Wisdom and the book of Proverbs; what is wisdom?

Innocent_Kiss

I've been wrestling with the same issues for a couple of years, now. My education and career, finances and business, etc Nothing your average 20 something year older wouldn't be concerned with. The problem is, I can't seem to figure things out. I feel lost and confused. I know I need direction. I've been reading out of the book of Proverbs for a couple of months. The scripture, acknowledge Him in all your ways and he will direct your path came to me one day, and that's when it hit me that I should not lean to my own understanding. I'm a fool for trying to figure it all out by myself in the first place. Anyway, the book of Proverbs talks SO MUCH about wisdom. God's word speaks of wisdom so highly! Proverbs 3:19 The lord by wisdom founded the earth, and by understanding he established the heavens. What really is wisdom, understanding, and knowledge?

Innocent_Kiss

Anyone?? I would like to know too

Well, I asked my parents and my dad said that wisdom is knowing what to do about a situation. Understanding is merely comprehension, how we interpret something. We simply ask God for wisdom. My mom used a marker for example. She told me to ask for the marker she was holding. I did, and she threw it to me. She said, "now, what do you say?" I said thank you. She said thank God for his wisdom, even before you get the epiphany/breakthrough/direction (which is having faith). Say thank you in expectation that God will give you wisdom and direct your path. In this, you acknowledge God in all your ways. I was browsing through the forum and someone explained prayer so beautifully to me. She highlighted the fact, that if we were talking to a friend, we wouldn't just get up and leave before they responded. That's rude! After praying, sit in meditation and wait for his answer.

Miosy

I think you can get different definitions of wisdom but to me its about understanding God's Words and being a "doer" of the Word. Following wisdom in all areas of your life especially when you come upon a trial and you have to decide on the correct choice-when you choose correctly according to His Word-that's Wisdom acting in your life :) When we make the wrong choice I think that's our own fleshly desires :(

So to me wisdom is knowing God's Word, understanding it and acting on it in every decision we make in life

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

I need to start reading and really studying proverbs. I too have been feeling lost and confused and ready to give up and throw in the towel. I got mad at God, like Jacob and told him that I would not let go until he told me something. I mean, I was mad, frustrated, hurt, sickened, nauseated. All because I feel like I am just out here and I had started feeling like God had some secret that he felt I wasn't worthy of knowing. Well, today at church, God spoke. The sermon was on Psalm 121. the alter call was amazing, God tapped on my heart and said, that is for you, go up there. Just keep your eyes on God and know that whether or not you know the plan, he has a plan for you. If you find yourself repeating the same things over and over, ask God why. . .It's like a test for your driver license, you have to keep taking it until you pass. What are you repeating? Are you failing each time? Are you relying on God to get you through or are you relying on yourself? Let God. Let him point you in the right direction, let him make miracles on your behalf, let him move the obstacles out of the way, let him show you hidden doors that you didn't even know existed. let God do what he says he will do in Psalm 121

GypsyGoddess

Psalm 111:10, Proverbs 1:7, and Proverbs 9:10 all state that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. I believe that recognizing and acknowledging that you cannot do anything without God is Wisdom. When you read the book of Proverbs, it continually speaks about a fool. My interpretation of a fool, from reading Proverbs, is someone who does not acknowledge God as sovereign and in control of everything. Someone who believes he can do things on his own. Someone who is prideful. The Bible also states that pride precedes the fall (Proverbs 16: 18) and humility comes before honor (Proverbs 15:13; Proverbs 18:12; Proverbs 22:4).

I am single, in my late thirties and I understand what you are going through. There are SO MANY decisions to be made on a daily basis. In my late twenties, I quit a “good” job (meaning I had a pretty good income) to attend graduate school full-time. BIG MISTAKE. I didn’t finish graduate school and it took me a while to get back to where I was financially. But you know what? God is faithful and he is able.

The biggest thing I learned during that time was how to totally depend on God. I thought I was smart and I thought making a good pay check was everything. You know what I quickly found out? I am nothing without Him. One thing that came about as a result of my mistake was that I began to make it a priority to spend quality time with God every day. During that time, and I continue to do this even today: every morning I rise an hour before it is time for me to get up and spend quality time with my God. I begin by writing down 5 things I am grateful for in my gratitude journal. I then read my Bible. I then read a Christian book. Every morning is not the same, I let the Holy Spirit guide me on how to best spend time with Him. And you know what? He does speak to me. If you do this, you will know things you never could have guessed on your own. People will ask you, “How did you know that?” And you will truthfully answer, “I don’t know, I just do.” That’s the Holy Spirit who will be constantly in communion with you!!! The Bible says he speaks in a still, small, voice (I Kings 19:12). That means that He will not compete with the things of this world to get your attention. IF YOU WANT TO HEAR HIM SPEAK TO YOU, BE STILL, AND HE WILL!

I just gave you a quick run down of how I spend time with Him to give you an idea of how to do it. But let the Holy Spirit guide you. The Bible states he rewards those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). Spending time with Him on a regular basis will allow you diligently seek Him and he will reward you by sharpening your spiritual ears (he will reward you in many different ways).

It has been 10 + years since I have strived to spend consistent time with my Lord every morning. Some mornings are better than others. On some mornings I oversleep. On some mornings I can only do 15 minutes. But don’t let that discourage you, as long as you continue to try, God will honor that. I am a morning person which is probably why the Holy Spirit moved me to get up early. You may be a night person and the Holy Spirit may move you to stay up an hour later before going to bed. If you are a single parent, you may have to spend your time with Him while your kids are napping.

And I understand what SuperNova meant when she said she was mad at God. I’ve been mad at him several times. . . in the past year! The Bible says he is my Husband as well as my Maker (Isaiah 54:5). And how many women have not been mad at their husbands??? He is big enough for your anger. To be honest, I don’t know how anyone who says they have a personal relationship with Him haven’t been mad at Him at some point in the past. How many of us have friends at whom we have NEVER been mad?

The book I am reading now in my quiet time is Just Enough Light for the Step I am On by Stormie Omartian and I highly recommend it. (I got it on sale for $5 at LifeWay Christian Store). How do I know what book to read during my quiet time with Him? I usually go to the Christian bookstore (or sometimes other bookstores, or even the book section at Wal-Mart) and I am often led by the Holy Spirit to the exact book which speaks to my spirit. There is an Chinese proverb which says, “When the student is ready, the teacher shows up.” Don’t be discouraged, if you spend time with Him, he will speak to you. He may not speak to you during quiet time with Him, but He will speak. And even today, I am still amazed at the "awesome-ness" of God and some of the methods he uses to speak to me. I am still a work-in-progress, but I am so grateful to be a student of the Teacher of the Universe.

Another suggestion, read different versions of the Bible, you will be amazed at how different versions (New King James, New International Version, Living Bible, Amplified Bible, etc.) help you to better interpret and understand different scriptures.

Anyway, I know this post was long, but that’s my two pennies. . .

Casarela

thank you for your reply and every other reply . Thank you for enlightening me ladies I really appreciate since ive been coming to this forums I feel things moving aroung in my life in every aspect and I know theres more to come. I am very grateful to you for sharing your knowledge . Everytime I come on the forum in this section and read this section I feel refreshed ...Because my goal is to re-establish that relationship with God that was once in my life and since I turned away my life turned into HAVOC..and a big mess. Slowly but surely I have this confidence and feel it deep down inside it was time for me to go back to where I once was.

Psalm 111:10, Proverbs 1:7, and Proverbs 9:10 all state that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. I believe that recognizing and acknowledging that you cannot do anything without God is Wisdom. When you read the book of Proverbs, it continually speaks about a fool. My interpretation of a fool, from reading Proverbs, is someone who does not acknowledge God as sovereign and in control of everything. Someone who believes he can do things on his own. Someone who is prideful. The Bible also states that pride precedes the fall (Proverbs 16: 18) and humility comes before honor (Proverbs 15:13; Proverbs 18:12; Proverbs 22:4).

I am single, in my late thirties and I understand what you are going through. There are SO MANY decisions to be made on a daily basis. In my late twenties, I quit a “good” job (meaning I had a pretty good income) to attend graduate school full-time. BIG MISTAKE. I didn’t finish graduate school and it took me a while to get back to where I was financially. But you know what? God is faithful and he is able.

The biggest thing I learned during that time was how to totally depend on God. I thought I was smart and I thought making a good pay check was everything. You know what I quickly found out? I am nothing without Him. One thing that came about as a result of my mistake was that I began to make it a priority to spend quality time with God every day. During that time, and I continue to do this even today: every morning I rise an hour before it is time for me to get up and spend quality time with my God. I begin by writing down 5 things I am grateful for in my gratitude journal. I then read my Bible. I then read a Christian book. Every morning is not the same, I let the Holy Spirit guide me on how to best spend time with Him. And you know what? He does speak to me. If you do this, you will know things you never could have guessed on your own. People will ask you, “How did you know that?” And you will truthfully answer, “I don’t know, I just do.” That’s the Holy Spirit who will be constantly in communion with you!!! The Bible says he speaks in a still, small, voice (I Kings 19:12). That means that He will not compete with the things of this world to get your attention. IF YOU WANT TO HEAR HIM SPEAK TO YOU, BE STILL, AND HE WILL!

I just gave you a quick run down of how I spend time with Him to give you an idea of how to do it. But let the Holy Spirit guide you. The Bible states he rewards those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). Spending time with Him on a regular basis will allow you diligently seek Him and he will reward you by sharpening your spiritual ears (he will reward you in many different ways).

It has been 10 + years since I have strived to spend consistent time with my Lord every morning. Some mornings are better than others. On some mornings I oversleep. On some mornings I can only do 15 minutes. But don’t let that discourage you, as long as you continue to try, God will honor that. I am a morning person which is probably why the Holy Spirit moved me to get up early. You may be a night person and the Holy Spirit may move you to stay up an hour later before going to bed. If you are a single parent, you may have to spend your time with Him while your kids are napping.

And I understand what SuperNova meant when she said she was mad at God. I’ve been mad at him several times. . . in the past year! The Bible says he is my Husband as well as my Maker (Isaiah 54:5). And how many women have not been mad at their husbands??? He is big enough for your anger. To be honest, I don’t know how anyone who says they have a personal relationship with Him haven’t been mad at Him at some point in the past. How many of us have friends at whom we have NEVER been mad?

The book I am reading now in my quiet time is Just Enough Light for the Step I am On by Stormie Omartian and I highly recommend it. (I got it on sale for $5 at LifeWay Christian Store). How do I know what book to read during my quiet time with Him? I usually go to the Christian bookstore (or sometimes other bookstores, or even the book section at Wal-Mart) and I am often led by the Holy Spirit to the exact book which speaks to my spirit. There is an Chinese proverb which says, “When the student is ready, the teacher shows up.” Don’t be discouraged, if you spend time with Him, he will speak to you. He may not speak to you during quiet time with Him, but He will speak. And even today, I am still amazed at the "awesome-ness" of God and some of the methods he uses to speak to me. I am still a work-in-progress, but I am so grateful to be a student of the Teacher of the Universe.

Another suggestion, read different versions of the Bible, you will be amazed at how different versions (New King James, New International Version, Living Bible, Amplified Bible, etc.) help you to better interpret and understand different scriptures.

Chrissy811

That is a good book, I read it a while ago and of course I loaned it and never got it back, but by the favor of God I bought a brand new copy just this weekend at a yard sale for a .25. I am going to start it this week when I finish the book I am reading now.