natural to relaxed

shakenspirit

i finally got my hair relaxed today!!!i went to a dominican salon it was my first visit there.It was an overall great experience and i will be putting my hair into this salon's hands.
I asked if they had that olive oil relaxer because thats what my old domincan stylist used when i was relaxed a few years back.she said they had it and i could have it if i wanted but she thought that motions relaxer would be better for my virgin hair and that i could use the olive oil relaxer for touch ups...so i got the motions.Two ladies applied the relaxer they were very quick.i got a bit burned at the front left side of my head but i dont think any thing major.they washed the relaxer out,DCd,trimmed,rollerset,and wrapped my hair.i have no clue what my hair looks like because i had her wrap it immediately.ill reveal to myself and you ladies tomorrow.
so to you relaxed heads:
1.whats the best moisturizer youve tried for relaxed hair?
2.how often do you relax?
3.how often do you wash?DC?
4.Any tips??=)
TIA ladies!!

Attachments

• Perm1.jpg
    Perm1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Perm2.jpg
    Perm2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 252
  • My head.jpg
    My head.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Photo0834.jpg
    Photo0834.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

bryantgurls

I can't wait to see the pics!!!! I mainly moisturize my hair daily with a mixture of S-curl, aloe vera juice, and water. I only relax 3 times a year (every 4 months) and I wash and DC once a week.

Last edited:

Ijanei

Just curious as to what made you want to return to relaxers....cant wait until you reveal the results tomorrow:grin:
happy they took care of your hair and you seem to be happy with it

shakenspirit

thanks ladies...yeah i was thinking of relaxing 3x a year too.i decided to relax because well i just feel like i want straight hair at this point im always changing my hair so ill probably go natural again someday

Ijanei

I c, as long as you are happy with your decision, then that's all that matters...now um about those other pictures:grin: (we r waiting.....:yep:)

Junebug D

Congrats! :grin:

1.whats the best moisturizer youve tried for relaxed hair? NTM silk touch
2.how often do you relax? every 12-14 weeks
3.how often do you wash?DC? Both Weekly
4.Any tips??=) Protective style, limit heat usage, don't forget protein

Solitude

Can't wait to see your results! I'm a stretcher so I relax my hair every 4-6 months. My favorite moisturizer of the moment is Bee Mine Luscious, but I also like Elasta QP Mango Butter. I wash twice a week w/ sulfate-free shampoos and DC at least once a week alternating between a moisturizing deep treatment and a protein one.

Tanji

Wow, that was a beautiful looking wrap. So silky looking. Good for you. Looking forward to seeing your hair.

stelladata

Wow first off congrats on how nice your hair turned out. From where I'm sitting it looks to be in good condition.

Well so far I've dabbled between coconut oil and vit e oil. I use other methods to keep my hair moiturized and I still need to gather some more tips on how other ladies do it so I might not be of much assistance. But I try doing deep treatments with mayo or my favorite amla powder which has always been a staple for me.

2.how often do you relax? I relaxe every 6 months, and stretch my relaxer
as long as I can with my protective style (buns)

3.how often do you wash?DC? Yes every week. Dc and detangle. Except if I have just gotten a fresh perm I wait for like 2 weeks before I dc and use my neutralizer again. This time around I'm trying to do an aphogee treatment a week before and a week after.

4.Any tips?? Stretch, do protective styles, protein treatments will help you, and trim at least once or twice a year unless your ends are really suffering.

Crystalicequeen123

Looks nice! :up:

I'm wondering....why did the stylist say that using Motions was better for your virgin hair instead of the Olive Oil relaxer? Just curious.... :look:

Your hair looks nice!

I'm transitioning right now, but when I was relaxing....I would relax my hair every 3 months (12-13 weeks post) and I would make sure to wash my hair (or put SOME type of water/moisture in it) at least once a week. Deep Condition once a week as well. :yep: In fact, I usually deep condition after EVERY wash or co-wash.

Moisturizer...I really like the NTM moisturizer. :yep:

chasturner84

1.Whats the best moisturizer youve tried for relaxed hair?
Jury is still out but my favorites are Scurl and wave nouveau

2.How often do you relax?
My relaxer schedule is every 4 months, but I also stretch my relaxer as long as I can with protective styling

3.How often do you wash? DC?
I shampoo every week and cowash once a week (after my high impact workout). I DC with every shampoo for at least 30 minutes and with heat.

4.Any tips??
Stretch, stretch, stretch! Incorporating regular protein treatments will keep your relaxed hair strong, using protective styles/low manipulation is key to retention, and keep up on your dusting/trimming

JJamiah

YOur hair is BEAUTIFUL, :D and I heart Motions Relaxers. I use this as well. :D

1.whats the best moisturizer youve tried for relaxed hair? I use NTM Silk Touch Leave in as a moisturizer w/ Argan Oil :)

2.how often do you relax? I relax every 4 months yet this time I am going longer (possibley 8 months) not like I haven't before. I just PS when I am going longer.

3.how often do you wash?DC? I wash weekly and DC weekly. It's is part of my wash I can't have one without the other. DC is a must for me it is what keeps my hair on my head. I don't moisturize normally so this is what I do to keep my moisture up.

4.Any tips??=) DEEP CONDITION, Don't skip it. Listen to your hair. Moisturize if you must, Wash atleast once a week. Trim your hair, I trim every 4 months with my relaxers, or when I receive a relaxer. Find good products and stick with it. :) MOST OF ALL enjoy your hair!

Minty

congrats - and bigger congrats on having two hands in your head at one time! Sounds like a good salon.

1. Best Moisturizer - I mix my own now - but I used to use Elasta QP with great success
2. How often do I relax - I don't measure anymore - when my new growth dictates so from 7-12 weeks generally
3. Wash/DC 2x a week - faithfully. This cuts now on my moisture needs.

4. Tips, keep your ends protected and moisturized - keep an eye on midstrand breakage - next time you relax, apply a protein based conditioner on the midlengths to the ends of your hair to protect it from relaxer overlapping.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy

MMMM hard to pick just one... Glycerin based: Salerm 21 and S-curl

No Glycerin: Taliah Waajid proctective mist bodifyer

2.how often do you relax?

Normally about 10-12 weeks

3.how often do you wash?DC?

I DC every wash, at least 1x week. I echo JJamiah. Don't skip the DC! Your hair will thank you.

4.Any tips??=)

Listen to your hair. It will tell you if it needs moisture or protein. Maintaining that balance is important.

Keep your porosity in check. Look for the signs of porosity issues, so you can nip it in the bud.

Protein is your freind. You can use a light/medium protein weekly / every other week depending on your needs (I really like Aphogee 2min reconstructor) and a stronger protein like every 6-8 weeks, esp the week before and after the relaxer. I like Aphogee 2-step.

Always follow up protein treatments with a moisture DC.

Enjoy your hair :) it's beautiful!

Toy

Qhemet Root Burdock Butter,S-curl,Qhemet Olive & Honey Balm
2.how often do you relax?,Every 12 wks
3.how often do you wash?DC? I dont use Shampoo,I condition wash twice a week & dc the same time
4.Any tips??=)Keep Ends Protected and Moisturize

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
wow!! you did it, just like that huh lol. congratz. i love being relaxed/texlaxed. for moisture i use scurl, care free curl, and coconut oil. MUST KEEP ENDS MOISTURIZED, protective styles are always a plus!!

see ya around!

i relaxe every 10 weeks

eta: and the best DC is done on dry hair!!!

shakenspirit

sorry im so late posting but of course my internet connection is being a hater so i have to use my phone. thank you guys so much for the advice.it sounds like im gonna have to try this NTM.okay im reluctantly posting a pic because the one i got makes my hair look crappy but in person everyone loved it.
i was thinking since i wont be doing my hair myself that i would wash and DC and or protein treat every other week and relax every 4 months. I have no clue what im going to do when i go back to school in august because i wont be in nyc anymore
1.how do i know if i need protein?
2.how do i know if my hair is fine in terms of porosity?
3.DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD SALON IN NEW HAVEN OR HAMDEN,CONNECTICUT?????????
TIA ladies

Salsarisma

I have many moisturizers depending on my hair. After a fresh relaxer, I like NTM Silk Touch Leave-in. At about 4 weeks post, I switch to ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer. Then from 8-12 weeks and after Elasta QP Mango Butter is my saving grace. My last stretch was 26 weeks and SCurl kept my hair moisturized after 4 months post.

Tips: Limit direct heat!

me-T

if i could just wrap half as good!
why don't you want to do your own hair? maybe not the touchups, but the maintenance?