**WHY CHRISTIANS MUST STOP PASSING JUDGEMENT ON CHRISTIAN MUSICIANS**

MA2010

I know Muslims, Buddhists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons that are way nicer. One of my mom's friends said that before she became a Christian she was studying or practicing (as you can see I don't know what you call it:) ) to be a Jehovah's Witness and that they were sooooo nice. Way nicer than most Christians she had encountered. She just believes that Christianity is the right religion so that is why she decided to stick with it. And I have witnessed that too. If you ask most non Christians what they think of Christians they will tell you they are judgemental, hyprocritical and just plain mean sometimes and a whole bunch of "youcan't do this and you can't do that". Heck, if a non Christian read this thread they might think that.

Also, I think that Mary Mary's goal is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. But to a wider audience than just older Christians. She wants to affect young people and the older generation and alot of Christian songs are just kinda boring or the same old sound. I personally like contemporary stuff like Israel and I also like the Katinas (Not sure if you've heard of them) and other groups when it comes to my Christian music.

I agree that if you decide to go into the gospel genre that you have to know that you are set apart from other genres. But, you still have to appeal to those that buy music and the younger crowd are the people that truly buy music and download(That's a true statistic). But, you have to also know that you will never please everybody and at the end of the day just try your best.

And trust me I'm not judging what you're saying at all. I understand that we all have opinions and that we are free to express them:)

P.S. I like your hair in your sig.

I can see what your mom means and thanks girlie! Your hair is beautiful!!!

To the bolded: Mary Mary and all of us who believe in Jesus Christ should only be concerned with appealing to HIM first and foremost!!!

I know it seems like a lot of scrutiny towards Mary Mary.

I really feel they should be more aware of their celebrity (whatever that means....lol) and appeal to the Lord first before stepping in front of millions of impressionable kids and ADULTS!!!! :yep:

queenspence

AMEN TO THAT! We should strive to please HIM not them!

I can see what your mom means and thanks girlie! Your hair is beautiful!!!

To the bolded: Mary Mary and all of us who believe in Jesus Christ should only be concerned with appealing to HIM first and foremost!!!

I know it seems like a lot of scrutiny towards Mary Mary.

I really feel they should be more aware of their celebrity (whatever that means....lol) and appeal to the Lord first before stepping in front of millions of impressionable kids and ADULTS!!!! :yep:

Netta1

Stop hating on Mary Mary, please just support them and buy their music. And do the same for every Christian artist that you hear and enjoy... because they are probably broke trying to give a good word to everyone around them.

What do you mean when you say, "just" support them?

divya

I know Muslims, Buddhists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons that are way nicer. One of my mom's friends said that before she became a Christian she was studying or practicing (as you can see I don't know what you call it:) ) to be a Jehovah's Witness and that they were sooooo nice. Way nicer than most Christians she had encountered. She just believes that Christianity is the right religion so that is why she decided to stick with it. And I have witnessed that too. If you ask most non Christians what they think of Christians they will tell you they are judgemental, hyprocritical and just plain mean sometimes and a whole bunch of "youcan't do this and you can't do that". Heck, if a non Christian read this thread they might think that.

Also, I think that Mary Mary's goal is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. But to a wider audience than just older Christians. She wants to affect young people and the older generation and alot of Christian songs are just kinda boring or the same old sound. I personally like contemporary stuff like Israel and I also like the Katinas (Not sure if you've heard of them) and other groups when it comes to my Christian music.

I agree that if you decide to go into the gospel genre that you have to know that you are set apart from other genres. But, you still have to appeal to those that buy music and the younger crowd are the people that truly buy music and download(That's a true statistic). But, you have to also know that you will never please everybody and at the end of the day just try your best.

And trust me I'm not judging what you're saying at all. I understand that we all have opinions and that we are free to express them:)

P.S. I like your hair in your sig.

Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200704b/article_01.htm

http://www.watchtower.org/e/19960201/article_02.htm

So basically the nicest people she knew were Christians, just not part of mainstream Christianity.

luvn_life

Oh ok. I was actually asking because of your comments and wondering about your experiences with other religions...

Yeah we have a little bit of everything out here:grin: I haven't had any experiences with the religions. I have only had exeriences with the people... If that makes sense:look:

luvn_life

Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200704b/article_01.htm

http://www.watchtower.org/e/19960201/article_02.htm

So basically the nicest people she knew were Christians, just not part of mainstream Christianity.

REALLY!!! I did not know that... Seriously, I didn't. So what makes them different from being a denomination from Christianity. I had a friend in high school and I don't remember what it was but their interpretation of Jesus is different from Christians... At least that's what she told me.

divya

REALLY!!! I did not know that... Seriously, I didn't. So what makes them different from being a denomination from Christianity. I had a friend in high school and I don't remember what it was but their interpretation of Jesus is different from Christians... At least that's what she told me.

This is somewhat true. They believe that one must believe on Jesus Christ for salvation, which makes them Christians. But they do not believe that He is God. They believe that Christ is lower and was created by God. That is where they differ from other Christians, but they are Christian. Maybe a JW can confirm and expound for me.

Here are their beliefs:
http://www.watchtower.org/e/jt/index.htm

jaszymeen

*waves i guess i'm from the younger crowd. even though i'm only 19 i grew up listening to fred hammond, mississippi mass (and basically every other mass choir out lol), john p kee and i guess all the other "old" artists. i guess from a young age i learned to appreciate good gospel music and half the crap that comes out now i am so confused i never thought i would see the day i turned on the radio to praise 92.1 and hear a "rap" song.:nono::nono::nono: i swear you could play the same songs at a party and people would be so busy bumpin to the beat you wouldn't even know it was a gospel song.

i think the problem comes from a lot of people around my age not knowing what gospel music really is and what its about. they havent learned to look for the message they're so worried about whether the song has a "tight beat" or not. half these songs christian artist are putting out now days are focusing on just talking about typical aspects of being a christian and there is no real message which is why im really not a fan of gospel rap (but thats another story).

even though a lot of artists are switching up their music to appeal to the younger crowd they're losing the message. imo they're conforming too much to the world just to get their music to sell. my dad has a lot of mary mary's earlier cd's a there's a good group of songs i like but this new song by them i heard on the radio a couple weeks back:nono: i couldnt do anything but drop my jaw in disbelief. i was like "Is this Mary Mary:blush:? It can't be". if rap songs with a little God thrown in there is the future of gospel music then i worry for future generations. i'm clutching onto my cassettes and cds for my children :look:

momi

You did not know that because they are not. :nono:

There are many reasons why this is the case, however not believing that Jesus is God is primary. They believe He is some type of archangel. Only God has the power to forgive sin and rebuke satan...

In addition, they claimed that Jesus was coming back in 1914 (yeah I know many who call themselves Christians are guilty of date setting) however it was never part of our doctrine as a whole.

momi

*waves i guess i'm from the younger crowd. even though i'm only 19 i grew up listening to fred hammond, mississippi mass (and basically every other mass choir out lol), john p kee and i guess all the other "old" artists. i guess from a young age i learned to appreciate good gospel music and half the crap that comes out now i am so confused i never thought i would see the day i turned on the radio to praise 92.1 and hear a "rap" song.:nono::nono::nono: i swear you could play the same songs at a party and people would be so busy bumpin to the beat you wouldn't even know it was a gospel song.

i think the problem comes from a lot of people around my age not knowing what gospel music really is and what its about. they havent learned to look for the message they're so worried about whether the song has a "tight beat" or not. half these songs christian artist are putting out now days are focusing on just talking about typical aspects of being a christian and there is no real message which is why im really not a fan of gospel rap (but thats another story).

even though a lot of artists are switching up their music to appeal to the younger crowd they're losing the message. imo they're conforming too much to the world just to get their music to sell. my dad has a lot of mary mary's earlier cd's a there's a good group of songs i like but this new song by them i heard on the radio a couple weeks back:nono: i couldnt do anything but drop my jaw in disbelief. i was like "Is this Mary Mary:blush:? It can't be". if rap songs with a little God thrown in there is the future of gospel music then i worry for future generations. i'm clutching onto my cassettes and cds for my children :look:

enough said... :yep::yep::yep:

divya

Thank you for sharing. :yep:

divya

You did not know that because they are not. :nono:

There are many reasons why this is the case, however not believing that Jesus is God is primary. They believe He is some type of archangel. Only God has the power to forgive sin and rebuke satan...

In addition, they claimed that Jesus was coming back in 1914 (yeah I know many who call themselves Christians are guilty of date setting) however it was never part of our doctrine as a whole.

What is the criteria for someone to be a Christian?

Secondly, date setting does not negate anyone's Christianity. The Great Disappointment included Baptists (began with one), Methodists, Presbyterians etc. It was not part of their doctrines but are your claiming that these groups were not Christians?

Also, wasn't their belief about 1914 not that it was the "second coming" but that the date was the start of the "last days"/"end times" and the heavenly kingdom?

Last edited:

royalty84

Well, the criteria for salvation is believing/recieving Christ into your heart as LORD. It's also evident by the display of love (loving God enough to keep his commandments, and loving others as yourself).

As far as the JWs go, I've personally studied with them, and as nice & sweet as they are, they ARE a cult, not Christians. They study the rebuttals of Christians and switch things up as they go. My pastor has old watchtowers, bibles,etc. and its obvious that they do a wonderful job at butchering up the bible/doctorine, and using all the other tactics that any other cult would use to get you in. Read John 1 in their bible, and read it in a more "standard" version (KJV, NIV,ect.) and see how they jack the word up to fit their beliefs. They base their salvation on their works(i.e. going door to door) which we know is was the bible is against, because salvation is thru grace. There's a whole lot more I can say about it, but I gotta get back to work :sekret: lol

divya

Well, the criteria for salvation is believing/recieving Christ into your heart as LORD. It's also evident by the display of love (loving God enough to keep his commandments, and loving others as yourself).

As far as the JWs go, I've personally studied with them, and as nice & sweet as they are, they ARE a cult, not Christians. They study the rebuttals of Christians and switch things up as they go. My pastor has old watchtowers, bibles,etc. and its obvious that they do a wonderful job at butchering up the bible/doctorine, and using all the other tactics that any other cult would use to get you in. Read John 1 in their bible, and read it in a more "standard" version (KJV, NIV,ect.) and see how they jack the word up to fit their beliefs. They base their salvation on their works(i.e. going door to door) which we know is was the bible is against, because salvation is thru grace. There's a whole lot more I can say about it, but I gotta get back to work :sekret: lol

The JWs official website declares the faith to be a Christian. If the bold is the criteria, then who are we to state that JWs are not Christians?

It is not true that JWs believe that salvation is through works. What they do NOT believe that people are "once saved always saved." That is an error that is pervasive within mainstream Christianity. What they believe is that "belief prompts action." See their website...

Many people have been told that "believing on Jesus" is a single act and that our faith does not have to be strong enough to prompt obedience. But the Bible disagrees. Jesus did not say that people who begin the Christian course are saved. Instead, he said: "He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved." (Matthew 10:22) The Bible likens our Christian course to a race, with salvation being the prize at its end. And it urges: "Run in such a way that you may attain it."—1 Corinthians 9:24.

Thus, "accepting Christ" involves far more than just accepting the blessings that Jesus' superlative sacrifice offers. Obedience is required. The apostle Peter says that judgment starts "with the house of God," and adds: "Now if it starts first with us, what will the end be of those who are not obedient to the good news of God?" (1 Peter 4:17) So we must do more than simply hear and believe. The Bible says that we must "become doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving [ourselves] with false reasoning."—James 1:22.http://www.watchtower.org/e/19960201/article_02.htm

We do not earn salvation by doing these things, for no human could ever do enough to merit such an astounding blessing. We are not worthy of this magnificent gift, though, if we fail to demonstrate our love and obedience by doing the things that the Bible says God and Christ want us to do. Without works to demonstrate our faith, our claim to follow Jesus would fall far short, for the Bible clearly states: "Faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself."—James 2:17

While I do not agree with a significant portion of their doctrine, there is certain doctrine that is on point with Scriptures. Too many mainstream Christians are quick to call non-mainstream groups cults, when the truth is that their own mainstream denominations accept cult-like, pagan practices that have been combined with Christianity over the years.

Last edited:

momi

What is the criteria for someone to be a Christian?

Secondly, date setting does not negate anyone's Christianity. The Great Disappointment included Baptists (began with one), Methodists, Presbyterians etc. It was not part of their doctrines but are your claiming that these groups were not Christians?

Also, wasn't their belief about 1914 not that it was the "second coming" but that the date was the start of the "last days"/"end times" and the heavenly kingdom?

No, date setting does not negate ones salvation - it is just a bit of history about the JW... as indicated in my initial post others have done this as well, it is just not part of the doctrine as a whole, just random "believers"
And no it was not the start of the end times, this was later changed after the prediction did not come to pass.

What makes one a Christian is the belief in Jesus to cover and forgive sin, without that we can have no relationship with God. There arent enough good works or soul winning to grant us access to the kindgom. Without Jesus' blood there is no remission of sin. Jesus can only forgive sin because He is God. If you dont believe He is God, who is taking care of your sin?

Again, there are many other examples of the JW twisting scripture - IMHO this one is most significant.

divya

No, date setting does not negate ones salvation - it is just a bit of history about the JW... as indicated in my initial post others have done this as well, it is just not part of the doctrine as a whole, just random "believers"
And no it was not the start of the end times, this was later changed after the prediction did not come to pass.

What makes one a Christian is the belief in Jesus to cover and forgive sin, without that we can have no relationship with God. There arent enough good works or soul winning to grant us access to the kindgom. Without Jesus' blood there is no remission of sin. Jesus can only forgive sin because He is God. If you dont believe He is God, who is taking care of your sin?

Again, there are many other examples of the JW twisting scripture - IMHO this one is most significant.

Agree with the bold - see the posted information from their website. I believe Jesus is God, and so I strong disagree with their stance on His Divinity. However, it is only fair to be truthful when it comes to their actual beliefs.

Ramya

Please be careful with lumping all artists together because of the disappointments of others. This whole gospel *rap* genre is a new thing but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it based on 1 or 2 artists that missed the mark. There are artists that are biblical and genuine. I believe that God gives us all gifts that can be used for His glory. All of us can't sing but some of us can write. Rappers are typically poets and writers and maybe that's their way of praising God. Why not use your talent for God? Singing is not the only way to make a joyful noise unto the Lord. As with all media, the content is important. If the content is scriptural and the delivery is appropriate, what's the issue?

blazingthru

Too many mainstream Christians are quick to call non-mainstream groups cults, when the truth is that their own mainstream denominations accept cult-like, pagan practices that have been combined with Christianity over the years.

I agree 100% imagine my shock when I searched the bible for Lent, Easter, and other "spiritual" celebrations only to find its not in there they are man made and they follow a tradition with not very good roots. Yet many churches practice.

royalty84

Please be careful with lumping all artists together because of the disappointments of others. This whole gospel *rap* genre is a new thing but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it based on 1 or 2 artists that missed the mark. There are artists that are biblical and genuine. I believe that God gives us all gifts that can be used for His glory. All of us can't sing but some of us can write. Rappers are typically poets and writers and maybe that's their way of praising God. Why not use your talent for God? Singing is not the only way to make a joyful noise unto the Lord. As with all media, the content is important. If the content is scriptural and the delivery is appropriate, what's the issue?

So True! I dare anyone to listen to gospel rap artists such as Lecrae, ShoBaraka, Trip Lee, Flame, & Tedashi, and tell me that they don't deliver! Their songs are more edifying and preach more of the gospel than the songs from many of these gospel singers out here who sing the same old tired stuff over & over again as if there's a recession on creativity :wallbash:

So True! I dare anyone to listen to gospel rap artists such as Lecrae, ShoBaraka, Trip Lee, Flame, & Tedashi, and tell me that they don't deliver! Their songs are more edifying and preach more of the gospel than the songs from many of these gospel singers out here who sing the same old tired stuff over & over again as if there's a recession on creativity :wallbash:

My 15 year old daughter listens to Christian Rap, Christian Hip Hop and Contemporary Christian. I prefer her listen to this instead of Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy and many other secular artists. If you have teenagers, what do they listen to?

Pooks

Too many mainstream Christians are quick to call non-mainstream groups cults, when the truth is that their own mainstream denominations accept cult-like, pagan practices that have been combined with Christianity over the years.

I agree 100% imagine my shock when I searched the bible for Lent, Easter, and other "spiritual" celebrations only to find its not in there they are man made and they follow a tradition with not very good roots. Yet many churches practice.

Off topic but these posts are on point, I totally agree. Do the research and find that many so called "Christian" holidays/festivals originate from paganistic celebrations/rituals... I do not celebrate Lent, Easter, Christmas, etc for all these reasons.

Pooks

My 15 year old daughter listens to Christian Rap, Christian Hip Hop and Contemporary Christian. I prefer her listen to this instead of Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy and many other secular artists. If you have teenagers, what do they listen to?

IMO musical preference changes with age and spiritual maturity. Let her be a teen, as long as she is listening to gospel rap, etc I wouldn't sweat it but be happy, its waaaaaay better than listening to the foolishness n filth R&B artists put out there - as she gets older her tastes may well change.
It's my experience that as you mature (in age and/or in the Lord) your preference tends to move to less 'worldly' sounding music/artists and more towards worshipful edifying musical 'food' for your soul. Don't get me wrong, I still love listening to and singing 'urban', reggae and other kinds of contemporary gospel music as well as old classics, choir songs and worship music that will transform an atmosphere and literally usher you into the presence of God.

Pooks

In response to OP's post, we know it is hard for Christian artists to put out records, and it costs alot, etc. But they are public figures, out there and people will give their opinions and pass judgement, just the same way as people talk about secular artists. Its part of the territory.

Being a Christian artist you have alot more to live up to - does my life and music please God? Is my music edifying to the hearer? And yes Christians will speak up if they feel the message is off, too diluted, altogether absent or tainted too much with worldly influence, and rightly so, IMO.