Votes: 326 64.4%
  • My hair grows super slow

Votes: 74 14.6%
  • BOTH

Votes: 106 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amelia456

Retention is my problem. I live in a very cold area so my ends are always getting choppy. I have been keeping them moisturized lately and I am not using heat so hopefully i will be able to get past these problems soon

youwillrise

not sure i replied to this before

but...my problem is definitely retention
and mostly due to poor handling on my part

i'm trying to be more gentle
and also stay in protectives from now on

suburbanbushbabe

Retention for me. Especially noticeable since I have all this gray new growth and my hair isn't all that much longer. Except for layers which are growing out.

Nefertiti0906

Another retention voter here. My hair grows very fast but I always get split ends, the crazy ones that are split multiple places along the hair shaft :(

I'm forever cutting my hair once I reach APL or close to BSL (which is like everyother year) because of the split ends.

I agree with Shani Keys, we should have one specific thread with tips for retention.

darlingdiva

My problem is definitely retention. My fine hair is prone to splits, and I get more breakage than I like.

Growth hasn't been a problem for me since I stopped greasing my scalp and started exercising regularly.

luxe.li.

Retention, my hair grows, it grows and it grows, I just always seem to do stupid things that cost me my inches. Like a bad dye job, or a bad cut, but now that I'm natural and trying to grow as long as possible, hair cuts are not an option, dye jobs are not an option...I already lost about 1" in the beg of Jan, which would of made my growth of 1 3/4" new growth since Dec 13th almost two inches in two months? but no I lost that inch because I had to cut it off to save my ends....

Maksi

For me it's retention. If I slack up, let someone else press my hair, or get frequent trims my hair stays at the same length. I have vowed to avoid all three in 09 and see where it gets me.

Naphy

I think my hair grows at a normal rate, but my main issue is retention ! My hair dries out easily, so it requires an extra care...

CHECKMATE!

...I guess i would say retention if i had to choose between the two...since my hair gets dry quickly,but i'm on top of my moisture game so I have not had any problems as of late :look:

Chevelure618

Another retention voter here. My hair grows very fast but I always get split ends, the crazy ones that are split multiple places along the hair shaft :(

I'm forever cutting my hair once I reach APL or close to BSL (which is like everyother year) because of the split ends.

Exactly me. I grow fairly quickly, but when I get to near BSL the ends always look thin and I "trim" and that sets me back again. I want healthy BSL as primary goal then on to MBL. I've never been past APL in my life....I know I can do it if I find out what is the problem at beyond APL for me

Misseyl

I voted both because not everybody hair grows at the same rate and I've seen people on here that started out at one length this year and by the next they had next to bra strap.. Me, I've been on this journey for 5 years and I'm still not satisfied with my results. The other day I had to cut it to even it up because the sides were longer than the back. Now I don't know if because my hair was in a terrible state before my journey why my hair seems to take longer than anybody else but I'm hoping now that I'm the only one who's taking care of it, it will start to show some improvement. I know it's growing but where is it going because I definitely don't see it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to take some of this back because my sides were collarbone back in October before I started cutting it in October, November, December and January, yep, after every wash or something I would find something to cut, now I've hid the scissors to prevent any more cutting..

hillytmj

Before LHCF, my problem was retention. All of the techniques listed on this board have literally helped me retain and reach lengths that I've never reached before.

I L-O-V-E Long Hair Care Forum!

Digital Tempest

I'm pretty sure my problem is retention. I think my growth is pretty normal for the most part. I've had a lot of growth in the 1.5 years I've been natural, but I think I could've retained more.

msa

I have problems with retention...but now that I'm detangling frequently I think I'll be ok. My shed hair kept getting tangled up with my other hair and that was causing unnecessary knots. I'm trying not to be so lazy about detangling and do it every time I wet my hair, which is every day.

that_1_grrrl

I am sure I already answered this, but it is always good to reconsider things. I have problems with retention. My plan of action is to keep my hair hidden for a year. If I do so, I will know for sure if my hair is just slow growing or if I am having a problem with retention.

I am hoping that it is just retention.

JollyGal

My hair is growing and it's becoming super thick (I am not worthy oh wonderful megatek, garlic, workouts, clean scalp, moisturiser and vitamins) but I combed it through on wash day and nearly fainted at the hair in my shower....it could be all the hairs from my 1.5 month protective style of braids...humm.

I can't tell if it's getting longer...each time I take my braids out I'm almost crying because my hair looks long...but then I compare it to the last pics and see there isn't any difference.

CurlyMoo

Retention, I was always plagued by those little hairs in my sink and on my shoulders. They come back when it's time for a trim. Those little hairs add up and I start to notice a loss in length.

Nya33

Retention is my problem. I need to be ever so gentle with my ends as i seem to be getting a lot of knots now and detangling is getting harder for me.

Optimus_Prime

thus far, neither. then again I haven't been here that long (>1 year), so I can't say I'm frustrated with either one. MBL is kind of a vague length to me, so I'm really judging my growth & retention by how fast I can inch my way to waist length. I am 6 weeks post, and I plan to relax in 2 weeks time. I'll see then if I've been caring for my ends well enough.

deusa80

I think I'm ok in the growth department(though the front of my hair grows a lot slower than the back), but I defintely have an issue with retention.

Before joining the board I hardly ever moisturized and never sealed my hair...but now it's making a big difference to my hair.

KdsLady09

Retention seemed to be my main problem. I am a fast grower, however once I get to a certain length (SL to right past the shoulders), my ends start fraying. Thanks to LHCF, I am finding new ways to help retain with moisturizing and protective styling.

sharifeh

my hair grows soooo fast that if i retained it i wouldnt be asking for so much help
whenever i get a dramatic cut like chin length it grows to apl sooo fast in the blink of an eye
but i get stuck on apl
its too much hair for me to manage
so much breakage
my hair sheds and breaks everywhere
im like a freaking cat once i reach apl
i cant get past this threshold
ill try moisturizing and dcing more often
ill also try light protein once a week to stop the breakage
ill be at nine weeks post on friday
so ill relax soon and see what happens
i doubt i retained anything
actually i wouldnt be surprised if my retention was negative
haha
(sigh)

njerannce

my hair grows soooo fast that if i retained it i wouldnt be asking for so much help
whenever i get a dramatic cut like chin length it grows to apl sooo fast in the blink of an eye
but i get stuck on apl
its too much hair for me to manage
so much breakage
my hair sheds and breaks everywhere
im like a freaking cat once i reach apl
i cant get past this threshold
ill try moisturizing and dcing more often
ill also try light protein once a week to stop the breakage
ill be at nine weeks post on friday
so ill relax soon and see what happens
i doubt i retained anything
actually i wouldnt be surprised if my retention was negative
haha
(sigh)

I'm not even sure at this point

yea what these two ladies said!! im seriously thinking of going back to braids for a while. they are cute, means less manipulation, protective style. this therfore should result in better retention and i always had better grown when i was in braids.

Kellum

My hair grows normal. My problem was retention but now since I have finally figured out what my hair wants and needs I don't have a problem any more.

pringe

retention. i know my hair is growing because its colored and i see my color growing out after 2 weeks. i think that detangling hurts my growth cause u dont' see it . also idk what else im not doing. I do style my hair every week and wash. maybe i need to shoot for changing a style every 2 weeks instead. idk