What is the proper way to Texlax?

PanamasOwn

Im curious about this (as well)

I have seen many ladies say that they prefer their hair to be texlax (getting the best of both worlds). How do you do this effectively?

Do you use a regualar relaxer and underprocess the hair purposely?

What are the most effective methods in doing this?

Do you care for your hair more as a natural or a relaxed head?

ladylibra

my sister is "transitioning" from relaxing to texlaxing (if you can call it transitioning). she is using Just For Me Texture Softener or whatever it's called. basically a weak relaxer.

i was going to bring this up in your other thread. i went natural and my sister thought about doing it too, but her hair is more tightly coiled (like my son's) and she didn't want to deal with her hair growing up and out and not possibly ever growing down. also she prefers wearing her hair straight, but wanted to sometimes wear it curly like i do. so i suggested texlaxing to her (she used to go bone-straight) she only has a few inches and is not interested in BCing, but so far it has made her happier. and her texlaxed hair is in much better shape than her straight relaxed ends now that she is listening to my product recs and styling techniques.

if you decide to go this route, i still wish you the best of luck. i want you to be happy with your hair. :yep:

PanamasOwn

my sister is "transitioning" from relaxing to texlaxing (if you can call it transitioning). she is using Just For Me Texture Softener or whatever it's called. basically a weak relaxer.

i was going to bring this up in your other thread. i went natural and my sister thought about doing it too, but her hair is more tightly coiled (like my son's) and she didn't want to deal with her hair growing up and out and not possibly ever growing down. also she prefers wearing her hair straight, but wanted to sometimes wear it curly like i do. so i suggested texlaxing to her (she used to go bone-straight) she only has a few inches and is not interested in BCing, but so far it has made her happier. and her texlaxed hair is in much better shape than her straight relaxed ends now that she is listening to my product recs and styling techniques.

if you decide to go this route, i still wish you the best of luck. i want you to be happy with your hair. :yep:

I appreciate that...Honeslty I really love wearing my hair straight too. And curling it here and there. So this may be a better option for me.

...so I can still wear my curly.... Hmmmm

How long did she leave it on her hair?

SignatureBeauty

I am texturized and I use a Regular Relaxer (Lye) , Right now it is more curlier because it is so short but in my Profile pic I have one of Tex-laxed, which I am gonna do when it grows out more. I usually leave mine in for like 15 minutes. Start with the most resistant area and DO NOT SMOOTH!

Now for my Touch ups, I ONLY USE AN APPLICATOR BOTTLE Because this helps me not to overlap on previous hair and it is less messy, but easier to get on the new growth, I have always done this, even before LHCF, I used the Applicator Bottle. Just like the ones you use to apply color to your hair.

I care for my hair either way, when it was natural it got great care & when relaxed it got great care because either way you have to take care of both. I have the same Routine: Cleanse,Condition,Leave-In & Moisturize, I also tie up at night!

Good Luck!!!!!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I am texturized and I use a Regular Relaxer (Lye) , Right now it is more curlier because it is so short but in my Profile pic I have one of Tex-laxed, which I am gonna do when it grows out more. I usually leave mine in for like 15 minutes. Start with the most resistant area and DO NOT SMOOTH!

Now for my Touch ups, I ONLY USE AN APPLICATOR BOTTLE Because this helps me not to overlap on previous hair and it is less messy, but easier to get on the new growth, I have always done this, even before LHCF, I used the Applicator Bottle. Just like the ones you use to apply color to your hair.

I care for my hair either way, when it was natural it got great care & when relaxed it got great care because either way you have to take care of both. I have the same Routine: Cleanse,Condition,Leave-In & Moisturize, I also tie up at night!

Good Luck!!!!!

The applicator bottle is a great idea! I also texlax and it would speed up the time it takes for me to apply the relaxer :yep:

ladylibra

i think she only does ten minutes or so? not long at all.

awesome idea... i'm passing this on to my sister!!! :yep:

Isis

There are several ways to texlax, it's all about finding a way that works best for your hair.

I did this quite by "accident" one day wihen I left the regular strength relaxer in for only ten minutes per section (I relax in sections to give myself more "time" :) ), instead of the recommended 25 minutes for coarse, thick hair. I smooth it on also after applying it to the new growth, all within the 10 minutes.
I really liked the results of my loosened natural texture and thickness. I decided to do it on purpose, with a timer.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

I am telling you, You can't go wrong with thst applicator bottle, just pour your relaxer in there and get to squeezing LOL!!!! It really helps me because my hair is so short and when I get newgrowth it shrinks down to my texturized hair so I have to be very careful. But my hair is growing quite lovely and it looks fuller, my edges are looking great & I can't wait to have my hair Big,Wild & Sexy!!!!!!!!!:yep: Hopefully by Summer I will have a Medium Wild Sexy Look!! LOL!!!

LadyUnderhill

:blush:Thanks Nappy Paradise for the applicator bottle solution. I think one of the problems I am having is overlapping. This helps me a great deal!!!