What would you pay for this style?

naturalmanenyc

:grin:UPDATE: I had the style done today

I have been looking for a braider for a couple of days in NYC to do this style.

I have now learned that it's a combo of cornrows at the front, "silky dreads" for the transition & then twists that form the bun.

The front would be like this:

How much do you think it would cost including the braiding hair, wash & conditioning:

home braider?

at a salon?

I will post the prices that I have been given in NYC later.

ETA: After checking with several salons & home braiders, the prices range from $50 - $225 for this style.

The home braiders would come to me & I would wash/condition my own hair & supply the weave. Prices for home braiders are $50 - $70.

The salons will wash & condition my hair & some will supply the weave (synthetic). The salon prices are $85 - $225. I have an appointment for next week at one salon that I visited: $85 & the salon is supplying the synthetic weave. The style is to take 1.5 - 2 hours to complete.

I will post the results.:grin:

I had the style done today and paid $100 for this look. It took about 2.5 hours form start to finish (hair was pre washed & conditioned).

Loose cornrows/silkydreads/two strand twists

Styled

More photos here: http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/i-am-rocking-cornro/img-0004.html

ETA: This style lasted for 20 days before I took it down.
My camera was broken so these are cell phone shots.

Day 20 photos:

Attachments

• cornrows - front design.jpg
    cornrows - front design.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:

lcherilu

wow is it a florida thing cuz they would only charge 30-40 dollars where im from! 150? thats ridiculous for something that will mess up in about two weeks.

SEMO

I have no idea, but that style is absolutely beautiful and intricate. :yep: I love it!!
Ditto. That hairstyle is very cute. I'd pay someone to get that done. But I'm cheap (and used to doing my own hair for free), so I wouldn't pay too much. :look:

runwaydream

wow is it a florida thing cuz they would only charge 30-40 dollars where im from! 150? thats ridiculous for something that will mess up in about two weeks.

thats what i was thinking..but she DID say including hair and wash and condition.

personally i think she should wash/condition/detangle her own hair and buy her own weave but...thats just me ...

longhairlover

that style is hot, I had my hair cornrowed like that (the front part) in 03. hit up 125th street but I would wash and deep condition before having someone braid it that would cut costs. any place should be able to accomplish the first pics style. i'm thinking under 100 if you negotiate well and buy your own hair, maybe try to order the hair online to cut costs as well, (i'm cheap :)

but it shouldn't be that pricey, the back part is where it gets complicated with the twists.

the style is really really nice though. goodluck :)

TemiLnd

This is beautiful!! Here in the UK (well at my salon) it would cost about 50 pounds = $85/90. Love it.

tocktick

That looks very pretty. My mum gets these kinds of styles done a lot. Excluding hair, she pays about £30 for it (£35 including hair, since she just uses kanekalon). Since I'm in the U.K, that's probably not much help though (sorry!).

naturalmanenyc

So far the prices quotes have been $170 - $225 at Brooklyn salons which include wash, conditioning & synthetic hair. It's clear that they are charging by how long the style can last rather than the time & effort to actually complete the style.

The prices have been $50 - $60 for home braiders but I am not sure they can really do the style since one woman sent me photos of Kristen Lock's feed in cornrows.

Dommo

The African braiders in Harlem do styles like this all the time and are hot. They only charge about 50 to 60 dollars.

mzsophisticated26

African hair braiders in my area charge $100 and up and that's without hair because they have to feed in the hair. I have yet found a home braider than can do feed in cornrows. I wanted to get my 5yr old some feed in cornrows and they told me $80

anon123

No more than $100, and I'm talking about just the braiding, not anything else. Those cornrows are pretty big, it can't take all that long to do.

jerseyjill

www.oumousy.com - 116th street harlem
I use to go to her back in the day and honey she is the business - hair dos were from $40 - $100 or so. Good luck.

ceebee3

I never paid much for braids when I used to get them. I would wash and condition at home and head up to Harlem and let my one of the ladies hook me up after negotiating a price.

That style could range from $60-85, I wouldn't pay $100 for that. Salons always charge more.

Taina

The haitians do that in Dominican Republic for about RD$250.00, so it about 7 to 10 dolars- Obviously is a home braider, that's why is so cheap.

nikki2229

I think they would say $100 but since you are getting a wash and condition there, it may be even more.