What's wrong with my hair?!! Stylists keep saying that it reverts!!

ellebelle88

Hi guys,

Maybe someone out there can give me a reasonable explanation and ease my fears. But I recently just had a relaxer after a 4 month stretch. After the stylists put on the relaxer and washed it out, she asked me what kind of relaxers do I normally get because my hair had "reverted." I told her I don't know the brands but that I never get box relaxers, all of my relaxers are done by professional stylists. She was just like, "Oh...." Then she said, "Well, that might just be your natural texture." I hope she wasn't trying to call my hair nappy!! :perplexed

But she is the second stylist to mention this!! When I asked her if the relaxer took, she said yes. I'm not sure what revert means but most of my roots are straight, although my nape area isn't bone straight like how I want it. She left the relaxer on for an adequate amount of time and really pulled it through but I don't know why some areas of my hair isn't as silky straight as I want it, specifically my nape.

Does anyone know why my hair "reverts" back when I get a relaxer? I only get 3 relaxers a year. Please help me. I'm scared my hair is all messed up from relaxers and I might have to cut it all off.

ellebelle88

Gymfreak, I have NO idea. I thought that all professional stylists used professional relaxers that worked for all hair types. However, I live in a small town, so "professional" doesn't neccessarily translate to "top of the line." If my hair is underprocessed, is there any treatment that I can get to get my hair on one accord? Also, is there a specific brand/kind of relaxer you would suggest I use?

It is breaking off badly and I have realized that it's due to my hair not being relaxed in certain areas because a lot of stylists don't realize that I go so far in between touch ups. As a result, they don't relax all of my new growth.

hairmaster

You need to start using the same hairdresser for your relaxers...
AND ASK WHAT THEIR USING (LYE OR NO-LYE)
Why did you join this forum? I hope to learn, start a journal record the relaxers date and kinds used.

envybeauty

gym is right...you are underprocessed. relaxed hair does not revert.

that said, a serious protein treatment (aphogee, affirm 5 in 1, nexxus emergencie) before your next wash. wash with a moisturizing poo (i love keracare hydrating poo, others like CON), then follow with a moisturizing conditioner (i like silicon mix, others...well..).

find out the name and strength of the relaxers that they are using. always find out with each relaxer. maybe the relaxer is too strong for your hair leading to breakage. maybe they always apply the relaxer to the same spot every time you relax without starting at a different spot. maybe she did not neutralize long enough.

do you also see breakage before you relax? if so, maybe you shouldn't stretch that long. maybe the breakage is why they won't relax the back -damaged hair should not be permed until the hair is stronger.

also how is she styling after the relaxer? does she rollerset, blowdry, etc. maybe she is not getting that section straight enough during the styling process.

lastly, consider that your nape may very well just be a different texture. i have two different textures where my nape is very coarse and is never going to feel like my crown hairs.

AshCash

When you say pull it through do you mean just through the roots or through the previously relaxed parts too? If its the latter that might be why your hair is breaking. A lot of "professional" stylists don't practice healthy hair techniques. Sorry this is happening to you. But keep reading. LHCF is a great resource! :)

glamazon386

Gymfreak, I have NO idea. I thought that all professional stylists used professional relaxers that worked for all hair types. However, I live in a small town, so "professional" doesn't neccessarily translate to "top of the line." If my hair is underprocessed, is there any treatment that I can get to get my hair on one accord? Also, is there a specific brand/kind of relaxer you would suggest I use?

It is breaking off badly and I have realized that it's due to my hair not being relaxed in certain areas because a lot of stylists don't realize that I go so far in between touch ups. As a result, they don't relax all of my new growth.

I would agree that they probably are not relaxing all of your new growth. To the bolded - You can get a corrective relaxer where they run the relaxer through the previously relaxed hair to smooth the underprocessed parts out. But if you say your hair is breaking off, I don't think that's a good idea. It might make it worse. I would suggest you do a protein reconstructor for now to see if you can get the breakage to stop.

As far as your nape goes, contrary to popular belief (ie that the kitchen is the nappiest part of the hair) most black people have a looser texture back there (mine is very straight and fine like baby hair. More like 3b texture. The rest of my head is nappy.). If you are using the same strength relaxer on hair that is a looser texture than the rest of your head, it's going to get overprocessed faster than the rest of your head. A lot of people start relaxing at the nape so the relaxer is on that part longer. It's common for it to be dry, brittle and break off because it's overprocessed. Also, a lot of people's nape is short because of friction from other things.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

You need to start using the same hairdresser for your relaxers...
AND ASK WHAT THEIR USING (LYE OR NO-LYE)
Why did you join this forum? I hope to learn, start a journal record the relaxers date and kinds used.

Yes, I joined to learn about how to care for my hair. & I have been doing a good job at getting it to grow and taking care of it. However, the same stylist wacked all of last year's growth off today without me even telling her that I wanted a so-call trim. I didn't have the audacity to speak up. But that's a whole nother discussion for another time.

But I digress, I'm in college and my hairdresser is 2 hours away which is the only reason why I had to go to someone different. The point is, sometimes know matter how much I care for my own hair when I put it in the hands of others, they mess it up. That is why I posted this topic so that I can find out what's wrong and hopefully never meet the same fate again. I really wish I can find a good hairdresser who really knows how to care for hair, but I have realized that just because everyone is a licensed stylist doesn't mean they are good at caring for hair. I'm never going back to that one. But thank you. You better believe that the next relaxer I get, I will inquire about it. That is...if I get another one.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I see that you stretch your relaxers its a good thing. But you need to become more aware of what others are doing to YOUR hair. I know a lot of the times we tend to go to stylist with the they know what they are doing they are the professionals but sadly its not true and we the clients suffer for it. Start doing your own research. Ask questions when it comes to what the stylist is doing, what products they are applying. Measure you new growth. Even better buy your own products.

The question of breakage are you moisturizing properly with a water based moisturizer and sealing the moisture in with an oil (ie Jojoba, castor or coconut)? Do You Deep condition on a regular basis? Meaning every time you wash? The only way to correct the UNDERPROCESSED hair is to do a corrective. However you need to baby your hair first. Relaxed hair does not revert its just underprocessed. Good luck. I encourage you to look at info provided by Sistaslick or Macherieamour.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Yes, I joined to learn about how to care for my hair. & I have been doing a good job at getting it to grow and taking care of it. However, the same stylist wacked all of last year's growth off today without me even telling her that I wanted a so-call trim. I didn't have the audacity to speak up. But that's a whole nother discussion for another time.

But I digress, I'm in college and my hairdresser is 2 hours away which is the only reason why I had to go to someone different. The point is, sometimes know matter how much I care for my own hair when I put it in the hands of others, they mess it up. That is why I posted this topic so that I can find out what's wrong and hopefully never meet the same fate again. I really wish I can find a good hairdresser who really knows how to care for hair, but I have realized that just because everyone is a licensed stylist doesn't mean they are good at caring for hair. I'm never going back to that one.

The best thing is to learn to do your hair yourself. YOU ARE YOUR BEST HAIRDRESSER.

ellebelle88

that said, a serious protein treatment (aphogee, affirm 5 in 1, nexxus emergencie) before your next wash. wash with a moisturizing poo (i love keracare hydrating poo, others like CON), then follow with a moisturizing conditioner (i like silicon mix, others...well..).

find out the name and strength of the relaxers that they are using. always find out with each relaxer. maybe the relaxer is too strong for your hair leading to breakage. maybe they always apply the relaxer to the same spot every time you relax without starting at a different spot. maybe she did not neutralize long enough.

do you also see breakage before you relax? if so, maybe you shouldn't stretch that long. maybe the breakage is why they won't relax the back -damaged hair should not be permed until the hair is stronger.

also how is she styling after the relaxer? does she rollerset, blowdry, etc. maybe she is not getting that section straight enough during the styling process.

lastly, consider that your nape may very well just be a different texture. i have two different textures where my nape is very coarse and is never going to feel like my crown hairs.

I am going to do a protein treatment, but I was reading up on a thread the other day that said a deep protein treatment after a relaxer, definitely causes it to revert. You can read up on it here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=13648&page=3

From now on, I will definitely be inquiring about the relaxers and their strength. I'm so scared, I really don't know what to do. I want to stop with relaxers all together, but I have tried, and transitioning has been so hard for me because of detangling and breakage. I'm also not bold enough to cut it all off.

ellebelle88

I see that you stretch your relaxers its a good thing. But you need to become more aware of what others are doing to YOUR hair. I know a lot of the times we tend to go to stylist with the they know what they are doing they are the professionals but sadly its not true and we the clients suffer for it. Start doing your own research. Ask questions when it comes to what the stylist is doing, what products they are applying. Measure you new growth. Even better buy your own products.

The question of breakage are you moisturizing properly with a water based moisturizer and sealing the moisture in with an oil (ie Jojoba, castor or coconut)? Do You Deep condition on a regular basis? Meaning every time you wash? The only way to correct the UNDERPROCESSED hair is to do a corrective. However you need to baby your hair first. Relaxed hair does not revert its just underprocessed. Good luck. I encourage you to look at info provided by Sistaslick or Macherieamour.

Yes, I do stretch my relaxers. I guess I really do need to read up on relaxers and see what strength and type is best for my hair. I do all of the other things (deep conditioning every wash, oiling, moisturizing, little heat, etc.). I'm always on macherieamour's blog and fotki. So much so, that I'm her own personal stalker....but I always wanted to leave the relaxer stuff up to hairstylists because I'm not adept with chemicals and I can see myself doing something wrong and ending up baldheaded. But at the rate I'm going, it might not be a bad thing. I may need to cut off my relaxer hair anyway.

But you all are right. I need to learn everything about how to care for my hair because if I don't, there's not guarantee that anyone else will. I really appreciate the information! You guys have calmed my fears.

&glamazon386, I'm kinda scared of a corrective also. A relaxer on top of a relaxer just sounds like I'm asking for more breakage. I'm gonna try the protein treatment and see how that goes.

sprungonhairboards

I would agree that they probably are not relaxing all of your new growth. To the bolded - You can get a corrective relaxer where they run the relaxer through the previously relaxed hair to smooth the underprocessed parts out. But if you say your hair is breaking off, I don't think that's a good idea. It might make it worse. I would suggest you do a protein reconstructor for now to see if you can get the breakage to stop.

As far as your nape goes, contrary to popular belief (ie that the kitchen is the nappiest part of the hair) most black people have a looser texture back there (mine is very straight and fine like baby hair. More like 3b texture. The rest of my head is nappy.). If you are using the same strength relaxer on hair that is a looser texture than the rest of your head, it's going to get overprocessed faster than the rest of your head. A lot of people start relaxing at the nape so the relaxer is on that part longer. It's common for it to be dry, brittle and break off because it's overprocessed. Also, a lot of people's nape is short because of friction from other things.

When I went natural I was SHOCKED to find the back of my head was soft loose spiral curls. The nape and on the sides in back is the silkiest softest part of my head. I always thought it was the worst.

glamazon386

When I went natural I was SHOCKED to find the back of my head was soft loose spiral curls. The nape and on the sides in back is the silkiest softest part of my head. I always thought it was the worst.

I think most black people think that. You know we all complain about that kitchen. I forgot where I read it though. I think it was in a natural hair book. Probably textured tresses. But they showed a picture of the back of a naturals head and you could clearly see it. That would make sense as to why most people who are relaxed have short hair in the nape when compared to the rest of the hair. It's probably overprocessed.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I do believe that relaxers revert, but I agree with the ladies who are guessing that your hair is just being underprocessed. With 4 months of new growth, they can't apply the relaxer the same way they would their 4-6 weeks clients. (which they are probably so used to that that is what they're doing to you)

Tee

You have great advice here. Keep a hair dairy and make sure you ask questions. Don't be shy about asking question about YOUR hair. After all, it is yours. ;) I wish you the best. :kiss:

Last edited:

PureSilver

I CAN SERIOUSLY RELATE TO THIS THREAD, MY LAST RELAXER WAS ON SEPT 25, I HAD SO MUCH NEW GROWTH FROM STRETCHING THAT WHEN MY VISIT ENDED I HAD SO MUCH KINKY HAIR ALL OVER. That was how i know what a texlaxed hair looks like. I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS BECAUSE I DIDN'T CLARIFY BEFORE GETTING IT RELAXED. YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PICS IN MY FOTKI HOW UNDERPROCESSED MY HAIR WAS.

I agree with the great advice you got from earlier responses, i had to do a protein treatment, since then i haven't had another relaxer. I've been stretching my hair and now today i'm @ 15wks. I really do hope this time i won't leave the salon underprocessed, dissatisfied and miserable.

ellebelle88

Thanks Letitia for your inspiration! & Sunshinebaby, I'm sending you a message because I really wanna know how you handled the situation.

lsubabiedee

I do believe that relaxers revert, but I agree with the ladies who are guessing that your hair is just being underprocessed. With 4 months of new growth, they can't apply the relaxer the same way they would their 4-6 weeks clients. (which they are probably so used to that that is what they're doing to you)

i believe they do too. mine always did. no matter the relaxer, lye/no-lye, or time left on.

Jetblackhair

I think most black people think that. You know we all complain about that kitchen. I forgot where I read it though. I think it was in a natural hair book. Probably textured tresses. But they showed a picture of the back of a naturals head and you could clearly see it. That would make sense as to why most people who are relaxed have short hair in the nape when compared to the rest of the hair. It's probably overprocessed.

This was my experience when I had a relaxer. The hair was short in the nape area due to overprocessing. Once I went natural, as my hair grew, I found that my hair was very soft in this area. This is now the longest part of my hair.

Ljbee, even though you plan on moving on from this stylist, you still need to contact her to find out what type of relaxer she used, whether it was lye or no-lye and the strength. To move on with your haircare you must know the answers to these questions.

I'm sure you will become a great DIYer once you gather all of the information you need.

almondjoi85

I never knew that the softest part was the nape area... mine is terrible...its super duper nappy! maybe it is because of overprocessing. How should I go about fixing this?

gymfreak336

I never knew that the softest part was the nape area... mine is terrible...its super duper nappy! maybe it is because of overprocessing. How should I go about fixing this?

Maybe try relaxing that area last. I read once in a thread here before that the way the shampoo bowls are designed, its hard to throughly rinse the nape area when rinsing out relaxer.