Who here air dries while roller setting?

Ladylynn

and if so... what products do you use on your hair? Do you air dry overnight? How long does it take your hair to air dry? I'm asking because I currently roller set twice a week and air-dry overnight. I don't mind sleeping in rollers, and I clip the rollers together so the clamps aren't shifting and tugging on my wet hair while I sleep. I am having a problem however with drying time. It takes my hair about 12-13 hours to air dry. I normally use some type of oil on my hair when it's wet, then I will spray S curl no drip on each section as I roll. I love the way my hair feels when it's finally dry but it takes so long. I'm thinking about purchasing mesh rollers because I hear that drying time is faster. I'm afraid when I sleep on these at night the mesh lines will form on my hair. Some one please help! Can anyone recommend a way to make air-drying faster, i.e. products, techniques, rollers? I absolutely will not go under my hard bonnet dryer. I consider that the death dome, it's so hot I can't stand it. Plus air-drying in my opinion is healthier for my hair. Thanks ladies.

I've been doing that since I first came to LHCF. I found airdrying overnight to be best for my schedule. That way it was dry in the morning if I slept 7-8 hours. I also rolled my hair towards the back in large, 3" magnetic rollers so I could sleep on my sides comfortably.

Last month, I purchased a hard bonnet ION dryer which has a "cool setting". It also has 3 heat settings. Since I don't use heat, using the cool setting is just like airdrying and speeds up the drying time. I airdry with my hard bonnet dryer. It takes approximately 3 1/2 hours to dry this way. If I get started washing and conditioning my hair later than usual at night, then I'll have to do the overnight thing again.

When I use to rollerset and let it airdry...
I used Motions Nourish leave-in to detangle and applied Salerm 21 to each section of my hair before rolling it up with magnetic rollers.
I would wash and roll up my hair in the evening and let it airdry overnight. (I usually did this on Friday night because I usually don't have to go anywhere Saturday).
It takes my hair about 12-14 hours to completely dry.
A way to dry faster, use larger magnetic rollers. Also, some ladies here use mesh rollers which I have not tried yet.
HTH! :antlers:

Ladylynn said:
I absolutely will not go under my hard bonnet dryer. I consider that the death dome, it's so hot I can't stand it. Plus air-drying in my opinion is healthier for my hair. Thanks ladies.

I am 4b relaxed and use to take 12 to 14 hours to air dry my rollersets until I had an epiphany -- use the "cool" setting on my hood dryer -- I now take 3 hours to dry my hair on "cool" with absolutely NO heat and my drying time is down to a more manageable time frame. It has been an absolute blessing, PLUS I find my ends are smoother and less fuzzy with the "cool" setting then when I air dried. There was a tread about this a few months ago and it MAY be something for you to think about -- get a hood dryer with "cool" setting -- Sally sells them for about $40.

Neroli said:
I am 4b relaxed and use to take 12 to 14 hours to air dry my rollersets until I had an epiphany -- use the "cool" setting on my hood dryer -- I now take 3 hours to dry my hair on "cool" with absolutely NO heat and my drying time is down to a more manageable time frame. It has been an absolute blessing, PLUS I find my ends are smoother and less fuzzy with the "cool" setting then when I air dried. There was a tread about this a few months ago and it MAY be something for you to think about -- get a hood dryer with "cool" setting -- Sally sells them for about $40.
Thanks so much for this tip. I think that I will try this, because I believe that airdrying is making my hair unmanageable, frizzy and prone to breakage.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks so much for this tip. I think that I will try this, because I believe that airdrying is making my hair unmanageable, frizzy and prone to breakage.

It's definately worth a try -- I can't say enough about how much smoother my hair comes out, not to mention the fact that I can do the no heat thing without being confined to the house ALL DAY! I never mastered the art of sleeping in rollers so the overnight drying thing was not an option . . .

Do give feedback on how you like. I think Isis is another LCHF member that went from airdrying to cool drying and loves it . . .

This "cool drying" is THE secret to my healthy, thick, long hair -- others struggling with "air drying" whether its the frizzy ends or just the whole time issue, may find this to be the slam dunk for avoiding heat and still rock a smooth bouncy style without giving up whole days and weekends . . .

I dry on the cool to warm setting at the salon and it works for me--my hair dries in 20 mins. I can't stand hot dryers either but the cools setting may be an idea if I am in a hurry.

I airdry my rollersets and it takes about 2 hours to totally dry..I guess because its so fine, and only a little past my shoulder.

Isis said:
I've been doing that since I first came to LHCF. I found airdrying overnight to be best for my schedule. That way it was dry in the morning if I slept 7-8 hours. I also rolled my hair towards the back in large, 3" magnetic rollers so I could sleep on my sides comfortably.

Last month, I purchased a hard bonnet ION dryer which has a "cool setting". It also has 3 heat settings. Since I don't use heat, using the cool setting is just like airdrying and speeds up the drying time. I airdry with my hard bonnet dryer. It takes approximately 3 1/2 hours to dry this way. If I get started washing and conditioning my hair later than usual at night, then I'll have to do the overnight thing again.
Isis, Sylver's method came out well on you. Do you have any tips for us?

Thanks ladies so much for the tips. I will definitely try to air dry on cool. My hair dryer that I have has a cool setting. :D

I airdry my hair over night. I have my Mom rollerset my hair every week, because I suck with self setting. I detangle with the Motions Nourish Leave In, and my hair is dry by morning. I contribute this to my gray mesh rollers and metal duck bill clips, and the fact that my Mom makes small parts. When I was using magnetic rollers with the covers, my hair took about 12 hours to dry also. Now that I have the mesh, my hair dries significantly faster.

Starian said:
I airdry my hair over night. I have my Mom rollerset my hair every week, because I suck with self setting. I detangle with the Motions Nourish Leave In, and my hair is dry by morning. I contribute this to my gray mesh rollers and metal duck bill clips, and the fact that my Mom makes small parts. When I was using magnetic rollers with the covers, my hair took about 12 hours to dry also. Now that I have the mesh, my hair dries significantly faster.

Starian, does the mesh rollers leave prints on your hair when you sleep in the rollers? I'm afraid I might wake up with mesh lines throughout my hair.

I don't get prints from the rollers themselves. Occasionally, I get a little indentation from placing the clips in the wrong spot, but it's eeasily remedied by placing the clip underneath the roller and not over it.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Isis, Sylver's method came out well on you. Do you have any tips for us?
Thank you Tryn2growmyhair and I'm still learning Sylver's scarf method. What I can see so far is when I do not comb out my rollerset afterwards (like the pic in my signature) and continue wearing the scarf to bed while my hair is in this style, it seems to be as protective as wearing a braidout - more so for me since I always rollerset first (to straighten and smooth) and then braid my hair for a braidout. Leaving my hair alone with Sylver's method is interesting to me and the first time I've worn my rollerset as is.

The main tip I have is to look at her demonstration pics and try it. Realize that the satin scarf is another important tool to straighten, smooth and keep moisture in the hair, not just to wear on our heads when going to sleep.

Neroli said:
It's definately worth a try -- I can't say enough about how much smoother my hair comes out, not to mention the fact that I can do the no heat thing without being confined to the house ALL DAY! I never mastered the art of sleeping in rollers so the overnight drying thing was not an option . . .

Do give feedback on how you like. I think Isis is another LCHF member that went from airdrying to cool drying and loves it . . .

This "cool drying" is THE secret to my healthy, thick, long hair -- others struggling with "air drying" whether its the frizzy ends or just the whole time issue, may find this to be the slam dunk for avoiding heat and still rock a smooth bouncy style without giving up whole days and weekends . . .
I agree with everything Neroli said! :yep:

Back