Votes: 83 31.1%
  • Combinations (please explain)

Votes: 85 31.8%
  • Other

Votes: 52 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desarae

IMO, there is a difference between what causes hair to grow faster and what helps retention. IMO, conditioning and moisturizing hair doesn't cause the hair to grow faster, because hair grows from the scalp. However, retention is important if you want to see the fruits of your growth, which is why both really go hand in hand.

I don't think anything can help hair growth more than a healthy diet high in lean protein, frequent exercise, and ensuring the body is getting the essential minerals and vitamins through one healthy multi-vitamin. Diet and exercise are so important for optimal growth because exercise increases the internal temperature and stimulates the scalp, both of which encourage faster growth. Hair is made of protein and if the body does not have enough protein for the primary muscles of the body, the hair will suffer, as well. IMO, all the other growth aids (Megatek, OCT, biotin tablets) just expensively supplement what can be achieved for free with a healthy diet, a good multi-, and exercising four to five times a week.

I agree, and couple that with good retention methods and healthy hair practices and your hair will be up to it's full potential in no time!

MagnoliaBelle

I think it takes a lot of time, and during that time you can't get frustrated and do something detrimental to the hair. You have to be patient and treat hair well while you're waiting. This Board is great for ideas and guidance on taking care of the hair while you're waiting.

MsEllie

I think its a combination of how you care for your hair to retain it... hairs constantly growing....healthy eating, moisturizing and oiling the hair and treating it with tender loving care. I'm new to this but I've noticed since Feb 1, 2009 (the day I decided to treat my hair with TLC) its done a 360 degree turn around... before it was constantly breaking when ever I touched and thin as a rail. Feeling like a brillo pad... now its getting thicker, staying on my head and soft to touch...fells like a feathered pillow (really soft) if I touch it not coming out anymore... this is because of the constant washing, co washing, conditioning, moisturizing and sealing of the hair. Now I noticed I only use a comb when I wash... I read that on these boards and I was like "how the heck" can they look presentable to the public if they're not combing their hair. I was like I know that is not going to work for me so no need of even trying to apply that rule, then I started washing, wearing the buns and braid outs and my hair looks great! at least to me it does and my SO says it does so I'm set.. all my info I'm pulling to apply comes from this board and BHM... so I say moisture, oil, cowash (wash with shampoo) once in awhile for me... is going to keep the hair on my head so that I might see the growth I want.

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

A healthy lifestyle and healthy hair practices. I know I don't have the healthiest lifestyle right now but when I was healthier my hair was definitely looking Fantabulous. When the stress of this internship got to the pinnacle and I wasn't eating, sleeping, exercising or anything healthy my entire body and hair went into a nose dive. Luckily I found the hair boards at that time and was able to turn my hair around. I'm working on the healthy lifestyle but that is my summer project since my internship will be over. I found that all the things in the poll help for healthy hair practices including technique. All good things take time.

Kayanna1212

Well i use ORS Olive Oil and Carrot Oil
Almost every 3 nights and brushing and combing my hair for about 10 minutes to massage my scalp

prettyFine

i voted other. it's genes. i get long hair from both sides moms and pops. but seems like right now i'm getting the bad side from pops. its been shedding over the past few yrs. but it has grown at one point to 2.5 inches from wl.

Last edited:

locabouthair

The only thing I believe that will speed up growth is diet, massages, exercise, warmer climate.

To retain your growth minimize breakage by moisture, DC, etc..

BostonMaria

Horse hair stuff, deafprincess recipe's, and Vajayjay cream

In all seriousness, low manipulation, loving your hair more than your children, and LISTENING to your hair. Just because somebody's hair hates protein doesn't mean yours won't, not all hair is the same.

Ballerina_Bun

In all seriousness, low manipulation, loving your hair more than your children, and LISTENING to your hair. Just because somebody's hair hates protein doesn't mean yours won't, not all hair is the same.

What's deafprincess recipe? What's in it?

SimplyBlessed

I am def. learning that what works for one head will not work for the other...lol I'm a newbie and a PJ already and its because of that mindset that if it worked for them it will work for me...sooooo not true!! :nono:

BostonMaria

What's deafprincess recipe? What's in it?

First ingredient is a cup of Sulfur. Need I say more? LMAO :lachen:

DP, don't keel me.

I am def. learning that what works for one head will not work for the other...lol I'm a newbie and a PJ already and its because of that mindset that if it worked for them it will work for me...sooooo not true!!

I learned this the hard way too. I used to spend lots of money buying things that I would end up having to give away. Some people can finger comb. If I did that I'd lose fingers, possibly a hand. You live and learn and hopefully not lose too much money along the way.

Last edited:

SimplyBlessed

I learned this the hard way too. I used to spend lots of money buying things that I would end up having to give away. Some people can finger comb. If I did that I'd lose fingers, possibly a hand. You live and learn and hopefully not lose too much money along the way.

:rofl:Girl u are a trip!!

tnorenberg

Water, water, water inside and out. Regular co-washing and protecting ends=growth and retention. It's just that simple.:yep:

empressri

wash, deep condition, protect, don't touch it, leave it alone!

i don't really do length checks. you'd be surprised how much your hair grows when you stop obsessing over making it grow and just let it. i pressed it last christmas and last time was two weeks ago and i couldn't BELIEVE the length!

Smiley79

I agree. For me it is frequent washes, I NEED 2 DC a week, growth aids are so-so ( I haven't seen any miracles yet, lol). And moisture is a big plus to keep my stands on head. THose are the basics to setting a great foundation for my hair to grow healthy.

LaLaa

I voted for Growth Aid, Moisture, and other. I received great growth using MTG and Surge, Moisture helps my hair avoid getting dry which leads to breakage. Leaving my hair alone is the "other" thing my hair strives from.

mzperkins

IMO, there is a difference between what causes hair to grow faster and what helps retention. IMO, conditioning and moisturizing hair doesn't cause the hair to grow faster, because hair grows from the scalp. However, retention is important if you want to see the fruits of your growth, which is why both really go hand in hand.

I don't think anything can help hair growth more than a healthy diet high in lean protein, frequent exercise, and ensuring the body is getting the essential minerals and vitamins through one healthy multi-vitamin. Diet and exercise are so important for optimal growth because exercise increases the internal temperature and stimulates the scalp, both of which encourage faster growth. Hair is made of protein and if the body does not have enough protein for the primary muscles of the body, the hair will suffer, as well. IMO, all the other growth aids (Megatek, OCT, biotin tablets) just expensively supplement what can be achieved for free with a healthy diet, a good multi-, and exercising four to five times a week.

I so agree.....thank you

gitana0801

For me, moisture and some more moisture... My hair is at its best when I am co-washing it every day. I'm natural, so my hair can't get enough water.

saved06

Don't think about it..... soak hair in Castor oil, keep up with ends, take care of your inner body and she will do the rest, and don't think about it. Time is moving so fast anyway

Nyssa28

What's making my hair grow?

Chlorella, cowashing, and Megatek-ORS hair fertilizing serum-Dr. Miracle mixture.

SimplyBlessed

:grin: Wow this thread is going great ladies...A newbie feels welcomed lol...the crazy thing is i'm not seeing many growth aids and u would think that everybody would attribute growth to growth aids (if they are using them)....I'm personally starting to feel the are not neccessary unless u have some serious serious damage or thinning (like my edges)...idk still trying to figure it out...