Which do you prefer, human or synthetic hair?

Which is better?

• Human

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Synthetic

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Both

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi, I'm just wondering, which type of hair do you prefer for extensions, such as weaves, wigs, braids, etc? I'm just asking because there seem to be so many pros and cons for both.

I use synthetic hair at the moment, for my braids and wigs because it's cheaper, and works well enough. The only thing that's a shame is that you can't heat style, which I might want for a weave.

I think human hair can be more natural looking, and also can be heat styled. My only qualm is things I've read on the ethical issues of how human hair is obtained in many cases.

So I'm pretty stuck on which is better. What do you think? Do you stick to just one for particular reasons, or do you not mind and use both?

NIN4eva

I used ( Enstyle YAKI PONY Braiding Hair - 100% Toyokalen Fiber. http://texasbeautysupplies.com/yakpon100toy.html ) When I was braiding my hair to transition a few years ago. It was the best I've ever used. I'll never use anything else. The shine, the texture, and it never EVER tangled. And you can't beat the price.

If you're using human hair, it's been my experience that you have to get the top of the line remy yaki stuff or you run the risk of dealing with tangling and a shorter life span...and $$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

Nonie

Ever since I started using human hair, way back when I was a teen, I have never gone back to synthetic. I would miss the versatility too much, and synthetic hair makes me itch like a mo.fo.

tocktick

Human hair. It's not really "human" for the most part though anyway. I do find though that my hair and scalp reacts better to it than synthetic hair like kanekalon.

yardgirl

Human hair. It's not really "human" for the most part though anyway. I do find though that my hair and scalp reacts better to it than synthetic hair like kanekalon.

This is sometimes true if you're buying hair from the beauty supply store.

AlliCat

All my wigs are synthetic. My friend asked me if it was human hair remy or whatever LOL. They key is to reduce wig shine with baby powder.

AlliCat

For those who have itching issues with syn hair, try soaking the water in a vinegar solution to get rid of the alkaline base

ms.blue

For me it's both based on the braiding style. For individual/micro braids then it's human hair. For cornrows and kinky twists then it's synthetic hair.
For weaves, 100% human hair (ounce hair & not from the bss)

Last edited:

tocktick

What exactly do you mean by this? That they sell fake human hair or something? Please elaborate, I'm curious :poke: :ninja:

I think only a small percentage of it has to be human hair for it to be classified as "human hair" at least to my knowledge.

I've found thread in some of my packs, depending on the brand. Even plasticky fibres but I just pick those out as much as I can. It's not an overwhelming amount, tbh. If it was, I'd stop using it. I go for a cheaper human hair and much of it looks fine - maybe if I went for a more expensive brand I wouldn't get that. I prefer not to though as I get my hair done just over every month or so and braids are a means to an end for now.

I've had the odd reaction to BSS-bought human hair and that's maybe a tell-tale sign something is up (i.e - too many synthetic human-hair like fibres) but it's never as severe as when I wear certain synthetic brands. I think it's always just best to wash the hair before using though in cider vinegar and warm water.

Last edited:

FoxyMoxie

I prefer human hair when I get a weave which is not often. I get Outre Duby and I love it. It has minimal shedding and I am able to heat style it. People always compliment me on how lush my hair is when I wear it. Least that let's me know that it looks real.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
All my wigs are synthetic. My friend asked me if it was human hair remy or whatever LOL. They key is to reduce wig shine with baby powder.

How do you accomplish this? Dust the wig with baby powder?? Curious. Thx!

Last edited:
I prefer human hair. The synthetic is a bit drying to my natural hair if I don't consistently moisturize. My hair likes the inexpensive conditioners, but my scalp doesn't, and I feel it's a waste to use good conditioner on synthetic hair.

cmw45

Synthetic hair--braiding/twists; stays looking neat longer in after washing and the gym
Human hair--weaves; allows you to use heat and color

Last edited:

libertysince05

i like braids with human hair as i find synthetic is to heavy for me, but i chose both as synthetic is cheap and good for short term braids and human is better for longer term braids and weaves.

Shananyganz

I use both depending on what I intend...

For individuals:: Rast Afri Synthetic hair; I can do all kinds with this hair...haven't used heat,,but it will curl over night with my flexirods. I typically soak it in vinegar to remove the back and then spray it with some kind of leave-in condish. I have no issues with itchy scalp or drying of my natural hair.

For Weaves: Human Hair; Have yet to settle on a "type", but I recently had indian hair and I liked it for the most part.

~S~

dollface0023

I actually use Synthetic hair when I'm trying to save up for the Human hair.

Human hair just looks and feels better to me, But I can't afford it all the time...

VirtuousBeauty

I prefer synthetic when I use my half wigs, but thats just cuz I'm only wearing it for the sake of not having to style it in the first place so why bother with something that will eventually need more maintenance then i'm willing to give

naturalmanenyc

Wigs: synthetic
Sew in or fusion weave: human
crochet braids: synthetic

Hi, I'm just wondering, which type of hair do you prefer for extensions, such as weaves, wigs, braids, etc? I'm just asking because there seem to be so many pros and cons for both.

I use synthetic hair at the moment, for my braids and wigs because it's cheaper, and works well enough. The only thing that's a shame is that you can't heat style, which I might want for a weave.

I think human hair can be more natural looking, and also can be heat styled. My only qualm is things I've read on the ethical issues of how human hair is obtained in many cases.

So I'm pretty stuck on which is better. What do you think? Do you stick to just one for particular reasons, or do you not mind and use both?

BeautifulFlower

Depends. Both has their advantages. I use it for weaves.

Human hair last longer but you have to style it for it to remain looking good.

Synthetic last a few weeks but it will hold that style so you dont have to do anything but fluff and go. I love it.

So depending on my mood, my schedule, etc....one suits me better than the other.

iri9109

for cornrows with extensions i think synthetic looks better and lasts longer...for micros and weaves i will only use human...im considering half wigs for next year and they will be synthetic, but i will invest in a curly human hair one when i find one of good quality and decent price.