White, Asian, Latin etc..Do they comb their hair?...Seriously

TrustMeLove

Seriously. I just came out of one of my classes where out of 160 folks there are about 6 black folks. And as I was battling Hand in Fro Disease...I recognized that none of the white folks, asian folks, anyone besides the black people in my class look like they had comb their hair.

Alot of folks had greasy hair, tangly hair, hair just everywhere. Or these messy tangly ponytails that were half ponytail half like just up.

I can't explain it. But am I the only one who notices this stuff?

I had to catch the bus today to the Univ. And this lady, very hood, was combing her kids hair on the bus. W/ BLACK GEL :wallbash: But, I recognized that since I was a little girl and all my black friends we have been trained to do our hair EVERYDAY! I mean we had DAYS OF THE WEEK HAIR BARRETTES (sp). That means each day comb your hair. lol.

Other folks don't seem to have been raised that same way. And if we left the house with the same hair that we woke up with w/o putting anything in it, unwrapping it, taking out the rollers, no fluffying etc...The dominant society says that we haven't comb our hair. But, they look like they NEVER comb theirs.

And I have some friends who are apart of the dominant society and the only times I see them and their hair looks done is when we are going out to a party, church (maybe), or something special. Like they combed it, put some curls in it, or mouse...ya know something.

What's up with this?

Neith

:ohwell:

I don't think we can seriously say that such a large group of people don't comb their hair.

What if a white woman came to a similar conclusion about black people just because she ran into a few black women with unkept hair? That wouldn't be fair.

ShaniKeys

All I know is that the 'out of bed hair look' has been very popular among white ppl recently, most white teenagers over here either tease their hair or have dreadlocks

JustKiya

:lachen:

I have a white coworker who I wonder that about often - she has straight, fried blond BSL/MBL hair, and it looks - well, it looks like who did what most days - just everywhere!

I got bold one day, and asked one of my white friends. She said, yeah, most folks DO comb their hair in the morning, but because it's so straight/gets oily so fast/is so light, that just general movement/wind/life makes their hair look crazy real fast, and most of them don't carry a comb around during the day.

Mind, she combs her hair like a black man trying to maintain his 'waves', everytime I turned around the girl was combing her hair back into place - but, it always looked shampoo commercial good, too.

So, long story short, I suspect they do comb in the morning - it just doesn't last.

TrustMeLove

:ohwell:

I don't think we can seriously say that such a large group of people don't comb their hair.

What if a white woman came to a similar conclusion about black people just because she ran into a few black women with unkept hair? That wouldn't be fair.

Yea, I am not saying that they necessarily never comb their hair even though I did use the word never, but than I contradicted myself too in the next paragraph when I talked about some of my friends who do comb their hair for certain occassions.

But, it just seems like for ladies especially here on LHCF we are very intentional about makign sure our hair is "presentable" "done" "comb" when we step out the house. And that doesn't mean some fly straight out the shop look.

But, I didn't just walk out the house with bed head or throw it in a ponytail. I moisturized and oiled it than put on a headband for a puff. I just don't see that same amount of work in the majority of the non-black people I see on this campus of 35,000. lol

Now, what we really need to do is a Confidence Interval and see if the proportion of comb heads and non comb heads is clinically significant. lol hAHA I just got out of my biostats class.

msa

Well, my family is white and I know my mom and sisters wash and blowdry their hair everyday. Once of my sisters flat irons almost every day. And, my mom has a brush in her purse, car, and in every room of the house. She is forever brushing her hair.

And if we left the house with the same hair that we woke up with w/o putting anything in it, unwrapping it, taking out the rollers, no fluffying etc...The dominant society says that we haven't comb our hair. But, they look like they NEVER comb theirs.

I have to say, I don't think it's "dominant society" that says our hair is uncombed if we don't do all kind of stuff with it. In fact, the only people who have ever had a problem with me walking out with my wash-n-go are black people. They always make comments like "girl when you gonna comb your hair?" or "why you always walk out the house with your hair not done?".

White people never say anything like that to me and my family and other white people (classmates, coworkers, etc.) love my hair most when I don't do anything to it.

OT: What bus were you on? was it the 357? there was this lady who used to do her kids hair every day on the bus when I was on my way to school. she said she didn't have time before they left the house.

TrustMeLove

Thanks for your reply. Definitely adding more personal experience to the pot. I know some older white women who always have their done. Always..nails, makeup the works. So this isn't shocking. But, I can say that there does seem to be alot of folks who hair doesn't look combed on MY campus. But as someone said above the elements maybe have something to do with that.

I have to say that the dominant society has had an affect on black hair. There are some people I know who had no idea that black folks hair came out their heads kinky, curly, wavy...They thought it came out straight NATURALLY. I am the only person IRL that I know who has natural hair. EVERYONE EVERYONE I know has straight hair. That just isn't by chance...that speaks of something deeper than choice. Probably choice being primary, but what are the secondary and tertiary reasons that folks may not even recognize.

I never get any negative comments from non black people either. But, there are threads and threads from nappies worried about how to wear their hair while on the job? For that interview? For a, b, or c. What will be presentable? Bun it. Twist it up. Straighten it...Because they are concerned what type of affect it will have on their upward mobility, work environment, or just getting the job.

I even waited a month before I broke out my wash n go on my last job. I waited a month before I broke out my twist out. I NEVER broke out the fro. And I saw my Bosses Boss at the airport one Thursday when we both took off. And I had my twist out going looking tooo cute in jeans and a top. She was like wow TML you look sooo different. Like shocked..taken back like I was some other person who couldn't possibly work at the same company. She was so taken back she even brought it up on MONDAY! :lachen:

So yes dominant society still influences black hair "good, bad, acceptable, not acceptable" for the reasons above.

And I was on the 305. And she had the amp pro gel, tight rubber bands, dirty comb, and cheap hard brush. The little girls hair was *snaps* that long. Ohhh I had to move because her kids were getting on my nerves.

Well, my family is white and I know my mom and sisters wash and blowdry their hair everyday. Once of my sisters flat irons almost every day. And, my mom has a brush in her purse, car, and in every room of the house. She is forever brushing her hair.

I have to say, I don't think it's "dominant society" that says our hair is uncombed if we don't do all kind of stuff with it. In fact, the only people who have ever had a problem with me walking out with my wash-n-go are black people. They always make comments like "girl when you gonna comb your hair?" or "why you always walk out the house with your hair not done?".

White people never say anything like that to me and my family and other white people (classmates, coworkers, etc.) love my hair most when I don't do anything to it.

OT: What bus were you on? was it the 357? there was this lady who used to do her kids hair every day on the bus when I was on my way to school. she said she didn't have time before they left the house.

Hairsofab

Most white people I've known wash and style their hair everyday. It may not look like it to us but they do. Many wash and style too much imo.

kblc06

Yea, I am not saying that they necessarily never comb their hair even though I did use the word never, but than I contradicted myself too in the next paragraph when I talked about some of my friends who do comb their hair for certain occassions.

But, it just seems like for ladies especially here on LHCF we are very intentional about makign sure our hair is "presentable" "done" "comb" when we step out the house. And that doesn't mean some fly straight out the shop look.

But, I didn't just walk out the house with bed head or throw it in a ponytail. I moisturized and oiled it than put on a headband for a puff. I just don't see that same amount of work in the majority of the non-black people I see on this campus of 35,000. lol

Now, what we really need to do is a Confidence Interval and see if the proportion of comb heads and non comb heads is clinically significant. lol hAHA I just got out of my biostats class.

I'm taking a similar class this semester too, how ironic :lachen::lachen: When you said confidence interval, I immediately thought of a T-test, and the power of such an experiment

msa

the 305? I'm not surprised, not surprised at all lol. all kinds of things happen on the mta.

TrustMeLove

I'm taking a similar class this semester too, how ironic :lachen::lachen: When you said confidence interval, I immediately thought of a T-test, and the power of such an experiment

:lachen::lachen: Yep! I should do a test too. But, can't because this thread just proved that un combed hair doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't combed. The elements and such could have gotten to the hair before I see the folks at 12 noon. lol.

So that means I would actually have to talk to them regarding their hair...and that would be awkaward. This would be like doing a hypothesis test on categorical data values. Yes and No. 0 and 1. So we could really get to the bottom of this...hahaha.

TrustMeLove

the 305? I'm not surprised, not surprised at all lol. all kinds of things happen on the mta.

Have you ridden that bus from end to end. It's crazy. It goes from the lovely hills of westwood, past bel air, through sunset, beverley center to crenshaw and over there on slauson.

You really see how the RICH live and the Working Class. And where the rich live you see alot of latin women taking the bus who are their nanny's and house keepers. It's really really weird.

TrustMeLove

I am sure that they brush their hair op. Other folks aren't savages for goodness sake

:lachen::lachen: Savages..I don't think not combing your hair makes you a savage. Taken a little too personally. And I don't think my post suggested any such thing. :nono:

Savage: a member of an uncivilized people, barbarians.

That would make me one on certain saturdays when I really stay in the house and CHILL and that does not include combing my hair. lol

stixx

All I know is that the 'out of bed hair look' has been very popular among white ppl recently, most white teenagers over here either tease their hair or have dreadlocks
This is definitely the trend where I am as well. I get more compliments from my white friends when I literally roll out of bed and go than when I actually try to style it. It's all about looking like you don't have to try to look good (even though we all clearly do).

Last edited:

TrustMeLove

This is definitely the trend where I am as well. I get more compliments from my white friends when I literally roll out of bed and go than when I actually try to style it. It's all about looking like you don't have to try to look good (even though they clearly do).

I get the how did you get your hair to do that..it is so cool! :lachen::lachen:

And it's usually when I use to do wash n go's. And of course I'm all cool and say oh this is just how my hair is after I wash it. And they are in complete amazement and AWWW! HEHEEHEHE!

I have some corkscrews...so they think I have set my hair on rods or something. Even black folks some time too.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

:lachen::lachen: Savages..I don't think not combing your hair makes you a savage. Taken a little too personally. And I don't think my post suggested any such thing. :nono:

Savage: a member of an uncivilized people, barbarians.

That would make me one on certain saturdays when I really stay in the house and CHILL and that does not include combing my hair. lol

I tried not to laugh at your response but I couldn't help myself. I didn't take your post personal but that is the tone I got from it. My mistake. To me when one has "unkempt, greasy, tangled, uncombed hair" it is very uncivilized so my bad for projecting my thoughts into your words :blush:

JustKiya

I never get any negative comments from non black people either. But, there are threads and threads from nappies worried about how to wear their hair while on the job? For that interview? For a, b, or c. What will be presentable? Bun it. Twist it up. Straighten it...Because they are concerned what type of affect it will have on their upward mobility, work environment, or just getting the job.

So yes dominant society still influences black hair "good, bad, acceptable, not acceptable" for the reasons above.

But - and I'm speaking to the interview bits - who are they hearing telling them that their natural hair isn't presentable? It's other black people, who are still trapped in the mindset that natural = unprofessional. I truly don't think dominant society cares nearly as much as we would seem to like to believe they do. :look:

Personally, I think that - reason - is offered a lot, because it used to be true.

And even then, I'm not sure how much dominant society decided that our hair should be straight, or whether we decided that our hair should be straight because we assumed/believed that is what the dominant society wanted of us - or, because we were just trying to mimic them, however we could. *shrug*

I don't know. I really do believe we make it a bigger deal than anyone else does. Or even cares about.

Someone on another board was talking about a research project that they did for school - seeing how black hair was portrayed in the media. In mainstream media (national commercials/print ads) it was roughly a 60/40 split - with the natural side benefiting. In black magazines/publications, however, it was more of a 85/15 split - with straight hair predominating. :look: What does that seem to imply to you? Seems to me that it's not the domininant society that has the 'issues', is all I'm saying. :sad:

oldcrayons

Eh, it's class. I don't touch my hair either when I go to school. School is for ***** uggs and looking like crap.

TrustMeLove

I tried not to laugh at your response but I couldn't help myself. I didn't take your post personal but that is the tone I got from it. My mistake. To me when one has "unkempt, greasy, tangled, uncombed hair" it is very uncivilized so my bad for projecting my thoughts into your words :blush:

The way you describe uncivilized would make my post seem like it was calling them savages..so I understand. I was just describing what I saw. But, from this thread folks are dropping knowledge..and describing that the elements might make their hair seem uncombed.

But, I lived in the dorms on a campus with 3% black student population. So I know folks washed their hair and had brushes, combs, styling products.

However, my experience living in such tight quarters and seeing folks daily habits ...was that the black people I was around were more deliberate it seemed in daily hair upkeep. Where as my other friends and roommates didn't have to be so intentional about their hair upkeep. Ya know? Like we are silk scarf out before bed, moisturizing, sealing, rolling, wrapping, pin curling. LOL

My other friends were just sleeping. And than ponytailing it. lol That's all.

I understand some folks are mixed on this board and have mixed families so I am in no way calling folks dirty. Just pointing out an observation that it seems like we have to be more intentional. But, that has proven to not be completely true due to the responses in this thread from other peoples experiences.

msa

Someone on another board was talking about a research project that they did for school - seeing how black hair was portrayed in the media. In mainstream media (national commercials/print ads) it was roughly a 60/40 split - with the natural side benefiting. In black magazines/publications, however, it was more of a 85/15 split - with straight hair predominating. :look: What does that seem to imply to you? Seems to me that it's not the domininant society that has the 'issues', is all I'm saying. :sad:

I had a friend who did a very similar project in undergrad and she had pretty much the same results.

Come to think of it, in all the slave narratives I've ever read I've never seen that we were forced to straighten our hair. I think we have been convinced that "white is right" in all areas by the dominant group, but how we internalized it and acted on it has been our choice, when it comes to hair anyway.

And I have to say, the next black person that comes up to me talking about "when are you gonna do something to that head?" might just get smacked:wallbash: ok not really, but I am tired of being insulted by my own people.

lilsparkle825

the yt girls around here DEFINITELY do. i was walking down the sidewalk on monday when this girl whipped out a comb and started combing her hair while she was walking. it was odd.

msa

The way you describe uncivilized would make my post seem like it was calling them savages..so I understand. I was just describing what I saw. But, from this thread folks are dropping knowledge..and describing that the elements might make their hair seem uncombed.

But, I lived in the dorms on a campus with 3% black student population. So I know folks washed their hair and had brushes, combs, styling products.

However, my experience living in such tight quarters and seeing folks daily habits ...was that the black people I was around were more deliberate it seemed in daily hair upkeep. Where as my other friends and roommates didn't have to be so intentional about their hair upkeep. Ya know? Like we are silk scarf out before bed, moisturizing, sealing, rolling, wrapping, pin curling. LOL

I understand some folks are mixed on this board and have mixed families so I am in no way calling folks dirty. Just pointing out an observation that it seems like we have to be more intentional. But, that has proven to not be completely true due to the responses in this thread from other peoples experiences.

I have to agree with you on that. Deliberate is a good way to describe it. My family members still don't understand why I have to tie up my hair at night since they can just go to sleep without a second thought.

TrustMeLove

But - and I'm speaking to the interview bits - who are they hearing telling them that their natural hair isn't presentable? It's other black people, who are still trapped in the mindset that natural = unprofessional. I truly don't think dominant society cares nearly as much as we would seem to like to believe they do. :look:

Personally, I think that - reason - is offered a lot, because it used to be true.

And even then, I'm not sure how much dominant society decided that our hair should be straight, or whether we decided that our hair should be straight because we assumed/believed that is what the dominant society wanted of us - or, because we were just trying to mimic them, however we could. *shrug*

I don't know. I really do believe we make it a bigger deal than anyone else does. Or even cares about.

Napp is having a comeback. It is becoming light weight exotic. And no I honestly believe that dominant society has played a major roll in black hair being straight. And it has become engrained in some of us...long flowy hair is beautiful (and it is), but nap is bad. Just like white is right...

Assimilation. Trying to assimilate into the dominant society. Every culture does it, but they do it in different ways. Ancient elimination, blonde hair, stop speaking your native language (I know latin people who can't speak a lick of spanish, but their parents speak it extremely well. They just didn't want their kids to be held back so they didn't teach them).

I remember someone talking about their job interview on here...and how the interviewers lost their minds and started talking about the ladies hair in the interview. This was for a law firm. She was a lawyer.

And they said oh we like how you keep your hair really neat. What? :nono:
Not like the other lady we had here before you. She just wore it really big. I guess they were talking about her fro or twist out. Needless to say the lady walked out of the interview.

JustKiya

I had a friend who did a very similar project in undergrad and she had pretty much the same results.

Come to think of it, in all the slave narratives I've ever read I've never seen that we were forced to straighten our hair. I think we have been convinced that "white is right" in all areas by the dominant group, but how we internalized it and acted on it has been our choice, when it comes to hair anyway.

And I have to say, the next black person that comes up to me talking about "when are you gonna do something to that head?" might just get smacked:wallbash: ok not really, but I am tired of being insulted by my own people.

And that's kinda my point. I remember reading about our hair being cut off, and our styling tools being taken from us - but straightened? No. Hrm. I could be totally wrong, though, I don't know.

I'm know there are a least a couple of good scholarly (or I would hope :look:) books on our hair and it's history. I might have to break down and buy and read a couple, just to see how off (or on) I am....

Napp is having a comeback. It is becoming light weight exotic. And no I honestly believe that dominant society has played a major roll in black hair being straight. And it has become engrained in some of us...long flowy hair is beautiful (and it is), but nap is bad. Just like white is right...

Assimilation. Trying to assimilate into the dominant society. Every culture does it, but they do it in different ways. Ancient elimination, blonde hair, stop speaking your native language (I know latin people who can't speak a lick of spanish, but their parents speak it extremely well. They just didn't want their kids to be held back so they didn't teach them).

I remember someone talking about their job interview on here...and how the interviewers lost their minds and started talking about the ladies hair in the interview. This was for a law firm. She was a lawyer.

And they said oh we like how you keep your hair really neat. What?
Not like the other lady we had here before you. She just wore it really big. I guess they were talking about her fro or twist out. Needless to say the lady walked out of the interview.

I do agree, it has played a role - but I'm not sure what kind - a direct role, or an internally generated role, ya know? One is about their expressed (not assumed) perception/judgment of us, the other is about our perception/judgment of ourselves.

About the interview - that's interesting (and sad), because if someone told me that a black woman wore her hair big, in a negative way, I would assume it was one of those stacked and shellacked styles. Natural is usually termed wild. And, without having seen (or heard a definite description of) the first woman's hair - all I can say is they liked the hair style the second lady was definitely wearing.

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Due to our extremely different texture we have to do that to maintain our silky do's and curly styles and they don't (i hate them for that :lachen:) so i can see where you are coming from. I am sure that errybody has moments when they comb and moments when their give a _ _ _ _ is busted :lachen:.

Truth be told there are days when I sure do wish I could just roll up out of bed and smooth my hair into a ponytail :look: I have started rebelling at night and NOT wearing my scarf to bed when my hair is in it's wash and go phase like right now-HMPH!

ladylibra

well OP, you are talking about a college campus. i remember rolling out of bed half an hour before my early a.m. classes freshman year, taking a quick shower and throwing on dorm pants and an oversized long-sleeved shirt with my hair in the same ponytail from the night before wrapped into a "who gives a crap" bun.

many of the black girls kept their doo-rags on in my 8 a.m. bio class. we. did. not. care. :lachen:

now the glaring difference i noticed between black and white girls in this area is - after a certain point in the day, the black girls would eventually get around to fixing themselves up... putting on make-up, doing their hair, dressing nicely. basically not spending the day looking like we rolled out of bed, like the white girls did. i had 2 early a.m. classes and then 2 late afternoon/evening classes. i'd go back home, take a nap, get up and truly get ready for the day.

i can't speak for all Asian women, but i did have one half-Japanese half-white dorm mate who got up early and literally spent half an hour just putting on her eye makeup. :look: she would not be caught dead with a naked face and unkempt hair... very much a girly-girl. and i do mean always. i could almost swear she'd sleep in her make-up just so nobody would know what she looked like without it :lol:

Latin women? no general observations i can make there...

TrustMeLove

well OP, you are talking about a college campus. i remember rolling out of bed half an hour before my early a.m. classes freshman year, taking a quick shower and throwing on dorm pants and an oversized long-sleeved shirt with my hair in the same ponytail from the night before wrapped into a "who gives a crap" bun.

many of the black girls kept their doo-rags on in my 8 a.m. bio class. we. did. not. care. :lachen:

now the glaring difference i noticed between black and white girls in this area is - after a certain point in the day, the black girls would eventually get around to fixing themselves up... putting on make-up, doing their hair, dressing nicely.
basically not spending the day looking like we rolled out of bed, like the white girls did. i had 2 early a.m. classes and then 2 late afternoon/evening classes. i'd go back home, take a nap, get up and truly get ready for the day.

i can't speak for all Asian women, but i did have one half-Japanese half-white dorm mate who got up early and literally spent half an hour just putting on her eye makeup. :look: she would not be caught dead with a naked face and unkempt hair... very much a girly-girl. and i do mean always. i could almost swear she'd sleep in her make-up just so nobody would know what she looked like without it :lol:

Latin women? no general observations i can make there...

I am not going to front. This is the truth. The Bolded. I had a 9:30 am class that was in the DORMS what a block away? I would wake up 9:10..quick shower, sweats, and might wear a fashionable scarf if I didn't want to unwrap my hair. But, I also had braids alot too so my hair was cool....lol After class head right back up the my room and get dress.

Not until I moved off campus did I have to start FULLY getting dressed before I left the house.

My close friend was like your roommmate too. If she wore a ponytail that ponytail was slicked back something fierce. No fly away hair or nada. If her hair wasn't straight and bumped or curled..she would bun it. And it would not just look all loosey goosey. It had to be styled.

IT HONESTLY IS PROBABLY JUST COLLEGE LIFE. Folks just doing well to make it to class. HAHAHA! Nevermind what the hair looks like.

glamazon386

Even that's debatable with all the cowashing, wash and gos and wet bunning going on around these parts. I think it's all relative. Compared to my weekly and biweekly salon appointment days my hair the past few years has certainly looked unkempt unless I was wearing a wig or weave. Real talk. My homemade/DIY styles never look as good as salon hairstyles. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way. I rarely feel like my hair is "done" persay. And for that reason I am thinking about relaxing my hair. :look:

But it really depends on whose looking/commenting. Obviously dirty hair is going to look unkempt but I mean how else do other ethnicities really wear their hair besides up and down anyway? Just like we have black folk who don't comb/do anything with their hair they have white (or whatever other group) folk who put a lot of time and effort into theirs. My supervisor does more to her hair in the morning (wash, blow dry and then flat iron/style) every day than I do mine (I usually just take my bonnet off and go). But you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it. And she gets her hair cut and highlighted every 6 weeks like clockwork. But her hair never looks on point like it was just freshly done. I can always tell by looking at white folks hair who takes care of theirs, gets good haircuts, etc. and who doesn't. All you have to do is observe. Maybe there's just an influx of I don't care people on your campus? College students tend to be low maintenance anyway bc many are trying to cut corners/save money. I know I did. The "broke college student" concept had to come from somewhere.

Also another thing - Many people look at natural hair and think of it as being unkempt. Now of course I know it takes a lot of energy to get my hair in a fro, twist out, bun, etc (and a lot of times it does not turn out they way I wanted it to after putting so much time and work in) but some people are still going to look at natural hair and think damn when is she going to get her hair done? :look: I just stopped caring. If they're not paying for me to get my hair done their opinion doesn't matter. Even SO.

yuriko

I don't really think most of the other races care that much for combing. I think that most white, indian, latina women don't comb, they brush their hair instead. I think Brushing is better for styling, but may be more damaging on the hair, and thats why black people comb instead.
Every asian woman I know washes and combs her hair everyday. I don't know where you are, but over where I live, other races may wear their hair in a simple style, but its definitely brushed or combed