What was your hair inspiration as a child?

aicramphoto

http://http://newlynatural.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/cicely.jpg

Showing my age: Cicely Tyson looked regal and royal in her cornrows and I felt OK wearing them to school and answering the seeming millions of questions my schoolmates asked me. Cicely looked like her features went with her hair, it looked real, like this was how we were supposed to be. I was a little disappointed to see later that she wears her hair (or weaves or wigs) straight. But that's the beauty of our hair: versatility.

My mother insisted that we did not get "perms" nor did we get our hair straightened often. I felt embarrassed and I thought I stood out. Then, Ebony/Jet/Essence magazines showcased natural hairstyles and I felt like it was alright.

Attachments

• Cicely 3.jpg
    Cicely 3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 15

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I remember wearing the towel around my head wishing I had white-girl hair :look::ohwell:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Then as I grew "older".. I wanted Lisa's hair from Saved by the Bell

Anakinsmomma

Pretty much everyone mentioned:

Aaliyah
Rudy Huxtable
Tatyana Ali
Tia and Tamara
Scary Spice

I have one to add: Left Eye. I loved her bangs!

My grandma had wave nouveau and I wanted to look just like her lol.

How could I forget about Jasmine and Ariel?! Can I add Rainbow Bright? She has some awesome puffs!

Last edited:

QBOE2001

OK so maybe i'm dating myself but I remember my uncle having pam grier posters everywhere in his house along with a black velvet portrait of angela davis and I remember feeling like a princess everytime my hair was out and down and he would say "watch out now....is that FOXY in da house!!!!!!!!!!" lol....man i'm getting old lol

GIJane

When I was a little girl I wanted Diana Ross hair. LOL... When I became a teenager it was Lisa Bonet's hair I coveted.

nerdography

When I was little I wanted Danielle Fishel's hair. She could put her hair in a ponytail on top of her head and it still reached the middle of her back. I was so mad when she cut her hair, I'm still mad :lol:

star78

When I was a little girl I wanted Diana Ross hair. LOL... When I became a teenager it was Lisa Bonet's hair I coveted.

It was Diana Ross for me too, lol. I didn't know back then that it wasn't her hair. Later, it was Vanity, Appolonia, and Aaliyah.

GIJane

It was Diana Ross for me too, lol. I didn't know back then that it wasn't her hair. Later, it was Vanity, Appolonia, and Aaliyah.

Who you telling. I was hurt when my mother told me her hair wasn't real. Messed my head up. :lachen:

Tiye

Nobody for me, I never really thought about my hair at all I had two future stylists for sisters and a mom who did a killa perm "no burns" so I always had a good length "past sl" and new styles. Oh the good ole days lol

My story is kind of like this. My mother and aunt did hair. If I told them I wanted a style I saw e.g., at school, or in a magazine they'd usually replicate it for me if they could. It didn't occur to me that you could want someone else's hair though.

greenandchic

As a child, I wanted hair like Diana Ross

Apollonia

Lark Voorhies

Tatyana Ali

Maia Campbell

Kellie Shanygne Williams

Taishan

so1913 said:
I'm not embarrassed to say that THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME and I think I watched it at least twice already this week... (yes I can receit the script line by line lol lol)

Me too! I remember loving it since the first time my mother had me watch it as a kid. We still sing that song "Dirty Boys". :lol: It seems so cheesy now, but I still love it.

As for my hair inspirations, besides Sailor Moon :look: , it was Lisa from Saved by the Bell, and Victoria Rowell.

Kurlee

Gaby's aka Mayteana Morales hair was :drool:

Attachments

• Gaby from GW.jpg
    Gaby from GW.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

prospurr4

Yeah, me too greenandchic. As a child, I loved Diana Ross' hair when she wore it as seen below.

A few years ago, I went to a wedding and was asked to be in some of the family photos. I was wearing a twistout, and the photographer said that my hair looked like Diana Ross. I was smiling from ear to ear. :grin: :lol:

Attachments

• DianaRoss.jpg
    DianaRoss.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 8

greenandchic

Yeah, me too greenandchic. As a child, I loved Diana Ross' hair when she wore it as seen below.

A few years ago, I went to a wedding and was asked to be in some of the family photos. I was wearing a twistout, and the photographer said that my hair looked like Diana Ross. I was smiling from ear to ear. :grin: :lol:

Of course as a child, I didn't know that was a weave. :lol:

My goal is for my hair to look like hers though...