When a Relaxer Burns ...

options

what, exactly, does it mean?

I retouched my texturizer last night, after having done a corrective in early November. So that is approximately two months in between touch-ups. I had about an 3/4-inch to a full inch of new growth.

Anyway, I used the same product I had used previously (Silk Elements texturizer), but this time it started to burn around the 15-minute mark. Previously, I let it process about 20 minutes, as my hair "laughs" at chemicals, and it didn't burn then. So I was surprised when it started burning this time.

I noticed that it burned primarily where I had an abundance of new growth - the wiry and extremely coiled crown area. I don't know if this contributed or not, but it was merely an observation.

Anyway, the texturizer itself turned out well. No overprocessing (actually, I am leaning toward eventually releasing more of my texture; I retain about 80 percent of my natural texture). No extreme dryness. No breakage. And no post-shampooing burning or irritation.

What could have caused the same product I used previously to burn? Should I consider switching? And what if at some point I want to completely re-texturize all of my hair to retain only about 60 percent of my natural texture?

blue_flower

When you did your touch up you must have:

1) left the relaxer on longer than it was supposed to

2) You got relaxer on your scalp when you were applying it to the new growth

and/or

3) You didn't base your scalp with Vaseline

When your scalp burns that is not a good thing. As soon as you feel that tingle it means it's nearly time to rinse the relaxer out. I don't think there was anything wrong with your relaxer, maybe your method of applying it. Also I advise against you retexturizing all of your hair. You might risk overprocessing it.

options

I think it must be that it got on my scalp. My husband applied to rather liberally there and I kept warning him. I actually felt the relaxer touch my scalp (almost the sensation of greasing the scalp) ...

blue_flower

I think you should wait longer to get your next touch-up. I don't know how badly your scalp was burned, but you'll want to be gentle with it.