What's Wrong With the Club?

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I've noticed that a lot Christians frown on "clubbing." I guess I am wondering what the reason for this is. I've never been much of a club goer, (I can't dance but I love trying) but I don't see what the big deal is. When I was on my "babymoon" with dh in South Beach we walked past a club that was playing a slow song. Dh pulled me in there (5 month preggers belly and all) and we danced a few songs. It was so much fun.

I don't see what's so wrong with going to a club. Someone explain it to me.

Princess4real

I like the club too, but I think for some, they couldn't control themselves and feel that because they didn't know how to act like a lady that you don't know how either. :yep: I get so tired of hearing how their not in that life anymore as if I have a problem because I enjoy listening to music and laughing at the funny things that people do in there. They judge you by the things that they did in the club and assume that it's evil and you must be down with everything that happens in there. Anyhoo, this has been my experience with the christians who JUDGE.:grin:

firecracker

All that boozing, sexing on the dance floor, possible one night stands and other sheninigans isn't good for some folks soul and its counterproductive to their walk. Kinda like my fornicating and cursing:nono: :yep:

firecracker

I like the club too, but I think for some, they couldn't control themselves and feel that because they didn't know how to act like a lady that you don't know how either. :yep: I get so tired of hearing how their not in that life anymore as if I have a problem because I enjoy listening to music and laughing at the funny things that people do in there. They judge you by the things that they did in the club and assume that it's evil and you must be down with everything that happens in there. Anyhoo, this has been my experience with the christians who JUDGE.:grin:
See now your reading way more into it.:lachen: Folk can't make you feel guilty about anything unless you allow them too and or possibly guilty of such uh such. Not all people that say I'm no longer in that scene were uncontrollable. Some folks simply grown out or loss interest of/in certain things. Girl get your boogey on if it makes you happy. We won't dare say what makes God happy. Remember this is out of the mouth of a on again off again fornicator etc so take it with a grain of salt. I bet I ain't gon burn with lust too much longer!

Mamita

Back to basics
i used to not understand either, if I'm not doing anything wrong why can't I?

well dancing in front of men is like showing a bait right in front of them, u're not supposed as a follower of Christ to excite or arouse men EVEN from afar, 2nd if the Lord Jesus was to come back one night at 1am would u like for Him to find u there? with that crowd? is that setting an exemple?

i'm not knocking u but if u feel comfortable with your answers to that, then good for u. :yep:

Princess4real

See now your reading way more into it.:lachen: Folk can't make you feel guilty about anything unless you allow them too and or possibly guilty of such uh such. Not all people that say I'm no longer in that scene were uncontrollable. Some folks simply grown out or loss interest of/in certain things. Girl get your boogey on if it makes you happy. We won't dare say what makes God happy. Remember this is out of the mouth of a on again off again fornicator etc so take it with a grain of salt. I bet I ain't gon burn with lust too much longer!

This woman I know is supposed to be a christian, but she is the most miserable, meanest person I know. :yep: I try to stay away from her, because she always have something to say and knowing myself I would end up hurting her feelings. When someone mentions going to have drinks after work she calls us names and acts like God told her we were ladies of the night for wanting to go into the lions den. :yep: I've met so many women like her and that's why I responded the way I did. Their reply should be, I don't go to club and keep it moving, but nooooo they want to make you feel bad. :yep: I respect their opinion and I don't judge them for not wanting to hang out in the club or try to convince them that they should leave the church and start drinking cosmo's. :grin:

firecracker

A man with a dirty mind, is a man with a dirty mind no matter when and where. If we go by the book we should all be covered like the Muslim women do along with a load of other instructions we pick and choose to ignore. Which isn't a bad thing either.

Princess I won't and can't comment on the varied types of Christian women attitudes good or bad because I'm not perfect and without sin.
My relationship with God is just that "my relationship". The beat ya upside the head bible thumpers have their own set of different issues.

Last edited:

Princess4real

A man with a dirty mind, is a man with a dirty mind no matter when and where. If we go by the book we should all be covered like the Muslim women do along with a load of other instructions we pick and choose to ignore. Which isn't a bad thing either.

Princess I won't and can't comment on the varied types of Christian women attitudes good or bad because I'm not perfect and without sin.
My relationship with God is just that "my relationship". The beat ya upside the head bible thumpers have their own set of different issues.

I agree. :yep:

kbragg

I've noticed that a lot Christians frown on "clubbing." I guess I am wondering what the reason for this is. I've never been much of a club goer, (I can't dance but I love trying) but I don't see what the big deal is. When I was on my "babymoon" with dh in South Beach we walked past a club that was playing a slow song. Dh pulled me in there (5 month preggers belly and all) and we danced a few songs. It was so much fun.

Pray and ask God about it. Ask Him if it's His Will for you to be in that environment. Look to God for your answers, not to man.:yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
It's the wrong climate, the wrong environment for anyone, let alone Christians. Think about the atmosphere. It's unwholesome and it's nothing going on in there to enhance one's relationship with Jesus, neither to develop one's future in a productive manner.

How so? You go in to waste time and come out wasted. What has one accomplished to produce life into their lives?

People know its wrong to be there. It goes without saying or even asking. The club is an environment where people have their sin run rampant and have others to support it. No one in the club is worshipping Jesus. If they were, the question in this thread would be obsolete.

:nono: :nono::nono: :nono::nono: The real question is, 'what's right about it?'.........Nothing!

Mamita

Back to basics
It's the wrong climate, the wrong environment for anyone, let alone Christians. Think about the atmosphere. It's unwholesome and it's nothing going on in there to enhance one's relationship with Jesus, neither to develop one's future in a productive manner.

How so? You go in to waste time and come out wasted. What has one accomplished to produce life into their lives?

People know its wrong to be there. It goes without saying or even asking. The club is an environment where people have their sin run rampant and have others to support it. No one in the club is worshipping Jesus. If they were, the question in this thread would be obsolete.

:nono: :nono::nono: :nono::nono: The real question is, 'what's right about it?'.........Nothing!

u said it so much better than me lol, thank u

firecracker

I think she really does know why it the wrong setting. She knows God ain't setting up shop in the club. :look: She could get her boogey on in the church and have just as much fun maybe she hasn't found the right church home to fill that void the club did.

firecracker

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all is right with the parties or any other sinful place ie:devils den employer. No human can make me feel bad about something I willing do and know isn't right in my walk. I stay prayful, read the word and keep trying to change different behavior. Now if someone one started calling me such and such because of my actions I'd put her in her place if she was wrong, say thats right or tell her to mind her own business because God will handle she and I.

Shimmie

Staff member
I think she really does know why it the wrong setting. She knows God ain't setting up shop in the club. :look: She could get her boogey on in the church and have just as much fun maybe she hasn't found the right church home to fill that void the club did.
:yep: Makes sense. We all have voids.

However, it's better to 'act' on what she knows and to be out there 'Church Hopping' and not Club Hopping. She's not going to find a Church home in a club. If anything the club is only pulling her further away. She's already in a struggle putting up defense for it.

chellero

Wife Supremacist

Well I don't consider time spent dancing with dh to be time wasted. I think that time spent being romantic with your dh is great for your relationship. As far as the "sin running rampant" I didn't see that, but it was early! I won't presume to know what other people were doing there before I got there or after I left.

If I can't dance with dh at the club then where can I dance with him in your opinion? And please don't say at home because that's not a date!

chellero

Wife Supremacist

But I don't have a club void. I think that I've been less than a dozen times in my life. Most of these times were with dh after we got married. We generally go to jazz clubs because the people are older and have most of their clothes on. :lachen:When I was young and single I avoided them because I don't dance well at all.

I cannot change churches right now, but they do dance in there. But it's completely different. There's nothing romantic about it.

chellero

Wife Supremacist

I think that this true for some people. Some people were out there when they used to go to clubs and so they associate it with coming home drunk at 3am and waking up with a strange man in their beds. I think that environment causes some people to stumble if they were in there acting a fool back in the day. Especially the lonely, single types who really want a husband. I don't think that the club is a good place to go looking for spouse, but if you've already got one then there's nothing wrong with dancing with him in one. Especially if you pick the right place.

Shimmie

Staff member
Well I don't consider time spent dancing with dh to be time wasted. I think that time spent being romantic with your dh is great for your relationship. As far as the "sin running rampant" I didn't see that, but it was early! I won't presume to know what other people were doing there before I got there or after I left.

If I can't dance with dh at the club then where can I dance with him in your opinion? And please don't say at home because that's not a date!
Hmmmmm, now you've really asked the right person....who takes and gives dance lessons. :yep: Precious one, there are so many other options.

How about going to Dance classes? Take lessons for Ballroom dancing and/or Salsa, OR even better, the old fashioned hand style dances that we as a Black community have made a classic? My mom and dad did these dances and were good at it. I have so many happy memories of watching them and my other family members who held hands while dancing, be it fast or slow. :yep:

Did you know that you can 'rent' a space in many dance centers for as low as $5 or $10 an hour? Many Dance studios have private rooms for private lessons or in my case for private practice. The huge ballroom is another option where others are dancing and it's a far more decent atmosphere than a club. Plus you are actively learing something productive...learning and sharing a new activity with your husband.

Here in Maryland, there's a Dance studio called the Promanade Sports Arena. There a huge ballroom floor where several couples are either taking individual lessons or they come to practice as a couple. Everyone has their own 'space'. There's also a private dance room that can be reserved and rented for private use. We use it often for private lessons.

There are community centers which give lessons, I co-teach a dance class in one of them. There are centers who have parties and again, it's a more wholesome atmosphere. Even Churches give dance parties and the entire family is involved or for couples only events. Again...the atmosphere is far better.

You and your husband were in your own 'world' when he took you into the club that night. :cloudnine: So it's no surprise that you were 'unaware' of the spirits who rule in darkness there. :love4: :drunk: :love4:

Therefore you 'saw' nothing going on in the 'natural' realm...but ummmmm, the prince of darkness was still perched on his throne there. That's his haven and of course he was on the down low, drawing people in, seeking whom he may devour.

Be happy and Dance...don't ever stop. Just be selective, that's all. I've been a Dancer all my life, and I would be very depressed if I could not dance, it's in my blood and it's what I dream about; but I've learned where and where not to.

Love and blessings to you and your husband eternally precious lady. :grouphug2:

fuchsiastar

Shimmie, I know you meant that ^^ for someone else, but it was really a blessing to me. Thanks for that information! :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie, I know you meant that ^^ for someone else, but it was really a blessing to me. Thanks for that information! :yep:
You've blessed me even more fuchsiastar :grouphug2:. I was hoping not to appear hard, but caring in my post. You saw it and I can't help but thank you for blessing me.

I wish you Happy Dancing as well. :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
chellero.... I just noticed that you are the OP of this thread.

Just know that it is the 'subject' that I'm hard on...not you, angel. :grouphug2:

I apologize for appearing so, if I did come across to you that way.

Southernbella.

I stopped being into clubs once I got to college, which seems a bit backwards, but that's when I got serious about my walk. To me, there was nothing edifying about it. The smoke, liquor, men trying to hook up with you, music with profanity...I had no reason to be there.

Me and dh have been to a salsa club since we've been married, and I didn't feel convicted about it. We went solely to dance and have fun, and we did just that. I saw some other people from my old church there, in fact.:lachen:We've also been to an oldies club. There was no smoke and no profanity, and we weren't convicted about that either.

To me, it depends on what kind of club we're talking about, and I also think it's a bit different if you are going somewhere with your spouse to dance with your spouse.:ohwell:

Southernbella.

Hmmmmm, now you've really asked the right person....who takes and gives dance lessons. :yep: Precious one, there are so many other options.

How about going to Dance classes? Take lessons for Ballroom dancing and/or Salsa, OR even better, the old fashioned hand style dances that we as a Black community have made a classic? My mom and dad did these dances and were good at it. I have so many happy memories of watching them and my other family members who held hands while dancing, be it fast or slow. :yep:

Did you know that you can 'rent' a space in many dance centers for as low as $5 or $10 an hour? Many Dance studios have private rooms for private lessons or in my case for private practice. The huge ballroom is another option where others are dancing and it's a far more decent atmosphere than a club. Plus you are actively learing something productive...learning and sharing a new activity with your husband.

Here in Maryland, there's a Dance studio called the Promanade Sports Arena. There a huge ballroom floor where several couples are either taking individual lessons or they come to practice as a couple. Everyone has their own 'space'. There's also a private dance room that can be reserved and rented for private use. We use it often for private lessons.

There are community centers which give lessons, I co-teach a dance class in one of them. There are centers who have parties and again, it's a more wholesome atmosphere. Even Churches give dance parties and the entire family is involved or for couples only events. Again...the atmosphere is far better.

You and your husband were in your own 'world' when he took you into the club that night. :cloudnine: So it's no surprise that you were 'unaware' of the spirits who rule in darkness there. :love4: :drunk: :love4:

Therefore you 'saw' nothing going on in the 'natural' realm...but ummmmm, the prince of darkness was still perched on his throne there. That's his haven and of course he was on the down low, drawing people in, seeking whom he may devour.

Be happy and Dance...don't ever stop. Just be selective, that's all. I've been a Dancer all my life, and I would be very depressed if I could not dance, it's in my blood and it's what I dream about; but I've learned where and where not to.

Love and blessings to you and your husband eternally precious lady. :grouphug2:

I think this is the key. As a Christian, you have discernent for a reason. You know when you set foot in a place whether you are supposed to be there or not.

Even in my backslidden days:look:, I would walk in a club and walk right back out because I got a horrible feeling that something bad was going to happen to me in there. My friends stopped inviting me.

Chellero, use your discernment. If the environment is such that you KNOW you don't belong (profane music, people getting drunk, men groping or leering, sexual dancing), then that's not the place for you. If you can find a place to dance (we have a salsa club here in Atlanta that's awesome), and you feel comfortable there, then go and have fun with your dh! Everyone's walk is different, and nobody can say what's right for you.:yep:

My old church used to hold dances. I know they did a Chicago step night once. You may be able to find a church that has something like that.

firecracker

But I don't have a club void. I think that I've been less than a dozen times in my life. Most of these times were with dh after we got married. We generally go to jazz clubs because the people are older and have most of their clothes on. :lachen:When I was young and single I avoided them because I don't dance well at all.

I cannot change churches right now, but they do dance in there. But it's completely different. There's nothing romantic about it.
Sorry for the mix up. I thought you were talking about the bootay rubbing club club, not jazz clubs where its usually soothing and mellow.

Shimmie

Staff member
I stopped being into clubs once I got to college, which seems a bit backwards, but that's when I got serious about my walk. To me, there was nothing edifying about it. The smoke, liquor, men trying to hook up with you, music with profanity...I had no reason to be there.

Me and dh have been to a salsa club since we've been married, and I didn't feel convicted about it. We went solely to dance and have fun, and we did just that. I saw some other people from my old church there, in fact.:lachen:We've also been to an oldies club. There was no smoke and no profanity, and we weren't convicted about that either.

To me, it depends on what kind of club we're talking about, and I also think it's a bit different if you are going somewhere with your spouse to dance with your spouse.:ohwell:
I love the 'oldies' clubs. There's one here in Maryland where they even have the Black & White checkered dance floor....oldie's style.

There are so many options as opposed to being in the wrong atmosphere.

The thing is now-a-days, even if you go to the 'bad' clubs with your husband, the women there are so brazen. It's not just the men trying to hit on the women. :nono: Gee, don't go into the restroom and leave hubby waiting for you. They're all up bootie and boobs in his face....:blush:.

I'm not calling the other places 'Heaven', but they sure aren't brazen.

OT...I'm loving the Nail Polish threads, Lauren....:up: I was in Sally's BS last night checking out the OPI shades.

firecracker

I love the 'oldies' clubs. There's one here in Maryland where they even have the Black & White checkered dance floor....oldie's style.

There are so many options as opposed to being in the wrong atmosphere.

The thing is now-a-days, even if you go to the 'bad' clubs with your husband, the women there are so brazen. It's not just the men trying to hit on the women. :nono: Gee, don't go into the restroom and leave hubby waiting for you. They're all up bootie and boobs in his face....:blush:.

I'm not calling the other places 'Heaven', but they sure aren't brazen.

OT...I'm loving the Nail Polish threads, Lauren....:up: I was in Sally's BS last night checking out the OPI shades.
The bold is so true. :yep:

chellero

Wife Supremacist

Well I avoid the clubs where they play a lot of hip hop just because I am too old to be up in there. I'll be thirty this year, and even if half the music didn't offend me I don't think that I'd be going to that kind of place. I don't feel convicted about the salsa, jazz, or oldies clubs either, or the karaoke bar. I asked the question because I hear people make comments about how awful it is to go to a club, and I was wondering if they just had a problem with secular music and dancing. And I was wondering if there was some scriptural basis for that, or if it was a just a personal preference.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Sorry for the mix up. I thought you were talking about the bootay rubbing club club, not jazz clubs where its usually soothing and mellow.

:lachen:I guess I should have been more specific. At least none of you thought that I was talking about the strip club! :blush: