What would your dream salon be like?

RabiaElaine

Wouldn't it be great if one of us LHCFers opened up a salon. Maybe someone here owns one, i'm not sure. Hair has always been a passion for me and after I found this board, long hair became a passion for me. I am strongly considering opening up a spa and salon as my own business. I don't want to work for someone else for my entire life. Anyway, I've decided that since this is my passion I should do it, especially if I am able to grow my hair as long as I want to with the knowledge I've gained from you wonderful ladies.

So anyway what would your dream salon, and hairdresser be like ( in terms of technique, products, and general service and attitude).

I appreciate your response to this thread.:)

Great question--
I'd expect prompt service, a nice, relaxing atmosphere, and stylists who not only listened to you, but were interested in hair health, your personal hair goals, and doing styles that flattered each person's face.

I'm going to say this again.
Coming to a town near you ( not really), but if your in the Hinesville area. My dads is opening up a shop with a partner.

divine said:
I'm going to say this again.
Coming to a town near you ( not really), but if your in the Hinesville area. My dads is opening up a shop with a partner.

That's great. Is he a stylist, an entreprenuear or both?

I would like a salon where a stylist listens to you. If they give advice on something they should be able to back it up if you question it. They would only trim when you wanted it unless they can show you that you need a trim.

Prompt service. Clean and quiet environment. Not too many people in the shop at one time. They would let you bring in your own products if they see you're making good choices for your hair. They would give good advice and discounts for referrals.

My dream would be a place where I wouldn't be told my hair is too nappy and will cost more money just for that reason. I also wouldn't have to wait all day just to begin getting my hair done (no overbooking).

My fantasy would be to be able to get my toes, nails and hair done all in the same chair at the same time!

CandiceC said:
That's great. Is he a stylist, an entreprenuear or both?

I would like a salon where a stylist listens to you. If they give advice on something they should be able to back it up if you question it. They would only trim when you wanted it unless they can show you that you need a trim.

Prompt service. Clean and quiet environment. Not too many people in the shop at one time. They would let you bring in your own products if they see you're making good choices for your hair. They would give good advice and discounts for referrals.

My dad works for corporate America, but this is a side business. My dad is a entreprenuear, but he won't be touching your hair. My dad job is to make sure people get good service.
That means: not waiting a whole hour to get your hair done or spending the whole day in the salon. Hair care and whatever else he was saying.

Hmmm...good question!

My dream salon is a salon that encourages all women to wear there hair natural, and know how to style and manage natural hair. (I've seen too many stylists pushing relaxers on women whether it’s very frequent relaxing or trying desperately to turn natural hair to relaxed because they can't deal with her hair)

A salon that uses natural products along with products that are considered to be excellent by LHCF members…and not because a salesman said so.

A salon that does what I do to my hair, but much better.

A salon that’s main goal is to keep hair healthy whether it’s relaxed or natural.

A salon that keeps up to date with new products and new techniques.

The stylists’ hair is beautiful also.

A far a stylists listening to the client...in my dream salon the stylists knows more than me about hair and he or she knows what their doing. And they keep growing and never stay stuck in the old. Of course they listen too, just to make sure that they are fulfilling the client wishes.

And they know the answers to me questions.

It's not only their way.

Must be a relaxing enviroment...and you can get facials and everything else dealing with beauty right there in the salon.

[size=+3]I know that there’s more, but this is all I can come up with right now![/size]

Last edited:
it is my goal to open a salon this year. after reading posts for almost five years, i think i know what people want, but the main thing is someone who will listen and help to achieve goals. i'm really excited about it!!

one thing i hate in a slon is loud, thumpin music...unfortunately most of the ones that i go to are filled with that stuff and i cant wait to get up out of that chair!

also, one thing i hate is when more than one person is working on my head at a time. You know? one person washes, then another person blowdrys then another person styles.....I just be wantin one person on my hair and not many people.

comfy chairs is a huge plus...nothing worse than sitting in a ragedy and uncomfy chair! :)

hmmmm.....a shop that is not all compact. i gota have space, you know? i dont wanna be all up on the person next to me who is getting her hair did too....a nice distance between stations is a must.

edit: oh, discounts for students and the elderly would be nice too. i am also for the promotion of natural hair, though not in an afro-centric (pardon the pun) "fight the power" kind of way :)

This is a reality for my girlfriend. She's gonna close in May and I'm so excited for her. I told her about the site and she visits often. I help her any way I can from products, tools you name it. I told her to make it mandatory that operators visit THIS site often. No exceptions. Listening is extremely important to us and we want what WE want. Not what some stylist wants.

Most of all it will cater to ALL hair types and that includes caucasian hair, naturals,relaxed heads and children's hair.

I am in love with this thread!!! I too have a long a love affair with hair. I just finished cosmetology school in December and I plan on opening a salon in a year. I would love to open a full service salon- for all ethnicitys. A salon that focuses on healthy hair not just styling hair. No long waits(overbooking). A female sanctuary. I would like a salon where all of the stylist are truly concerned with the healthy & well being of your hair.

Ladies...ladies...thank you for all the great ideas keep them coming.

I am also very excited that a lot of us want to open up a salon based upon the principles we learned here.

As for me I truly believe that beauty care and making someone feel good about themselves is my PASSION in life. I want my salon/spa-to-be to be a haven for women. I believe too many of us work too hard, and need to truly be pampered by well educated beauty experts with POSITIVE ATTITUDES. To often salons add more stress to women's lives than they remove.

My salon and day spa would offer the services of a full-service salon and a full service spa. When my clients enter I want them to remove all of the things that are waying them down and put on a plush and soft robe. I would also provide slippers of some sort (still working this out in my head) to all my clients, so that they feel completely comfortable while in my salon. The background music would be a combo of Neo-Soul, Jazz, and Smooth R&B, and it will be played at a comfortable volume. I also plan to have a set of I-Pods or something similar to offer to my clients that I will load with different types of music so that they can listen to whatever genre they choose if they prefer to completely block out the world. They would not be able to have that on when a relaxer or color is being applied because I want them to concentrate on what they are feeling.

The hairdressers at my salon would be certified cosmetologists ofcourse, but they would also have to service clients based upon the principles of this board. When a new client comes in they will get a private consultation in an office, that way a woman doesn't have to feel ashamed to express what her true hair goals are out of fear of someone elses judgement. The hairdresser has to make client feel comfortable in knowing that he/she is there to help the client achieve their goals. We will also take pictures of progress, because I believe it is really encouraging when a client is able to see how far they have come.

OVERBOOKING must be avoided at all costs.

Someone mentioned before that they hate to have several different hands in their head, I agree with that. Especially when it comes to styling the hair and relaxing the hair.

My salon will use Bone/seamless combs only!!! This might get expensive but I believe the difference in my customers hair will be worth it. Also everyone will have have be well versed in how to handle hair when its wet.

Naturals of all textures and lenghts will be well cared for in my salon. No one will ever be pressured to get a relaxer, it all goes back to the clients hair goals.

My stylists will be versed in stretching relaxers and encouraging clients to stretch their relaxers. Some might say you will lose money this way, but I believe that if you show your customer how to have the healthiest hair possible they will keep coming back to you, because they trust your intentions.

I hope to find the most comfortable chairs possible for the dryers, styling, and washing. I will have Nail care experts in the salon that can do your nails while you are under the dryer.

Deep conditioning under the hair dryer or with steam, will be mandatory for every client when they are in my salon. They will not be charged extra for this, unless there is a specific type of deep conditioning they want to do with a specific product that might be more expensive.

No Scissor Happy Stylists allowed. Once the ends are in good condition the hair will not be trimmed every six weeks unless the customer is maintaining a certain style. If length is their goal it will only be trimmed every couple of months.

Protective Styling will be encouraged and taught to my stylists and clients.

I will promote LHCF to all of my clients who want to grow their hair long and healthy.

I will refuse to perform a certain service that the client is insisting on, if I know that it will ultimately end in damaged hair. I'd rather lose money than be responsible for an unhealthy head of hair.

I'm sure there's tons more for me to say, but that's it for now.

Seems like everything's been touched on....

It would be nice to be offered cool drinks while were're under the hair dryer. I can spend an hour and a half under there easy with all my hair. This little girl can get dehydrated sometimes.

No more overbooking please! :wallbash: Stop the madness, already!

brownhaired_bonanza said:
It would be nice to be offered cool drinks while were're under the hair dryer. I can spend an hour and a half under there easy with all my hair. This little girl can get dehydrated sometimes.

Good idea!! I actually have gone to a nail place in manhattan where they offer you martinis/or sparkling cider depending on your preference while your nails dry, but only on Thursdays i think.

But cool drinks should definitely be offered when under the dryer, especially in the summer.

Mine would be:
clean
friendly
timely service
honest stylist
santized tools
offered services for all hair types and chemically treated hair
also have tools for healthy hair growth

My dominican stylist calls me "mommy." For some reason, it makes the salon feel really homey and intimate. So I guess any term of endearment would work for referring to clients.

Back