When I went to complain, the JCPenny stylist said . . .

dillym

the reason your hair did not straighten with the relaxer is because it was in braids. The braids train your hair and no relaxer will straighten it after braids. I can tell which hair was not in the braid because the air got to it and it straightened.

I'm sitting here with breakage and looking like I gave myself a bad box perm and she gives me this mess?

I had my hair relaxed on the 21st of July. My hair was virgin! I kept explaining that it was virgin and asked her to start in the middle of the crown. She relaxed it like it was a touch up. I have some straight ends, wavy roots and the middle of the strands is virgin hair. When wet, you can't even tell it was relaxed. The salon manager was a dissapointment because she didn't even look at my hair. The only parts which look like they were relaxed are the parts (you know when you section your hair to apply the relaxer in four parts?) and around the perimeter. Then, she tried to tell me that my collarbone length hair was all "dead hair" and needed to be cut off. Hmmm, I did not go to beauty school but, all hair is dead.

I'm furious and have already complained to their corporate office because she offered me 10% off of the next wash and blow out. I wanted a refund for the relaxer.

I haven't heard a licensed stylist discuss training my hair or try to tell me it was dead in years! Plus, she had a full weave. The salon manager wore a wig. I can't believe I let them touch my hair but, I saw her apply another relaxer and she did a good job.

Beware of JCPenney salons in CA!

Mel:wallbash:

DivaRox

Sheesh!! I'm sorry you went from virgin hair to some bull all in one fell swoop. :nono: That's doesn't make sense to me, but I didn't go to cosmetology school:rolleyes:. I think we need to be more observant of what the stylists own hair looks like before turning them loose with our hair.

Blackoutzangel05

I am so sorry that that happened to you Mel. I would recommend following thru with your complaint and then nuturing your hair to the best of your ability now. I hope that all turns out well for you.

I think that stylist must have gotten her hands on some Crack of sorts...

Anyway, get some protein going in your hair if you haven't, and I'd suggest braidouts to mask the difference in textures.

Otherwise, follow through with your complaint, and next time be a little more cautious of who you choose to style your hair. Have a nice long talk about what you're looking for.

Keep us updated.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
the reason your hair did not straighten with the relaxer is because it was in braids. The braids train your hair and no relaxer will straighten it after braids. I can tell which hair was not in the braid because the air got to it and it straightened.

I'm sitting here with breakage and looking like I gave myself a bad box perm and she gives me this mess?

I had my hair relaxed on the 21st of July. My hair was virgin! I kept explaining that it was virgin and asked her to start in the middle of the crown. She relaxed it like it was a touch up. I have some straight ends, wavy roots and the middle of the strands is virgin hair. When wet, you can't even tell it was relaxed. The salon manager was a dissapointment because she didn't even look at my hair. The only parts which look like they were relaxed are the parts (you know when you section your hair to apply the relaxer in four parts?) and around the perimeter. Then, she tried to tell me that my collarbone length hair was all "dead hair" and needed to be cut off. Hmmm, I did not go to beauty school but, all hair is dead.

I'm furious and have already complained to their corporate office because she offered me 10% off of the next wash and blow out. I wanted a refund for the relaxer.

I haven't heard a licensed stylist discuss training my hair or try to tell me it was dead in years! Plus, she had a full weave. The salon manager wore a wig. I can't believe I let them touch my hair but, I saw her apply another relaxer and she did a good job.

I was going to suggest that you contact their corporate office, but I see you did already. I've had to do that re: a JCP salon. The response from corporate was favorable. :up:

glamazon386

That's BS. However, some braiding hair is coated with a chemical that will keep the hair from straightening after an extended period of time. It happened to me before. That's why some people wash and pretreat their braiding hair before using it. Some maybe that's what she meant. She sounds like she needs her license revoked.

If your hair was virgin, why didn't she perm the whole thing? I agree with you going forward with your complaint though. She should know what she's doing regardless.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

I am so sorry you had to go through this. It's so sad when you can get more intelligent responses here than there. Whatever you do, don't take no for an answer. I'm thinking you should get a full refund of your $$$, just keep pushing the issue. Will you pursue a corrective relaxer in the future from another salon?

***Toy-Pisces***

Dang, that's just messed up! I would have had to get with her.Even if it wasn't at the salon. She must leave the salon to go home.:yep::angry2::whip:

tenderheaded

It's NEVER their fault:wallbash: I got a virgin relaxer in 2005 on my 7z hair, and Mizani got it straight - even my beady-beads!

This is just incompetence - please let us know how corporate responds.

Mook's hair

I'm really sorry you had to go through this. But really glad you posted it. I needed to hear this to reinforce my decision to go natural...(wanna join me?)

I had a bad relaxer at the salon (after a six month stretch) back in February.

The 10% is nuts! The salon where I had a bad experience really did right by me when all was said & done.
1. They refunded my money
2. I came back in for a free wash & Protein treatment 5 weeks after the bad day (I wanted the her to see my hair wet and get her hands in it so that she had a clear understanding of my new growth.
3. The following week she (the owner) (who does have skill & technique) Did a corrective (FREE of CHARGE) And I was pleased with outcome.

That is the way customers should be treated after a problem has occurred.
This is what you should be getting if you desire.

But keep your head up, Hair is very resilient. You can get your hair past this issue and back to good healthy hair. Just be patient.

But you really should black out on the people who caused this and also the corporate folks.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
See that is why I am determined to learn how to relax my own hair. Even if I make a mistake I can't blame anyone but me. No one will take care of my hair like I will and if I want to do 3 conditioners right after relaxing no one will look at me like I'm crazy.

Chinagem

I can't believe she said something so stupid! When did you take your braids out? I ask this because once I had braids and I took them out and went to get a relaxer the very next day. The stylist told me BEFORE she did my hair that it probably wouldn't hair because my hair was probably porous from having the braids in. She told me that I needed to wait at least 2 weeks. Well, I didn't believe her and I wanted my perm so I went ahead and got it. My hair came out very under-processed. I don't know if there was any truth to what she said or if she purposely sabotaged my hair ( I don't think she did it on purpose) but ever since then, I've not gotten chemicals done after removing braids.

Everything Zen

Full weave and wig are the first sign my friend... :ohwell:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Now, what kind of coonery is that?

Girl, pleaseeeeeeeee learn how to do your own relaxers. It'll save you from having to deal with stylists who may not know any better. There's a wealth of information here on self-relaxing. Even though I don't relax anymore, I can give you some tips if you need any on self-relaxing.

kittenz

After reading a few of these posts maybe there was a little truth to her story, a very little:ohwell:. If this was the case why wouldn't she tell you before hand, refuse to mess-up your hair, offer alternatives, any of the above? Instead she put her work and reputation on the line and scre*ed up your hair:nono:. Just doesn't make sense. I sorry for you- but you could get a corrective from someone you can really trust and who will have the patience and know-how to do it right. Good luck. Keep us posted on the outcome.

QueenT

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Unfortunately, many women with long hair are confronted with jealousy when they go to salons.

Because of this, I will never let anyone do my hair again.

Learn to do it yourself. You'll be much happier!

Mizani_Mrs

yea she should have consulted with you beforehand and explained what your results would be. U need talk to that manager again and ask what is their satisfaction policy. Also you need to ppoint out the incompetency because of the fact that she relaxed your hair as if it was processed, instead of doing a virgin relaxer.... i wonder if the stylist even knows how to do a virgin relaxer???

Je Ne Sais Quoi

How bad is the damage?? Hopefully you won't have huge set back. Have you tried an aphogee treatment? I am super sorry you had this issue...

glamazon386

I can't believe she said something so stupid! When did you take your braids out? I ask this because once I had braids and I took them out and went to get a relaxer the very next day. The stylist told me BEFORE she did my hair that it probably wouldn't hair because my hair was probably porous from having the braids in. She told me that I needed to wait at least 2 weeks. Well, I didn't believe her and I wanted my perm so I went ahead and got it. My hair came out very under-processed. I don't know if there was any truth to what she said or if she purposely sabotaged my hair ( I don't think she did it on purpose) but ever since then, I've not gotten chemicals done after removing braids.

You are supposed to wait a week or two. IDK about that porous comment but the hair is fragile when you first take it out of braids and you could cause more damage than good that's why you're supposed to wait. That and the issue of the relaxer not taking. I know from experience. :look:And I lost a lot of hair about 5 years ago because of it.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Jeez, this is AWFUL! I am so sorry that this happened to you! :kiss: I wonder if a strong protein treatment, followed by a deep condition would do the trick. This is such a shame. It's obvious that this "stylist" wanted to do irreparable damage to you. She didn't succeed, though. I think a treatment would help...:nono:

Hang in there.

dillym

Ladies,

Thanks for the support. I just rinsed the Aphogee from my hair.

I wanted to do my own relaxer but, have never done a virgin application. I was hoping to get a professional to get me started. Plus, I could not find the relaxer I wanted to use to apply it myself. I did a consultation before she did my hair and we discussed it before she applied any chemicals.

I'm going to do a corrective within the next two weeks. I ordered last night from Paynes! Great prices.

I have had some breakage but, I expected some. I don't think I've lost too much progress. I saw her apply a touch up and she did a good job and did not manipulate the hair too much. . . seemed to do the right thing. But the lady had very short hair. I sensed some hair jealousy. I don't know why. But, her loss.

I'm so glad to hear that someone got a refund. No word from corporate yet.

Thanks again,
Mel:yep:

Allandra

Those statements are just ridiculous. She ought to be ashamed of herself for telling you such a thing. I don't down the salon, but I do down the stylist. I know of some very good stylists that work at a JC Penney Salon. Anyways, she should register for this forum. She'd be surprised at the information she'd learn here.

Nazarite27

I'm really sorry you had to go through this. But really glad you posted it. I needed to hear this to reinforce my decision to go natural...(wanna join me?)

I had a bad relaxer at the salon (after a six month stretch) back in February.

The 10% is nuts! The salon where I had a bad experience really did right by me when all was said & done.
1. They refunded my money
2. I came back in for a free wash & Protein treatment 5 weeks after the bad day (I wanted the her to see my hair wet and get her hands in it so that she had a clear understanding of my new growth.
3. The following week she (the owner) (who does have skill & technique) Did a corrective (FREE of CHARGE) And I was pleased with outcome.

That is the way customers should be treated after a problem has occurred.
This is what you should be getting if you desire.

But keep your head up, Hair is very resilient. You can get your hair past this issue and back to good healthy hair. Just be patient.

But you really should black out on the people who caused this and also the corporate folks.

Ditto. I had a bad relaxer experience in 2004. I haven't had a relaxer since and am all natural. Shucks....the stylist did me a favor!!