What's the proper way to blow dry w/o breakage?

Miosy

What\'s the proper way to blow dry w/o breakage?

I'm planning to blow dry my hair straight but I experienced breakage in the past. I am air drying now so I will blow dry in the next couple hours. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Allandra

Re: What\'s the proper way to blow dry w/o breakage?

I have two suggestions:

1. a good heat protectant
2. let the hair dry some before blow drying (I would never blow dry wet hair - just hair that's a little on the damp side).

Brownie

you're probably already done blow drying your hair, but my advice would be to do one section at a time (and be patient). Section your hair off; don't try to tackle the whole head at once.

Chimma

Good question.

Do heat protectants actually work though?

My tips:
1. Use a serum that helps straighten hair so you need less heat for the same effect.
2. I read in Dominican salons that they blowdry by using a brush to pull the hair straight and taut, using the blowdryer to lock that straightness in (without running the brush through the hair) for most of the drying time, then at the very end they use the brush to brush the hair while blowdrying it.

NAY007

i'm with allandra,

use a good heat protectant. whenever i want to blow dry my hair i put it in a bun first so the front part of the hair can air dry straight. then after about one hour i take the bun down and blow dry. the best heat protectant to this day is still pink oil for me. i also like african pride heat protectant spray but my hair will frizz up using that. now i have more problems with frizz since i'm transitioning.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
i'm with allandra,

use a good heat protectant. whenever i want to blow dry my hair i put it in a bun first so the front part of the hair can air dry straight. then after about one hour i take the bun down and blow dry. the best heat protectant to this day is still pink oil for me. i also like african pride heat protectant spray but my hair will frizz up using that. now i have more problems with frizz since i'm transitioning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Nay007

Long time no see.

Miosy

I know this is late but "Thanks for the advice Ladies"
I let it air dry for about an 2 hours. I then sectioned and used a heat protectant but ya know, I suck at blow drying. I don't know what it is, maybe it's my technique. I started breaking some hairs again so I stopped and just flat ironed. I then got tired by the time I got to the kinks in the back area so I quit and put it back in a pony tail