white ppl weave checking?

niqu92

So right now I'm at this restaurant called Chow Baby in atl.while I was waiting in line tell me why I overheard this white family behind me debating whether my hair is real or not.the daughter kept saying no and the dad kept saying yes it was real and the daughter replied saying my hair was too shiny to be real(I just got my hair done today).I was standing there like wth...but I didn't say anything.people always weave check me and ask if my hair is real so I'm used to it but this is the first time I've heard white people talking about my hair which is why I'm posting this. has anyone ever experienced white people talking your hair?or have white people ever weave checked you?maybe I'm overreacting but I just never knew they actually cared about our hair like that to actually analyze it and debate whether its real or not :perplexed

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
So right now I'm at this restaurant called Chow Baby in atl.while I was waiting in line tell me why I overheard this white family behind me debating whether my hair is real or not.the daughter kept saying no and the dad kept saying yes it was real and the daughter replied saying my hair was too shiny to be real(I just got my hair done today).I was standing there like wth...but I didn't say anything.people always weave check me and ask if my hair is real so I'm used to it but this is the first time I've heard white people talking about my hair which is why I'm posting this. has anyone ever experienced white people talking your hair?or have white people ever weave checked you?maybe I'm overreacting but I just never knew they actually cared about our hair like that to actually analyze it and debate whether its real or not :perplexed

The same thing happened to me when I was on a cruise. I didn't say anything either but the wife dragged her husband away in embarrassment when she realized I could hear them. :lol: They are curious about many things in reference to black people, they just don't want you to know that they are. I got asked the weirdest questions by white people on that cruise when they were drunk :lol:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Most white ppl never say anything about my hair, especially on campus. There are just so many naturals here. But when I go home, I get a lot more curious stares/stare downs. The most I've ever gotten is, "How do you get it like that??" Now that I think of it, I only get questions when I'm home. But I'm never weave checked lol my hair isn't neeearly long enough for that. But the looks I get are kinda off though. I always wonder what they are thinking...

OP your hair is beautiful!!

When I had my hair in braid extensions (and I went to college where there was only 5% black student population) conversations would begin to evolve around my hair. And after awhile I had to learn to tell people to mindyo or I changed the topic.

Also, was the family talking reaaaally loudly? Or in hushed whispers? Either way I would have answered them though or gave a curious stare at them lol.

And OP your hair is fab!!

runwaydream

thats so freakin rude. one of my patients asked me if my hair was a weave. he was a white male. i had to take a deep breath and exhale before i forced myself to give a semi polite answer. if i wasnt at work i might have told him about himself.

Shadiyah

Now I would have had to say something or ran my hair through my hair and lift it up. I think I can take co workers because I kinda know them and have a conversation with them or I could but strangers and a whole family at that, I would have weaved checked myself right in their face.

londonjakki

~What is going on with these people? My coworker told me that a white coworker was saying that black women can't grow hair. So my coworker told her that my hair (I'm almost BSL) and another coworker (she has a natural curly afro about shoulder length) is our natural hair. Well she couldn't believe it. She stated that she thought all the black women were wearing wigs and weave.:blush: I asked the white coworker about it:lachen:, her face turned so red:lol: and she told me she didn't know what it was (my hair) but she didn't think it was real....OMG!!!! WTF!!! I mean who do these people think they are. Another white coworker was saying the same thing saying that black people have so many problems and that our hair can't grow. AMAZING!!!

Lita

I get that nonsense from white & Blacks (especially) if my hair is in a pony-tail..I do a hair flip then ignore ....

Op..Your hair is gorgeous keep growing & dismiss those fools...

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita

That darn Chris Rock movie (Good Hair) got them looking & checking... ..

happy Hair Growing!

kila82

lovegymnasts said:
Yes, white co-workers have asked if my hair was real or if it is all mine

Mine too and have no problem with touching my hair without asking...so very bold :/

Cherokee-n-Black

Wellll...it ain't like there aren't plenty of sista's out there (and in here :sekret:)reinforcing that belief. I swear I see mo' bad weave (I mean just totally unrealistic-looking, tracks showing, etc...) and awful wigs around my neighborhood (amidst all the naturals).

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
My white OLDER male coworker asked me if my bun was real, or if it was "a weave"..

He said he saw Good Hair and "Knew" that I did not seem like the type to throw away $500 on fake hair".. but that he was just checking..:perplexed

So yea blame Chris Rock.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

Yes, YT people have asked if my hair was real. Mostly females. I think the guys assume its real (I used to wear it short and have grown it out into a bob. Also if "I have cut my hair" when I go from striaght to a braidout/twist out.

niqu92

Most white ppl never say anything about my hair, especially on campus. There are just so many naturals here. But when I go home, I get a lot more curious stares/stare downs. The most I've ever gotten is, "How do you get it like that??" Now that I think of it, I only get questions when I'm home. But I'm never weave checked lol my hair isn't neeearly long enough for that. But the looks I get are kinda off though. I always wonder what they are thinking...

OP your hair is beautiful!!

When I had my hair in braid extensions (and I went to college where there was only 5% black student population) conversations would begin to evolve around my hair. And after awhile I had to learn to tell people to mindyo or I changed the topic.

Also, was the family talking reaaaally loudly? Or in hushed whispers? Either way I would have answered them though or gave a curious stare at them lol.

And OP your hair is fab!!

thnx guys but my siggy pic is from last year lol i cut it a couple wks ago right now its like 2in above bsl but this is the first time ive gotten weave checked since i cut it and who knew it would be from white ppl lol

I would have done a hair flip.

i really shouldve *sigh that wouldve set them straight because im too much of a sissy to actually say anything so a hair flip wouldve been perfect cause its silent but deadly lol

happy Hair Growing!

Yes, YT people have asked if my hair was real. Mostly females. I think the guys assume its real (I used to wear it short and have grown it out into a bob. Also if "I have cut my hair" when I go from striaght to a braidout/twist out.

i honestly never knew tht white women or white ppl in general were checking for out hair like that. i thought they didnt evn give a damn lol now it makes me wonder what white ppl actually think when they see a black chick with long hair. and chris rock didnt help with that movie either if white women thought all black ppl wore weaves before then they must deff think that now :nono:

niqu92

Wellll...it ain't like there aren't plenty of sista's out there (and in here :sekret:)reinforcing that belief. I swear I see mo' bad weave (I mean just totally unrealistic-looking, tracks showing, etc...) and awful wigs around my neighborhood (amidst all the naturals).

yeah that's true because i must admit that 70-80% of black women i see on a day-to-day basis, especially on campus, have horrible weaves, tracks, wigs, etc. so i can see why white ppl assume tht a majority of black women wear weaves but at the same time i didnt think they actually noticed..maybe i was being naiive all this time lol

CurlyMoo

Only once did I get asked if it was real and it was someone I was working with and it was many years ago when the weave revolution was taking off. I had my hair up with a black headband on, but it was very healthy looking. The other Black people started discussing hair and the White guy I was sitting next to asked if mine was real. I was surprised and wondered if that line of questioning would become normal since it's so personal.

White people are VERY much aware of our hair issues. We broadcast it to the world.

luckiestdestiny

happy Hair Growing!

I know! I really want to go up to Chris and say "Really Chris, Really!":rolleyes: Just cause his wife wears weaves does not mean we all do in order to have long hair (I realize that at lhcf there are protective styles. BUT to have long hair...like it's our only option?):spinning:

I had an experience last year but it was from a mexican lady, a graduate student at my school whom I guess since she thought we were associates (we'd gone out to lunch a few times after class)...she could just out and say it. I had flat ironed my hair and wore it down. I was getting compliments and she smirked and actually leaned in and said "Good Hair." Like she knew the secret.

I said, "Excuse me?"

She said, "You know. The movie." Like she had the inside scoop on me. I said, "So what are you saying?" But she wouldn't come out with it. So I continued "You do know that there are black people with long hair without weaves right?" She blushed and started mumbling some crap. '

I really hate that movie with a passion:spinning:

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

Yes ! Im natural and mostly in ps..twists ...i tried for thé first time à wig . For thé whole week i had "oh,you look so good,is it your hair ?..then they debat between themselves..."it is ,no its à weave..no its hér hair"... Then thé annoying part "can i touch ". I say no stay away from my hair,Touch WIth YOUR EYES !!! Some fools Touch anyway si i get rude .....like piss off.

When whites wear fake hair no one say à thing even When we know its fake..

zoromo

I do not like the messages that the movie put out. Yes, I wear weave from time to time(maye once or twice a year), but I do not want the world to know our hair experiences and controversies via a comedian. I have hair a little past nl and you all know that this is short by all standards...I usually wear my hair in a twist out or twisted/braided. There is this woman at my job that started off nice enough, but once she saw that movie boy, she was asking me about it like she already knew the scoop! One week I had flat ironed hair and she asked me was my hair real based on the info she saw in Good Hair! Are you kidding me, just because my short hair had body and looked good, it had to be fake GTHOH ( she and I have the same length b/c she keeps hers cut, but it did not look as good as mine did and she is like 60 yrs old, don't hate lady). That movie made ppl like her think she had inside info about us and that they could take liberties.

Ariana4000

Yes a white lady at work said she wanted to protective style under a wig so she could grow her hair out like I've done.

kasey

This is a little off topic but last year I was on a business trip in NYC and decided to get an authentic Indian head massage. When I showed up for the appointment the woman doing massages seemed surprised, afraid to go through with the appointment and touch my hair, which is normal 3C-4A hair, shoulder length. I don't know what she thought in the beginning but at the end of the appointment she was all smiles and invited me to come back. Hopefully I changed one person's misconceptions about AA women and hair.

AlwaysNatural

Yeah some guy cited good hair, as to me hating my hair because I had a weave in. Ugh I shut that Convo down. I was PS'ing. Then I was told if I want long hair why PS and not get locks. Ummm?

candy626

Hmm. I never experienced this. Most people in general just compliment me on my hair if they say anything about it at all. I mostly get reactions from white people when they see it curly, not so much straight.

Because my hair is prone to poofiness, I think most people know it's real, even when it gets long and when I have it straightened.

I wouldn't take it personally. I would take it as a compliment that your hair looks good and well maintained. Many people (black women included) are used to seeing black women with shorter tresses and hair that's not always healthy.

Also a lot of white, hispanic, and asian women wear weave now. I sometimes find myself questioning non-blacks girls with long hair if it's all theres because extensions have become so popular.

My Friend

Wanna stop white women weave checking in their tracks?

Look them over and determine what is appropriate...

Are your boobs fake? :look:

Do you get lip injections? :look:

Do you get Botox injections? :look:

Do you get fat from other parts of your body transferred to your butt? :look:

Do you throw up your food or just starve yourself? :look:

Your hair is so thin, raggedy and damaged to you want the number to my stylist? :look:

As your making one or more of the above statements, do not smile or bat a eye. Give that I'm concerned but I really don't give a damn look.