What made YOU decide to transition w/out a BC???

oooop2

I am very curious to hear your responses.

When I decided to go natural, I was wearing SL perm. I knew nothing about transitioning. All I knew was that I wanted my permed hair gone. So I went to a barber and told him to cut clear to my scalp.

SO for you, what were the benefits of transitioning? And since you will eventually cut off your permed hair, why wait? Or do some of you "NOT" cut off the permed hair.

Just curious...

TIA :)

lilsparkle825

i began transitioning when i really didn't care as much for my hair as i do now; i was just so involved in school that i would wrap it up at night, come home to get a dominican blowout every few weeks, and that was it. i knew i would stay natural when i saw how they got my hair without chemicals, and now that i am back where i was before the sew-in from hell ripped out half my hair i love this length and don't want to cut again.

so in a nutshell...wanting to stay SL.

Irresistible

I transitioned all the way to the very ends umpteen years ago before I knew transitioning had a name for it

for me it was all about not going through the shock, I mean it wasnt even a thought, and more styling options

which was really only braids and buns for years

but it worked

without the shock

oooop2

I transitioned all the way to the very ends umpteen years ago before I knew transitioning had a name for it

for me it was all about not going through the shock, I mean it wasnt even a thought, and more styling options

which was really only braids and buns for years

but it worked

without the shock

Hey..I was stalking your fotki earlier today. Gorgeous hair BTW...

Thanks ladies for the input. I was always curious why women didn't just cut it all off and start fresh. Now I know :)

Whimsy

My first transition I BCed so I was able to see myself with short hair for the first time in my life.

This time I will transition without a BC, probably maintaining my hair's length around APL with layers and trimming frequently until I'm 100% natural. I'm doing it this way because of my acting/modeling pursuits, knowing longer hair gives a more versatile and widely accepted look.
Also, I kinda feel like it's an adventure/challenge dealing with the two textures and I have a sense of accomplishment for handling them together well. lol

FindingMe

My first transition, I BC'd at 4.5 months. I had a TWA, which was cute, but as it started to grow out, it didn't look cute on me anymore. It didn't start looking good on my face until about a year after my BC, when my hair started to grow down instead of out.:ohwell:

I am trying to avoid that this time, plus I like my hair this length, it feels luxurious to me, so I am holding on to it for as long as possible. I do plan to chop after 18 months, though. Hopefully I can make it...

Also, I am hoping to use my relaxed ends as a protectant for my new natural growth. We'll see how long this lasts. I am committed to having (and definitely want) natural hair, but I hope I can make it without the BC.:spinning:

FindingMe

My first transition I BCed so I was able to see myself with short hair for the first time in my life.

This time I will transition without a BC, probably maintaining my hair's length around APL with layers and trimming frequently until I'm 100% natural. I'm doing it this way because of my acting/modeling pursuits, knowing longer hair gives a more versatile and widely accepted look.
Also, I kinda feel like it's an adventure/challenge dealing with the two textures and I have a sense of accomplishment for handling them together well. lol

Your hair is REALLY pretty!:yep:

prettypuff1

Last time i went natural. I transitioned for about a year... But my hair grows soooo sslllooowwwlllyyy so a year for me is about 6 months of growth for some ladies.

I really didnt care for the TWA look so that is what I am doing it now.

But the ng is getting a little tough so I am considering going back to braids/weaves for the remaining time...

SohoHair

I'm transitioning from a texlax and plan to transition as long as possible, prob over 24 months with small trims. I did BC at the very start of my hair journey from SL damaged hair to a nice healthy faux-hawk. The cut was SLAMMING for about 2 months then it started to grow out... :nono:. The grow out look was so horrid that I vowed never to cut my hair above my shoulders again.

I've since transitioned to texlaxed without a BC and am now transitioning to natural. My hair is very lightly texlaxed so I can get the textures to blend easily, and I'm at about collarbone length which I like. I am in no rush, and I'm having a great time watching my hair grow in length and in health.:grin:

Everything Zen

If and when I decide to transition, I want to preserve the length that I will have when I reach my hair goals. Right now I am an inch or so away from BSL with layers and being 5'11" it takes a heck of a lot longer to reach that length when you're tall. :spinning::spinning:

FindingMe

Thank you!!! do you twist your hair into those knots to dry it? if so, how does it come out? wavylike?

OT: ...ummm a hot mess:perplexed. I have tried it once dry and while slightly damp. Neither worked for me. I thought It would come out wavy (the middle does:yep:) but the ends have crimps in them (I guess where I had the pins? but I don't know any other way to make them stay put maybe bands? IDK) and are not smooth. So like the bottom 2 inches of my hair is crimpy and fuzzy and the middle is big smooth waves...not a good look...the knots themsleves actually looked cuter than the final hair style...:lachen:

CheLala13

My head is shaped too funny...I like my SL hair. I look cute with EL too so I just might BC at the end of this year.

audacity.

For me, I want LENGTH before Natural...

IMO, the natural will eventually come so it is my long-term goal. So when I have enough natural hair (NG) that I am satisfied with my length, off goes the rest of the relaxer... :wave: bye-bye

Nonie

I have just always admired and liked long hair and so the thought of BC-ing didn't come to mind. Besides, in the past, when I knew little about hair care, whenever I had damaged hair from over-processing, all I'd do is braid my "shrubs" and just let the processed hair break off on its own :look:. So going natural w/o a BC was the most natural thing. But the last time I went natural, it was just shortly after I'd "met" Brenda of BlackWomenRejoice.com (not IRL, just online) and Wanakee and had learned about regular trimming, so instead of just letting my hair break off as before, I trimmed a little when redoing the braids one at a time as needed, till I had no more relaxed hair.

vivEz daNs lamouR

I'm getting married next August God willing, and I don't want a short haircut. I know JUST the style I want to do, and I'm hoping that my new growth by that time will be manageable enough to blend with my relaxed hair.

Also, I have chubby cheeks and hated when I had a short hair cut, so I don't want to go back to that.

Ediese

My current length is the longest my hair has ever been. I've had about 1"-2" of hair before, and I refuse to go back to that. There is no way in H E double hockey sticks that I would BC any of this hair. :lachen: Whenever I get to BSL, I'll start trimming away the relaxed ends while maintaining that length.

d-rock

I transitioned at age 17. I didn't know what a BC was or that I was transitioning, I just knew I hated the condition and short length of my relaxed hair. So I wore my hair in braids for 6 years and now it all natural.

Soliel185

Being able to Bun helps alleviate the occasion mental breakdown when I get frustrated with my hair. It eases my SO into the idea - suddenly short and a different texture might be too much for him (and me!) all at once. Also, this way I can avoid the "inbetween" stage when your hair is too long for a TWA, but too short for some styles. Some ladies can carry that off, but I know I would just end up upset and in a hat. :nono:

I don't know how long I will transition yet. I'm probably going to braid all summer, and reassess in the fall, which would make me 8-9 months post. I am already excited to do WnG next summer though! :yep:

I want to see how long my hair can get before I snip the ends off. Also, I don't think I'd be able to pull the transition process off without being able to pull my hair up in a bun.

Platinum

This is my first transition back to natural so I'm a little nervous about having a BC. Just in case I change my mind and go back to relaxing, I wont have to deal with styling 3 inches of hair.:perplexed Also, I don't think I look good with very short hair.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I initially planned to transition without the BC. However, as soon as I grow my hair back to BSL, I'm cutting the relaxed ends off. I anticipate that will occur in September, but it very well could happen sooner.

I know most people don't understand why I would work so hard to grow my hair to BSL, just to turn around and cut it off most of it. However, it's a personal goal of mine that I want to see if I can attain.

Last edited:

cupcakes

short hair will not look right on me
and my SO and my mom would have a heart attack if i ever did the big snip to a twa

SouthernTease

For me, I want LENGTH before Natural...

IMO, the natural will eventually come so it is my long-term goal. So when I have enough natural hair (NG) that I am satisfied with my length, off goes the rest of the relaxer... :wave: bye-bye

Ditto... plus I'm 25 and I also envisioned long hair on my wedding...
and having long natural hair when I decide to get pregnant...
now I don't have any plans to do either anytime soon...
but I better start now if I want to get there... ya ya ya digg :grin:

loulou82

1. I don't want short hair.

2. My relaxed hair has minimal breakage (now) and no splits so I don't feel the need to cut it.

3. I want length more than being all natural.

4. The transition is going much smoother than it did in the beginning.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I didn’t BC because I didn’t want to chop all my length off just to rock a twa, the only time I ever had a twa was when I was in diapers so that wasn’t an option for me. I also wanted the option to wear my hair in more than one style during my transition, also I didn’t have any major issues dealing with the two different textures so I didn’t have a major need to chop. When bad hair days popped up I was able to tackle it by wearing a simple and easy style like a bun or a ponytail, that’s one thing that made my transition bearable and doable. Most of all, I wanted my natural hair to be long enough where I could wear it almost any way I choose, I didn’t want to be stuck with wearing one hairstyle 24/7. So all in all, I’m glad that I didn’t BC, I have no regrets. :D

CHEEKQUEEN

The first time I went back natural I did the BC. It was cute on me and my hair grew back very quickly. This time around I don't want to cut away all my hard work. I have been babying my hair and it is very healthy. I also like that I have more style options with the relaxed ends. I did cut my hair from BSL to SL recently and I have a transition chart as I continue. I will be transitioning for as long as possible. I will dust my ends as needed and once I hit BSL again I will frequently trim to get rid of the relaxed ends. I didn't know that it would be this easy to transition and not have breakage.

Elkaye

I have a very weird shaped head, so I feel as though I have to transition until I get enough hair to hide my dome. I do get tempted to BC because my relaxed ends aren't very think, especially since that last mishap. :wallbash: