Who's Up For a Challenge? Read one chapter a day in the book of Proverbs.....

PinkPebbles

Ladies-

The benefit of this challenge would allow us the opportunity to renew our minds daily, give us insight on what pleases God, and help us to apply some of the knowledge in Proverbs to our very own personal lives.

This challenge would consist that we set time aside each day to read and meditate on one chapter in the book of Proverbs. Since there are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs the challenge would be for 31 days.

Each day one of us would post the chapter for the day. And we could feel free to expound on any verse(s) and share how a verse has blessed us.

So Who's Up for the Challenge!?! :yay:We could end 2009 with renewed hearts and minds, strengthened, encouraged, and wiser!:knight:

The challenge would begin on November 16th and end on December 16th.

Here is a little history that I found on the book of Proverbs.....

King Solomon is the principal writer of Proverbs. During his reign as king, the nation of Israel reached its pinnacle spiritually, politically, culturally, and economically. As Israel's reputation soared, so did King Solomon's. Foreign dignitaries from the far reaches of the known world traveled great distances to hear the wise monarch speak (1 Kings 4:34).

Knowledge is nothing more than an accumulation of raw facts, but wisdom is the ability to see people, events, and situations as God sees them. In the Book of Proverbs, Solomon reveals the mind of God in matters high and lofty and in common, ordinary, everyday situations, too. It appears that no topic escaped King Solomon's attention. Matters pertaining to personal conduct, sexual relations, business, wealth, charity, ambition, discipline, debt, child-rearing, character, alcohol, politics, revenge, and godliness are among the many topics covered in this rich collection of wise sayings.
**********************************************************************************

Challenge Syllabus for the book of Proverbs:

Nov 16th - Chapter 1
Nov 17th - Chapter 2
Nov 18th - Chapter 3
Nov 19th - Chapter 4
Nov 20th - Chapter 5
Nov 21st - Chapter 6

Nov 22nd - Chapter 7
Nov 23rd - Chapter 8
Nov 24th - Chapter 9
Nov 25th - Chapter 10
Nov 26th - Chapter 11
Nov 27th - Chapter 12
Nov 28th - Chapter 13

Nov 29th - Chapter 14
Nov 30th - Chapter 15
Dec 1st - Chapter 16
Dec 2nd - Chapter 17
Dec 3rd - Chapter 18
Dec 4th - Chapter 19
Dec 5th - Chapter 20

Dec 6th - Chapter 21
Dec 7th - Chapter 22
Dec 8th - Chapter 23
Dec 9th - Chapter 24
Dec 10th - Chapter 25
Dec 11th - Chapter 26
Dec 12th - Chapter 27

Dec 13th - Chapter 28
Dec 14th - Chapter 29
Dec 15th - Chapter 30
Dec 16th - Chapter 31

Last edited:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I do this now. I read the chapter that goes with the day of the week. So on the November 1st I read Prov. 1, the 2nd Prov 2, etc. I repeat each month and each time I get something new out of it. I read Prov along with whatever other bible reading I am doing at the time. Right now I am reading Acts and Joshua.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'm in, PinkPebbles... that's a great idea. Start date duly noted. :yep:

PinkPebbles

I do this now. I read the chapter that goes with the day of the week. So on the November 1st I read Prov. 1, the 2nd Prov 2, etc. I repeat each month and each time I get something new out of it. I read Prov along with whatever other bible reading I am doing at the time. Right now I am reading Acts and Joshua.

In the bolded that's what I love about reading the word of God! Always new insight and revelation...you could never get enough of it :grin:!

Aggie

Okay I'm in. I have been a little disappointed over how badly the haircare forum was going and I need to encourage myself in other ways and i cannot think of a better way than reading and meditating on God's word. Thanks PinkPebbles. This came just in time for me.

Ballerina_Bun

Okay I'm in. I have been a little disappointed over how badly the haircare forum was going and I need to encourage myself in other ways and i cannot think of a better way than reading and meditating on God's word. Thanks PinkPebbles. This came just in time for me.

I must have missed something :ohwell: Maybe that's a good thing.

Chrissy811

Sounds like at great idea count me in this is a crazy season in my life right now. I'm sure God has a word in there just for me.

LifeafterLHCF

Ok so I know this challenge isn't suppose to start until the 16th but I couldn't sleep and Im figthing the intimacy demon to night,so instead of sinning again I got up and read the 1st chapter of Proverbs and Romans.

I find Proverbs ch 1 very to the point about knowledge.I am a very knowledge driven person.I don't ever want to be seen as a dumb or foolish person even though I have done foolish things.The most griping part was 20-22 where it states wisdom is a she."Wisdom cries aloud in the street,in the markets she raises her voice
at the head of the noisy city gates she speaks
"How long,O simple ones,will you love being simple"ESV... this is very awakening to me because so many times I have wondered when will others wake up to their issues but I will go deeper,I have wondered when would I wake up to my issues? I'm excited to know that those who are eager to gain Godly knowledge and wisdom will reign the earth.I will no longer pity myself for not being the world's selected woman and rejoice in knowing Im God's selected woman.

I'm also understanding from this chapter that knowledge and wisdom are similar but not exacts in a sense.Knowledge is more fact base while wisdom supersceds knowledge by being able to apply it.For me knowledge has been a issue for me because I can often get caught up in the facts but wisdom that Im gaining is being able to know that I don't have to know everything before stepping out.And from Romans chapter one the rightheous walk by faith which means I can't always see or know what Im stepping into;I just have to believe God has this covered..Im so ready for you ladies to start posting when the challenge starts offically.

Butterfly08

I better subscribe to this. I fasted from outside media all last week except for news and completely forgot! :look: At least I haven't missed anything. Can't wait for this to begin! :drunk:

PinkPebbles

Ok so I know this challenge isn't suppose to start until the 16th but I couldn't sleep and Im figthing the intimacy demon to night,so instead of sinning again I got up and read the 1st chapter of Proverbs and Romans.

I find Proverbs ch 1 very to the point about knowledge.I am a very knowledge driven person.I don't ever want to be seen as a dumb or foolish person even though I have done foolish things.The most griping part was 20-22 where it states wisdom is a she."Wisdom cries aloud in the street,in the markets she raises her voice
at the head of the noisy city gates she speaks
"How long,O simple ones,will you love being simple"ESV... this is very awakening to me because so many times I have wondered when will others wake up to their issues but I will go deeper,I have wondered when would I wake up to my issues? I'm excited to know that those who are eager to gain Godly knowledge and wisdom will reign the earth.I will no longer pity myself for not being the world's selected woman and rejoice in knowing Im God's selected woman.

I'm also understanding from this chapter that knowledge and wisdom are similar but not exacts in a sense.Knowledge is more fact base while wisdom supersceds knowledge by being able to apply it.For me knowledge has been a issue for me because I can often get caught up in the facts but wisdom that Im gaining is being able to know that I don't have to know everything before stepping out.And from Romans chapter one the rightheous walk by faith which means I can't always see or know what Im stepping into;I just have to believe God has this covered..Im so ready for you ladies to start posting when the challenge starts offically.

:amen: Coco_Diva4....you shared some wisdom in your post! I eagerly wait to start this challenge as well! It's going to be an awesome experience for all of us! And part of the goal is for us to have renewed minds, a new perspective on life and on ourselves. We are going to soar like eagles!

I better subscribe to this. I fasted from outside media all last week except for news and completely forgot! :look: At least I haven't missed anything. Can't wait for this to begin! :drunk:

I'm excited that we are all fired up to start! As well as preparing our hearts and minds to recieve what the spirit of God is going to reveal to us through His word!

PinkPebbles

Proverb Ladies-

Our challenge is approaching soon...we begin on Monday the 16th:clapping:!
I added the challenge syllabus to the first page of this thread to help us stay on track!

Again, Welcome to the Challenge:)!

Laela

Ready when you are, PinkPebbles... I haven't seen the word syllabus since college days.. :laugh:

PinkPebbles

Good Morning...Let the Challenge begin:superbanana:!

Proverbs 1 (Amplified Bible)

The Purpose of Proverbs
1THE PROVERBS (truths obscurely expressed, maxims, and parables) of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2[a]That people may know skillful and godly [b]Wisdom and instruction, discern and comprehend the words of understanding and insight,
3Receive instruction in wise dealing and the discipline of wise thoughtfulness, righteousness, justice, and integrity,
4That prudence may be given to the simple, and knowledge, discretion, and discernment to the youth--
5The wise also will hear and increase in learning, and the person of understanding will acquire skill and attain to sound counsel [so that he may be able to steer his course rightly]--(A)
6That people may understand a proverb and a figure of speech or an enigma with its interpretation, and the words of the wise and their dark sayings or riddles.
7The reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is the beginning and the principal and choice part of knowledge [its starting point and its essence]; but fools despise skillful and godly Wisdom, instruction, and discipline.(B)
8My son, hear the instruction of your father; reject not nor forsake the teaching of your mother.
9For they are a [victor's] chaplet (garland) of grace upon your head and chains and pendants [of gold worn by kings] for your neck.

Warnings Against Violence
10My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent.(C)
11If they say, Come with us; let us lie in wait [to shed] blood, let us ambush the innocent without cause [and show that his piety is in vain];
12Let us swallow them up alive as does Sheol (the place of the dead), and whole, as those who go down into the pit [of the dead];
13We shall find and take all kinds of precious goods [when our victims are put out of the way], we shall fill our houses with plunder;
14Throw in your lot with us [they insist] and be a sworn brother and comrade; let us all have one purse in common--
15My son, do not walk in the way with them; restrain your foot from their path;
16For their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed blood.
17For in vain is the net spread in the sight of any bird!
18But [when these men set a trap for others] they are lying in wait for their own blood; they set an ambush for their own lives.
19So are the ways of everyone who is greedy of gain; such [greed for plunder] takes away the lives of its possessors.(D)

Results of Rejecting Wisdom
20[c]Wisdom cries aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the markets;
21She cries at the head of the noisy intersections [in the chief gathering places]; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:
22How long, O simple ones [open to evil], will you love being simple? And the scoffers delight in scoffing and [self-confident] fools hate knowledge?
23If you will turn (repent) and give heed to my reproof, behold, I [[d]Wisdom] will pour out my spirit upon you, I will make my words known to you.(E)
24Because I have called and you have refused [to answer], have stretched out my hand and no man has heeded it,(F)
25And you treated as nothing all my counsel and would accept none of my reproof,
26I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when the thing comes that shall cause you terror and panic--
27When your panic comes as a storm and desolation and your calamity comes on as a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you.
28Then will they call upon me [Wisdom] but I will not answer; they will seek me early and diligently but they will not find me.(G)
29Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord,(H)
30Would accept none of my counsel, and despised all my reproof,
31Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way and be satiated with their own devices.
32For the backsliding of the simple shall slay them, and the careless ease of [self-confident] fools shall destroy them.(I) 33But whoso hearkens to me [Wisdom] shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil.

PinkPebbles

5The wise also will hear and increase in learning, and the person of understanding will acquire skill and attain to sound counsel [so that he may be able to steer his course rightly]

This scripture ministered to my spirit this morning. I was debating whether or not I should go to graduate school.

In my profession I know that a MBA would open up more doors for me in the long run. I've noticed that the individual who are successful on my job, or run their business successfully continues to stay abreast and are able to take advantage of more opportunities.

8My son, hear the instruction of your father; reject not nor forsake the teaching of your mother.

9For they are a [victor's] chaplet (garland) of grace upon your head and chains and pendants [of gold worn by kings] for your neck.

I believe it's safe to say that God gives some of us spiritual parents; those who are seasoned in the word, and give godly counsel and advice. They speak the truth because they love and care for us. Sometimes the truth hurts but at the same time it prevents us from heading towards destruction.

In my childhood some of the spiritual parents were known as "Momma" or "Big Momma." Everyone respected and knew that Big Momma did not play. She said things that others were afraid to say but we all knew that Big Momma meant well and was full of love:blush3:.

My thoughts are written in blue.

Laela

Good morning!

My understanding of Proverbs is it explores Wisdom, which is exploratory in itself because there are so many different terms for it.

Like you, I also believe we are assigned Spiritual Mothers and Fathers(VERSE 8). Mine are my mom and my pastors...people who give good counsel and are truly concerned for our spiritual welfare, and as such, are given the highest regard in our lives.

VERSE 5 - Ever hear people say "I learn something new everyday?" This verse reminds me of that.

It says that these instructions on Wisdom are suitable for both the young and inexperienced, as well as the people who have much knowledge and understanding. I interpret that to mean the pursuit of wisdom is a journey. Paul said in Corinthians "We speak wisdom among them that are perfect." So even with complete wisdom, we still must seek wisdom in God. My mom is 62 and is still being blown away by what is being revealed to her in God's Word. Scriptures she's read time and time again brings revelation to her at later times, like when she fasts/consecrates or receives teachings from a different minister. :yep:

VERSE 10. If sinners entice thee, consent thou not. ] abt la al tobe, WILL-not. They can do thee no harm unless thy will join in with them.

God's eternal purpose with respect to man is that his will shall be free; or, rather, that the will, which is essentially FREE, shall never be forced nor be forceable by any power. Not even the devil himself can lead a man into sin till he consents. Were it not so, how could God judge the world?[/I] (Adam Clarke interpretation)

This verse stuck with me, because in the end, no matter what persuasions/influence from other or excuses we give ourselves, we cannot sin without wanting to do so. Free will. No one can make me sin.

Powerful verse!

PinkPebbles

Good morning!

VERSE 10. If sinners entice thee, consent thou not. ] abt la al tobe, WILL-not. They can do thee no harm unless thy will join in with them.

God's eternal purpose with respect to man is that his will shall be free; or, rather, that the will, which is essentially FREE, shall never be forced nor be forceable by any power. Not even the devil himself can lead a man into sin till he consents. Were it not so, how could God judge the world?[/I] (Adam Clarke interpretation)

This verse stuck with me, because in the end, no matter what persuasions/influence from other or excuses we give ourselves, we cannot sin without wanting to do so. Free will. No one can make me sin.

Powerful verse!

Laela - Great Points!

When I fell short and sinned, most of the time I knew it was wrong before I committed the actual sin. I was simply drawn away by my own lust and desires:yep:.

I'm in. Thanks!

JinaRicci - Welcome aboard:)!

PinkPebbles

Proverbs 2

Verse 1 -6 and 10 -11 stood out to me this morning!

1My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;

2So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;

5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

10When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;

11Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:

VERSE 1 - 6
This lets me know that it takes more than head knowledge to understand the heart of God. We need a personal relationship with the Lord. It takes devotion, commitment, and a willingness to learn.

When we seek the Lord, we will find Him. God loves to give wisdom, knowledge, and understanding to them that seek Him.

VERSE 10 - 11
It took me awhile to realize that I don't need to seek advice from the whole world. If I sit still for a minute and meditate on the word of God eventually the answers would come to me.

At this moment I would know what moves to make next; whether I should speak out or be silent; and ultimately be led to the right place and at the right time.

Laela

Morning PinkPebbles....

Where's the class? :peek:

Anyhoo, I read the second chapter last night. I understand from this chapter that seeking wisdom is simply applying common sense to God's perspective (Word) so we can make sound decisions that won't lead us down crooked paths --bad company or seeking counsel from ungoldy people, etc.. The victory God holds in store for those who seek wisdom:

Verses 7-9
He holds victory in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.

The word "faithful" stuck with me here... the dictionary says:
1 obsolete : full of faith
2 : steadfast in affection or allegiance : loyal
3 : firm in adherence to promises or in observance of duty : conscientious
4 : given with strong assurance : binding <a faithful promise>
5 : true to the facts, to a standard, or to an original <a faithful copy>

synonyms: faithful, loyal, constant, staunch, steadfast, resolute mean firm in adherence to whatever one owes allegiance. faithful implies unswerving adherence to a person or thing or to the oath or promise by which a tie was contracted <faithful to her promise>. loyal implies a firm resistance to any temptation to desert or betray <remained loyal to the czar>. constant stresses continuing firmness of emotional attachment without necessarily implying strict obedience to promises or vows <constant friends>

What would weaken my faith? It's a question I'd have to honestly ask myself when seeking God's face for answers in situations or in making decisions. I believe this is also an individual practice that won't necessarily apply to everyone else because everyone has their own spiritual weaknesses. :yep: It would be wise to know what they are.

PinkPebbles

Morning PinkPebbles....

Where's the class? :peek:

Anyhoo, I read the second chapter last night. I understand from this chapter that seeking wisdom is simply applying common sense to God's perspective (Word) so we can make sound decisions that won't lead us down crooked paths --bad company or seeking counsel from ungoldy people, etc.. The victory God holds in store for those who seek wisdom:

Verses 7-9
He holds victory in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.

The word "faithful" stuck with me here... the dictionary says:
1 obsolete : full of faith
2 : steadfast in affection or allegiance : loyal
3 : firm in adherence to promises or in observance of duty : conscientious
4 : given with strong assurance : binding <a faithful promise>
5 : true to the facts, to a standard, or to an original <a faithful copy>

synonyms: faithful, loyal, constant, staunch, steadfast, resolute mean firm in adherence to whatever one owes allegiance. faithful implies unswerving adherence to a person or thing or to the oath or promise by which a tie was contracted <faithful to her promise>. loyal implies a firm resistance to any temptation to desert or betray <remained loyal to the czar>. constant stresses continuing firmness of emotional attachment without necessarily implying strict obedience to promises or vows <constant friends>

What would weaken my faith? It's a question I'd have to honestly ask myself when seeking God's face for answers in situations or in making decisions. I believe this is also an individual practice that won't necessarily apply to everyone else because everyone has their own spiritual weaknesses. :yep: It would be wise to know what they are.

:amen: Laela!

I totally agree with you in the bolded.

Laela

Well, I look forward to reading other perspectives.. :yep: This is a great thread! :up:

Reminiscing

My favorite part of Chapter 2 is verses 12 through 15.

12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men,
from men whose words are perverse,

13 who leave the straight paths
to walk in dark ways,

14 who delight in doing wrong
and rejoice in the perverseness of evil,

15 whose paths are crooked
and who are devious in their ways.

It's goes along with what Laela said yesterday that no one is responsible for us sinning but ourselves. Sinning is free will. At times we say "The enemy was attacking me so hard I had no choice but to sin." We try to use weakness as an excuse but here in verse 12 God confirms that he gave us an out. We're not trapped under the hands of the enemy. God gave us wisdom and if we seek knowledge and understanding, TRUE wisdom of his word, we have all we need to fight off the enemy. I believe there is a scripture in the Bible for every problem we face. That's why we need to read and study so that we can be prepared to fight at all times.

This is a great thread. Can't wait to read Chapter 3 tonight! I feel wiser already. :grin: