When Flat Ironing, 1 Or 2 Heat Protectants ?

curlytwirly06

So I am attempting a flat iron for the 5th time in my whole life , lol. In the past I have always gotten semi poofy results and I am thinking using too much heat protection is the culprit. I have a blow dry cream that does well for me and it provides heat protection up to 450 degrees. I also have a serum. I am wondering if I need to use both when blow drying and flat ironing? I have very fine stands and I am very worried about heat damage. Using two gives me piece of mind that while flat ironing at 360 degrees that I am not burning my hair. Help?

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I use two as well.
I deep condition with Sabino Moisture Block.
And then add more Moisture Block and an HSI spray protectant before blow drying.
After that I add Fantasia IC heat protectant for flat ironing.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I have tried sprays galore and they never fail to give me rough feeling hair. I'm pretty sure it's the alcohol. So you think using two serums is to heavy?
Absolutely. I have normal to thin strands but I have a lot of hair. If I use too much of one serum let alone two serums my hair would be stringy and gross. Straight, not puffy...but gross. Don't do it girl!

curlytwirly06

Hummmmm, okay so no using two serums. What do y'all think about applying both heat protectants ( spray and serum) before blow drying? I want to try not adding anything but just flat ironing after the blow dry.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Really? You think so? I won't get heat damage applying only one heat protectant before blow drying and flat ironing? I would love to do so but I'm afraid I'll burn my hair.

One is good enough. Just make sure your application is even across all strands.

Also your blow trying and flat iron technique is what really makes the difference. Heat protectors just provide a measure of protection but bad technique can defeat it.

PJaye

Really? You think so? I won't get heat damage applying only one heat protectant before blow drying and flat ironing? I would love to do so but I'm afraid I'll burn my hair.

Please, don't allow fear and paranoia to consume you because all they will do is mess up the entire process. I've watched members tackle straightening on this board for years, and the ones that always receive subpar results are those that are so paranoid of heat damage that they slap on multiple unnecessary products before straightening. IME, the most important steps before straightening is: (1) an abundance of moisture while DCing; and (2) limited finishing product usage. One heat protectant is more than sufficient.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
One is good enough. Just make sure your application is even across all strands.

Also your blow trying and flat iron technique is what really makes the difference. Heat protectors just provide a measure of protection but bad technique can defeat it.
This. You can use the best protection in the world but if you do three passes on 450 you may as well do it with nothing on.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
You can use both before blow drying. I just find that using serum before flat ironing yields a good flat iron everytime. But I also know the best technique for my hair.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I only flat iron once every 2 years (haha I know crazy right?) I deep condition, add a little Chi Silk infusion...and then on each small section I do one pass..and prior to that I spray Chi Iron guard. I guess that's 2? I never use my temperature higher than 270. I part and flat iron in small sections and I refuse to damage my hair. It's a real fear and should be taken seriously. Once your hair is damaged, game over, start again. I did not big chop all of my apl relaxed hair to destroy my natural hair 2 yrs later with heat. My hair gets pretty straight. I don't use serums or oils (aside from a drop or two of the Chi Silk infusion after my hair is washed and conditioned.

Last edited:

ajargon02

I use redkin pillow proof spritz, then seal with redkin diamond oil. Then I blow dry and flat iron. My hair is light feeling and flowing, plus it's shiny from the light diamond oil.