What's the difference in dryer?

MissJ

What\'s the difference in dryer?

I know that heat is bad for the hair, but I see so many people here saying that they sit under the dryer. So, is there a difference between a hand held dryer and the kind that you sit under?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Re: What\'s the difference in dryer?

Quite honestly, I don't think there is a difference if you hold the hand-held dryer several inches away from your hair while using it. Some people use the comb attachment and that makes the hand-held dryer worse for the hair.

daviine

Man....and that's the ONLY way I used to use the dryer /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.....I didn't know how to do it without a comb attachemnt and refused to learn or try!!! Yikes!!! Thanks goodness that's all over with!!

MissJ

Well, last month my mom sat me under the dryer, and it was hot as heck and touching part of my hair. It takes a long time for it to dry, so I guess there's no difference than doing that with the hand held dryer, right?

CurlyCrly

daviine,

I held a rubber brush in one hand and the dryer in the other. I used the brush to hold the end of my hair taut and from a distance, I run the hand-held dryer up and down the strands. I do that in sections. It works well for me and my hair isn't fried and split afterwards. I followed up with a curling iron. I only did this once per week, twice per week maximum. I didn't have problem ends and I wore my hair down every single day. When it gets a little longer, I'll probably wear it straight more often and do the same thing.

Missj, it takes a long time for my hair to dry under a hooded dryer too. When I used to go to some hairdressers (20+ years ago), I'd sit under one for an hour.

Edited to add: If I were comparing using a hand-held dryer the way that I described it to using a hooded dryer, I'd say that the hooded dryer is more damaging because the heat is on the hair much, much longer.

daviine

I've asked this question before but I'm not sure if I ever got my reply:

Does anyone actually use their hooded dryer on cool? If so, does it take longer?

CurlyCrly

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Boadicea said:
How about using the hooded dryer on the cold setting only?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never tried that. I think I'd be sitting under there for a long time if I did. I wonder how firm, smooth, and straight the curls would be with the cold setting. I think the heat assists with those things.

Are you going to try it? Let us know how long it takes to dry.

ThursdayGirl

I thought the dryers you sit under..distribute the heat of the hair more evenly than using a handheld ....so it causes less damage over all?

CurlyCrly

No idea. But the way that I view it is it would be heating up all of my hair for 45-60 minutes, compared to 10 seconds or less with a hand-held dryer.

azul11

i always thought it was better because the intensity of the heat wouldnt be that much since it is distributed to your entire head and not concentrated only on one spot. plus with your hair being rolled up there is sort of protection there from direct heat and your ends wont be as affected as if you use a hand held. just guessing though. God bless you all.

VALLEYGIRL

compared to 10 seconds or less with a hand-held dryer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? You can dry each section of your hair in under 10 seconds? Wow!!! I am jealous if that is indeed true!!!

Most ladies on here roller set as a safer option to the blow dryer. In fact most people will tell you that roller setting is better for the hair especially when you are trying to grow it long. Salons that specialize in long hair like George Michael Salon never blow dry but always roller set instead.

The reasoning is that the heat is not as intense as with a blow dryer and even though you are sitting under the heat for a longer period of time, there is no pulling, tugging and stretching of the hair with a brush or comb attachment...which contributes to the damage along with the heat. But instead a steady warm flow of heat.

Also unless you are blow drying your hair into a bone straight style (which will require even more heat) your hair will probably need additional heat for styling after using the blow dryer. With roller setting most ladies usually just wrap the hair (doobie) or finger comb and go.

Just my thinking on why roller setting is best....

CurlyCrly

If the hair is blown dry in the manner that I described, the heat is not concentrated in one spot and the ends receive indirect heat, if any. There is no pulling or stretching of the hair either.

Valleygirl, they are small sections.

The thing about using a hand-held dryer is that you'd have to either roll it up or use a curling iron to get curls if you want them.

Anyway, that is just my opinion and I realize that others will disagree. It works for me though.

Allandra

VALLEYGIRL said:
Seriously? You can dry each section of your hair in under 10 seconds? Wow!!! I am jealous if that is indeed true!!!

Most ladies on here roller set as a safer option to the blow dryer. In fact most people will tell you that roller setting is better for the hair especially when you are trying to grow it long. Salons that specialize in long hair like George Michael Salon never blow dry but always roller set instead.

The reasoning is that the heat is not as intense as with a blow dryer and even though you are sitting under the heat for a longer period of time, there is no pulling, tugging and stretching of the hair with a brush or comb attachment...which contributes to the damage along with the heat. But instead a steady warm flow of heat.

Also unless you are blow drying your hair into a bone straight style (which will require even more heat) your hair will probably need additional heat for styling after using the blow dryer. With roller setting most ladies usually just wrap the hair (doobie) or finger comb and go.

Just my thinking on why roller setting is best....

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Boadicea

I don't think that I would be the best candidate to determine how long it takes for my hair to dry under the cold setting. It's usually a third of the way dry by the time the stylist finishes the roller set. My hair dries so quickly.

I have been under the hooded dryer ont he cold setting before, but I don't remember the outcome of my hair. I just remember being very...very...cold.

Kiadodie

I remember I used to wash my hair and blow dry it with the hand held dryer while it was dripping wet..my hair was MAJORLY damaged within 6 months /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Then, I started to roll it and sit under the dryer and my hair became very healthy /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm not sure what the difference is... but for my hair, using the hand dryer is a no-no /images/graemlins/naughty.gif

adrienne0914

CurlyCrly said:
The thing about using a hand-held dryer is that you'd have to either roll it up or use a curling iron to get curls if you want them.

[/ QUOTE ]

to me, this is where the real problem lies. when blow drying, if you want curls, you have to use more heat to achieve them. with roller setting, even on a higher setting, once your hair is completely dry, no more heat is required. also consider that the ends are buried under the rest of the hair and getting less direct heat.

don't get me wrong. yall know i don't like roller setting my hair. but i have to admit that it is much safer than blow drying. /images/graemlins/smile.gif i suck at it though so i use the blow dryer and flat iron. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif my trade off is that i only do it once every 4-6 weeks or so.

adrienne

Integrity

i really love roller setting my hair wet and letting it airdry overnight. no heat at all and curls in the morning /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tracy

I think as well because the heat is not applied directly to the shaft of the hair (as is the case when comb attachments are used) that hooded dryers are better. I also think the heat being more evenly diffused over the whole head means less heat per square inch of hair than when you take a section and dry it with a handheld.

The heat from a hooded dryer, to me, seems to be safer and my hair has responded wonderfully to the transition I made several years ago from blowdrying and curling to rollersets.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karonica

So how often is hood drying decent for your hair? I'm thinking of purchasing a bonnet dryer this week. Are they any good either?

mirrormirror

daviine said:
I've asked this question before but I'm not sure if I ever got my reply:

Does anyone actually use their hooded dryer on cool? If so, does it take longer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont use my hooded dryer on cool because my rollerset comes out really frizzy. I always put it on high heat for smooth rollersets.

sweetcocoa

Karonica said:
So how often is hood drying decent for your hair? I'm thinking of purchasing a bonnet dryer this week. Are they any good either?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can only vouch for the older models(400 watts). They dry quicker for me than the newer ones. Also they are soft bonnets, cause I'm too lazy to sit up straight under a hard bonnet. When I get sleepy I take a nap or just relax and read(sometimes I turn on the TV with the 'caption' on). I also log on the internet while I'm drying to pass the time. I use it 1 to 2 times a week(it depends on my time and patience)... In the summer I mostly air dry.