what the heck is going on with my scalp??!

L.Brown1114

When i wear my hair natural my scalp itches and i have HORRIBLE dandruff. I just got a straight weave put in and my hair is straight bc most of it is out and the weave is thin so my scalp feel air. It doesnt get air when its in its natural state. My scalp with the weave in feels amazing!! No itching whatsoever! Could me being natural literally make my scalp unhealthy??

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
You must have really dense hair. Maybe your scalp just needs to breathe every once in a while. Do what's best for your scalp and your hair will thrive :yep:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
My scalp is the opposite.
It acts a damn fool with weaves or braids.
Max I can get out of those types of styles is 3-4wks.

Misseyl

You might need to do a hot oil treatment. My scalp itched too when I don't do a hot oil treatment. I usually use Olive/Coconut/Grapeseed oil on my scalp overnight and then shampoo. I think my itchy scalp is a byproduct of me using relaxers for years.:afro:

healthyhair2

When i wear my hair natural my scalp itches and i have HORRIBLE dandruff. I just got a straight weave put in and my hair is straight bc most of it is out and the weave is thin so my scalp feel air. It doesnt get air when its in its natural state. My scalp with the weave in feels amazing!! No itching whatsoever! Could me being natural literally make my scalp unhealthy??

OMG!!! I have this exact same problem. But mine is not quite dandruff. I get dry, crusty, scaly patches. I have to scratch them up with a comb. What is strange is that my scalp was completely clear, until my Gina Curl grew out past 2 inches. Then all hell broke loose :( . I've been through so many dry, itchy scalp shampoos it's not even funny. What does help though is using a scalp scrub, then shampooing with a good shampoo, conditioning my hair(keeping conditioner off the scalp) and oiling the damp scalp AFTER rinsing out the conditioner.

CodeRed

I had that both when I was relaxed and natural. It wasn't as bad as what you are describing, but I had flakes and toward the front of my head would scale a bit. It stopped when I started using my steamer weekly. I use conditioners that either have a lot of natural ingredients in them or I add oil (light oil) to help moisturize my scalp then I co-wash whatever I deep steamed with out to remove the excess oil. I also only shampoo about once or twice a month. I really think that steaming and less shampooing helped a lot... it stopped the scaling in front of my head in it's tracks and I never see flakes anymore.

Amarilles

Could it be the products you're using?

I have terribly dense hair, and while I do have scalp issues, I definitely had them when relaxed too. I just didn't know it, lol. I imagine the culprit is the heavier products used while your hair is curly. Humidity and the weather also affects my scalp situation.

healthyhair2

Could it be the products you're using?

I have terribly dense hair, and while I do have scalp issues, I definitely had them when relaxed too. I just didn't know it, lol. I imagine the culprit is the heavier products used while your hair is curly. Humidity and the weather also affects my scalp situation.

I wondered if it was the products I was using, but I never had the issue, while my hair was curly permed. That was when I used more products on a steady basis. My hair was lighter in weight though. As a natural, my hair is soooo dense!! Even the lady, who is now pressing my hair said, "This is the thickest hair I have EVER seen!" I am really hoping that having it pressed and flatter can help my scalp breathe and clear up. I shampoo my hair 3 times a month with a NO sulfate shampoo and no petroleum products go on my scalp. Yes, weather does affect scalp too! I find it interesting that when I had natural hair that was bra strap length and was living in NYC, no problem! Now that I'm down South, it's a BIG problem. For awhile, I was okay, but as my hair grew the problem escalated. Really, I'm trying to avoid the dermatologist and steroids....

L.Brown1114

OMG!!! I have this exact same problem. But mine is not quite dandruff. I get dry, crusty, scaly patches. I have to scratch them up with a comb. What is strange is that my scalp was completely clear, until my Gina Curl grew out past 2 inches. Then all hell broke loose :( . I've been through so many dry, itchy scalp shampoos it's not even funny. What does help though is using a scalp scrub, then shampooing with a good shampoo, conditioning my hair(keeping conditioner off the scalp) and oiling the damp scalp AFTER rinsing out the conditioner.

That was my problem. I think I have scalp psoriasis. I actually have a derm. Appt 2moro and I'm going to tell him to inject the steroids in my scalp. I'm over this dry scalp crap, it's getting old

ag00

OMG!!! I have this exact same problem. But mine is not quite dandruff. I get dry, crusty, scaly patches. I have to scratch them up with a comb. What is strange is that my scalp was completely clear, until my Gina Curl grew out past 2 inches. Then all hell broke loose :( .

You two could probably benefit from scalp exfoliation and a thick conditioning treatment like hair grease. What I do is exfoliate my scalp with a hard bristle brush and gentle move it in a circular motion around my hair when I shampoo it. Doing it that way completely removes all the build up and gunk. Then after conditioning, I apply the grease which ends up conditioning the scalp and hair and locks in the moisture. I have 4b hair and it stays moisturized for at least 2 to 3 days like that. I've had dandruff my whole life up until I started incorporating grease in my regime for the past 2 years. It has significantly decreased almost 70%. This could be what you need.

healthyhair2

That was my problem. I think I have scalp psoriasis. I actually have a derm. Appt 2moro and I'm going to tell him to inject the steroids in my scalp. I'm over this dry scalp crap, it's getting old

Ohhhh....ouch! See, I'm a chicken..bwack bwwaaack!!! I have to get rid of it naturally, my hair is so dry too. One of my girlfriends had the problem of the medication making her hair extremely dry. I need all the moisture I can get. I will keep conditioning and using a sulfur infused scalp oil. I will do a press at the salon 1 time a month as well.

healthyhair2

You two could probably benefit from scalp exfoliation and a thick conditioning treatment like hair grease. What I do is exfoliate my scalp with a hard bristle brush and gentle move it in a circular motion around my hair when I shampoo it. Doing it that way completely removes all the build up and gunk. Then after conditioning, I apply the grease which ends up conditioning the scalp and hair and locks in the moisture. I have 4b hair and it stays moisturized for at least 2 to 3 days like that. I've had dandruff my whole life up until I started incorporating grease in my regime for the past 2 years. It has significantly decreased almost 70%. This could be what you need.

When you say "grease", what do you mean? Or what do you use? Can I use my hair oils or shea butter?

ag00

When you say "grease", what do you mean? Or what do you use? Can I use my hair oils or shea butter?

I mean thick hair dresses/pomades like blue magic, ultra sheen, doo grow, softee, royal crown, etc. I've been using blue magic. I take a dime size amount, dilute it with water and apply to my hair and scalp. My hair has been thriving ever since.

I wouldn't recommend using those oils and shea butter if those products haven't worked for you thus far. Try something new like one of the products I mentioned above and see if it works better.

healthyhair2

Co signing the grease. Petroleum jelly is hypoallergenic. Shea butter is quite the opposite. I have eczema and Shea butter is the devil. It makes my hair soft and my scalp inflamed.

Yikes!!! I will try something else then. You know, come to think about it, the "grease" my hairdresser used on Friday made my scalp very happy!!! Thanks AG :)
I never had anything against petroleum jelly in the first place, I guess I got on the no-petroleum bandwagon and rode it. It hasn't really helped though.

PuddingPop

Try something new. It could help.
I agree. Grease is not bad. It may not work for some but the same can be said for any product or method. Many a head has thrived on some good old fashioned grease, especially if other things aren't working. It's definitely worth the try.
Grease is the only thing that gets my scalp back on track when it get ridiculous. Sulfur 8 is my fav.

bklynbornNbred

Head and Shoulders has a new line made for "our" hair. I'd try that before going to steroid shots.

Not sure what technique you are using but since your hair is so dense to make sure you are reaching the scalp divide your hair into four or six sections, put some shampoo in a color applicator bottle (get from beauty supply store) and in front of a mirror spray the base of each section with water then hit it with the shampoo. Massage and get into each section thoroughly then go rinse out (sink/shower not starting that debate again). Have someone help you to make sure it is all out. My cousin has very dense hair and as much as she would love to do her hair herself she just can't see her scalp. You can tell when she's been messing with it vs. letting someone else do it. Hard head.

Have to second suggestion for grease - it worked when I was a kid and had periods of dandruff. Not everything that was done in the past was bad. If its definitely psoriasis then maybe you are at the point of needing a shot but if its not don't let doctor take lazy way out when there are other alternative methods you can utilize to fix it.

L.Brown1114

I will try sulfer 8. In the past I got pure sulfer and mixed it in castor oil and it didn't do a thing. I'll buy the one you guys are talking about and update you. My hair HATES heavy products so I hope it doesn't weigh down the roots of my hair and make it limp

bklynbornNbred

I assumed you had tried over the counter remedies already. Sulfur 8 is good but it's thick and can be drying. Definitely get the applicator bottle and add a bit of water to make sure you are hitting your scalp. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing out. Keracare dandruff shampoo is also good with a little more slip than Sulfur 8 but it costs more. Either one use whatever moisturizing conditioner you have. I wouldn't advise using something new until you know what affect the shampoo is having.

Not to beat a dead horse Sulfur 8 has a light grease you can try. If you're not heavy handed it should not weigh down your hair. Good luck.

GGsKin

I assumed you had tried over the counter remedies already. Sulfur 8 is good but it's thick and can be drying. Definitely get the applicator bottle and add a bit of water to make sure you are hitting your scalp. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing out. Keracare dandruff shampoo is also good with a little more slip than Sulfur 8 but it costs more. Either one use whatever moisturizing conditioner you have. I wouldn't advise using something new until you know what affect the shampoo is having.

Not to beat a dead horse Sulfur 8 has a light grease you can try. If you're not heavy handed it should not weigh down your hair. Good luck.

I hated grease on my scalp, particularly when I was relaxed but that light Sulphur 8 did the trick for curing my dry scalp and not weighing down my hair (used sparingly)

ag00

I will try sulfer 8. In the past I got pure sulfer and mixed it in castor oil and it didn't do a thing. I'll buy the one you guys are talking about and update you. My hair HATES heavy products so I hope it doesn't weigh down the roots of my hair and make it limp

I always take a dime size amount of product and dilute it with water so it never weighs the hair down.

L.Brown1114

I was putting half ACV and half water and spraying it on my scalp and then put a cap over it for half an hour before shampooing, but I feel like since I rinse it out it can only help Sao much. It def. helps with my dry scalp but a few days later and it's back