When Christians say:

Eiano

"If I weren't saved... I would tell him what I really think"

or

"Since I'm a Christian, I'll keep my comments to myself"

How do you feel about this? Do any of you do this or know what I'm talking about? :) To me this is in a way sort of hiding behind religion. And it's a good way of 'telling' people how you REALLY feel without saying anything. It really bothers me when people say this.

or

Is it a reminder to them to not say things that they feel, like a verbal reminder?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Yeah, I've heard people say things similar to that. They make it seem like they're gonna do something evil that they wouldn't do as a Christian. Like "If I wasn't saved, I would tell him off" or "If I wasn't a Christian, I would kill him" or something in that nature. It seems like they're trying to be cute but I don't think it's cute nor funny at all. For those Christians to think that way is wrong. :nono:

BAILEYSCREAM

Eiano said:

or

How do you feel about this? Do any of you do this or know what I'm talking about? :) To me this is in a way sort of hiding behind religion. And it's a good way of 'telling' people how you REALLY feel without saying anything. It really bothers me when people say this.

or

Is it a reminder to them to not say things that they feel, like a verbal reminder?

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. IMO if an individual is trying to live in a Christian way it should be a way of life too, not just something you do when it suits you.

Comments like that, to me, shows that a person is not 100% in their faith. However, I'm used to people saying they are Christian, but practising their faith as and when it suits them.:confused:

ETA: If a person makes a point of proclaiming they are saved, I personally think they should behave like someone who is saved. Being saved (born again) is a big step and there are many things that have to be left behind including harbouring bad thoughts amongst other things. I think some people take it lightly.:)

Last edited:

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Exactly. There is a woman in my home town who according to her can pick up and put down her religion when it suits her. Her grandkid were fighting some other kids who were really beating the living daylight out of the saved woman's grandkids. Mrs. XXX came out yelling and screaming saying she was saved but was gonna lay her religion down right now and whip their ever lovin a**'s and pick it up (her religion) later. To me that's just wrong.

Nyambura

surfer girl
BAILEYSCREAM said:
Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. IMO if an individual is trying to live in a Christian way it should be a way of life too, not just something you do when it suits you.

Comments like that, to me, shows that a person is not 100% in their faith. However, I'm used to people saying they are Christian, but practising their faith as and when it suits them.:confused:

ETA: If a person makes a point of proclaiming they are saved, I personally think they should behave like someone who is saved. Being saved (born again) is a big step and there are many things that have to be left behind including harbouring bad thoughts amongst other things. I think some people take it lightly.:)

That's a very good point. Harboring bad thoughts rather than releasing them seems like a natural human tendency, especially in tough situations (e.g., the recently-in-the-news Schindler family in their fight against their son-in-law Michael Schiavo for their daughter Teri's life - and I'm sure on his side too)...and letting go of them seems like it requires more than just human will power...like prayer!...but the trick is trying to remember to pause and seek God's will/direction before taking action.

Last edited:

MrsQueeny

I guess I am kind of on the fence about this because sometimes when I am driving and people do crazy stuff which happens a lot in NM. I'll say something like "Thank GOD for deliverance". It is so easy to want to slip because of our flesh. When I say stuff out loud like that, it is not for the other person but for me so I can remind myself of who I belong too. Yes sometimes when people upset me, a couple of curse words come to mind but then I think of JESUS and something else comes out. I think that our flesh continues to remember how we used to be and that's why bad things quickly come to mind. Just like when you learn to ride a bike, no matter how long you haven't done it, as soon as you get on you remember how to ride it. Speaking for myself I have prayed to GOD about this because I had a lot of guilt over having those things even come to my mind just because of the different scriptures I have read. But GOD has revealed to me that he knows my heart and that I am growing, the fact that I don't curse and think of HIM is growth for me and as I continue to fast and pray HE will continually kill and purge my flesh so that certain words won't even come to mind. It's not even curse words with some people it could be things like shut up or calling someone stupid or an idiot. However, I don't hold back how I feel totally unless the Spirit moves me too. If I really feel that I have to say something, I will pause, focus on GOD sometimes say an mini prayer and then say it the right way. But I don't think you can just put your religion down because my pastor always says that it might not be there when you get back or it might not be the same!!! Take care Q

Last edited:

Koffie

ladydee36330 said:
Exactly. There is a woman in my home town who according to her can pick up and put down her religion when it suits her. Her grandkid were fighting some other kids who were really beating the living daylight out of the saved woman's grandkids. Mrs. XXX came out yelling and screaming saying she was saved but was gonna lay her religion down right now and whip their ever lovin a**'s and pick it up (her religion) later. To me that's just wrong.

It ain't right, but:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Eiano

queeny20 said:
When I say stuff out loud like that, it is not for the other person but for me so I can remind myself of who I belong too.

I guess this is what I meant... you say that you say it to yourself.

Bu then I think, does this mean that the only reason you're being nice and biting your tongue in the first place is because it's what Jesus would want us to do it, and not because you want to be a good person in general?

MrsQueeny

Yes a lot of things I do because I know it is what Jesus would want me to do. I think everyone does that initially until you become convicted and search within yourself through the holy spirit. Some people have not grown enough to know the why of things that they should or should not do but they do it. Just like with my kids they always ask questions about things and although they may not like the answer they obey because they love me and that's what I want them to do or don't do. When I initially got saved there were a lot of things that I stopped doing because I know it was wrong in GOD's eyes. I did not know why or anything. Now I have been able to study scripture more and understand things better. I also believe that there will be things I won't ever understand because GOD may want to reveal them in heaven or maybe not to me at all. That doesn't mean I am going to go against what HE wants because I don't understand.

That doesn't mean that as I grow I will not say certain things or think certain things because it's just becomes who I am. I base all I do on how Jesus would want me to say or do things and not focus on the world's standards. Because if someone runs a red light and hits my car injuring one of my kids and I get out cussing and screaming, the world may look at me and say "well she is right" or they can understand my reaction. People may still think I am a good person overall and separate that particular reaction from their view of me as a whole. I think being a "good" person is based on your own opinion. Some people think that being a good person is not killing someone or giving to the poor. But many people do those things and don't believe in GOD. There is a scripture in the bible that says something to the effect that "no one is good except GOD". So I guess I am striving to be like GOD and in essence striving to be good in HIS eyes and standards. Once I do that, that will make me a good person person because I will be like HIM. Take care Q

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
I'm going with Queeny on this one. There have been times when I may have wanted to cuss someone out like I used to do but stopped b/c I knew that was not the right approach as a Christian and stopped myself. There were probably a few times I did blow my top. It doesn't always mean you take off the Christianity when it suits you.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I say things like "Thank God I'm saved." I would never use it in a negative way. I say this so that way I can keep my flesh under control and turn something negative into something positive.

slwe415

ladydee36330 said:

:( ITA! Religion is not something that you can lay down and pick back up. You either have Christ in your life, or you don't...

Sweet C

Eiano said:

or

or

I think it all really depends on the situation in which it was said. I know that I say to some of my friends when we are joking around that, "You better be glad I am saved", but when I think about it it is never a situation where it stops me from saying how I feel.

I do think some people do use this and it can be sort of hiding behind religion in a way, or else the comment would have no need to be made. If you aren't going to comment, then you can just be silent.

slwe415

sugaplum said:
I say things like "Thank God I'm saved." I would never use it in a negative way. I say this so that way I can keep my flesh under control and turn something negative into something positive.

I know exactly what you mean...My husband preached in a revival last week, and each night he said that he wasn't giving the benediction until Friday because people know how to act when they are in church. Anyway, we stopped at McDonald's one particular night, and this guy practically pushed this other woman into me. I looked at my husband's aunt and said, "I'm still in church right?" :D

Of course, knowing me, I would not have said anything to them anyway!

makeupgirl

Ladies you have made some excellent points and this is something we see all the time. I know it see it a lot on my job. There's this one lady who always says when she's about to say something smart that "If I didn't know Jesus..I would do this or that" That was a big red flag to me at first when we were friends. Since then, the Holy Spirit allowed me to recognize that she wasn't my sister in Christ after all. I've never really seen another Christian write someone off when they don't get their way or say I'm not a hypocrite but then turn around and do the very same thing they just preached about not doing. Or consistantly in everyone's business or say comments like "I don't care if it's Jesus, your not get through" or "He had more money than God". No, no child of God would say such a thing or always use the Lord's name in vain. But, this is just one of the many things in addition to their fruits that reveals the wolves in sheep clothing.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Ladies you have made some excellent points and this is something we see all the time. I know it see it a lot on my job. There's this one lady who always says when she's about to say something smart that "If I didn't know Jesus..I would do this or that" That was a big red flag to me at first when we were friends. Since then, the Holy Spirit allowed me to recognize that she wasn't my sister in Christ after all. I've never really seen another Christian write someone off when they don't get their way or say I'm not a hypocrite but then turn around and do the very same thing they just preached about not doing. Or consistantly in everyone's business or say comments like "I don't care if it's Jesus, your not get through" or "He had more money than God". No, no child of God would say such a thing or always use the Lord's name in vain. But, this is just one of the many things in addition to their fruits that reveals the wolves in sheep clothing.

Wow, I never thought about it that way. VERY true. :yep:

firecracker

Yeah, I've heard people say things similar to that. They make it seem like they're gonna do something evil that they wouldn't do as a Christian. Like "If I wasn't saved, I would tell him off" or "If I wasn't a Christian, I would kill him" or something in that nature. It seems like they're trying to be cute but I don't think it's cute nor funny at all. For those Christians to think that way is wrong. :nono:
Most Christians need God to help tame thoughts, tongue and much more. They are not wrong but I will be sure to tell all the non-cussing Christian folks and the 1st ladies I know they are dead wrong for not stepping outta character. Lol. I think its wrong for a Christian to question God about why their life isnt going the way they want at a certain time and being a BAW about like many here have done but thats some kinda right to some Christian folks. By the way if it wasnt for God and the jails being crappy I would probably commit double homocide. Now thats all kinda wrong.