WHAT TO DO ABOUT SHORT HAIR IN THE BACK?? CUT IT?

Wolftrap

I have come a long way since joining the board and my hair has grown significantly. However, now I am thinking of cutting it (maybe chin length) and starting all over. My hair is just touching my shoulderblade in the back when wet but underneath the back of my hair it is neck length. Like there is a long layer over a short layer in the back of my hair. The long hair covers the short hair underneath. But the problem is since it is two different lengths it makes the back look very thin. So should I cut all my hair to the shortest layer underneath and start all over? Or will this eventually catch up with the rest of my hair? Any suggestions? I really don't like the way this looks. I desperately need a trim and I'm afraid if I get one they will try to even out my hair this way. Then my whole head would be neck length. Any suggestions?

LondonDiva

I personally would NOT cut it. The back sometime has a habit of growing much much faster than other areas of the head. Maybe you could concentrate on surging or applying something to that area to help it catch up. I've grown out nappy little brken off kitchen areas to about 6 inches now. I don't intend to even everything up till I'm nearly waist length.

KinksnCurlz

I agree with LD. Don't cut it... try using surge 14 or maybe castor oil, rosemary and jojoba oil to stimulate the area on a nightly basis. It's funny b/c my hair is short there 2 (i cut it when i was a kid and it never caught up to the rest of my hair
) but it just never bothered me that much. I'll try to do a search b/c this topic was brought up before and the ladies had some excellent suggestions. I even think somebody said to not relax the area... let me try and find it for ya.

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
I have that same problem the middle of my hair grows fast and it is getting longer than the back, so it is causing my hair not to lay right. I don't want to cut it either.

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:
I personally would NOT cut it. The back sometime has a habit of growing much much faster than other areas of the head. Maybe you could concentrate on surging or applying something to that area to help it catch up. I've grown out nappy little brken off kitchen areas to about 6 inches now. I don't intend to even everything up till I'm nearly waist length.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what it is. Its the kitchen area. Its aobut 8 inches and my hair is 13 inches. It has never done this before. I am using surge on my whole head maybe I should stop for a while and just use it there.

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
I had that problem in law school, you got always put a track in that area to make in longer.....I'd hate to see you lose your length, your hair looks really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment. That made me happy because I'm sure everyone goes through this but I am at a "my hair is ugly" stage right now. I just don't like it. Even though people have been giving me compliments I just don't see it. I never thought about putting a track back there. My aunt does weaves. I think I am going to look into that and see how it looks. Thanks

Wolftrap

Thanks CH for bumping those threads for me. It looks like moisture may be a real big keyin growing the back out. I will see how it goes

Boadicea

DO NOT cut it!!

I'm going through the same thing right now. It used to be my hair's longest point, but last year, I shaved the nape hair completely and now it's almost shoulder length.

It will grow back, but of course it will take time. It will definitely catch up. Just give it a little extra attention and more moisture, and leave it alone.

Pepperanne2

aww man CH...you hoodwinked me...you told me to cut mine and that is what I did...

I just kidding...I love my new cut...so fresh so clean so thick so new. I was suffering from scraggly skanky ends and tried desperately to hold on to them. Then on Tuesday I had had enough of this mess and got a nice trim...yesterday I loved it so much..I got it cut shorter. I know now with what I learned here, it will come back much healthier and prettier and I can stop complaining about my thin crooked ends. If you do cut...start small and gradually increase as you feel comfortable.

I say...if it is a significant difference, cut it and watch it grow into exactly what you want

Wolftrap

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperanne2 said:
I just kidding...I love my new cut...so fresh so clean so thick so new. I was suffering from scraggly skanky ends and tried desperately to hold on to them. Then on Tuesday I had had enough of this mess and got a nice trim...yesterday I loved it so much..I got it cut shorter. I know now with what I learned here, it will come back much healthier and prettier and I can stop complaining about my thin crooked ends. If you do cut...start small and gradually increase as you feel comfortable.

I say...if it is a significant difference, cut it and watch it grow into exactly what you want

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my ends are scraggly but they are not split so I have been trying to hold on to them until it grows long enough and I feel comfortable cutting them. Or either I am trying to do little by little. I have dusted them a few times but I know they need to be cut. I'm just too afraid

lovelymissyoli

I have this same problem but it isn't due to my hair just not growing as fast but because my hair recently broke off back there and now I have see through ends. I'm going to be Surging and moisturizing my hairline & nape/back area to death, hopefully I will see some results!