my edges.

Back