Why do folks hate Asian BSS owners?

LadyPaniolo

I've seen lots of comments on here about driving those Asians out of business, and how they are preying on our community by running a BSS. I don't get the anger. :confused:

I mean, yeah there are lots of crappy products in the BSS, but that is because the customers WANT those products. I remember when I had no clue how to care for my hair, I thought Blue Magic was the business. :wallbash: If they didnt' have it at the BSS, I would have just taken my money someplace else to cop some.

Do you really think the 45 yo Korean man behind the counter KNOWS that mineral oil is drying to our hair if we use it before a moisturizer instead of after a moisturizer? He knows that he sells X number of units of Blue Magic, so that's why he stocks it. :shrug:

Yeah, a lot of BSS have beaucoup weave in there... but weaves aren't inherently damaging, right? Look at Glamazon, for instance. She stays in weaves and her hair looks great. There are lots of girls who use weave as a protective style. And it's not like they are forcing us to buy it. If it didn't sell, they wouldnt' stock it.

I've never had bad customer service at an Asian owned BSS (which is not true of other Asian-owned businesses). The 2 in my area that I currently visit are so friendly! The one guy jumps up and RUNS over to open the door for me when I come in with my kids (maybe b/c he knows I drop a grip in there! :lachen:). The other store owner is so nice... he's always willing to help me find stuff and even suggests ways to get a similar style for less money.

So why do so many folks harbor anger and hatred toward Asian BSS owners?

Fair disclosure:
Yes, I'm married to an Asian guy, and I do bring my little hapa angels to the BSS with me... But DH is Japanese, and these store owners are Korean. If anything, that would make them treat me WORSE, not better. :look: There's no love lost there.

I welcome your thoughts on the matter.

Keen

I don't think it is for any of the reasons you listed. From what I see, it is because they make it hard for anyone who is not Korean to compete. I saw a documentary that says the korean suppliers whould not sale to anyone who is not Korean. So if everyone else can't buy wholesale at the same cheap rate the Koreans are buying it is hard for them to compete.

SparklingFlame

I dont really blame the Asians/Koreans for owning BSS's in the black community.

We dropped the ball on that one. Plain and simple. We dropped it, they picked it up and ran with it.

They saw a need that wasnt being fulfilled, and they supplied the need.

The issue that I have with some of them is the blatant disrespect and contempt they show toward black people, who are the very ones lining their pockets.

That also stands true for any other merchant who takes your money and then spits in your face.

Last edited:

SparklingFlame

I don't think it is for any of the reasons you listed. From what I see, it is because they make it hard for anyone who is not Korean to compete. I saw a documentary that says the korean suppliers whould not sale to anyone who is not Korean. So if everyone else can't buy wholesale at the same cheap rate the Koreans are buying it is hard for them to compete.
I dont know how tue that is.

This weekend I went to a BSS owned by some black Arabs and they had EVERYTHING in there! Mostly weave (of course) but there were well stocked.

We had a member here who opened up a BSS and I asked her if she had any issues with ordering supplies and she told me no.

truequeen06

Sometimes I get irritated when they're in our communities and won't even hire ONE black person. In terms of customer service, I've had both good and bad. Honestly most times it's a cultural difference and sometimes, I can't even blame them for being rude because I've seen some IGNORANT black people in the BSS doing unnecessary things . . . Idk, I guess it goes both ways.

chokolate miss

We dropped the ball on that one. Plain and simple. We dropped it, they picked it up and ran with it.

The issue that I have with some of them is the blatant disrespect and contempt they show toward black people, who are the very ones lining their pockets.

That also stands true for any other merchant who takes your money and then spits in your face.

ITA with the bolded. I do not like going into any store and being followed, for fear that I am going to steal something. Now this is not all store owners. We all know you can't lump all people together, but I have had many experiences like this. I also think hate is a very strong word and do not use it freely. I don't think the BSS owners are hated, per se...

LadyPaniolo

I can see how anyone who treats you like garbage isn't going to warm your heart.

The thing is I've lived in 6 states and have yet to get bad treatment at a BSS. I guess if the one down the way from you treats you poorly, you should go to another business that respects its customers..

Not saying YOU as an individual, but a general you, as in "one should shop elsewhere"

Keen

I dont know how tue that is.

This weekend I went to a BSS owned by some black Arabs and they had EVERYTHING in there! Mostly weave (of course) but there were well stocked.

We had a member here who opened up a BSS and I asked her if she had any issues with ordering supplies and she told me no.

If you're talking about the same member that I know of. Her store is also closed. She had no problem getting supplies but at what price?

In that same documentary, some black beauty tools entrepreneurs also complain that asian BSS would not carry they products. You would hardly many name brand supplies on those stores, it is a lot of generics which are really knock offs. Some Asian countries have no respect for patent and that already piss me off. So it does not take much for me to believe that they rather make knock offs for huge profit then carrying the real products.

LadyPaniolo

ITA with the bolded. I do not like going into any store and being followed, for fear that I am going to steal something. Now this is not all store owners. We all know you can't lump all people together, but I have had many experiences like this. I also think hate is a very strong word and do not use it freely. I don't think the BSS owners are hated, per se...

Yes, I have had that experience as well, being followed like I was a criminal. :wallbash: DH went in there and screamed on that man so tough I thought his eardrums would never work again, lol.

That kind of stuff can happen in any store, though, by any race of worker. I've had white people, hispanics (the worst in my experience) and Arabs do this to me. :wallbash:

Honi

There is no board.
I don’t hate them. I just don’t buy from them anymore.

Check out BOBSAone.org. There is a You-tube documentary in there somewhere. One of the gripes was that the Asian distributors often refuse to sell to AA owned beauty supply store owners or make it hard for them to get products. What was “ours” has now been eroded by their presence so to speak.

There was also mention about how they are able to copy everything and sell it cheap. Things such as shampoos, conditioners, marcel irons, flat irons, etc may not be authentic.

It was really interesting to watch.

fletches

In my area, the way they treat the customers who line their pockets is a no-no:nono:. I will often go to the black BSS that has a smaller selection just to get better customer service. And really, what do those Asian BSS's know about black hair? I'd rather go to a black BSS so if I have any questions, at least they are somewhat knowledgable.

LadyPaniolo

Knockoff products are a risk, unfortunately. :sad: Any of you ladies remember the fake toothpaste with antifreeze in it last year? And the tainted milk, pet food, eggs, meat etc with melamine in it? And the lead paint on toys... etc etc etc... this is a problem in all areas of our economy, sadly.

LadyPaniolo

In my area, the way they treat the customers who line their pockets is a no-no:nono:. I will often go to the black BSS that has a smaller selection just to get better customer service. And really, what do those Asian BSS's know about black hair? I'd rather go to a black BSS so if I have any questions, at least they are somewhat knowledgable.

Yes, that is so lucky for you that you have knowledgable black business owners in your area. Unfortunately, lots of black folks, even black stylists, don't really know much about how to care for our hair and keep it healthy. Looks like the Asian BSS owners are in good company there.

MizzBrown

Some of these Asians are on the up and up now....i can pick up a bottle of ORS and have the asian man tell me that "this is good stuff"...and the ladies be right in there telling you which wig looks the best on you, etc.

Dommo

Sometimes I get irritated when they're in our communities and won't even hire ONE black person. In terms of customer service, I've had both good and bad. Honestly most times it's a cultural difference and sometimes, I can't even blame them for being rude because I've seen some IGNORANT black people in the BSS doing unnecessary things . . . Idk, I guess it goes both ways.

I live in ny and every bss i go to, there's are always black people working in there. And I agree about the reason some of them are rude. Most good BSS's are in the hood or close to it, and people don't know how to act around there. I get ashamed when i go into a bss and some ignorant a$$ B is cursing the asians out for not giving her a discount or letting her buy a half of pack of hair...I get treated nice because they remember me and I am always kind...

LadyPaniolo

I remember when I lived in Trenton and I had kinda a misunderstanding with a Korean BSS owner, he didn't speak the best English and he just didn't understand what I needed. He offered a solution that just didn't work for me, and I told him "It's not like you would know... you're a MAN."

The next time I went downtown, BOTH the Korean BSS's had hired teenaged black girls to work in there! And ever since that time all the other BSS's in the area had hired black teenagers to help customers. It makes it MUCH easier to shop.

Hairsofab

I think it is rare to find an Asian BSS with good customer service, at least in my experience, and I've lived in many different cities.

SparklingFlame

If you're talking about the same member that I know of. Her store is also closed. She had no problem getting supplies but at what price?

In that same documentary, some black beauty tools entrepreneurs also complain that asian BSS would not carry they products. You would hardly many name brand supplies on those stores, it is a lot of generics which are really knock offs. Some Asian countries have no respect for patent and that already piss me off. So it does not take much for me to believe that they rather make knock offs for huge profit then carrying the real products.
I think that we are part of the blame.

If we would patron only our black owned stores, then the Asians would be forced to stop all that foolishness that they do.

Our BSS's have to charge more b/c they have to pay more, but this is by design.

On that documentary they followed a black girl who was going to an Asian BSS instead of black owned store. She would rather go to the Asians she said, b/c they were cheaper.

We dont realize the power we have if we would only unite but that is something black people have a problem with.

MizAvalon

I can't remember the member's name but I do remember when she let us know that her store had opened. I'm sorry to hear that it's closed already. This economy is truly awful right now.:nono:

LadyPaniolo

Yeah, Dommo, I know exactly what you mean about the chickenheads acting up in the BSS. It's kinda embarassing. But I, like you, am always polite and friendly. I don't try to argue over the price or demand special treatment... and the owners know and love me. Buying tons and tons of products probably helps matters, too, lol!

jeanne516

I live in ny and every bss i go to, there's are always black people working in there. And I agree about the reason some of them are rude. Most good BSS's are in the hood or close to it, and people don't know how to act around there. I get ashamed when i go into a bss and some ignorant a$$ B is cursing the asians out for not giving her a discount or letting her buy a half of pack of hair...I get treated nice because they remember me and I am always kind...

I agree with everything you said here...also, I live in NY too and every BSS i've been to (that is Asian owned of course) had black people working in there - mostly Haitians or Jamaicans.

Knockoff products are a risk, unfortunately. :sad: Any of you ladies remember the fake toothpaste with antifreeze in it last year? And the tainted milk, pet food, eggs, meat etc with melamine in it? And the lead paint on toys... etc etc etc... this is a problem in all areas of our economy, sadly.

The vast majority of these products are manufactured in asian countries...just pointing out what I've noticed.:nono:

brownelovely

ITA with Keen. It's hard for anyone outside of Korean to open a BSS. They have been buying out companies and matter of fact there is even a magazine out there on black hair care written entirely in Korean. They have completely dominated the industry. They know it is one of the most profitable out there. Most salons use items that are now owned/manufactured by Koreans. I think I said that right.

LadyPaniolo

The unfair business practices of squeezing black folks out is just awful. :nono:

Luckily we have lots of small black owned companies starting up, like Hairveda for instance :love3: and we can regain a measure of control over those at least.

Keen

I think that we are part of the blame.

If we would patron only our black owned stores, then the Asians would be forced to stop all that foolishness that they do.

Our BSS's have to charge more b/c they have to pay more, but this is by design.

On that documentary they followed a black girl who was going to an Asian BSS instead of black owned store. She would rather go to the Asians she said, b/c they were cheaper.

We dont realize the power we have if we would only unite but that is something black people have a problem with.

I pray to God that we realize this. As shady some other race be by sticking together and looking out for each other, I can't help but admire their committment to community success.