Who Has the Gift of a Singing Voice?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I used to have an above average voice but not the best (no Whitney). However, a few years ago I got acid reflux and now my voice is shot.

My younger sister has a fantastic singing voice (better than mine was) and I remember asking her the same thing about how it feels. Being able to sing well is such a great gift, imo.

What songs do you sing best?
I used to be very good at Mariah songs and EnVogue. I'm an alto/sorprano.

What is/are your favourite soug/s to sing?
I loved to sing "You're Vanishing" From Mariah, "Tell Me" From Groove Theory, "Me Myself & I" from Cheryl Pepsi Riley, "Do Me Baby" From Melisa Morgan, "Cassanova Brown" from Teena Marie, and still, "Here We Go" from Minnie Riperton

When did you or someone in your family notice your gift?
I remember being in 10th grade practicing for a school talent show in my bathroom. My sister came in the bathroom, but didn't see me because I was looking in the mirror behind a partician. She heard me sing and said "Wow, was that you!?" Do it again! She couldn't believe it, lol.

However my mom, from a very early age, always said that she didn't care for my singing and that I caterwauled. It didn't matter how many people told her that I had a good voice. She basically said that I sucked.
Many years later, she confessed to me that she did like my voice, but was jealous and didn't say so because she always wished that she could sing herself.

Unfortunately because of that, no matter how good people told me I was, there was a huge part of me that was very self consciousness about singing.

In what ways are you able to exercise your gift of singing?
I was in chorus, so I learned lots of vocal exercises and I would practice often just because I loved to sing. I'd even write songs.

(Note: Please don't feel 'hindered' to share if you sing outside of your Church -- no condemnation here) :Rose: ---Thanks for that :) But I could sing gospel too. Although, I couldn't do my favorite gospel song justice. It was Yolanda Adams. I forget what it's called. I think, something like "Have You Done What I've Asked Of You". Actually, I loved that whole album and would sing to it.

Did you ever take 'voice' lessons or was it just natural?
I guess I took voice lessons in chorus, i.e. the vocal exercises.

Do you sing lullabies or soft songs to your 'babies'/children?
Yes, when my niece was an infant and would cry, I would sing "I Can't Help It" from Michael Jackson and it would immediately put a smile on her face. It was remarkable.

Do you have videos or a YouTube of you singing? Do you like your videos? Can you share them here? I think it would be a blessing. :yep:
No. By the time I got into the YouTube phenonemon, my voice was already gone.

I just can't sing; my voice just never projected as a singer, it's just a low soft whisper. *shrugs* ... :cry3: :lol:
This is how my voice is now when I try to sing. It's more whispery or I sometimes just sing how ever and don't try at all, which sounds horrible. It's sad because people used to liken my voice to having a gospel sound.
Too bad I was so insecure about it.

:bighug:

You've been through a lot and you shared your heart in your post. I love your 'freedom' in song. Somehow, I believe that you will sing again. :yep:

Is this the Album and Song by Yolanda Adams? The video is on the far left, next to the lyrics of the song, "A Message to You".

http://batlyrics.com/a_message_to_you-lyrics-yolanda_adams.html

I see the love of God all in you Godyssey... It's right there, your love for God. :grouphug:

Shimmie

Staff member
Yes! That is the song! I love it so much and haven't heard it in years! Thank you Shimmie for posting that and your kind words. :)

:bighug:

I'm glad this is the song. It speaks your heart. :yep: One day, you will sing it and give life to those who hear you. The life and love of God who dwells deeply within your heart.

Blessings Godyssey ... :love3:

Pooks

I have always been singing from a very young age in my local church, helped lead the choirs in my church and now I still on my own and in praise and worship teams in church settings. I 100% believe (and have been told) I have a talent that God has blessed me with, in turn use to bless OTHERS with. I used to be shy about singing, but as I developed a relationship with God I realised it was not about ME, it was about Him, giving Him all the glory with everything he gave me, and blessing others.

So, those of you who sing, how does it feel when you sing? I can only imagine that it has to be a blessing to have such a gift. :yep:

It feels awesome, like I am truly fulfilling a God-given purpose when I minister in song. Just singing anything, and truly ministering a song under the anointing of the Holy Spirit are worlds apart, and when I do the latter, the feeling is incomparable to just singing any old thing... I feel like I am giving my best to God, and so blessed that what I do is able to uplift and impact others in a positive way. Sometimes I feel my whole body is singing, I just wanna take off!

What songs do you sing best?
Slow solo songs, praise and worship, reggae and calypso choruses

What is/are your favourite song/s to sing?
I love singing all kinds of contemporary and some more traditional gospel music. Also, there are times when nothing at all beats a good old time hymn. One of my favourite songs to sing recently is 'You are God Alone' by Philips, Craig & Dean. Most amazing lyrics, and if sung with the reality, ushers the people of God into worship in such an awesome way.

When did you or someone in your family notice your gift?
Umm, when I was a toddler I used to stand at the top of the stairs singing lyricless songs with high notes and huge drawn out notes like baby opera! :lachen: How do I know this for a fact? I sure don't have those memories, but my mom used to record me, and every so often she reminisces and pulls out the tapes, lol. I was always singing from a child. Always.

In what ways are you able to exercise your gift of singing?
Covered this above

(Note: Please don't feel 'hindered' to share if you sing outside of your Church -- no condemnation here) :Rose:
I used to perform in secular talent showcases and competitions in my late teens, even won 500 GBP in one once.

Did you ever take 'voice' lessons or was it just natural?
I went to community run vocal lessons over about 2/3 years in my teens, that helped me with the performance side more than singing - I always knew how to open my mouth, close my eyes and sing from my heart in church, but that didn't make me the best performer when I was singing in secular settings.

Do you sing lullabies or soft songs to your 'babies'/children?
I surely will, God willing. :)

Do you have videos or a YouTube of you singing? Do you like your videos? Can you share them here? I think it would be a blessing. :yep:
When I was dealing with my recent loss I made my first video where I sang and shared a scripture with my viewers on YT. It had been a loooong time coming, and I was apprehensive about putting this part of me out 'there' but I felt I really needed to do it.

Here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXaNNXHihw

When my mom was anxious, I would just talk to her very softly in a prayer and/or scripture and it would always calm her down and relax her. I have a knack for putting people in my family to sleep... :sleep: :lol:

I can imagine you with skill that can't be taught... :yep:

Shimmie

Staff member
I have always been singing from a very young age in my local church, helped lead the choirs in my church and now I still on my own and in praise and worship teams in church settings. I 100% believe (and have been told) I have a talent that God has blessed me with, in turn use to bless OTHERS with. I used to be shy about singing, but as I developed a relationship with God I realised it was not about ME, it was about Him, giving Him all the glory with everything he gave me, and blessing others.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful video, a beautiful voice with God's gift of love flowing from your heart. You've blessed me and I'm so happy that I couldn't sing, for I would have never shared this thread.

Praise God and I'm looking forward to your video lullabies, singing your babies to sleep. :sleep2: In Jesus' name, Amen and Amen. So shall it be. Amen.

stephluv

Okkkkkkk Pooks you better saaaaaaaaaaaaaaangggggg boo!!!!- this is how i felt after I heard the first few seconds lol

Thank you for this thread Shimmie I was blessed by it

Shimmie

Staff member
Okkkkkkk Pooks you better saaaaaaaaaaaaaaangggggg boo!!!!- this is how i felt after I heard the first few seconds lol

Thank you for this thread Shimmie I was blessed by it

You're so very welcome Princess stephluv :love2:

Now I gotta practice ...

Clears throat: :look:

"Shimmie sings" Do ra me fa so te la ... Doooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Whew! That's a stretch. :lol:

JaneBond007

I'm a shower singer....should you EVER hear me sing in church? Let the church say "NO!" LOL. I can carry a tune because I am musical (piano) but I don't have "the voice" at all. I've always wanted to sing like that but I don't have it. :sad:

Shimmie

Staff member
I'm a shower singer....should you EVER hear me sing in church? Let the church say "NO!" LOL. I can carry a tune because I am musical (piano) but I don't have "the voice" at all. I've always wanted to sing like that but I don't have it. :sad:

:lol: I've always wanted to sing as well. I think it has to do with the way I'm not breathing. I've yet to connect with my diaphram.

I can sing in low tones, a soprano I'll never be. :blush:

I can dance, though. :woot: :reddancer: :happydance: